COPS Monitoring Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim McMullen

1. "Read me if you want a TRUE review of the company from someone who willingly left the company"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Sewell, NJ
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Sewell, NJ

I worked at COPS Monitoring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at this company for a few years and only left because I started a job for what I was going to school for. During my time at Cops, I found the company to be an incredible job for someone like me who was going to school. The salary could have been a little better. I felt a little underpaid for someone who is directly dealing with peoples lives and property in my hands, especially when real emergency alarms came in. The benefits were really good. I didn't need some of them but they were still really good (health insurance, vacation, 401K, etc...) I never had a bad experience with my managers and I worked on all three shifts at different points when I worked there. The people on here bashing the job, the managers, the rules are probably the spoiled and ungrateful brats that didn't follow the rules or they did not listen to their managers and just did not like the company in general. If you are looking for a great entry level job to carry through until you get a degree, this is a good spot. Don't get caught up in the drama and follow the rules and work hard, and you will be fine. You may even catch a promotion or two while you are there.

Cons

The salary could be higher.

Advice to Management

Nothing, I enjoyed working for every manager or supervisor I worked with and I never once received a written warning for not following a policy or rule.

2. "Dispatcher"

Former Employee - Dispatcher VI in Williamstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Dispatcher VI in Williamstown, NJ

I worked at COPS Monitoring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guaranteed hours, picnic and holiday party, OT is often available, good health insurance plans. I really can't think of anything else.

Cons

The pay is less than any other company in the field will pay. There is a lot of favoritism, rule were only enforced when managers on shift were in a bad mood; even then, a select few were still allowed to break rules while others got written up. There are often too many distractions such as managers yelling or singing behind you while you're trying to dispatch, managers and supervisors trying to talk to you while you're on the phone handling an alarm, or managers standing around you loudly talking to coworkers about sports while you're trying to do your job. Sometimes you have to wait over an hour to use the bathroom because the line is so long and some managers would rather you wait than send more than one person out of the room at a time. No absences are excused, not even with doctors notes which is ridiculous when there are employees who have health problems. There is no job security. If they feel like it, they will find any reason possible to fire you.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are trying to get their jobs done. Don't be a distraction that will cause them to get written up for mishandling an alarm that can cause them to fail an eval or get fired. Stop playing favorites and keep your rules consistent across the board, don't just allow things when you feel like it and then write someone up for doing the same thing the next day because you're in a bad mood.

"Dispatcher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamstown, NJ

I have been working at COPS Monitoring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and company picnic is awesome but only the higher ups win.

Cons

All the company is is favoritism and tell them what they want to hear. As long as you're a favorite you can get whatever you want, for example, if you know how to tap dance or are a football fan then they will let you leave early. Sorry if you are a good employee you might have sit there while you watch the young attractive females take 30 minute bathroom breaks while everyone else is timed and see the supervisors smoking cigarettes and on their phones.

Advice to Management

Become an adult, stop picking favorites. Learn to communicate with everyone... Not just if they like sports or girls. Maybe talk to the other dispatchers like human beings and not sexual. Everyone sees it but can't say anything because than your on the hit list to get fired like everyone elae

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at COPS Monitoring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work with your schedule, friendly staff and management and you receive proper training.

Cons

I don't have any cons currently

Advice to Management

I've only been there for a week but everyone is very friendly, even the managers. They also make sure that you are prepared before they throw you in to work on your own. By havin you listen in to phone calls and if your comfortable taking calls of your own you learn the system very quickly and correctly.

6. "MANAGMENT"

Current Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at COPS Monitoring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people to work with from upper management to operators. The employee benefits are amazing, the praise and recognition is also great and always genuine. Great opportunity to grow within the company

Cons

The pay could be higher
    more flexibility with attendance
    more site spirit (visual boards, contest,)
    short meal breaks

7. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at COPS Monitoring full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Full benefits. Competitive pay. Great co workers. SO many incentives! Very generous company!

