Brokers' Risk Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Cheryl Sandner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"So much better than it was!"

I have been working at Brokers' Risk full-time

Pros

I am a current employee. The atmosphere here at Brokers Risk has done a complete 180. Where before it was an environment of fear and 'lucky to have a job', now employees are treated with respect and our opinions actually matter. Management has gone out of their way to show us that we are important to the success of the company. Little things like after work drinks, random cookies and really fun company outings have vastly improved morale.

Cons

None compared to a few years ago. If I had to suggest an improvement, I'd go with a better Healthcare company.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you're doing! We appreciate it as much as you have shown appreciation to us!

"Good Place To Work"

I have been working at Brokers' Risk full-time

Pros

I have been with this company for quite some time. I am tired of reading all the negative postings. This company pays above average salaries, has good benefits and you work a 7.25 hour day. The management team has made positive changes in the past year and the environment has changed for the better. If you want to be part of a team where your opinion and the job that you do makes a difference, you belong here. To all those former employees that put up negative posts, there is a reason your are a “former” employee. Go figure right?

Cons

No work from home option.

Advice to Management

Your employees are behind you!

"Interesting Work, Professional Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brokers' Risk full-time

Pros

Anyone who has worked here under the previous leadership would likely say that the new leadership is a vast improvement in atmosphere and some would even say the change is like night and day. The work is challenging and provides for appropriate professional growth. I can see how working here might be hard for those without a decent amount of experience, because you need to know your stuff to be successful in a small company. That being said, the need for employees to stand on their own without a lot of guidance allows for independent judgment and creative thinking to be used - a big plus for most professionals. Most employees care about their work product and act with integrity.

Cons

Implement a structured, planned, occasional work from home option for employees in good standing. Many companies have adopted such limited plans and it would be a huge win for management and employees alike.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to engage employees and make people want to work here - change is good for everyone! Trust your people, as noted above, most care about their work product.

4. "THINGS MUST CHANGE!!!"

I have been working at Brokers' Risk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 1st Friday of the Month Employee Socials are GREAT!

Cons

The CEO is a HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! I've NEVER seen so many people run to the elevator at 4:15 to leave this place. She's rude, just like her Dad!! I wouldn't be surprised if this company closed for good!

Advice to Management

CHANGE THE MANAGEMENT! THE CULTURE OF THIS COMPANY IS LIKE NONE OTHER THAT I'VE EVER SEEN BEFORE!

"NOT even if you're DESPERATE!!!! #dontdoit"

Current Employee - Senior Workers Compensation Claims Examiner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Workers Compensation Claims Examiner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brokers' Risk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main kitchen/break area is lovely.

Cons

They do not present the true picture or idea of the workload or work environment. There is NO support, literally...no encouragement or motivation to do better. You maintain the best you can until you can find better. They're is LOTS of nepotism..it's kept in the family & fremily...the long time employees are there cause they don't do anything - or they're about to retire so why go elsewhere. There are new employees but that's because SOOOO many leave. They eliminate positions & just pile the work on but this isn't what they tell you...you find out once you're stuck there. No training..no support...HORRIBLE communication.

I expect this business to be closed or sold SOON!!!
    I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy!!!

Advice to Management

Do BETTER!!! Be more PROactive & less REactive. Stop band-aiding situations. Provide adequate resources to do a good job. You CANNOT thrive when you do nothing to encourage growth. I expect you all will be out of business or under new ownership soon. #soonisnotsoonenough

Nov 17, 2016 – VP HR

You don't work here and I'm sorry that things did not work out for you. We hope that you find the perfect job and can move on. Not everyone is a fit for their job - it doesn't mean that person's... More

"STAY AWAY!!!! I wish it was a half star that I could give!"

Former Employee - Administration in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administration in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time

Pros

None! No Pros!!! This company is ran like a concentration camp!

Cons

Everything about the company is a CON!!! Everything!

Advice to Management

Get a NEW CEO, COO and everything else! The company sucks!!! The ONLY person in position that is worth ha in there is the CFO!!!

Nov 4, 2016 – VP HR

Yep...like all companies....no one is perfect. But, we are changing, new leadership and lots of dedicated employees who have been here for a long time. We are doing some things right!

"RUN AWAY"

I have been working at Brokers' Risk full-time

Pros

nothing this place is a complete nightmare, I can't believe they are still in business.

Cons

This is satan's den on earth! The CEO is the biggest jerk you will ever meet.

Nov 4, 2016 – VP HR

We are excited about recent leadership changes here at BR. Again, many long tenured employees here.

"Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter"

Former Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Palatine, IL
    Former Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Palatine, IL

I worked at Brokers' Risk (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture to work in with a friendly environment. The ability to work in a complex position that requires and experienced underwriter with strong analytical skills and relationship management skills.

Cons

A skeleton underwriting team with high turnover in a small family owned company.

Advice to Management

They need a stronger staffing model.

Nov 4, 2016 – VP HR

Thank you for your eight years. We are about continual improvement and adjustment.

"Nothing To Get Excited About"

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One hour lunch but that's about it.

Cons

Company is stuck in the past.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you value them. A once a year Christmas luncheon doesn't count.

Nov 4, 2016 – VP HR

Brokers' Risk, while not perfect, is committed to its employees. We are excited about our recent CHANGE IN LEADERSHIP including HR. We look forward to continued success! We get that one position... More

"Too many rules"

I worked at Brokers' Risk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good experience for whatever department you may be in. You do get a small idea of what every department does, for the most part.

Cons

Employees are not treated well or rewarded for hard work. You must clock in and out every day, whether you are hourly or salary. Being just a few minutes late several times can result in being written up. Unfortunately, management seems to think rewarding employees is by giving out free ice cream or bagels...yet employees don't have any sick days. The CEO and other execs spend thousands of dollars weekly on unnecessary lunches/dinners/etc. Too many rules on employees makes everyone very unhappy. CEO is way past retirement age and needs to call it quits.

Advice to Management

Remove strict rules (clothing/hours/sick days/etc). Hire new HR or possibly mediators for employee issues/arguments. And confidentiality needs to be respected more between employees/HR.

Nov 4, 2016 – VP HR

We don't have sick days - we have PTO (Paid Time Off) days to be used for whatever reason you want! Better than a sick day! And, the Department of Labor dictates how employees must keep their time... More