Behringer Reviews | Glassdoor

1.7
Behringer Founder & CEO Uli Behringer
Uli Behringer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I bought the ticket, I took the ride."

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

With only a couple exceptions, everyone in the Bothell office was great too work with. PTO and Benefits package were generous.

Cons

Pay was well below average, I made about $15k a year less than the median salary for my position. Location was also terrible--I had to commute out to office-park hell in the middle of nowhere.

A lot has been said about the CEO and Senior Management. Most of it is on the mark. It is a company that is perpetually in transition. Most plans and strategies aren't given a fair chance to play out before Senior Management is urged to change the direction, usually at the prodding of CEO. It's a scatterbrained, chaotic approach--one that hasn't paid off considering the turnover, low morale, and the rumored closure of more than one office.

Terms like "Knee-jerk" and "anal-retentive" are in no way an exaggeration and are fairly generous compared to what get thrown around in the office when nobody was listening.

People who show initiative get canned the fastest, due to non-conformity with Uli's "vision." Best to keep your head down and quietly get your work done--or as much as you can considering molasses-slow approvals and critical systems (phone, email, etc) being down more often than not.

I think the team could have gotten a lot done and made the company a boatload of money had Uli, et al stayed out of the way and let us actually do our work.

Quite often I expected the lights to be turned off and the locks changed when I showed up on Monday morning.

Advice to Management

Honestly, Uli... It's time to sell the company.

Your vision for the company is so rigid that you will never find people who match up with your ideas unless you're willing to compromise. As long as you keep your iron grip tight, what happened in the Bothell and UK offices will keep repeating over and over again.

You say you micro-manage because nobody gets the work done right. Nobody will ever get the work done to your standard of "right" until you clone yourself Multiplicity-style.

In the short term, if you want to improve employee morale: treat your employees better.
    Want to solve the turnover problem? Stop %#€£ing firing everybody.

Since that is unlikely to happen, though: Cash in while you can, while there is still a business to sell. With all that extra time you'll finally be able to catch up on your sleep, and there will be plenty of time to play jazz piano.

"Pirated products + Pirate culture + crooked leader = Behringer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Behringer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Behringer was leaving.

Cons

Disturbing use of talents. Engineers don't innovate, they reverse engineer as per the instruction of the sociopathic CEO who thinks he is Steve Jobs (he is not). As an engineer, this is not the place you go to innovate and do great things. This is where you go to learn to rip off other companies designs and recreate them using the absolute cheapest parts.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and retire. You are a cancer to the industry.

"Fear is a weapon..."

Pros

I absolutely made some of the best friends ever!!!.. Above and beyond the daily crap, there was always a laugh, locally, only because we were all in the same sinking boat!!!

Cons

Too much control, not enough understanding of business practice's. Counting on your "trusted" people to give you an answer that they have ABSOLUTELY no clue about. The worst is when you are told the truth, you do whatever you have to do to destroy that person's life.... I live by Karma and I know your's is coming...

Advice to Management

Shut the door!!!

"This place is like a penny....worthless and two-faced!"

Former Employee - Over IT
    Former Employee - Over IT

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

The employees are pretty cool and very hard working. Most are musicians and have a passion for music.

Cons

This place can be classified as a chaotic hell, and the CEO loves the smell of fear and rotting employee corpses. All the negative things that you read on the forums, internet, and on glassdoor are true. It doesn't matter who you are, how amazing you are, or your skill set. You will be set up to fail and become another number. Heed all the warnings and just look for a job elsewhere. Also, the pay is way below average and they might mention the possibility for a raise etc, but I guarantee it will never happen, even if you receive a promotion all you will receive is an "Uli Buck", which can be redeemed for company swag....don't ask, anyways this place is bad! Just run!!!

Advice to Management

You're all ruining your reputations in the industry....when you become regular gossip and the laughing stock of the music industry, you should realize that you are in deep. Cut your losses and run too......

"The worst mistake of my life."

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

Really awesome co-workers. The people who work there are great. For the most part. Watch for spies.

Cons

Uli Behringer is a sociopath, plain and simple. Seriously, you can't imagine how awful it is to work with this nutcase. Rapid turnover. You might have a job and get fired for no reason weeks later. It happens A LOT.

Advice to Management

Uli, go stick your head in a blender you psycho.

"Good Products, Not-so-good Employer"

Former Employee - Senior/Global Position in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Senior/Global Position in Bothell, WA

I worked at Behringer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products for the price point. Plenty of opportunities for battlefield promotions. Sharpens your firefighting skills.

Cons

Paranoia and distrust are rampant, CEO is also the owner, Chairman, Head of R&D, and ridiculously involved in the day-to-day minutia. You've seen the term "knee-jerk reaction" in about a dozen of these reviews, and that is 100% correct. Those decisions led to customer dissatisfaction and lost good will from dealers and distributors. And those fires had to be fought (constantly) by people who were invariably sacrificed to protect the guy who set the fhem. That's what happens when you are accountable to nobody.

Advice to Management

Be accountable for the impact of those knee-jerk and otherwise irrational decisions, and change the process to prevent further damage.

