BuildASign.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 30, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Bryan Kranik

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • B) PERKS- free food, Tacos, Monthly company events, Happy Hours/Team builders, Volunteer Days off, Flexible hours, & health benefits have been great (in 6 reviews)

• Friendly, laid-back company culture with great work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Especially if you are customer service or production (in 4 reviews)

• The executive team has been angry about glassdoor and how to manage their reputation but hasn (in 4 reviews)

1. "Production Team Member"

Current Employee - Production Worker
    Current Employee - Production Worker

I have been working at BuildASign.com full-time

Pros

12hr block shifts make for nice scheduling later in the week. Team Leads are friendly, approachable, and easy to communicate with.

Cons

Work was mundane and repetitive but coffee is provided and music is allowed

Advice to Management

Implement ergonomical tools to help ease strain induced by repetitive full-body rotational tasks, ie punching pallets or box-making. Many employees complain about this to one another. Implement more Lean principles in BAM printing production for material waste and labor-time waste. Maybe look further into RCFA and Corrective Actions to determine consistent defect causes, many may be operator induced and can be avoided with more Standardized routine implemented, I feel. General Kaizen practices here and there.

Overall I thought the facility layout was well planned and done, everything was kept clean, in its place, and general standardized routine was followed. the actual work was mundane and repetitive but the fellow employees and cool leadership made it easy. Good operation going on

"new owners, new problems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at BuildASign.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks- casual dress, approachable staff, company paid fun events

Cons

Place has turned from a fun place to work to a place riddled with fear ever since the company was sold to some corporate minded people.

"Do not recommend working for Customer Love Team"

I have been working at BuildASign.com full-time

Pros

-Great floor managers
    -Great benefits
    -Tacos every other Tuesday
    -Some fun events
    -Volunteer time off, and involvement with community
    -Casual dress

Cons

I would not recommend working for the Customer Love Team at Buildasign. And really it should just be called Customer Support at this point.

There is no longer a culture in this department, and what once was an incredible place to work has gone completely downhill over the last year. There is no trust anymore in the leaders of the department (above the supervisors) and for good reason. They decided to fire some really great people, including one of our best supervisors and a couple of other individuals who had been with the company for many years and had no performance issues. No warning given to these people, and no option for stepping into a different role or anything like that. If you disagree with any changes in the department -- you're gone. Then they fired some of our customer service reps, some may have been deserved but some of them were hitting their metrics but were let go strictly for calls per hour when we had 3 other metrics. I guess I'm supposed to be a robot, and I feel there is no job security now. All they care about now is pumping out calls and emails, and making sales. Giving great customer service doesn't seem to matter at all any longer. This has seemed to all trickle down from the leaders of the company wanting to push for sales, while giving no thought about how its affecting the employees. Now they are limiting the one meal on Fridays that we were getting, even though our team got smaller. The company is also cutting corners in other places with events and stuff...combining employee appreciation with our company meeting. I see more of the culture diminishing in the near future.

The thing is, the company isn't struggling and is doing better than ever. But for some reason the customer service department doesn't want to keep their employees, and many people don't want to be here anymore. Customer service is a highly stressful job and they used to do a great job of offsetting that by the culture and environment. Now that that's pretty much gone, its very hard to be here. Very poor hiring decisions in upper management choosing the leaders of this department. Just another cold, corporate job now.

Advice to Management

Stop for a second to realize what you have done to morale. Reconsider the metrics you are holding us to, because you know the newest sales metric isn't fair (especially for the inquiry team) its nearly impossible. Try to retain the remaining great employees that you have instead of just continuing to let people go. Listen to your employees, and don't punish us for disagreeing with something and speaking our mind, its part of our vision and values to challenge the status quo and stand up for what we believe is right.

"Marketing Internship"

Pros

Great atmosphere with very nice people and great management

Cons

Internship was not very formalized and was very dependent upon who your manager was

"CSR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

One of the best places I've worked as far as compensation for the job.

Cons

Gone down hill over the years. Customers and employees no longer the priority. :(

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at BuildASign.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BuildASign treats people well, provides lots of training, food, team builder events and time off when you need it.
    Pay scale is very competitive.
    Feedback is provided every week on where the company is at and where it is going.

