Blockchain Reviews | Glassdoor

Blockchain CEO, Co-Founder Peter Smith
Peter Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Want to change the world?!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Blockchain full-time

Pros

Working with amazing Blocketeers that inspire you to new heights and support you through the challenges of startup life. Contribute to products that are truly revolutionary and have a global impact. Opportunities for growth and responsibility abound - if you are proactive enough to take them. Always make time for fun, whether it's happy hour or a company retreat abroad!

Cons

Certain level of disorganisation that is common with startup environments.
    Simple benefits (food in the office).

"Diamond in the Rough"

Current Employee - New York Office Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - New York Office Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Blockchain full-time

Pros

I was looking for a job for over a year, not having been happy with my previous working conditions. I wanted to be excited to go to work in the morning and excited by the company's brand and philosophy. I finally found that with Blockchain! The people are all incredibly down to Earth but also insanely hard workers. The hours are flexible, you receive free breakfast every day, free lunch three days a week and there is a fully stocked kitchen. There is an onsite shower if you work out during the day. The health benefits are the best I have seen through a company in my lifetime so far and there are unlimited paid vacation days. They have regular happy hours and support outside passions. I run a dance company and my boss has repeatedly told me that he is fully supportive of that and if I need time off for it. It is nice to see hard work rewarded so well.

Cons

You work until you are needed so it is not a job where you can clock out at 5pm. (People work hard and thats why they are so well rewarded.)

Advice to Management

Every company has room for improvement. For management I would say focus more on the structure of each position. Outlining specific responsibilities for each job and letting it be known to all can make it more clear going in and moving forward what is to be expected from each other.

"Fun and exciting place to work, but engineering is poorly run"

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Blockchain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting and fast moving space with plenty of fun and interesting engineering challenges. Hours are flexible, people are nice and take a lot of pride in their work.

Cons

The engineering team needs better management. The CTO, while a really nice guy, does not have a strong grasp of what the engineering team is working on which in turn causes communication breakdown within and between the QA team. Project management and resource scheduling is non-existent, as are designs and specifications for how software should work. Lots of requirements and changes are last-minute due to poor planning and organization.

Advice to Management

The company needs to hire someone who has experience managing large software projects and knows how to coordinate teams. The company must invest in training for its existing managers in order to make sure they can fully utilize their engineering resources as the company continues to grow.

"Avoid Operations"

I worked at Blockchain full-time

Pros

Great office, interesting team, fascinating product, great benefits package. All the perks you'd want from a start-up. Non-engineers can jumpstart a career here, but many make a run for the hills after a year.

Cons

1. Operations employees, whether based in New York or London, do not pan out for more six months - 1 year. CEO does not respect this department and although this is known throughout the company the attitude goes unchanged.
    2. CEO throws tantrums and makes decisions based on fear and anger. VPs and department heads don't have the energy to confront him.
    3. Massive period of internal growth in the last 6 months has lead nowhere. Lack of forward momentum largely due to incapable (weary?) managers. This is more evident in some departments than others.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Foster real teamwork and positivity. Confront bad policies and bad decisions.

Blockchain Response

May 24, 2017 – Talent Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and also for the more detailed feedback that you gave us at your exit interview. We are working now to address the areas of concern that you brought up... More

"Exciting workplace with bright, wonderful people"

I have been working at Blockchain full-time

Pros

Amazing group of people who will inspire you to achieve new heights
    Great offices in central locations
    Team lunches MWF! Yum!
    Unlimited paid time off, no clocking hours, flexible schedule - the policy is, do the best you can, get your work done, and take time off whenever you need it.
    Inspiring and approachable, friendly "higher ups"

Cons

It definitely has that startup drive. If you're not prepared to give it your all and constantly be challenged, if you don't LOVE to go after challenges, this might not be for you. On a related note, your job will constantly be evolving, so you will constantly be hustling to acquire new skills as quickly as possible. (That's a pro for me, but a con for many people who like to know exactly what their job entails before they sign on.)

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent leadership! We look up to you!

6. "Great people, great product"

I have been working at Blockchain full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment
    Passionate teammates who really believe in the company's mission
    Opportunities for growth
    Quick to promote star performers
    Great location in Soho
    Flexible work schedule as long as you're getting your work done
    Team lunches M, W, F

Cons

If you don't like the fast-paced nature of a start-up and the lack of clarity that can come from disrupting an industry, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent with us!

7. "Best group of people I have worked with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- Awesome place to work, very close knit team, fun team activities
    - Motivated, dedicated, brilliant team
    - Everyone's input and ideas are considered
    - You can help directly shape company processes
    - Challenging, interesting work
    - Team lunches M, W, F
    - Great location in Soho

Cons

- No set hours so you are expected to work when needed/until the job is done, but that's the life of a startup
    - Products have room for improvement, but we're working on it!

8. "Amazing company filled with passionate people"

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

Pros

Get to work on a product and in a space that is completely new and revolutionary. The people and the leaders at this company especially are extremely passionate and care about the product and the team members. Everyone is very collaborative and thoughtful.

Cons

It's important to be internally motivated and care about the product, nobody will convince you to care. This might actually be a pro.

"Great company with a great purpose"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Blockchain full-time

Pros

- Incredibly talented and highly motivated team
    - Working on top of very new and exciting technology
    - Provider of some of the most widely used bitcoin services
    - Each employee is given a healthy amount of individual responsibility (and can therefore have a high individual impact)
    - Very strong company morals (especially regarding user privacy)
    - Company mission is meaningful

Cons

- Demanding workload at times, working late is not uncommon (although it is often not required)
    - Product, while successful, still has a lot of room for improvement as of right now

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have more communication with the team from management regarding company activities in the overall ecosystem (for example, the deals and partnerships that are forming at a company level).

"The I's in Team"

Current Employee - User Operations Associate in York, PA
    Current Employee - User Operations Associate in York, PA

I have been working at Blockchain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the greatest group of minds I've had the privilege to work beside. Everyone in this company is brilliant individual. I must stress the word individual because the team is made of such a variety of people from all walks of life, coming from various countries and backgrounds. While everyone is so uniquely different, management has done an excellent job of hiring like-minded folks that gel together very easily. The work environment is the perfect mix between being goal and task driven while still being fun and light hearted. By working for Blockchain I really feel that I am doing something important that will affect the future and not merely working to collect a pay check.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the constant need to explain to friends and family what bitcoin is at every gathering I attend, but this more of con against working in this industry more so than for this company.