BioLegend Reviews

Updated Feb 20, 2021

3.1
BioLegend Founder & CEO Gene Lay (no image)
Gene Lay
Pros
  • "Definitely a motivated and fast-growing company(in 8 reviews)

• "great place to start a career in bio(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Very low pay and not very good work to life balance(in 13 reviews)

• "Bad communication from upper management(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Current employee

Nov 21, 2020 - Research Associate in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

able to gain many skills in different areas of the company work life balance

Cons

compensation not much opportunity for career advancement

Be the first to find this review helpful

VP of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am glad to hear that your experience is overall a positive one. In terms of job growth or career advancement, I encourage you to take a look at the open jobs posted, some of which are only posted internally. See if you are interested in any of these roles and feel free to reach out to the hiring manager or the talent acquisition team for more information. Alternatively, discuss with your supervisor about the career path available in your current department. Of course, I am also happy to chat if you want to talk further. Take care.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture and campus.

Feb 19, 2021 - Regulatory Affairs in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful new campus, and nice work culture. Management really cares for everyone and the company has a very bright future.

Cons

Some people do not like change, but change is necessary for improvement!

Be the first to find this review helpful

VP of HR

Thank you for your feedback. Change is never easy but as a dynamic and rapidly growing company, change needs to be a part of our every day lives. We are focusing on our talent acquisition strategies to bring on board strong experienced employees to contribute to our continued success. All the best to you in your BioLegend career.

3. 4.0

Great entry level job

Feb 13, 2021 - Bottling Technician in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers and a cool lab to work in and good pay.

Cons

One red flag about this company is that they posted online that the position was full-time and permanent and it was only after the interview that they said it was going to be temp to hire. I accepted anyways because I wanted that particular position a lot but I think the company should have figured out what they wanted before advertising and interviewing for the job. I had an experience where people got super mad at me for something unavoidable and that was super stressful. It was really disappointing that it didn't work out long-term.

VP of HR

Thank you for your review. I will pass along your feedback to the talent acquisition team and the bottling hiring managers. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here and I wish you all the best in your career.

4. 3.0

Bio Tech Company

Feb 20, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Big brother environment in terms of micromanagement

VP of HR

I appreciate your feedback and I will share it with the customer service leadership team. I agree that we have great people working here! I wish you success in your BioLegend career.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not caring for employees - Lack of transparency

Feb 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Brand new campus, work/life balance

Cons

Individualism, opacy, favoritism, lack of resources, low compensation, lack of career opportunities, poor leadership, no clear information about Covid-19. They always emphasize during interviews about how important team work is. The truth is that they don´t care about team work and there are people who push others down to pretend they are better than the rest, compromising product launch and overall company success. This leads to a very hostile atmosphere within the work place, which upsets employees and difficult everyday work,

VP of HR

I am sorry to hear that your experience at BioLegend is not as positive as it could be. I am happy to discuss with you in more detail - please reach out if you would like to talk. We do have regular all hands meetings and dedicate a good portion of the time to live Q&A where the senior leadership answers any and all questions from staff. Please feel free to ask questions on our LegendNet intranet as well. We have a special feature called Ask BioLegend that I check everyday for questions and always get back to employees right away. We aim for transparency and open communication and I am sorry to hear that you don't feel you are getting that communication.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to start, maybe good place to stay for some

Jan 25, 2021 - Manufacturing Lead in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- You will learn a lot fast but then you will plateau quickly too. - Job is pretty easy. - For the most part, everyone is cool, friendly, and pretty diverse. - Pretty decent campus since it is new. - Company is definitely trending in the right direction - FLEXIBLE HOURS. - I was able to advance pretty fast but was stuck due to positions unavailability and eventually got bored due to no change/repetitiveness and false hopes of getting a better position and eventually lost motivation.

Cons

- Too much micromanaging. - Too much wasted time and down time on reactions. Had 2 hours everyday of free time almost or just waiting. - Was understaffed for a bit. - Pay increase is slow. - Lack of recognition. (sometimes) Not just to myself but others also. At one point I did 3x the work of peers and goes unnoticed. - Lots of gossips. Heard it from both management and associates.

2 people found this review helpful

VP of HR

Thanks for taking time to leave a review. I hope you are enjoying your new role. I will pass along your feedback to the management team for improvement. We have incorporated some guidance on career paths to help our associates drive their development within the company and also taken some major adjustments in our compensation program. Hopefully this addresses some of your concerns. I agree that our people are great and we are proud of our diversity within BioLegend. Take care.

7. 3.0

Meh

Feb 10, 2021 - MA2
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can learn a few things but have to try hard

Cons

Not going to go over it too much, but this company tries to be good but doesn't have good managers to spread vision to the ground

VP of HR

I hope you have found a company that is a good match for you in your career path. I will pass this information along to our Director of Manufacturing for their information and action. I wish you all the best.

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It’s a great stepping stone company

Feb 3, 2021 - Scientist
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company moved to a new location and the buildings are nice

Cons

favoritism, limited career opportunities, very low compensation compared to other companies

VP of HR

We are very proud of our campus facilities so I am glad you are too. In terms of compensation, as outlined in other responses we recently made some significant adjustments and all scientists were reviewed as part of this process. If you have concerns over favoritism, please address with your senior management or feel free to contact me or any member of HR directly.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

good place to start, maybe not to stay long-term

Jan 13, 2021 - Quality Control Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

great place to start a career in bio

Cons

not a lot of guidance on career path

VP of HR

Thanks for leaving feedback. I hope you are doing well in your new role. We have done some work on career pathing and are offering workshops and guidance for employees to drive their development here. Take care.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Trade Offs: Constantly Hiring vs. High Turnover Rate & No Transparency with Covid

Jan 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- flexible hours and still consistently hiring, even during Covid times - willingness to hire people with no industry experience --> helps you take a step into biotech - cool and fun colleagues (we actually used to all hang out and do things before Covid) - potential to learn a lot if you actively seek it out

Cons

- No email/announcement of when people in the company contract Covid!!!! Sure, there's a tab on the company website of potential exposures, but no one knew about it as no announcement was made (it was accidentally found by my colleague). In the beginning of Covid, they had people come into lab to pass information on by word-of-mouth that someone at the company contracted Covid. Now, they don't even send someone: we just hear from local gossip or directly from the source of who contracted Covid - Extremely high turnover rate (at least 10 people in my department have left since I started less than a year ago) --> most likely due to lack of compensation/appreciation - Most leads don't really have leadership skills. They fill the positions because they are the only ones who have stayed long enough to meet the requirements - Disconnect between management and actual associates

2 people found this review helpful

VP of HR

I appreciate your feedback. In terms of COVID notifications, we do still meet with directly affected individuals and teams as needed. All cases are recorded on our intranet site which is accessible to everyone. If you would prefer an email, you can 'follow' the notification page and you will receive an email every time it is updated. We have been transparent and posted all cases since October of 2020 and will continue to do so. If you have any issues with the intranet, reach out to HR and we will help you. We have recently (2/2021) taken adjustments to our compensation program and a majority of our employees received an increase to keep us competitive in a very dynamic industry. In terms of leads and managers, it is an ongoing effort to build the leadership skill set in these individuals. As a quickly growing company, there is a lot of opportunity for people to step up to leadership roles but this comes with its own set of challenges. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if you have concerns or would like to discuss further. Take care.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 119 English Reviews