Cons

Benefits aren't the best, but are better than the industry's average.
    Senior Management sometimes plays favoritism instead of merit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Stable Company with great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at BuildASign.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really great people working at BuildASign. The company continues to grow and they are constantly looking for ways to do things better. Community involvement is encouraged and you get paid time off to volunteer.

Cons

The company is relatively young and with that comes inexperienced managers and a lack of quality leadership development.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in employee development and manager training. Also invest a little more time in improving some of the main company components like the design tool and website look/feel.

"Terrible place to work!!!"

Pros

There were really smart people that worked in the office. But that's changed. Snacks and decent paid time off.

Cons

Extremely weak mid and senior management. There are very serious structural issues. A private equity company calls all the shots. Very sad to see what was once a pretty great company fumble so badly.

Advice to Management

Get a grip

"Run before its too late"

Former Employee - QA/Deployment in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA/Deployment in Austin, TX

I worked at BuildASign.com (More than a year)

Pros

They know how to take care of their employees via food and parties, have a great presence in the volunteer community, but little else.

Cons

Layoffs in the technical departments have already cut down on understaffed teams and the new investors/board members are dictating employment. So in order to make room for a new development manager that they hired, buildasign decided to layoff QA for 3 teams and front end developers in a new "reorganization" of teams. I had taken on more work to show that I was valuable in the new structure to no avail and was given my walking papers. Now they currently have no QA for the code that is getting released, just old style cowboy code. Speaking of Code, its spaghetti put together over the past 11 years, you will want to blow your brains out every day you have to dive into it and then find that it has multiple dependencies on any modifications. Another word of warning is they do NOT pay out for PTO. They have an old joke around there that you should never have your PTO hours over 80 or you will get laid off. I should of listened, mine was at 140, had some vacation scheduled coming up, then was laid off, and they will not pay out that vacation that I had worked for. They want to sell you that this company has a start up feel, it does on the surface, but as soon as you scratch at it, you'll notice its a typical mid-size tech company with no soul left.

Advice to Management

Well it would be to get the board out of technical structure decisions, but that's like asking a fish not to swim. You should not be punishing the employees that had nothing to do with missed forecasts, just to make up monetary gains in order to hire a new manager. If they company is supposedly doing so well, then layoffs to understaffed teams should never be the answer. Now those employees that are still there see the writing on the wall and you will lose whatever talent that you have left.

"Investors Own the Company and Favoritism is Abound"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at BuildASign.com (Less than a year)

Pros

At face value, the company seems "fun and hip" with plenty of opportunities to socialize with your coworkers and volunteer. They seem to be relaxed with your stereotypical startup culture, although they aren't really a startup anymore. They seem to be pretty involved in the community.

Cons

I was enthusiastic about joining this company as it had a focus on startup culture and giving back to the community, however my career there was short-lived. I was quickly thrown to the side as a young, up and coming female developer because BuildASign wanted to cut corners and save money for their precious investors. Even though they are a large, growing company with money to spare on various events, they are still at the mercy of their investors. This leaves everyone in a uncomfortable position of existing under a microscope and wondering whether or not they'll be able to keep their job. Basically, if you're not in the home-decor department (who seem to get special treatment) you could easily get the ax. This was true for me even though I was taking on work that should have been done by two people (I was doing more than I was hired for and not being compensated as such).

And here's the WORST PART: if you are a young, single female, people will not take you seriously. Especially in the male-dominated divisions (software development and IT). After withstanding multiple offhand, unprofessional sexual remarks and having my personal bubble intruded upon, I continued to attend work and do my job with a smile on my face. Despite that, I was treated as a second-class employee. I'm truly disappointed at how this company is changing and wish they would celebrate diversity a little better.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in your departments; listen to your employees to figure out what long-term benefits will really help the company instead of just playing a numbers game and trying to please investors. Your employees will quickly leave once they realize their work is constantly being scrutinized at the mercy of Accounting and business persons who don't even know what a day in the life of BuildASign is. Diversify the dev department as it's mostly a men's club.