Base CRM Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Base CRM CEO/Founder Uzi Shmilovici
Uzi Shmilovici

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A lot of great people at the ground floor who are talented and hungry" (in 5 reviews)

• "There are decent benefits, including free lunch" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The normal start-up growing pains" (in 4 reviews)

• "It's also pretty fast-paced, which is fire for some people and fuel for others - you just have to know yourself" (in 3 reviews)

"Android Developer"

Former Employee - Mobile App Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mobile App Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Base CRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand for building sales team,very proffessional working environment

Cons

No Cons as this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Please have more great incentives to customers ,maybe deals & discounts.

"Great product, but bad place to work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Base CRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-BaseCRM has a great product for what it is. Very easy to use and appeals to the blue collar America that has yet to adopt a CRM
    -A lot of great people at the ground floor who are talented and hungry
    -free daily lunch

Cons

-While the product is great, the CEO has the unrealistic approach of targeting Salesforce type of clients. BaseCRM as it is will never be a tool fully used by progressive software companies, it just isn't robust enough
    - Leadership does not listen to the sales reps who are in the trenches daily. Managers, while great people personally, are handcuffed by the CEO. There is no autonomy or transparency

Advice to Management

People keep leaving. You only announce departures when it's on your terms. You don't face the reality of why this is not a good place to work. There is a lot wrong with this company, but to start -- there needs to be transparency across the board. On topics like our investors, our enterprise deals, our internal conflicts. Otherwise there will be no trust, which is the case as it stands.

"Promising Company, Poor Management"

I worked at Base CRM full-time

Pros

Teams are full of nice, intelligent people who are easy to work with. Everyone has high hopes for their projects, and works hard. There are decent benefits, including free lunch.

Cons

There's a lot of micromanagement from senior leadership. Seems like they don't trust employees and aren't willing to relinquish control.

The culture is sad and people seem to be frustrated with how the business is run. The attrition rate is very high (60%+), and leadership shows no concern.

The office spaces are depressing and demotivating. The offices have no character, no decor. There's just no positive energy.

Advice to Management

Give your employees ownership. Bring some life to your offices. Work on culture.

"WARNING! Horrible company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Base CRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Aside from most of the management, I met some great people who will be friends moving forward
    - It was a good stepping stone to where I am now

Cons

I really wanted to take time to reflect before writing this review, and now is the time because I want to warn anyone considering this place for employment (especially since they just had a massive layoff today).

- First and foremost, the senior leadership here is egotistic, micromanaging, and unwilling to listen to ideas that may actually benefit the company.

- They try to represent themselves as a "flat" organization, with an open door policy. What they actually mean is you have to conform to their ideas or else they don't want to hear it.

- There is little to no transparency as to what is happening and all management likes to do is sugar-coat things and make excuses or pass off blame to recently fired employees/management.

- I know for a fact that some women felt uncomfortable by a male on management team. But there is no real HR, so who where they supposed to report it to?

- Many people have been disrespected, undervalued, and belittled.

- There was not positivity, and I heard it has only gone more downhill and one of the offices if a ghosttown because so many people have either left or been fired.

Advice to Management

The damage is done. Base really could have been great.

"sinking ship or burning building?"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Base CRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great product, amazing people, mediocre free lunch, solid benefits

Cons

When there are problems, lots of people have to say something before they are talked about, but nothing ever happens. The attrition rate was nearing 60% when I left. When this was brought up to the *people* who should care *they* said, in an all-hands "this is not something that worries me." People are unhappy there. The pay is not up to par whatsoever with other companies. You don't get equity... You are expected to work far too hard/much for such little pay to be working in such a sad place - it just feels like the wheels are spinning there, sometimes backward.
    It doesn't help that there are three offices, one in Poland (many people never even communicate with the different countries), one in SF and one in Mountain View one is depressing, it's giant, and there are maybe 20 people there, it feels like a deserted, dark, empty & abandoned city. The SF one is cramped and has broken doors and stained carpet and lacking any character.
    There really isn't much of a culture. Everyone seems to be too afraid to say anything to the CEO, which is a shame because if there were people who could collaborate well and actually be willing to make some REAL changes to the company there's a chance that it could really go somewhere.

Advice to Management

This is not for all of the teams. Gain some maturity. Listen to your team. You have the power to make it a more enjoyable environment to work at.