Cons

Strict rules that don't bend for anyone. Point system for attendance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, times change which call for changes to be made and someone people don't like change but with smooth moves made it'll all go over well. No sudden drastic changes.

8. "Dispatcher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamstown, NJ

I have been working at COPS Monitoring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What I love about this company is how family oriented it is. I have been working here just about a year now and I am blown away by all of the things they do for their employees. We just had a Holiday party that was beyond compare. I have awesome managers who are there for me when I need them. They are very fair and do the best they can to accommodate each employee. If you're looking for somewhere where you can make a difference and feel appreciated, this is where you want to be. I'll be long term for sure!

Cons

The attendance policy is a bit much but I have known them to work with people to avoid calling out. I would offer vacation time sooner so someone doesn't have to go a whole year to get time off.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

"horrible managers and supervisors and everything is about politics"

Current Employee - Dispatcher II in Williamstown, NJ
    Current Employee - Dispatcher II in Williamstown, NJ

I have been working at COPS Monitoring full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

paid vacation time, works with school schedules, level 6 trips, and benefits

Cons

NO JOB SECURITY HERE COULD BE FIRED FOR ANY REASON AND WITHOUT REASON WITHOUT NOTICE.
    The managers and supervisors here act like children. They make rules just to justify their previous actions. To prove that their not showing favorites they just do it to random people. They do not know how to run a peaceful shift they rule with an iron fist. No one can be friends other than them if you are you will be chastised for hanging out with other dispatchers but they can all go out and talk about dispatchers. They put your personal information on blast so if one of the managers know you can bet the whole shift knows. Nothing is confidential. They have their little minions to get information or eavesdrop on what your saying so they can use that as against you. Everything is a double standard they can do what ever they want and will make a rule to fit their needs at the time but you turn around and do the same thing and your in hot water. Its like going to high school all over again and your not in their clique so you get blacklisted from doing things. I do not recommend this job if you want to keep your sanity. The benefits are not even worth the drama anymore. Most current dispatchers are looking for other employment to get away from the drama that is sturred up by the supervisors and managers. The people writing positive reviews are most likely management or people that are friends with mangement and get to reap all the benefits and do whatever they please while everyone else has to follow their petty rules that they make up on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Fire the supervisors and managers or they should have to take classes or do a work shop on how to be professional in the work place because clearly they lack professionalism. The sad thing is it hasnt always been this way. But do damage control and try to cover their own mistakes and when you go to higher ups about it nothing gets done. They claim to not like complacency but they have become complacent.

"Favoritism"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Williamstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Williamstown, NJ

I worked at COPS Monitoring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a bad job, not too hard or extrenuous.

Cons

Management plays favorites. There is too much drama.

Advice to Management

Management should be focused more on the actual job itself than personal drama.

11. "Decent employer, but things could be better."

Former Employee - Lead Dispatcher in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Dispatcher in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at COPS Monitoring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A generally good crew of people from top to bottom, in my experience. I worked at the Hunt Valley, MD location for about 2 years after COPS bought the original central station. Not much changed immediately, gradually we shifted towards their policies. Some of these changes were for the better, some for the worst.

Cons

Retention is terrible and that puts added stress on long time employees to cover. The pay is incredibly low for this kind of work, especially when you consider there is on call shifts as well. It really makes it difficult to take a random day off, especially when you consider how strict the attendance policy is. I wouldn't say the job is incredibly difficult, but I would say the every day employees deserve to be treated a little better. I feel that the employees are generally undervalued and treated as expendable when they're the lifeblood of the company. Not only is the starting pay incredibly low, the raises you get are very low as well. When COPS bought AlarmWatch raises went from about a dollar a year to, at most, .50 cents. And that's if you're lucky.

Advice to Management

The only thing I'd suggest is to show more appreciation for employees. Working for COPS isn't exactly a privilege or something to be proud of when you don't feel you're being valued by the company. It's hard to recommend potentially good employees a job at COPS when you know they will be underpaid and undervalued. The job market is only becoming more competitive and general pay wages are going up.