Booker Reviews | Glassdoor

Booker CEO Josh McCarter
Josh McCarter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Difficult to Find a Better Startup in the Valley"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is interesting to read through these reviews.

It would appear that not all the reviewers are portraying a true booker experience. Working at Booker for years now, I can attribute much of my growth as a professional to the tutelage and guidance of company leaders and my peers here at Booker. We collaborate, we work together, and frankly we get stuff done.

The passion for the Health, Wellness, and Beauty industry is remarkable and I can say that I have honestly never spoken to a client who I did not believe I could help become even more successful.

The Scottsdale office is kind-of a leadership power house which I appreciate and is the growth hub for the company. You have good VP's from many different departments close by and always willing to discuss a project, idea, or innovation you may have.

Tends to be a younger culture as a whole, that likes to have fun but also respects that people have families and lives, always trying to include everyone from all different walks in life. Pretty relaxed office environement, with your typical games (ping pong, ladder ball, basketball,) music, snacks etc... all those little extras that make waking up at 5:30 to beat the traffic worth it.

They treat me well, respect my opinion, pay well for the Phoenix area, and offer great benefits so I have no complaints on all those fronts.

Cons

-No 401k match
    -Sometimes we get a little caught up in a goal or project and lose sight of the BIG picture of the value we provide for our clients.
    -Things move quickly here, which isn't for everyone. If you are expecting someone to lay out a 10 year business track plan for you, probably not the best. However if you are a trailblazer you will open more opportunities at Booker then you
    can probably imagine.

Advice to Management

-401k match if possible
    -Regular updates on all the amazing things we are doing for our customers - maybe highlighting a few client that are really crushing it and HOW Booker is leading to this success

"I grew my career at Booker"

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working at Booker 7+ years and have had a wonderful experience here. I started in entry level support when the company was under 30 employees and worked my way up to the management level. Booker always encouraged me to grow and challenge myself by giving me new opportunities. They sent me to AMA's Management Training and have invested in my learning throughout the years (books, seminars, etc). I have worked in 3 different departments during my years and have seen ups and downs in the company but overall have had a very positive experience and the company is in a great place now.

My current role is in the Customer Experience department and the leadership is top notch right now, by far the best I've experienced in my many years at Booker. I have never been happier, not only with the leadership on CE, but just being a part of an outstanding team of people who help each other and share the common goal of making our customers happy, which in turn will make our employees happy. I have learned so much throughout my years at Booker and have met some of my very best friends here, too. The culture is really engaging and fun. I always have a great time regardless of what Booker office I visit because there is an open and friendly vibe throughout the company.

Cons

I don't have any major cons, the company is in a good place. My only negative is no 401K matching.

Advice to Management

401K matching would be nice.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to gain sales experience
    Great co-workers
    Great direct managers

Cons

Company is pretty stagnant, not much leadership past the direct managers
    Change comp plans multiple times a year
    Lack of internal communication

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to build on top of the current software and adding as many new features as possible. Fix what already does not work properly. Don't try and tackle more projects than you can handle at once. Stick to the industry that Booker is built for.

4. "Not good at all"

Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of happy talk. if free beer balances other shortcomings for you then this is the place for you

Cons

The product remains stuck in the mud and going nowhere. Sales is spinning and marketing is non-existent. Customer teams get hit with the mess.

Advice to Management

Plans are shared that never get done. Senior people with to-your-face niceness, but not much for results. The divisive cliques and back-stabbing on previous reviews are true IMO, at least in Scottsdale.

"Started my career here"

I worked at Booker full-time

Pros

Great culture and comradery

Cons

Hired a little too fast after my sales class. The second class mostly left or got fired

Advice to Management

Keep doing great, the company was young back then.

"Room to grow and learn the needs of a SAAS"

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at Booker for 3 years now and through out I've gotten to work with interesting people with whom I've also had the privilege to learn from. My role was originally one of technical support but as time went on, I was able to see how my role fit into the bigger picture, and become more engaged in figuring out how I can bring more value to my team. So Booker stuck with me and allowed me to improve.

Cons

Communication can be a little tough sometimes, but that's also a part of the job. If you can learn to proactively help people, and accept help from others, in times where what to do is a little fuzzy, it's appreciated.

"Values Driven Startup"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture with caring colleagues. Dynamic and agile teams working on multiple fronts of the platform yet still highly aligned to the ultimate goal of creating a better platform for our end users. Some degree of autonomy as long as you are accomplishing the metrics your manger has set forth.

Cons

Booker is still a start up and is no exception from the list of adverse conditions that all startups are susceptible to.

