Bernards Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug Bernards

1. "Treating Me Like Family"

Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruiting in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruiting in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bernards part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very welcoming - Bernards set me up with all I needed (and many things I had never had before) to make sure I felt truly supported to do my job. Upbeat and positive - they love empowering their people. I've never worked for a company like that before and it's awesome! I see many opportunities to learn and grow here and know I will always be supported, compensated and nurtured in the best ways.

Cons

Haven't found any - all experiences have been extremely positive.

Advice to Management

Keep on appreciating your people and supporting their growth!

2. "So Far So Good"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bernards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits; Truck and Gas Card for Superintendents, 401K 3% match, Moving to ESOP in 2017, Medical, Dental, Vision ranges from 100-300 per month for Family of 4. Free for singles, Unlimited time off (Just moved to this)

Cons

Saturday's always involved if in the field. 401K match could be higher, Medical benefits could be cheaper, Salaries pretty competitive.

Advice to Management

Family owned with great management, keep plugging away.

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Good morning and thank you for providing us your experience so far! At Bernards, we are constantly striving to be competitive in the industry with the benefits we offer, including 401K, medical ... More

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bernards full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Such a lovely company! Bernards understood the value of a good employee and rewarded accordingly.

Cons

Regional greatness did not transfer to the national scene. While Bernards is a household name in California, it was difficult to open up in a new market.

Advice to Management

Keep doing it!

Feb 22, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Good morning! I want to thank you for your positive thoughts about your experience working for Bernards. We place a strong focus on the value of a good employee and team member. Hard work and ... More

"SUPERINTENDENT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bernards full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

15 years ago when the Bros put a lot of effort in to making a great company.
    Three years ago came along and so did new leadership that does not fit the original clan
    that made the company what it was.

Cons

The new leaders do not make a good fit to the original ways of getting the jobs done on time .
    With these new leaders the jobs are behind and this means more hours and less pay for the field employees.

Advice to Management

The leaders are not a good fit and does not allow recruitment of great players.
    These leaders tend to play Favorites and the recipe for playing favorites is disastrous.

Jan 9, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

As Director of Corporate Recruiting for Bernards, reading this type of review truly saddens me. It certainly is not a direct representation of the family we currently have, and have built over the ... More

6. "PM"

Pros

When it was Bernards Bros running the day to day operation it was family oriented .

Cons

When all of the family with the last name Bernards left the company for better opportunities things have really changed .

Advice to Management

You are top heavy and will not replace the knowledge or drive with what you had
    Good luck .

Dec 5, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience while working with Bernards. It is our goal to provide the best employee experience possible for each and every member of our ... More

"People make this company what it is"

Current Employee - Director of Recruiting in San Fernando, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Recruiting in San Fernando, CA

I have been working at Bernards full-time

Pros

When I think about the many reasons why I love this company, it always comes down to the people. From the executive leaders and senior management, and filtering down, I have never seen or heard any negativity that is often found in the workplace, such as anger or resentment, or office politics that can distract everyone from the task at hand. It is amazing just how strongly people love working at Bernards, and the same is true with me. My worst night sleep of the week is Sunday evening, as I am so excited to start the work day on Monday morning.

Cons

I have nothing to say but good. Having the opportunity to be with a company that is transitioning to an ESOP giving us ownership, out weighs any petty con I may have.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within and hiring the best people.

8. "Estimator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bernards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great employees. Wonderful working environment

Cons

Slowly learning process. Commerical structure built environment

Advice to Management

Look into google environment

9. "Excellent Career Choice"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bernards full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had very good career opportunities with Bernards. They recognize hard work and are very invested in their employees. Plenty of opportunity to work for advancement in your position and a willingness to help you succeed.

Cons

I cannot really think of anything worthy of the title "con". Bernards does a good job at taking care of you. Any con would industry specific.

Feb 21, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience while working at Bernards. Your kind words and honest experience is one of the many we receive on a weekly basis. At Bernards ... More

10. "Times Have Changed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Fernando, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Fernando, CA

I have been working at Bernards full-time

Pros

There are some great people that work here.

Cons

This company is not what it used to be. They are going through some real changes and struggles. It doesn't seem like they have enough work. Promotions that are being made don't make any sense.

No Job/Position Descriptions
    Reviews use "meets expectations" / "does not meet expectations" but the expectations are unclear
    No training
    Leadership does not seem to be trustworthy

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about what is really going on. Communicate with employees what expectations are and provide proper training to support growth and advancement.

Dec 13, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Good morning and thank you for your feedback. At Bernards, we understand that it takes effective leadership and a strong cohesive team to foster our continued success. With our eye on our ... More

11. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bernards full-time

Pros

Company is growing and there are a lot of good things coming out of that growth. It is starting that have the benefits of a large company (job security, good benefits, etc.) without the downsides that come with working for an nationwide contractor (job relocations, get lost in the system, etc.).

Cons

-Most of the projects I've been on were understaffed , but I was also stuck on some real losers. I understand you're going to have to work some long hours in this industry, but after a few months of 12 hours days help needs to be brought in.
    -There a still a lot of remnants of the good ol boy system that used to be in place. Some of the guys who have been with the company forever have connections to the top that undermine other managers.
    -Because it has grown so much in the last few years, you can sometimes get lost in the system. Mostly it depends on who your project executive and project manager are. Some execs are great managers and some not so much.
    -There isn't much emphasis on team building. Some of these tough projects would be easier to handle if you felt connected with your project team.

Advice to Management

-Get better training programs
    -Support your understaffed jobs better
    -Put more emphasis on team building at your jobsites

Dec 13, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to share your experience while working at Bernards. At Bernards, we understand under-staffing on a commercial construction project is one of the ... More