Bolt Threads Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Dan Widmaier

"Research Associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Bolt Threads full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bolt has an amazing mission to innovate an entrenched textile industry riddled with unsustainable practices. By being at the forefront and crossroads of synthetic biology and textiles, Bolt Threads has a unique position to disrupt a long overdue industry and generate biomaterials that are sustainable and fashionable. There is no better biotech startup to work for with respect to mission. The culture is second to none...

Cons

As with any startup; work hard, play hard.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent.

Bolt Threads2018-12-03

"Research Associate"

I worked at Bolt Threads

Pros

Very cool technology, great people, fast paced environment, good benefits

Cons

I cannot think of any at this time

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on improving career development, continue transparency

Bolt Threads2016-04-15

"Awesome tech, awesome people"

I worked at Bolt Threads full-time

Pros

-The technology is incredibly cool -Everyone is intelligent, nice, and passionate about what they do -Bolt has a lot of flexibility, and if there's something you want to pursue you're given the resources to do so if you can explain why it's valuable -Bolt cares about employees' personal growth

Cons

-Bolt has gone through some growing pains, as does any fast-growing company -Salaries are low (startup + biotech)

Advice to Management

-Try to limit the number of levels of management as Bolt scales

Bolt Threads2016-03-08

"Awesome company!"

I have been working at Bolt Threads

Pros

To be a part of a company that is doing something that no one else has been able to do. We are doing some awesome science are working towards revolutionizing the textile industry. The team is smart, curious, hardworking and super fun to work with. The culture is one where there is a drive for continuous learning, an encouragement for the flow of innovation and ideas and one where people are encouraged to own what they...

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Bolt Threads2016-02-04

"I wake up and want to go to work."

Current Employee - Scientist in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Bolt Threads full-time for more than a year

Pros

Costco snack shelf Brand new office and facilities My coworkers are amazing friends, colleagues, and level-headed critics; combination of intellectual firepower and real-world experience Clear communication from executives about product-market fit Exciting scientific and engineering problems; but also trying to not reinvent the wheel when not necessary We value training and feedback for the science and interpersonal...

Cons

Very fast-paced: you have to be ready to change trajectories. Balance of working on projects vs prioritization. Company is growing fast, so keeping our culture will be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to your employees and being open to reasonable change. Keep on being as transparent as possible/reasonable. Try hard to incorporate newcomers into our culture. Balance speed/efficiency vs democracy.

Bolt Threads2015-01-16

"fun and fast-paced work environment"

I have been working at Bolt Threads

Pros

amazing product and technology, hard-working colleagues, health benefits, time-off policies, professional growth opportunities, fun parties/social gatherings

Cons

we are operating at such a fast paced that sometimes the balance between work-life gets tipped

Advice to Management

more narwhals, less unicorns

Bolt Threads2014-12-29

"Vibrant culture, exciting buisness"

Current Employee - Scientist in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Bolt Threads full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The quality of the staff is superb, each employee is extremely knowledgeable and productive in their field. This makes for a great atmosphere in terms of office culture and ability to learn from peers. I look forward to coming to work and interacting with the staff every day. The products under development and the potential markets are compelling and exciting to work on.

Cons

The cost of living in the bay area is high to say the least. The new hire process is extremely selective.

Advice to Management

please institutionalize milk LIMS

Bolt Threads2014-12-12

"Great culture, intellectual colleagues, clear vision, and exciting technology"

Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at Bolt Threads full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My colleagues are the biggest reason I come to work everyday. There is a great culture that encourages people to be honest and welcome feedback. I have become good friends with many of them, and it makes coming to work fun. The science is exciting, and intellectually challenging. The company's vision is very clear, which motivates me. The management keeps the communications transparent and is always ready to listen.

Cons

Bolt Threads is a fast growing company, and because of that, sometimes communications could be challenging. But everyone actually listens to feedback, and there is a special sense of camaraderie, so even though communications could be challenging, it is resolved quickly.

Bolt Threads2014-12-05

"Exciting Company with Great Culture"

Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bolt Threads full-time

Pros

The science is very interesting and challenging, meaning we're all learning a lot all the time. The office is fun-loving, and the people are really great - I really believe that my coworkers care about me and my career. The leadership is solid, and they are focused on enabling everyone to succeed. There is ample training in both soft and technical skills.

Cons

It is a start-up company, and it is small - sometimes decisions can get mired in the sea of democratic processes.

Bolt Threads2014-12-04
  10. "Great culture, great product, great company"

Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bolt Threads full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The quality of the staff is superb, each employee is extremely knowledgeable and productive in their field. This makes for a great atmosphere in terms of office culture and ability to learn from peers. The products under development and the potential markets are compelling and exciting to work on.

Cons

This is a small startup, so the risk of failure is part of the deal. As an R&D focused startup there is a continued risk around moving to commercialization. The cost of living in the bay area is high to say the least. The new hire process is somewhat slow and extremely selective.

Advice to Management

More snack shelf, more nap time.

Bolt Threads2013-07-25