Calytera Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2019

3.5
Calytera CEO Erin Mulligan Nelson
Erin Mulligan Nelson
Pros
  • "Nice working environment, good place to learn new things,(in 5 reviews)

• "Some good people get tricked into working here because they don't realize how bad it is(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "CEO motivates incompetents and be flippant about deserving one’s(in 5 reviews)

• "Senior management has zero interest in any changes or adoption to changing business and technology landscape(in 4 reviews)

1. "Good company to start with"

Current Employee - Database Developer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Calytera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary, relaxed environment and cool co-workers

Cons

Nothing as of now and everything looks fine

Calytera2012-08-17

"Don't do it..."

I worked at Calytera full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay was okay and benefits were good.

Cons

Top heavy with management; new management drastically cut positions making a much heavier workload for the remaining employees; very stressful environment with little support

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

Calytera2019-03-29
  3. "Getting Better"

I have been working at Calytera full-time

Pros

CEO is Great, new leadership seems to have their stuff together

Cons

Going through changes, need to grow

Calytera2018-05-15

"good luck there ... you will need it"

I worked at Calytera full-time

Pros

pay hours environment boss benfits

Cons

supervisor, people, hours, benefits, location

Calytera2018-03-15
  5. "Great experience"

I worked at Calytera part-time

Pros

Lots of growth and opportunity

Cons

Management needs to care more about employees

Advice to Management

Care more and be more fair everything was great though

Calytera2017-07-14

"Keep Looking"

I have been working at Calytera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you really really need a job or to get experience, and no luck anywhere else, I guess try it out.

Cons

Everything! Pay sucks, favoritism advances, zero room for growth, management is terrible, HR is worse, they will fire you for catching a cold basically, especially in non peak season. Training is a joke. My advice is to keep looking, or be an in and out employee, Temp, don't waste your time here, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Advice to Management

Waste of time, but show that you value your employees in some way other than bagels on Friday in the break room. Overworked, drained, no respect towards focus area, no real pto, no incentives, no working from home unless unexpected circumstances, no real bonus, no 401k, high insurance, nothing of a benefit, a joke of a company

Calytera2017-03-24

"A company committing suicide."

I worked at Calytera

Pros

They pay well at least.

Cons

There is virtually nothing left to say that hasn't been said. The CEO acts wildly, irrationally, tells easily verifiable lies, denies meeting took place, etc, etc. Employees have walked out in the middle of the day never to return after blow ups by management. Commissions are always negotiated *after* the sale to ensure sales staff are never paid what they are contractually owed resulting in high sales staff... turnover. Consultants are consistently abused and overworked, resulting in high consultant turnover. If you've ever wondered how a company can commit suicide, look no further. It is actually quite sad.

Advice to Management

None.

Calytera2016-05-03

"Keep Looking, You Can Do Better!!!"

I worked at Calytera

Pros

-smart people to work with

Cons

-Managers don't care about you. -You are just a employee number, get the job done or you will be discarded

Calytera2015-08-10

"A honest review."

I have been working at Calytera

Pros

CSDC, more specifically the Client Services team, provided me the opportunity to develop skills -- both soft and technical -- I saw as requisite for any business professional. The benefits are okay to good; pay is good, vacation and sick days are standard, (for the US) health insurance is provided at no cost. Also for the US, a 401k was just/finally introduced though the funds in the plan of mediocre performance,... with high management fees, and there's no match. The main reason to work at CSDC is for the exposure. Whether you're business or technical, you'll quickly be client facing. I can't speak enough about the value this added to my skill sets. I loved the clients, most of whom are municipal or provincial/state government in North America. Departures at CSDC seem to come in waves; these sometimes allow for quick promotion, sometimes too quickly. Not really a pro, but it's something that needs to be addressed since CSDC's HR department won't do it; the negative reviews on GlassDoor are pretty exaggerated. The recent review about the sexual harassment was never addressed further while I was at CSDC and I won't speculate as to the outcome. For the other reviews, I think most are from former Sales employees. CSDC's sales team was blotted, inefficient, ineffective, and grossly overpaid. The executive team got wise to this and cut the fat, maybe a bit less surgically than it could have. Many of those fired sued for one reason or another. There was a lot of bad blood but ultimately for the best of customers and of CSDC. Overall, be ready to work hard, to move fast, and to think on your feet. CSDC is ultimately a consulting firm. Consultants are not hired to 'do'; they're hired to think. Many that can't keep up at CSDC are those that can't think and spend too long of hours 'doing.'