"10 years of experience in 3 years"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Base CRM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge opportunity for advancement, career growth, and honing your skills. In three years I have had as many promotions. Many of my peers have been promoted internally or used Base as a springboard to get amazing jobs in other organizations.

Expect to be surrounded by professionals who are hungry to become experts in everything they do. The people here are brilliant and driven. Everyone is happy to help out in any way possible but always holds their peers accountable. There is a work hard play hard culture built on trust and autonomy.

This is a tight knit team that forms deep relationships. I moved out here with no friends and now I have a family. No joke, I have been to weddings, found roommates, best friends, ski trips, etc etc.

Cons

Nothing worth having comes easy. There are no free rides here and everything must be earned. To put it bluntly, middle performers are going to have a really tough time here.

Constant change. We a scrappy business doing battle against juggernauts in a very crowded space. Things move fast and change is constant.

Turnover... Unfortunately, because of the first two points, there is a decent amount of turnover. Everyone says they want a fast paced environment and a real challenge but in reality, it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stay nimble but don't move too fast. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It is going to be a long road up market.

"Awesome Place to Grow & Get Ahead"

I have been working at Base CRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've met some of the most intelligent and dedicated people I know during my time at Base. Everyone looks out for each other and does their best to help one another succeed - it's truly a cream of the crop workforce.

In my opinion, the best part about Base is that there are tons of opportunities for growth. Leadership is always open to new ideas and trusts you to execute. If you work hard and do a good job, you will 100% get recognized and compensated for it.

Work-life balance is also great. A lot of people are married and have families or serious hobbies, and while we work extremely hard we are encouraged to prioritize personal time as well.

Of course there are the usual perks too: catered lunch every day, $100/month for personal growth, team outings, etc.

Cons

Like most early stage companies, there are growing pains, but that comes with the territory. It's also pretty fast-paced, which is fire for some people and fuel for others - you just have to know yourself.

Advice to Management

As we grow, don't lose sight of fostering company culture, maintaining hiring standards and all the other elements that make Base great!

"Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Base CRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ A lot of opportunities to learn and grow! Management fully trusts you to do your job and really listens to ideas that you have.

+ Flexibility to work between the Mountain View and San Francisco office.

+ You get the tools you need to be successful. My 3rd week at Base I found out about a tool to use that can help me be more productive and it was immediately approved.

+ Great promotional track. This is the place to grow fast!

+ Product is amazing. It's nice to be part of a company where you use the product you sell on a daily basis. You know exactly what you are talking about. Even the recruiting team uses Base!

+ Work smart not hard.

Cons

- Not enough avocados in the kitchen (ha)

- If you are not the type of person that likes to wear multiple hats or balance several projects at once this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to being part of Base's growth and mission of taking on Salesforce. Let's do this and hire some more Enterprise Sellers to join the team to help us get there!

"Customer Success Manager"

I have been working at Base CRM full-time

Pros

Everyone as Base is driven to do their best work, giving employees the freedom to manage their work like their own business. This also provides great potential to grow your own career path. Cross company teams collaborate to foster problem solving and new ideas. Management is motivating but also very understanding of work/life balance.

Cons

Typical start-up issues, runs lean and doesn't always have enough people as needed

Advice to Management

Continuing listening to employee feedback and making changes in the right direction!

"Crossroads"

Former Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Base CRM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base has an amazing product that is a true leader and disruptor when it comes to sales force automation. Enterprise market is wide open for the taking. The people who work here are passionate and hungry for success. Great benefits and growth opportunity. Base is an amazing company with great mission and is executing on its vision.

Cons

Recent leadership change has shifted sales focus from small business to Enterprise. The entire small business team has been going through dramatic change without much support. There also has been a reduction in the marketing investment for the small business team making quota attainment very difficult to reach. The job requirements for those roles have changed and the mid level leadership has shown it is incapable of mitigating this change because they are very green and inexperienced. The mid level managers have failed to help train, mentor, and lead the small business team through the shift in long term business objectives. Most of the team has been left out high and dry - the attrition rate over the past 6 months has been very high because of the the poor leadership amongst these teams. This has led to very low moral and almost zero confidence in mid-level leadership.

Advice to Management

Bring in more experienced and proven leadership that can lead the small business teams to success. Increase investment in team. This will help bring moral and confidence back to these teams so that they can bring an in-demand product to a wide open market.