BrainPOP Reviews | Glassdoor

Avraham Kadar, MD

"Back office"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in New York, NY

I worked at BrainPOP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and greatest CEO ever! Good compensation, flexible hours and work load. One of the best workplaces

Cons

Family & relatives over all others.

Advice to Management

Be fair to non-family members please.

"Great atmosphere, but career growth can be difficult"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BrainPOP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work here is the people. It is a relaxed and friendly environment that I have yet to find anywhere else and you couldn't ask for better colleagues. Also, the company has been focusing a lot on culture and wellness lately (30-day water challenge, after work wellness workshops such as yoga and self defense, cooking demonstrations) which I think is the one thing it was lacking previously. I'm excited to see what they come up with next!

Cons

In some departments there is no opportunity for growth or promotions which can be discouraging and is the biggest downside, career trajectory and path are not clear at all (you often have to create a role in order to progress), no official onboarding process so the first few weeks can be a little hectic (though they are working on developing this), low starting salary that does not align with the industry standard

Advice to Management

Instead of continuously hiring new employees, look to promote from within for non-entry-level roles

"People, Flexibility and Mission are great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The best reason to work at BrainPOP are the people that work there. They make up the cool, quirky and fun culture and there is much to be learned from everyone around you. The flexibility of working remotely when needed is very helpful in managing my life sometimes. Also, the product is really good and that makes it really easy to align with the company's mission of providing a grounded and high- quality educational tool to students and teachers everywhere.

Cons

I don't always feel like i know what everyone does and how that leads to the bigger picture of the company. We are not that big so i think that's a miss.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, you are definitely on the right path. Would be great to hear more feedback from you guys on a regular basis.

"Great Place to work family oriented culture."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BrainPOP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Great product, Respected in the industry.

Cons

growing fast that cannot keep expanding facilities fast enough. Though they are working on it.

Advice to Management

Make sure the culture remains intact as you grow.

"Mission Driven Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BrainPOP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture, flexible work arrangements, excellent paid parental leave plan, generous benefits. Sunny, modern office in the Flatiron area. Co-workers are inspiring and creative; the company is passionate about education. Lots of play, experimentation, opportunity for PD, travel, and collaboration with partners.

Cons

The open office plan is starting to feel growing pains.

Advice to Management

Time to expand!

"A great place to work in!"

Current Employee - Legal Counsel in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in New York, NY

I have been working at BrainPOP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BrainPOP is a great place to work in because it means working with a great team and because of the open door policy.

Cons

There are no cons in my opinion.

"decent product, but scary management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BrainPOP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good, smart colleagues; decent product; good reputation. I met some great people, particularly ones not related to management.

Cons

Good product despite the absolutely unparallelled unprofessionalism and inappropriate behavior of management. I heartily second the other reviewer--major nepotism, major sexual harassment. Luckily I was beloved by management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of family members who are incompetent.

"Really good mission but nepotism might lead to its demise."

Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY

Pros

BrainPOP has a really great mission. They care about teaching kids and making everything from science to literature to math more fun and engaging. Some of the people working on the site are quite talented, young, and interesting. I'm not sure if schools are still subscribing to this site, but for a while it was quite popular nationwide.

Cons

BrainPOP is not your typical company, and they are proud of that fact. There's *a lot* of nepotism here, in that almost everyone at the company is somehow related to the family that owns it. That means that some people working at BrainPOP do not necessarily have the same level of ability and talent as others who were hired because of their experience. That isn't to say there aren't some really talented people there--there are plenty of extremely fantastic people. But because it's such a small company, even having just a few people who are less than stellar can affect an entire team and can even be disastrous for the whole company. That said, if you don't really care about the overall success of the company, as long as you don't work with one of those less talented folks, you could have quite a great experience there. Beyond this, there are many benefits to being Israeli and knowing Hebrew, or being very interested in being a part of the family that owns the company. This will likely help you in getting hired, as well as in getting along with the others at the company and rising up through the ranks. I was fortunate enough to get along well with the family, but there were many who were not, and quite a few folks were fired abruptly for not getting along with the family. After I left the company, I also heard about a few allegations of sexual harassment. I'm not sure if any of these were proven. But, if there is less accountability due to nepotism, rules may be more easily broken and inappropriate behavior more easily forgiven.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people for the job. Think really hard about whether nepotism is good for the company.

"Great Company, some growing pains"

I worked at BrainPOP full-time

Pros

A passion for education, actual care for content and results, a lovely team and environment. Outstanding offices in Manhattan, opportunities to work with teams all over the world.

Cons

Growing pains, evidenced by turnover in management that some feel are not in tune with the company's pre-existing culture. Not a lot of transparency with regards to upper management.

Advice to Management

Lay out strategies and long term goals more clearly, so that team can have better understanding of expectations and adapt accordingly.