Blank Rome Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Grant S. Palmer
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Competitive salary, laid back culture, not much more than that" (in 2 reviews)

• "Great office, skilled professionals, great benefits" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Staff and attorneys have made inappropriate comments to multiple women many times" (in 4 reviews)

• "Work / Life balance is severely skewed to work" (in 3 reviews)

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Blank Rome full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Blank Rome promotes from within. They care about the professional development of their staff and attorneys. Human Resources Operations have improved significantly over the past few years.

Cons

Commute can be challenging and unpredictable.

Feb 19, 2019 – Staff Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at... More

2. "Nice People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Blank Rome full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are very nice.

Cons

The pay could be better.

Advice to Management

It's never positive for morale to reduce salaries.

3. "not bad?"

I worked at Blank Rome full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are okay. Always good people any where.

Cons

Horrible and layers and layers of management. No future, but this may be true to a lot of other mid-size law firms out there.

Feb 19, 2019 – Staff Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at HumanResources@BlankRome.com.

"Run away"

I worked at Blank Rome full-time

Pros

Free lunch sometimes for meetings.
    Convenient location
    Some teams are great

Cons

Clock in clock out system. They force you to take an hour lunch everyday. No short lunch, no leaving early, you need permission for anything but will be told no. If you’re late due to weather, public transportation system, anything out of your control, too bad.

The CHEAPEST firm I’ve ever worked at. Budgeting is great but they send regular emails on how successful the firm is and sidestep conversations on pay raises. Low pay.

NO culture, no perks. Benefits are standard but there’s no sense of community. Not even a hello in the coffee room because of the hierarchy. Everyone hates their job and will never help. Count how many times you hear “not my job”.

No young people. Zero diversity, literally everyone is white and in their 60s.

No flexibility. You can not work from home unless you’re favored by upper management. Even during holidays when attorneys are on vacation and there’s nothing to do. They force you to take PTO instead.

Technologically lost. Programs are inefficient. It costs more money hiring people to figure out a program than to revamp it.

Nobody is environmentally friendly, attorneys demand you print a document and then toss it after they’ve read it. Brought up this is a waste and nobody cared.

The offices are old and DIRTY. They do not provide cleaning supplies. It’s your responsibility to buy supplies and clean.

Staff and attorneys have made inappropriate comments to multiple women many times. HR writes a complaint and nothing happens.

They have bathrooms ONLY for partners. One staff used it and was yelled at because it’s for “executives only”. To allow people to use bathrooms based on title is dehumanizing.

I took tissues from a bathroom because of my horrible allergies from the constant dust and a staff said “you can’t take those, the office manager will have a fit. you have to secretly let me know and I’ll get you some.” I wish I was making this up.

RUN! Run far away!

Advice to Management

they have created this culture on purpose and do nothing when given feedback. They don’t want to change.

Dec 10, 2018 – Staff Recruiter

5. "Great Firm!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Blank Rome (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people to surround yourself with on a daily basis, and great opportunities to learn.

Cons

Doesn't feel like there's much room for growth.

Oct 22, 2018 – Staff Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at... More

6. "Very positive experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

There are a lot of support services there.

Cons

Communication is lacking between departments.

"Legal Secretary"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Blank Rome full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money, nice location, the staff is fine.

Cons

Major chasm between attorneys and staff. Not even a hello in the coffee room, typically. Even acknowledging that people are tribal and group up in job descriptions and levels, this is still excessive. Also, there are a million micro departments, and nobody is cross trained. Result is that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. And the chorus of "not my job" is deafening.

Advice to Management

None. They've laboriously designed this environment; they obviously like it. My advice would be to people considering working there: Reconsider.

Sep 27, 2018 – Staff Recruiter

"Management and HR are terrible"

I worked at Blank Rome full-time

Pros

some people are good to work with

Cons

unqualified employees are promoted to roles that they cannot handle, deserving long-term employees are let go at the drop of a dime, no room for growth on admin side, staff and attorneys are completely separate and they let you know it, NO Holiday bonus - they even got rid of the $50 gift card - while sending numerous firm-wide emails about all the success the firm is having, very very cheap and old fashioned - terrible work environment, especially since new HR brought in

Advice to Management

Pay your staff and stop being cheap, give holiday bonuses, provide attainable goals, pay for professional development for staff, get rid of certain people in top HR positions

Sep 27, 2018 – Staff Recruiter

"New Management / HR have destroyed a wonderful firm"

I worked at Blank Rome full-time

Pros

Unfortunately, since the new management came in there isn't any! Prior to the new HR team coming in and destroying the culture of the firm it was more like a family. Staff and attorneys were happy to come to work everyday. Not the case since the new regime has taken over.

Cons

Prior to the new HR team coming in and destroying the culture of the firm BR was more like a family. Staff and attorneys were happy to come to work everyday. Not the case since the new regime has taken over. They could care less about staff. The staff are considered disposable machines. If you're looking for a place to grow with a wonderful atmosphere this definetly isn't the place to be. They treat those that go above and beyond like they are nothing. They show favortisim to staff members that are tied to rainmaking partners or counsel. There is no work/life balance. The wellness program was taken away, amongst many other perks. In essense, working at BR only casuses stress and heart ache because ultimately you are working for folks that could care less about your well-being. BEWARE

Advice to Management

Replace management!

10. "Finance"

I worked at Blank Rome full-time

Pros

ice cream socials and co workers

Cons

management sucked, lack of concern for employees. greedy company only looking to pad their pockets

Advice to Management

take advice from employees, have a heart and promote those who have worked hard and not just your friends