BuildASign.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at BuildASign.com

2.9

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied for the position through the BuildASign.com website, and was contacted the next day by their recruiter, who helped me schedule a phone interview with a manager from the development team. The phone interview was very short (about half an hour), and covered some basic screening questions on C#, SQL, and general web and programming concepts. He also told me a little about the company and answered some questions I had.

Later that day I received an e-mail asking if I'd be interested in a full interview, and we were able to schedule it for the following week. After arriving, I was given a brief tour of the offices and got introduced around, then sat down for the interview itself. The process lasted about six or seven hours. Everyone was extremely friendly and supportive, but I have to admit that it was a fairly stressful experience. There was nothing inappropriate or unusual about it, it was just long and very thorough.

In the morning there were three one-hour sessions with groups of two interviewers, each one covering a different topic like programming language features, database design and querying, a whiteboard coding problem, design patterns and architecture, and a couple logic puzzles somewhere between brainteasers and "20 questions." They also took an interest in things I had listed on my resume that weren't strictly relevant to the position (and corrected a few misunderstandings!), which was nice.

We then took a break for lunch, which gave me a chance to meet the rest of the development team and just relax a little and have fun. Again, everyone was very friendly and welcoming. The managers gave us some space, and I was encouraged to ask any questions I wanted and "get the dirt" about working for the company.

After lunch there was a series of shorter meetings with senior developers and managers, focusing less on technical questions and more on my interests and goals and the philosophy of the company. I got a tour of the production facility across the street, after which two of the managers sat me down, we did one last puzzle question (which I bombed), and then they went through some of my strengths and weaknesses throughout the day, and surprised me by making an offer. I had to leave quickly to catch my flight, so we worked out the details by e-mail over the weekend.

Interview Questions

• Strangely, the most difficult and stressful part was the (relatively simple) puzzle game at the very end of the day. At that point I'd been at it for about seven hours and my brain was just fried, and of course when I couldn't figure it out quickly I started fixating on the fact that I couldn't figure it out, and it went downhill from there. So, stay sharp even if it feels like the hard part is over and things are winding down!   Answer Question

Negotiation

They held firm with their initial offer, but it was competitive and so I was happy to accept.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone screen with the hiring manager followed by an in-person interview that included a tour of the facility.

The in-person interview included a panel with the Product Owner and QA Engineer and a panel with 2 of the developers. The interview with the developers included writing a few lines of code in Visual Studio (they provided a machine) with the ability to Google if I wanted.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between pessimistic and optimistic concurrency?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone screen by the hiring manager who asked both behavioral and high-level technical questions. Next was the on-site interview where I had 3 separate interviews and got to meet with the entire scrum team and the IT director.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a situation where team members have conflicting ideas of the best way to do something?   Answer Question
    • Questions about SQL clustered indexes, locking, and concurrency.   Answer Question
    • Small C# coding exercises using Visual Studio.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Behavioral interview with the technical manager, followed by a technical interview on the phone with an architect, followed by a unique on-site white board interview. The phone interview consisted of questions covering concepts all over computer science.

Interview Questions

• You are given a database that has a single table with six columns: FirstName, LastName, ContactType, PhoneNumber, Email, CreatedOn.

Data may look like:

John | Doe | Work | 8881234567 | johndoe@email.com | Dec 22, 2012
      John | Doe | Cell | 8882345678 | johndoe@email.com | Dec 23, 2012

The only clue given was the question, "How can we be sure that those two John Doe rows are the same person?" With that, redesign the database for better reliability and performance.   Answer Question
    • Given a string of random (alphabetical) characters, return a new string as follows:

null -> null
      "" -> ""
      "a" -> "a"
      "aa" -> "a2"
      "abb" -> "ab2"
      "abbbxyzeeeec" -> "ab3xyze4c"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online for a software engineer position. The process took about 3+ weeks. The whole process was in three rounds: HR phone interview, hiring manager technical interview, on-site multi-panel interview.