Advice to Management

Never forget about our customers, the small business owners across the world who rely on us to relieve some of the heavy burdens that come from running a business. They trusted us with their business, we promised to never lose focus on their needs.

"Lots of Opportunity in a company that is always improving, with a promising future"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation/Opportunities:
    I started at Booker a little under 3 years ago as a junior software engineer and within 3 years I was able to get 3 separate promotions, almost doubling my compensation and I am happy to say that I am now a technical lead on a team of other really strong and great software engineers of all disciplines. Suffice to say Booker has given me and many others tremendous opportunity to jump start our careers. The engineering manager values his employees greatly and will often go above and beyond to ensure his employees are happy. I cannot stress that enough.

Work Life Balance:
    Working more then you should is strongly discouraged within the company, you will seldom find people working after hours. If there are people in the office after hours its usually just to listen to music and hang out over a beer because the people that work at Booker are all incredibly talented, intelligent and like minded folk. Booker also provides lots of fun activities for employees on a regular basis, like our annual summer Olympics or the monthly trivia as well as many parties and events throughout the year. The Gems at Booker are the people who work there, and even past employees cannot deny that, as you will often see them attend Booker events just to be around all the great people who work here.

On top of that management is really understanding about working from home and PTO. PTO is virtually endless as long as you do what is expected, and for things like bereavement, people have been really understanding and given me as many days as I needed from a personal tragedy. Many of the engineering staff work from home 3-4 days a week and as long as their work is being completed this is OK. We are more project based then time based.

On top of all of this, the HR department is really approachable and great to work with. They are constantly improving and always send out surveys to get insight from everyone. They provide breakfast in the morning, snacks throughout the day and host the many events we have at Booker.

Management:
    The current management in Product & Technology is focused on empowering their teams/employees. We have moved away from the Top-Down management approach to a more Bottom-Up approach. We aren't held to some insurmountable and unattainable delivery date, but instead a delivery date that is more realistic and estimated by the individual teams. On top of this the technology department is invested heavily in moving the platform to the cloud. So the days of negotiating a time frame by compromises on the technology are over. We will take the time we need to ensure we do things the right way the first time, because this is overall better for the platform

Day-To-Day:
    The actual work we have in the product and technology side is actually really cutting edge. As I stated above we are heavily invested into moving to the cloud but we have a lot of unique constraints that makes this very challenging. We are also making major strides in how we build independently releasable services and how these many services communicate with each other. On the server-side there is lots of work to do and its all cutting edge. On the client-side we have also heavily invested in the Ember.js framework and for good reason! Ember.js is designed for ambitious applications and we Booker is quite an ambitious project. On the day-to-day team side, we do have a 10 AM daily stand-up and follow Kanban-agile methodology for our processes.

Final Word:
    When I first started at Booker we were in a transition phase and there were many ups and downs. We had some crummy managers in the past and we hit some rocky roads where some tough decisions needed to be made to keep the company going. This is part of any business, especially in the start-up world. That being said, through the many growing pains the company has gone through, 1 thing has been a constant, they have listened to their employees and made DRASTIC improvements. To name a few, they have hired some REALLY AMAZING middle management, they have renovated the main office 2 different times, they have better empowered their employees, and set up mechanisms for career growth and opportunity, and they have invested into technology to improve the platform. The result of all of this is a work environment that has drastically improved over the last 3 years.

On top of all that the business has been pulling up some good numbers as of late and we are slated to become profitable fairly soon. This is all very good news and proves out all the hard work and changes the organization has made to be more streamlined and strategic in the improvements they've made to the organization. The truth is always in the numbers.

Cons

The biggest con I think that exists at Booker, but also exists at every organization is politics. This plays a part with every decision, whether it is good or bad, this is why it is so important to constructive and not destructive when bringing up topics. But This is all true at any organization.

The other major con is they do not offer 401k matching, this is a major reason why i have not signed up for their in house 401k offering.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, the changes you have made have made tremendous improvements throughout the org.

Get 401k matching!

9. "Nice to gain experience"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Booker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, lively environment, supportive team, knowledgable developers, interesting varied projects.

Cons

Uncertain future with mulitple rounds of layoffs periodically
    Salaries not always on par with current job market

Advice to Management

Need more honesty and transparency with long term goals and product road map

"Great company and quickly growing"

Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Booker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is great. Everyone truly lives the core values that are spoken about on a daily basis and the teamwork here is incredible. Very solution oriented rather than fostering an environment to let issues persist and not be fixed.

Cons

While the company is growing there are not many leadership positions that open quickly, but the opportunity is there to work for. I wish everyone was in one office instead of spread out across a few different states but there is plenty of collaboration to make it feel connected.