Cameron Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Scott Rowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Benefits and decent work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Easy work great benefits very relaxed environment (in 43 reviews)

1. "I love it!"

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cameron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want new opportunities/promotions all you have to do is look for them and work hard to get them. Good people and Bosses.

Cons

None at this moment. Down turn affecting Oil & Gass

Advice to Management

Keep the good work and taking care of your employees.

2. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Patent Paralegal in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Patent Paralegal in Houston, TX

I worked at Cameron (More than 10 years)

Pros

Upbeat, progressive, all around goo environment.

Cons

Work loads can be heavy.

Advice to Management

Do the best job you can considering the current price of oil.

3. "Great Place to work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cameron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expansive career with new SLB merger
    Plants have family atmosphere
    Opportunities to travel with work

Cons

centralized functions hold up progress at plants i.e. purchasing, IT, HR, payroll.
    SLB management not always open to accepting best practices from CAM group.

Advice to Management

Accept best practices from both sides of the acquisition. SLB has a lot to learn about SAP use. CAM can gain a great deal from the actually documented and followed SOPs and SLAs of SLB. If both sides would be open to learning from each other employee engagement would be higher. SLB could be more welcoming to legacy CAM employees.

"Worst environment ever!"

Former Employee - HSE in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - HSE in Houston, TX

I worked at Cameron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

On-site gym and trainer were great!

Cons

When Jim Wright and Scott Rowe left, so did any personal involvement with "the pee-ons" (I actually heard a VP call employees that). There is no mentoring. No exposure to upper management. Doug Milke was hired to be a hatchet man and he did a great job of it. He is completely detached from the entire workforce. And that's a trickle down effect. If I wanted to talk to my boss I had to make an appointment. And if I even sent an email to the manager above my boss, he had to be copied. Otherwise, someone might realize how useless he is. Everyone I knew, and I knew just about everyone, was completely miserable and over worked. I was supposed to build a safety culture at my facility but nobody cares about safety and in that environment, they never will. It's a joke. After working for my boss for several years, I can tell you nothing about him as a person outside of work. He is a robot. He invested no time into actually getting to know me on even the most superficial level. At a company luncheon, he was once asked how long he had been married and he refused to answer. It actually made everyone very uncomfortable. There was no team culture or involvement. There were just supervisors and worker bees. Morale is lower at Cameron than at any other company I've ever worked for. Managers are drones and if they aren't drones, they're tyrannical. There is no originality. I had one boss who never even read my resume and I worked for him for years, constantly trying to advance. I even put my resume in his chair and saw him throw it in the trash before he sat down. My boss after him actually paid attention and mentored me (ONLY one I ever saw do that) and I was promoted. This was a total anomaly since I didn't go to A&M or Harvard and wasn't a GRDP. He, of course, was laid off because he wasn't a GRDP and was over the age of 50. Well, the new boss had no clue about what I did but took credit for all my work. I was shocked to see his resume on Careerflow (which was also useless) and read that he had taken credit for EVERYTHING I did. Every process I implemented was on his resume as his accomplishment. He was such a yes man that every time I'd come to him with an idea, his first response was "Well, what are the other facilities doing?". Who cares? If everyone else was jumping off a bridge, would you? This is a policy we aren't following that needs to be implemented! Just make a decision already or, since you know nothing about it, let me do my job. He didn't have an original thought in his head and always went with the status quo. No innovation at all - except for mine that he was taking all the credit for. The only guidance or mentoring I ever got was from Corporate so when SLB came in and swept them clean, that resource was cut as well. Also, they care way too much about the GRDP's when they are firing good, hard working employees with tenure and experience. GRDP's actually bragged about their new assignments during the downturn when hundreds of people were being laid off because the GRDP's were getting their jobs and knew they were safe. And, at some point my salary was cut but I have no idea when. Nobody ever told me. A few years before that, after a stellar performance appraisal, I received a 1% raise and was expected to be grateful. That was the last raise I got and it was in 2014. They did away with merit raises and never even bothered to tell employees. The constant fear of being laid off was beyond stressful for everyone. But those GRDP's had nothing to fear and let everyone know about it. Oh, and the "Behavior Observation Program" is the biggest, most stupid waste of time I've ever seen yet they made it mandatory. Nobody cares! I hope SLB got rid of it. Nobody cares about monthly safety reports. Nobody cares about safety statistics at all. Especially HR. There is absolutely no support from HR. You can total your company vehicle while being completely at fault and there are absolutely no ramifications whatsoever. From day 1 it was highly evident that management was completely remiss, VP titles were handed out like candy, and managers did not care about their teams as people. I hope SLB made that better but I highly doubt it.

Advice to Management

Care about your people. They are your bread and butter. And evaluate your managers accomplishments every now and then by asking their teams how they feel about their working environment. Then you might gain some real insight about who the good managers are and who the bad ones are. And GET RID of the bad ones. And GRDP's should not be getting jobs over other people just because they're fresh out of school. That's ageism. You should be sued for it.

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Cameron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and products with great market share

Cons

Long hours and separate SBU processes make inter departmental coordination difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work though the acquisition!

6. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Cameron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great communication by manager, understanding, an training opportunities.

Cons

Lots of changes by upper management, never set in stone rules or policies.

7. "GRDP Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cameron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The more open minded and ambitious you are, the more you will learn and succeed in this program. Great benefits and opportunities.

Cons

The program used to have communication issues but has since fixed those. Keep continuing to provide training to all members and stay connected with managers and grdps

Advice to Management

Provide same training opportunities for all grdps regardless of location

8. "Good Intentions, no commitment"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Cameron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay with OK benefits and working conditions in the office. It could do a lot better if it had proper job training and follow through with some of the goals set.

Cons

Lack of commitment for a cohesive progress from division senior management.Seems that everyone is only interested in their own bottom line and way of doing things and not accepting progress for the entire company. The entire company comes across as disjointed. Improvements are slow to be accepted. Now that schlumberger bought out Cameron, perhaps this independent operation attitude could change.

Advice to Management

Think for the good of the entire organization. Drive home improvements and enforce them. Any old school attitude don't fit in today's workplace.

"Global Rotational Development Program (GRDP)"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cameron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great ways to learn different things throughout the company. Lots of personal training and movement to different locations when the times are good.

Cons

Advice to future engineers. The GRDP program has little to no engineering work what so ever. This program is all operations based. So if you plan on working as an engineer this not for you. I regret heading this route because it has limited my ability to be an engineer. It also works against you if you try to head that route throughout your program. Typical jobs after the program include, buying. planning, sourcing, warehouse supervisor, materials(inventory) supervisor and manufacturing engineer which is not even classified as an engineer here. Some job rotations are good in the program and some are completely useless and you will be just a number waiting to finish the program. Finding the right job can be tough since the industry downturn. Also, moving around and getting the right job is all about who you know not what you know which is typical for the O&G industry. Some people would be at a certain full time job role for a few months before they are moved to a much better job positions and others are just stuck waiting.

Advice to Management

None. Management does what all the other companies do that's the nature of the game.

10. "Great benefits, ok culture"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I worked at Cameron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cameron had great benefits and programs available to employees and dependents. Good opportunities for someone looking to grow long term with a company.

Cons

Very corporate culture with alot of red tape. You must be ok with this before you start working here. It can be frustrating to see an issue with a system and not be able to do anything to fix it. Very much a cubicle environment.