1. Round One - 15 to 30 minute discussion with HR about resume background
    2. Round Two - 30 minute basic technical interview and resume background
    3. Round Three - 3 hour on-site interview with 3 different 2 person groups
         a. first group - one-on-one with director of technology; discussed teams roles and responsible of each team
         b. second group - 2 development managers, mainly behavior questions to gauge your experience.
             questions similar to "tell us the steps on how do you diagnosis a production", "steps on how do you learn a new system or application with little documentation", "how do you create X with little input from client/BA", etc...
          c. three group - senior engineer and architect, all technical questions:
              i. quick 30 questions covering OOP concepts, MVC framework, UI, SQL, C#, Linq, etc...
              ii. algorithm white board question
              iii. create UML to show database normalization white board question
          d. last group - one-on-one with director of technology again; answer questions I had

Overall all the people were very nice and actually enjoyed the interview process.

Interview Questions

• write a method to reverse all the letters of a string   Answer Question
    • Create class diagram to show relationship between teacher/course/student. Should be able to show how to get all the teachers assigned to a student   Answer Question

Web Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in October 2010.

Interview

The position I applied for had been posted for quite a while, and is still posted on every site out there months later. Overall, the interview was straight-forward for the field and I found the panel to be a very nice, if quite green, group of people.

I would not have accepted the position because I don't believe I was a good fit for the company but I think it would be a great place for someone starting their career.

The environment is very open and the office is in a bland industrial park. It seemed to me from the interview as well as the follow-up (none), that those in charge of the decision making for this company's hiring are probably a bit naive and are going to have a very hard time staffing this position as well as others. It was a bit on the 90s .com side for my tastes.

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

My first contact consisted of a phone interview in which the hiring manager was the only one on the phone (or so I thought since he did not introduce anyone else). During my second panel interview with four people the supervisor let it slip that others were listening during my first interview. I thought this was very unprofessional. I also had to sign a non-confidentiality agreement even before the second interview. All of the questions they had for me were about my other positions at large corporations and how they did things. It seemed like that was the only reason why I was interviewed. I also didn't like the fact that on the panel were people that the position would supervise. When I asked how long the last person held the position and what were the positives/negatives that they wanted changed, their response was that the last employee only held that position for 6 months. I had a red flag right then.

I heard back several days later that they wanted me to complete a skills test. I had no problem with that except they wanted a redesign of their homepage within 48 hrs. as well as a critique of two e-commerce sites. I reluctantly did the work-I did not do my best as at that point I decided that even if they offered me the job I would not accept. Not having key information about a company and their product will not produce an effective redesign. There test was ineffective and ridiculous. You should not be required to actually produce work for a company before you are hired. A skills test should be hypothetical.

I thought that the practice of signing a non-disclosure agreement and then wanting you to violate any privacy of other companies to get a job was unethical. The place was a sty and 40 people were in the room the size of a conference room working so close together that you could bump into someone just by writing. The receptionist was in the hallway and I bumped into her on walking in the door. Cooking utensils were in the bathroom!

I have no idea why this company keeps getting voted as the best place to work in Austin. This was not a professional environment at all.

Interview Questions

• Detailed questions about the procedures of the other large companies I have worked for...   1 Answer

IT Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was very impressed with the interview process at BuildASign. The process was pretty straightforward. HR first reached out to screen and gage a fit. I then spoke with the Hiring manager who was first very respectful of my crazy schedule with my current position, but then had a very natural conversation about what I was looking for and my background, but also about me personally and the kind of person I am. I really enjoyed coming in and meeting the team. The office space is very open and warm. I came in twice and each time I was there for a long time, but that was because the conversation flowed and everyone was very honest and forthright.

This company is very clearly committed to the culture. I was asked a lot more questions about how I would handle myself vs. my technical background.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really specific, I was asked several questions about how I would approach certain situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Received a more than fair offer. I actually love to negotiate, but felt they put a great offer out and did not feel it was necessary.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in June 2010.

Interview

I applied through an ad on Craigslist. The recruiter called me up a day or so later to schedule a phone interview. Spoke on the phone with the interviewer for 30 minutes or so... was asked a few case questions re: say you're a marketing consultant for a small boutique.. etc etc. Was called back for an in person. Nailed it!

Interview Questions

• say you're a marketing consultant for a boutique who is seeing sales slow down, what do you say?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BuildASign.com (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Easy. I was emailed a very descriptive outline of who i would be meeting with and when. This itinerary was on point with the actual interview afternoon. The interview was thorough and I believe their process truly gave each party a clear understanding each others expectations.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest strength during the sales process?   Answer Question