Booker Reviews | Glassdoor

Josh McCarter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales Executive"

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Booker is a truly excellent company to work for. Successes are constantly celebrated and there has been an open-door policy from the very beginning. I left for another SaaS company after being at Booker for 4 years recently and they welcomed me back with open arms. The positive culture has created a tight knit family and I am proud to be a part of a platform that enhances small businesses and allows owners to focus on their customers.

Cons

Honestly, I am extremely happy to be back “home” and couldn’t be more thankful for the opportunity. The only con was having to start my pipeline from scratch again. Although, I have had tremendous support in doing so from the CEO, Director or Sales, VP of Sales Ops and the rest of my coworkers.

2. "Midsize company with a small company culture"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Booker is a quickly growing company which means you get the opportunity to grow with the company. Your input is welcomed and its an open door management philosophy. Management is easy to approach and its a friendly employee centric culture. Your input and ideas are taken into consideration and appreciated. The work environment is open and inviting. If you work hard your efforts are noticed, and you get informed on job openings that management feels you would be a good fit.

Cons

The communication between departments are lacking. Basically the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Also there is very little updating to the company's intranet, especially employee profiles. Finding information on current system issues and updates are lacking substance. This again all revolves around inter company communication. There is also a lack of employee-management interaction on skill building, and career growth. 1 on 1's are far and few between.

Advice to Management

Set up more 1 on 1's. It's nice to get a pulse on how you are doing. Set up more meetings with employee's to let them know what the other departments are focusing on so we all can be fluid and on the same page. Keep the incentive programs going, it started but then waned off after a month. Keep a level of consistency, it is an ever changing environment, if you start training programs, keep it going.

"Happy place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work life balance is the best by far anywhere I have worked. I get to work with a lot of smart people on interesting projects. Work doesn't feel like work here. Startup culture with free snacks, breakfast, beer and ping pong table.

Cons

Create a 401k match plan

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Listen to customers.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Booker full-time

Pros

I am given the freedom to be myself and to apply my personal strengths to get my job done.

There is opportunity for advancement if you choose to work for it. Salary is competitive, but it can always be more.

Booker is a growing company, but has maintained a family type work environment, we have great camaraderie.

I enjoy working here!

Cons

I would like to see matching 401K

"Great Place to work!"

I have been working at Booker full-time

Pros

I love working for Booker. You get plenty of PTO which is very helpful for myself. They are always providing food, breakfast every Tuesday, snacks galore (both healthy and not so healthy). The environment is a lot of fun to work in, it young and energetic. We do some activities outside of work, which are also fun to participate in. For the most part, the executive team is amazing and very supportive. I also fin that there are lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

The office does seem a little clicky at times. Raises and bonuses happen, rarely and typically small. Not a fan of the health benefits. Product isn't responsive on some bigger issues and complaints from our customers.

Advice to Management

I would say get HR and IT in all offices. Also changing HR to more professional people. Get the executives to interact with all departments, not just the ones they work with. Be more transparent about the product plans and speak to the Customer Service Team and our customers on how to make the system better. Listen to the complaints and get product to stop using the By Design as an excuse.

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, fast paced, and the ability to play a large role in the company

Cons

There is no structure or hierarchy to the HR department,
    Personal goals and future goals of the company are a bit ambiguous.

Advice to Management

There needs to be different ways to incorporate skills of employees - HR needs to be overhauled, and promotions need to be dealt with properly.

"Open to Ideas"

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company for self-starters and learners since there is little to/no red tape. If you bring forward an idea to leadership, Booker will let you run with it. There are always projects to hop in on since the different departments work well with one another. Benefits here are also above average for similarly sized businesses in AZ.

Cons

A/C is hit or miss in the summer months.

Advice to Management

Continue to utilize the Booker Core Values when making decisions about the business.

"Difficult to Find a Better Startup in the Valley"

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is interesting to read through these reviews.

It would appear that not all the reviewers are portraying a true booker experience. Working at Booker for years now, I can attribute much of my growth as a professional to the tutelage and guidance of company leaders and my peers here at Booker. We collaborate, we work together, and frankly we get stuff done.

The passion for the Health, Wellness, and Beauty industry is remarkable and I can say that I have honestly never spoken to a client who I did not believe I could help become even more successful.

The Scottsdale office is kind-of a leadership power house which I appreciate and is the growth hub for the company. You have good VP's from many different departments close by and always willing to discuss a project, idea, or innovation you may have.

Tends to be a younger culture as a whole, that likes to have fun but also respects that people have families and lives, always trying to include everyone from all different walks in life. Pretty relaxed office environement, with your typical games (ping pong, ladder ball, basketball,) music, snacks etc... all those little extras that make waking up at 5:30 to beat the traffic worth it.

They treat me well, respect my opinion, pay well for the Phoenix area, and offer great benefits so I have no complaints on all those fronts.

Cons

-No 401k match
    -Sometimes we get a little caught up in a goal or project and lose sight of the BIG picture of the value we provide for our clients.
    -Things move quickly here, which isn't for everyone. If you are expecting someone to lay out a 10 year business track plan for you, probably not the best. However if you are a trailblazer you will open more opportunities at Booker then you
    can probably imagine.

Advice to Management

-401k match if possible
    -Regular updates on all the amazing things we are doing for our customers - maybe highlighting a few client that are really crushing it and HOW Booker is leading to this success

"I grew my career at Booker"

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working at Booker 7+ years and have had a wonderful experience here. I started in entry level support when the company was under 30 employees and worked my way up to the management level. Booker always encouraged me to grow and challenge myself by giving me new opportunities. They sent me to AMA's Management Training and have invested in my learning throughout the years (books, seminars, etc). I have worked in 3 different departments during my years and have seen ups and downs in the company but overall have had a very positive experience and the company is in a great place now.

My current role is in the Customer Experience department and the leadership is top notch right now, by far the best I've experienced in my many years at Booker. I have never been happier, not only with the leadership on CE, but just being a part of an outstanding team of people who help each other and share the common goal of making our customers happy, which in turn will make our employees happy. I have learned so much throughout my years at Booker and have met some of my very best friends here, too. The culture is really engaging and fun. I always have a great time regardless of what Booker office I visit because there is an open and friendly vibe throughout the company.

Cons

I don't have any major cons, the company is in a good place. My only negative is no 401K matching.

Advice to Management

401K matching would be nice.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to gain sales experience
    Great co-workers
    Great direct managers

Cons

Company is pretty stagnant, not much leadership past the direct managers
    Change comp plans multiple times a year
    Lack of internal communication

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to build on top of the current software and adding as many new features as possible. Fix what already does not work properly. Don't try and tackle more projects than you can handle at once. Stick to the industry that Booker is built for.