Brokers' Risk Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cheryl Sandner

1. "Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter"

Former Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Palatine, IL
    Former Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Palatine, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture to work in with a friendly environment. The ability to work in a complex position that requires and experienced underwriter with strong analytical skills and relationship management skills.

Cons

A skeleton underwriting team with high turnover in a small family owned company.

Advice to Management

They need a stronger staffing model.

Nov 4, 2016 – VP HR

Thank you for your eight years. We are about continual improvement and adjustment.

"NOT even if you're DESPERATE!!!! #dontdoit"

Current Employee - Senior Workers Compensation Claims Examiner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Workers Compensation Claims Examiner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brokers' Risk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main kitchen/break area is lovely.

Cons

They do not present the true picture or idea of the workload or work environment. There is NO support, literally...no encouragement or motivation to do better. You maintain the best you can until you can find better. They're is LOTS of nepotism..it's kept in the family & fremily...the long time employees are there cause they don't do anything - or they're about to retire so why go elsewhere. There are new employees but that's because SOOOO many leave. They eliminate positions & just pile the work on but this isn't what they tell you...you find out once you're stuck there. No training..no support...HORRIBLE communication.

I expect this business to be closed or sold SOON!!!
    I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy!!!

Advice to Management

Do BETTER!!! Be more PROactive & less REactive. Stop band-aiding situations. Provide adequate resources to do a good job. You CANNOT thrive when you do nothing to encourage growth. I expect you all will be out of business or under new ownership soon. #soonisnotsoonenough

Nov 17, 2016 – VP HR

You don't work here and I'm sorry that things did not work out for you. We hope that you find the perfect job and can move on. Not everyone is a fit for their job - it doesn't mean that person's ... More

"STAY AWAY!!!! I wish it was a half star that I could give!"

Former Employee - Administration in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administration in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time

Pros

None! No Pros!!! This company is ran like a concentration camp!

Cons

Everything about the company is a CON!!! Everything!

Advice to Management

Get a NEW CEO, COO and everything else! The company sucks!!! The ONLY person in position that is worth ha in there is the CFO!!!

Nov 4, 2016 – VP HR

Yep...like all companies....no one is perfect. But, we are changing, new leadership and lots of dedicated employees who have been here for a long time. We are doing some things right!

"Rating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

You can leave your work at work. Manager and Exec in the department are helpful. A place to get started in this field but I wouldn't stick around for too long.

Cons

The pay is not very good for this position for the amount of work that is required to stay afloat. Develop a more thorough training program.

"Dysfunction Junction"

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Um...close to Union Station and the Rock Island

Cons

Micromanages your time (have to key in and OUT), phone calls (reports run), overload the hardest workers. Be prepared to have things thrown at you. Our theme song was Another One Bites the Dust. Every Friday. Nearly 50% turnover rate. Walks a Big Walk, Talks a Big Talk, is a very small, mean man.

Advice to Management

Try being nice to people. Hire someone who isn't a relative.

Nov 4, 2016 – VP HR

Hmmm....really? The math does not figure. We are not perfect but even this is a stretch.

"Trickle-down miserable environment"

Former Employee - Office Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, nice location. Offer some classes and continuing education opportunities.

Cons

Upper management mistreats middle-management which trickles down to everyone else in the form of misery, pettiness, and lack of trust. Minimal raises, no bonuses for most employees, this company is CHEAP. They want want top employees but aren't willing to pay for them, so you get people working there who come in, do their job, keep their head down, and are waiting by the door to leave at the end of the day. They don't try to develop some of the talented people they already have. VERY dichotomous environment. Lots of gossip.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to retire (he creates an emotionally toxic workplace environment), nepotism needs to end, and then maybe management can do their jobs & not have to operate out of fear. Trust people to do their jobs, stop micromanaging, and develop your existing talent. And start hiring people who are actually passionate about their careers.

"Horrible company to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company will pay for employees' designations/higher education

Cons

Nepotism at its finest. Upper management likes to micro-manage employees and rarely listen to any work complaints. Work is piled onto employees with no recognition or compensation for a job well done. Managers are ALWAYS behind on giving annual reviews. The CEO is greedy and full of himself. Biggest negative environment I've ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Change your ways and policies completely.

"Beware! Glossy veneer hides seething dysfucntion."

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start learning the inner-workings of the insurance industry; very proactive in training and certifying employees in various insurance qualifications. Awesome downtown location in the Loop; easy to commute to and from by train, modern skyscraper building, nice office.

Cons

Management is incompetent and does not clearly communicate goals and objectives. Employees who work hard are taken advantage of by being assigned an overload of tasks and responsibilities. Co-workers take part in catty, backstabbing behaviors that start from the top down that isolate people from one another. The flow of knowledge between experienced employees and those just beginning was an ever-more-confusing maze that is met with hostility from those being asked to train the newcomer. The HR Dept. wasn't too bad while I was working here, but then the HR Manager was fired. Regarding the treatment of employees, this company is like a horse that can be led to water but not forced to drink. This is reinforced by the constant turnover of personnel, where the company would rather hire someone new that they think will be more productive instead of invest in an employee to develop them for the long-term. Even my own manager was fired not much longer after I was let go.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to cut corners with your company to save a buck here and there. Spend the time and resources necessary to develop a positive work environment that fosters the "family business" mentality you spout off about so much. Quit berating and micro-managing your own upper-management personnel. This attitude then trickles down to the rest of the company and creates the dysfunctional environment that currently exists.

"Worked for Risk Placement Services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fair vacation time. A few fair people but not many.

Cons

Can receive great review but still no raise. Lots of bullies.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your people. Lots of great folks work for Risk Placement Services but are not recognized because they are not "family".

"Don't be fooled by the owner's charm. He's not what he appears to be when you meet him"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good downtown location, and if you can put up with being constantly berated, it's a good place to learn the insurance business

Cons

The owner is a person who is so full of himself, it's pathetic. He is always looking for someone to ridicule in front of everyone. The turnover at this place is incredible, and this is a place to avoid working for at all costs. I was so anxious to leave this place that I left without a job to go to. Best thing I ever did.

Advice to Management

Sell the business to someone who treats people with respect and dignity. You sure don't.