Cons

The executive team is the biggest con, and largely the source of all other cons. A lot of people have bashed the CEO. Such reviews, again, seem to be from disgruntled sales staff that got the ax. The CEO is eclectic, brash, and speaks his mind. He's not as delicate as many think a CEO should be, and leaves it to delegates to clean up any messes he causes. I've never had an issue with him but there have been some... clean ups in the past. However, none of those clean ups are as bad as they're made out to be on GlassDoor. The worst of the executive team is not the CEO. The others on the team are your run of the mill yes-men and -women. There is little backbone in the VPs. These yes-men and -women bring too little diversity in thought at the top and create a vacuum where vision and strategy should be. Without vision and strategy, CSDC is far too reactive to clients to be a true COTS provider. The lack of vision that went in to many of the modules of the software is worrisome. Sales has a standing decree to promise whatever it takes to win a RFP. The product is never fully enhanced to facilitate such promises, leaving project implementation teams to bootstrap the platform to facilitate the client's requirements. Many promises have been made both internally and externally on the next generation of the software. Early demonstrations of this platform have been positive...I'm just too jaded by other failed promises to believe this will be the silver bullet.

Advice to Management

Enable. Transform. Lead. Those are the words on the CSDC logo. I wish management would follow the guidance of those words. Enable your staff. Listen to their thoughts, their ideas, and their concerns. Do not attack them for providing contrarian views. CSDC has been off-trajectory for too long. I hope the hire of new management (who replaces one of those 'promoted too quickly' persons) will facilitate an open... discussion of what is needed to make each project successful. Transform your tactics. A few months ago an email went out asking us to submit glowing reviews of the company on GlassDoor -- I don't think anyone actually followed through on this. The mail went on to say that if the anonymity of the reviews could be peeled back, those making negative reviews would be sued. Instead of focusing on retaliatory tactics, the efforts of the management team should be spent developing a realistic (wish I could make that bold..) roadmap for the firm and product offerings. Have HR proactively follow up on the negative reviews. Lead from the front. Anyone can manage, and managing is not leading. CSDC is a small company and everyone should be batting for the same team. An easy way to demonstrate leadership and generate cohesion would be for management to admit to mistakes made in the recent past with product development, project escalations, and acquisitions to create a culture of open dialogue at all ranks. Show your frontline staff, your developers, and your sales team that CSDC truly has a culture of humility and customer service from the top down. Nodding to the client and promising them everything will only carry you until the next issue arises. Then what? Leaders are proactive; they plan, commit, and succeed.

Calytera2015-02-21

"On a road to nowhere"

I worked at Calytera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can't think of any reason to work here. You're better off living under a bridge than working for this company. At least you'd be able to maintain a shred of dignity and self respect under a bridge.

Cons

CSDC has absolutely no leadership. None whatsoever. "Management" consists of spineless, insecure incompetents who were hired, promoted, or appointed based on nepotism or their unwavering ability to provide lip service to the owner's random, incoherent ramblings. "Management's" only motivational tool is coercion, which is used on a daily basis. "Management" has no plan, but consistently alludes to having a plan,... and to be executing that plan with the utmost effort. No one outside of "management" has ever been made privy to the details of "the plan", but "management" assures the employees that "the plan" is a great one. "Management" is apparently unaware that the company's employees must be made aware of the details of "the plan" and, heaven forbid, perhaps even consulted during the development of "the plan" if it is to have any chance of succeeding. Through their daily demonstrations of their unparalleled incompetence, "management" has succeeded in alienating the entire employee population. Employee morale ranks somewhere between death row and a Siberian gulag. Experienced employees are exiting the company faster than new interns can be found to replace them. CSDC Systems is a hateful place to work. Unless you enjoy self-loathing, avoid this company at all costs.

Calytera2015-01-07