"Plenty of other opportunities in Seattle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at Behringer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is in the same boat
    - Decent local team atmosphere

Cons

- Micromanaged at all levels (Culture pushed by C-level execs)
    - All tasks are monitored at all levels
    - Managers are questioned regularly about their team member's value-add ("why do we even have this person?")
    - Unclear corporate direction
    - Employees forcibly silo'd into roles
    - Processes create dysfunctional environment
    - Pay is below average
    - Stress is extremely high across organization
    - Minimal communication
    - No cross-organizational synchronization
    - Cheap is better than good
    - Fast is better than good
    - Employees are personally blamed for failures of global process or unclear direction from execs
    - Dis-jointed groups that work against each other
    - Focus is on completing tasks, not improving company
    - Unethical management practices both internally and with business partners
    - No Stock
    - No Bonus

Advice to Management

Change the culture
    Hire a business oriented CEO
    Focus on quality of employees, and not quantity

"Run For The Hills"

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

Most of the employees are very pleasant to work with, but upper management is insane

Cons

Salary, Upper Management, Policies, Big Brother Approach, Lack of training on systems, Lack of Communication, Poor Planning, No Bonus Plan, Inability to take a lunch or even go to the restroom without being micromanaged. Maybe the company should implement a hall pass policy so we can eat and go to the restroom in peace! This place was by far the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life!!!!!!! If you see an ad to hire, run for the hills...............You don't want to be sucked into this vortex. You're liable to suffer both physically and mentally if you stay too long. Toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Start Over and hire people that have integrity. The lie, cheat, steal mentality is not a good business model for long term success. You have too many of these types in the organization.

"Leadership and HR Management Challenged"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Marketing in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Marketing in Bothell, WA

Pros

Very Good Products.

Understand Financially Sound.

High level of passion of many employees who are pleased to have the opportunity to work in an industry that is aligned with their love of music.

Cons

Task driven, micromanaging Management Team driven by beliefs and management style of CEO.

CEO, Uli Behringer, sets the tone with extreme micromanagement; task driven and very impatient; poor establishment of expectations and requirements with minimal directional communication; and conflicting behavior whereby praises an employee publicly and then employee released. Senior Management driven to similar management style (actually in our office their seems to be little respect for the individual with unprofessional behavior - swearing at employees should not be tolerated!)

Very high level of change with zero communication on why and general direction of the company.

Culture of fear. CEO visits then question is who will be gone. Everyone in very high panic.

Very poor HR processes - poor appraisal system whereby many employees have had no performance reviews for years; unfair salary management with nil increases over years whereas company does well financially; no knowledge of how to attain promotions; no career planning; and little communication from senior management or direct manager.

Advice to Management

CEO would be better off to work through management team rather than getting directly involved. The company has invested in increasing the breath and depth of the senior management team over the past year. Take advantage of this and maximize their use.

Attain leadership training for senior management. As senior managers improve their leadership capabilities their subordinate managers will improve and the company culture will improve.

Focus on putting in place a HR infrastructure. Recently I was pleased to see that company is undertaking a employee opinion survey and hopefully this will be the impetus of positive change.

"Frustrating"

Former Employee - Happier Now in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Happier Now in Bothell, WA

Pros

The people I worked with are great people who made it a friendly place to work. The common love of music also made it fun, with jam sessions breaking out from time to time, and the occasional potluck or dart contest helping to take our minds off the negative aspects of the culture for awhile. They do know how to party.

Cons

Anal retentive micromanaging by the CEO and in turn the rest of upper management. While I believe that most employees enjoy the actual work they are doing, there is a repressive atmosphere of fear, wondering who will have 'disappeared' the next time they come in the office. There was a period where it was nearly a daily occurrence. Many people who were suddenly gone had just gotten very public praise for the great job they had done (new web site, CEO praised the person in charge in person during a 'town meeting'...the guy was gone within days), like Uli felt threatened by competence. Many people got let go while traveling overseas...I always told people to make sure they had a round-trip ticket.

The CEO doesn't seem to tolerate anyone who has the ability to think for themselves and challenge his ideas...just wants yes-men around him.

Ridiculous e-mail policies and Sharepoint file naming protocols, with Uli personally monitoring and contacting a manager if anyone in their group misplaced an underline. I described these policies while taking a project management class, and the instructor was shocked, saying he'd never heard of such a thing. For a time we had in-office instant messaging which helped get around the oppressive e-mail rules and get quick answers and resolutions to questions. Of course when the powers that be found out we had it, it was abolished because they were unable to monitor what was said. Certainly can't have an efficient way of communicating if 'they' don't know what you're saying.

In the time I worked there I was rarely busy, and as many functions got shipped overseas had even less to do. Although requested many times, additional work never materialized. However, temps were brought in regularly to help out in one department or another.

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging, trust that the people you hire are capable of doing the jobs they're hired for. If you don't trust them, it doesn't say much for your skill in choosing people. Communicate with people in an open and honest manner. They're intelligent enough to understand what's going on and what needs to be done. Quit discouraging people from doing the best job they can by firing them the week after they've completed a project successfully...they aren't a threat, they're an asset to the company.

Do away with inane policies with e-mail and other types of communication, bring back the office IM system for more efficient communication within the office, and do away with the key monitoring system to track everyone's comings and goings.