Biochain Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 8, 2017

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Grace Tian

"This company has potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Biochain Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work for BioChain for well over five years. I have been fortunate to be a part of incredible growth on the sales team. I’ve spent a good part of my time traveling to many cities across the US and introducing our products and services. I have been promoted often and currently I have taken a leadership role. I’ve been with this company for years and I’m still here because I believe in their mission and the products we represent provide convenience for researchers to focus on their work and not on the preparation work.
    This organization has plans to move towards creating products for preventative health and manufacturing pre-screening kits for the public to self screen for certain cancer markers. This company is growing fast, and nothing is ever easy. If you’re not able to maintain and be present, you will be left in the dust.

Cons

With all my success in this company, it would have been nice to be offered professional development and/or leadership mentoring. The only con to this job is they do not have offsite sales positions so you’re not stuck in the office all day.

Advice to Management

I hope current managers, future managers and current employees at this company are all treated and rewarded equally for all the hours and hard work that we’ve put in. Please continue to add more benefits to the employees and additional perks. This company has a lot of potential to provide great products to the scientific world.

"Great group of peope"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Newark, CA

I have been working at Biochain Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The lab team has a great group of people. We grab lunch together and hang out after work. Everyone is very nice and encouraging on the team. I recommend them to anyone starting out in the science field because it is a great learning opportunity

Cons

Too many projects for one team and not the other. I would like to help, but that means I will need 2 weeks or longer to be trained and the job has already been completed. If there's an easier way to make this quicker, I can be more helpful

Advice to Management

Different shifts and lunch hours. Some people want to start early and some people want to start later

"Create your own path"

Current Employee - Laborer in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Laborer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Biochain Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have FREE healthcare!!! The cost for healthcare is very high, so this is really cool that no money is taken out of our paycheck. This company allows you to create your own path (obviously aligning with them). There's lots of opportunities for you to succeed in this company. If the job is not clear, make sure you voice yourself. If you agree with your manager's evaluation, and then your opinion is different after the meeting is over, this is where you will run into problems and conflicts. When you're working with your boss, my suggestion is to make sure you express yourself so if there's any confusions it can be address.

Cons

Clock in and out system needs to be updated and needs to add more employees to every department

Advice to Management

Build your team by adding the right employees. If you continue to select fitted employees you will see less turnovers. Communication needs improvement and the company's direction and focus should be announced with more evidence/information about our targets and our path.

"Better Off On Unemployment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I worked at Biochain Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly nice coworkers. Own parking lot. If fresh from college, could possibly provide some good experience. Company paid medical/dental.

Cons

Dishonest management. They lie about your job description and opportunities for growth and promotions when hiring. First told you'll be in one department doing one thing. After hired, "sorry, no, need you over here." Constantly changing job description, job responsibilities, and company goals - insanely unorganized and dishonest management, both middle and upper. A lot of people are afraid of being replaced, so you'll never get full access to all you need to do your job. You will always have ask someone for a password or to send an email or whatever.

Was never paid commission on any sales - they told me over A YEAR LATER that the company had to make quota first, something never mentioned before. Sales are also stolen by other sales reps. You can make contact with client, then be told to let another rep take it, and immediately singled out for low sales numbers.

They abuse labor laws, paying people less than the State minimum and claiming them as exempt employees when they are not. That allows the company to save money on overtime. When this was brought up the employee was subject to hostile work environment and threats.

HR department is a joke. Their entire experience in HR is "Google it".

You will never be paid on time. Prepare for late fees, overdraft fees, and a lower credit score because you will always be paid 2-7 days after payday. More than once I went over 21 days without a paycheck despite not missing any work days.

If you're not of Asian decent, you will have problems. All employees except 2 are Asian, and there is a noticeable difference in treatment by management. Recently the only Black employee was laid off and literally escorted out of the building by middle management - the only employee this has happened to, and was actually a good, hard worker.

Mandatory closure during the holidays that will come out of your vacation pay. They don't tell new employees this. However many vacation days your benefits package is, subtract that by 5 for Xmas-NYE

Company refuses to reinvest in workers. Computer systems, lab equipment, even plumbing need upgrades, but it is too costly. At the same time, the company has no problem cashing out on Wine Bar Wednesdays and Chinese New Year buffets.

Advice to Management

Stop keeping lazy workers and letting the good ones go. Half your sales/marketing team is playing Pokemon and listening to Pandora all day because their clients are "overseas". Teach them that phones and emails work overseas too. If they realized that, maybe the company could have turned a profit in 2016.

Hire people who are actually trained in these fields. The marketing person is fresh out of journalism school. The sales team are scientists. HR department is the VPs immediate family. Lab is grossly understaffed and relies on ONE person to cut tissues... If you'd hire people who actually went to school for marketing, business, or human resources then a lot of your internal problems would resolve on their own.

Stop lying. Stop lying to employees, stop lying to the government. You deserve the audit inevitably coming your way.

Office is not the place for politics. I shouldn't know that all upper management voted for Trump.

"The very place you want to avoid"

Former Employee - Sales in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Newark, CA

I worked at Biochain Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Genuine employees, helpful team members, training through the work, spacious location, plenty of parking space, generous neighbor companies, etc.

Cons

Dishonest owners, bad management, slave driving manner, disrespect employees, fraudulent statement of company financial condition. Owners are consistently in mood swings and changing ideas/goals of product/service. Unrealistic sale goals set in order to push the sales account managers. Constant overloaded workload request to production employees who are already understaffed.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees fairly, with respect. Your employees are your first round of customers, not someone you take advantage of. The relationship is mutual, when you abuse them, you do not get the performance you want. When you are cheap, you get what you paid for.

"Great place to get started, or do develop new skills. Pleasant work environment"

I have been working at Biochain Institute full-time

Pros

Opportunity to learn new skills
    Nice co-workers
    Generally pretty stable
    Loyal customer base
    If current growth accelerates - or even continues at the current pace, there will be growth opportunities
    Many of the managers really seem to want to mentor their direct reports

Cons

Pay is similar to other smaller companies in the biotech space. But many folks who take entry-level jobs get poached by the "big names" after a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Keep improving. Take advantage of recent opportunities to gain funding and enter new markets. Continue to put priority on keeping existing cadre of loyal customers happy.
    When revenue increases, invest in retention of the employees that you've hired out of college, and then trained.

"Family business without proper management and integrity"

Pros

Have wonderful colleagues to work with

Cons

Bad management without professional experience. No integrity. Micro-managment. Don't like to hear negative feedback. Owners changed Company strategies just like to changing diaper.
    Lie to customers in terms of quality and company condition. Keep "yes" people as loyal people while get rid of competence people.

Advice to Management

Need to give more authority to team members. Get rid of some senior incompetence management members even thought they appear to work long hours. Get ride of dozen of surveillance cameras in each corner of office, R&D and production area.