Booker Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Booker CEO Josh McCarter
Josh McCarter

Pros
Cons
  • The only benefit I would like Booker to add is a 401K matching program (in 11 reviews)

• I am not on the sales team but can identify with the negative reviews left by sales reps (in 7 reviews)

"Great place to learn and build a career"

Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Booker is a growth-stage company, which means there are plenty of opportunities to wear multiple hats and directly add value to the business. The company has some really exciting strategic initiatives ahead of it, and employees are encouraged to take on more responsibility for driving their success. The office culture is fun, my colleagues are a pleasure to work with, and management has a clear vision for the company's future.

Cons

As with any startup, some processes aren't always clearly defined. However, this presents an opportunity for employees to help determine the path forward.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating the company's goals and progress toward achieving them. Clarity and transparency on this front has been great for the team.

2. "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere, New York New York"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They feed you
    Booze everywhere
    College campus

Cons

NYC office shrunk 60 %
    ping pong table makes noise when your working
    No formal training program

Advice to Management

Try to retain good talent

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Management is supportive, extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
    - Great work/life balance.
    - Office culture is fun and laid back.
    - Strong communication and collaboration across all departments.
    - Fabulous product!

Cons

I can't think of any cons. The team in NYC has been so welcoming and it has been a very easy transition for me. I feel so lucky to work with the best people!

Advice to Management

Keep pushing that "one team, one dream" mentality. We've got a good thing working here!

"Work Hard Play Hard"

Current Employee - BDM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - BDM in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - My overall comp has increased year over year
    - Time off is awesome, and you're not frowned upon when you take it
    - Career growth is something that actually happens
    - Fast-paced environment
    - Ping Pong and Kegs are always a plus
    - Great culture
    - Talented professionals
    - Collaborative environment across different segments
    - Brand recognition
    - Flexibility and autonomy given to consult with your clients
    - Networking opportunities here are endless

NYC Management View:
    MBWA) / Democratic Management Approach. Here is why….
    Mike H is an invaluable asset to our team. He has a Democratic / Management by Walking Around (MBWA) approach. He aims to involve all member’s of the team in the decision making process. He is very familiar with the SMB sales process and sales cycle which in the end helps me to land more deals. I have witnessed first-hand many sales reps at Booker develop and hone their skills within a short period of time under Mikes direction.

Mike engages with the team and encourages a competitive and healthy rivalry while helping us to embrace corporate and team culture. This helps to drive real metrics and results. This level of management is characteristic I have grown to truly appreciate Mike for. He also engages with other departments, embraces change and lends advice to those in need.

Cons

- Here at Booker it's easy to become attached to your work, leads & accounts, and it often trickles over into your personal life after hours, or on weekends.
    - Quota isn't necessarily the easiest to hit. But I guess if it were easy I suppose they would let anyone in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to engage with strategic partners and solid investors. Please bring back Presidents Club, things like that will truly keep people here.

"Come to Booker and Be Somebody!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Booker for over 2+ years now and have loved it since Day 1!

-Great work environment - everyone is relaxed and gets the job done.
    -Support and management is amazing and very transparent.
    -Product is easy to use and learn, which makes it very easy to sell.
    -A lot of room for growth within the company and you can really see the impact you make on your team and organization.

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep updating and promoting the platform. We have a lot of talented people here and we can continue to expose this amazing product to the industry.

"Room to grow, for both employees and the company."

Current Employee - Administrator in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started with Booker in an entry level customer support position a year and a half ago. Since then, I have received two vertical title changes and have found a position tailored to my individual skill set.

Booker has the most respectable management I have ever worked with. I am proud to work hard at Booker and look forward to sharing ideas with supervisors. managers, and directors.

Many people believe the pay to be on the lower end of the spectrum for the industry but I feel fairly compensated for my efforts.

Cons

I would like to start off by saying all of the reviews prior to mine that I read are true, the good and the very bad.

No, there is no 401k matching at this time. However, the health/dental benefits are the best I have personally had at any job to date.

Yes, there have been layoffs. I would estimate somewhere between 5 and 10 percent employee downsizing occurred in 2016. The company made some bad bets on expanding into markets that our product did not scale well for. This initiative has been abandoned for 2017 which shows me that senior management is aware and willing to adjust.

Yes, there have been system issues, server stability primarily, that led to some very hard work days for the customer support staff. Booker has recently moved to a different third party server provider and those issues have been resolved since.

The product itself is starting to appear dated and I'm sure that makes it hard to sell at times. I am not on the sales team but can identify with the negative reviews left by sales reps. The Booker Product Team has shown "coming soon" sneak peaks of redesigns in the works that I am hoping hit the market in 2017.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard. It's up to you to show those at the bottom that they are not fighting a losing battle. Continue sharing the senior leadership teams' ideas with the entire company. Josh's and Brian's emails do get read and have an impact.

There is always the silent fear that doom is at the doorstep, especially here at the smallest, most remote office. I personally believe everyone in our office wants to succeed and see Booker succeed. Help us help you make that happen.

"Great place to work and grow"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The overwhelmingly positive atmosphere is contagious.
    It's a fun place to work.
    Management really cares about the staff.
    The opportunities to learn and expand your career potential are omnipresent.
    The ability to directly interact with senior management and the knowledge that they actually care about your input.
    When investor capital mandated the elimination of my role I was contacted by and supported by a host of people throughout the organization up to and including Josh McCarter, the CEO, prior to and after my departure. The severance and sense or personal caring make Booker a workplace I am glad to have called a home and would gladly return to.

Cons

Stepping stone mindset of the many young staffers leads to recurring transitions.
    Like many companies dependent upon venture capital, the investors impact the company's direction and financial decisions.

Advice to Management

Keep the open lines of communication even more open during times of transition. Most of the staff is young and needs to understand the big picture of decisions that impact business focus, salaries and staffing.

"Smiling faces and drunk leaders don't help me hit my quota"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Christmas party was another drunken debacle by leaders and it was, as always, pretty embarrassing. Drinking when winning = fun. Getting drunk when having a horrible year = dumb.

Cons

Product keeps promising progress, but have not seen anything since I joined. But they say happy things. Sales leaders smile a lot and think it is fun to just say happy things, but it is no fun when you can not hit your quota. No salesforce support to speak of.

Advice to Management

Quit. Total fail in 2016. Happy smiles and drinking do not help me hit quota and few salespeople do hit quota, short of favorites. New leaders have done exactly...what?

"The place to be!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great company to work for. HR is always setting up fun events, there's beer in the office, and some great people to work with, Mike Kendall's Trivia Thursdays are epic! Product does well in the market, and has a good name. Very strong leadership from the CEO. Great place to learn and grow in your career, lots of opportunity. I really enjoy working at Booker!

Cons

Wish we had better coffee in the office.

Advice to Management

Keep improving. We've done a lot in the last year to improve communication from the front lines to the product teams and exec's, don't lose that good communication.

"Horrible!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Booker (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of good people (used to) work there

Cons

Completely unprofitable business which the leadership has no clue how to turn around

Advice to Management

Fire most executives!