CareGuide Reviews

Updated Feb 22, 2021

3.1
CareGuide Chief Executive Dad John Philip Green (no image)
John Philip Green
Pros
  • "Unlimited Vacation, Friday Lunches(in 4 reviews)

• "Its a great environment to learn and an opportunity to grow with a wonderful organization(in 3 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some very smart people worked in this company and when they left, they found great jobs, which is amazing(in 3 reviews)

• "I see people writing "slow elevators" here - don't believe them(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Retired DayCare Owner

Sep 19, 2019 - Business Owner in Savannah, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have always have fun teaching learning and playing with kids of all ages special handicapped children no matter their difficulties but I thought I wanted to retire after 16 years I've been home baby 5 months and I really miss my interaction with all the children so here we are

Cons

I will not accept or tolerate disrespect in any situation

7 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Really good learning experience

Apr 15, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I learnt a lot about the business in a very short time. I was challenged but also given a lot of guidance to do my role. The atmosphere is very friendly and open and the CEO John has a open door policy which I really appreciated

Cons

The work is not routine and its more projects based

56 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Current Employee

Ingenuine CEO - what you see is not what you get

Oct 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance Career development perks Focus on promoting women in tech

Cons

CEO not forthright with employees on matters such as equity, culture Nepotism - employees close with CEO get promoted Product is still very much web 2.0

17 people found this review helpful

CareGuide Response

Thank you for acknowledging some of the great the pros of working at CareGuide. We appreciate your feedback on the areas that have disappointed you Being the CEO of a rapidly growing company can be very challenging and we really appreciate the employees that stick around while we grow together.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Paralysis to improve a product that could really help people

Feb 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great office space and benefits, appreciated the good snacks and lunch catering

Cons

An inability to make progressive decisions with a clear through line. A toxic culture focused on short-term growth at the expense of the product with a heavy bias to allocating time, money, and resources towards a single vanity metric. The expectation was to perform above and beyond your roles and responsibilities, which ultimately became normalized and led everyone to be in constant state of burnout. Favouritism was also evident, which resulted in inequitable opportunities to develop your career and go up for promotions. Salary raises and title changes were not necessarily tied to the merits of someone's work but rather their ability to network. Truly a monoculture of Yes-men. Leadership was extremely laid back, checked out, and disinterested, thus change primarily came from the bottom-up. Eventually, however, initiatives ended up dead in the water due to the lack of top-down buy-in and support. Overall, there's a paralysis to improve the product either because those in charge don't want to or don't know how to. As with many startups, that's what happens when people are prematurely promoted to positions that they have no experience in or guidance to do an effective job.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I loved my experience at CareGuide!

Jun 23, 2020 - Human Resources Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people and the mission of what CareGuide stands for! As a Sr HR Leader, I had the opportunity to sit at the table with the rest of the Sr Leadership team to ensure that the employee experience was top of mind in everything we did. I was listened to, respected, and supported. I am so proud of the fact that some truly phenomenal contributors were recognized and promoted to leadership roles because of their drive, passion, and willingness to learn. We hired externally but we also developed within! It was amazing to watch some of the smartest people that I have ever worked with lead with their minds but also their hearts. Working side by side with the Chief Executive Dad, I can attest to the fact that he leads with autonomy and trust. He gave us the space to do what we all did best and was always there if/when we needed him. When you spoke with him, he made you feel like the most important person in the world. That to me is priceless and so important!

Cons

The only downside I would say is decision making and alignment at times. Multiple products and different priorities can lead to having to make some tough calls about resources and priorities. As any passionate group of people, we all wanted our function or product to thrive so we learned how to work as a team to focus on the right things at the right time. DATA was very helpful here and CareGuide is one of the strongest data-driven organizations I have ever worked for.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Wonderful place to grow! Great team

Jun 1, 2020 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Wonderful culture, it really feels like a family. - Everyone from coworkers to managers are really supportive and caring and wants to see you grow - Lots to do from an engineering perspective, the engineering and product managers are always open to new ideas and open to trying new technologies - I LOVED the weekly one on one interviews and the honest open communication, I could talk about anything that was on my mind even if it was outside of work and my manager would listen and always provide great feedback and advice - The yearly retreat(CareFest) is so much fun - Office snacks, Friday catered lunches, great benefits Via League - Strong product and engineering culture

Cons

- Needs more dogs in the office - Lots of old code in the backend codebase that needs to be improved upon on

5 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0

Know when it's over.

Apr 25, 2020 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits were good and unlimited vacation are the pros

Cons

Who uses a pandemic to hide a business running out of options? This company. They let many vital, smart people go and now the exec team is 1/3 of the staff, which is kind of funny if I'm honest. Who is left two manage? They told us that it's a temporary layoff, but they had massive money problems and were cutting all budgets back - they are buying time to keep the exceutives paid as long as possible. All in all, even without layoffs, this place was a big disappointment. The people in charge of employee satisfaction are a huge part of the problem. if you can't drink all of their coolaid with a smile, expect to be removed. and don't expect your output to count. The people they choose to keep in some cases are downright shocking vs employees who knew the product/ history/ customers. They claim to be in the care field but when choosing between what's best for users and whats best for themselves, they pick the latter. Beware thhis is not the place nor the people they claim to be in interviews or in your first few weeks, I'd say beware but I doubt they will weather this crisis. Like other reviews have said, too many mistakes over a long period of time.

10 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

A culture that all companies should aspire to

Mar 9, 2020 -  in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having a healthy culture does not mean getting everything right on the first try, but it does mean that when things aren't ideal, people acknowledge that an issue exists, take accountability for their actions when necessary, and work collaboratively with others to make positive improvements.  These are the core tenets that CareGuide's team holds sacred across all levels and departments of the organization. These are also the tenets that shape the culture and offer employees a psychologically safe environment.

Cons

Given that an (almost) all-new exec team has been put in place over the past 6-12 months, it can sometimes take longer to reach consensus than would be ideal. That said, it's clear that there's a desire for improvement in this area, which gives me the confidence that this will resolve given a bit more time.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Really Great Company

Jun 18, 2020 - Full Stack Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Insane Professional Growth - Really close interdepartment teamwork - Constant opportunities to work closely with whichever component of the Org or system that you feel comfortable with - Culture within the company is easy and fun to mesh with

Cons

- typical software company problems, many people entering and leaving - nothing else within their control (ie, covid)

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great concept falls short due to poor management

Aug 28, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very data-driven and at times they are willing to open the door for opportunities, extremely intelligent colleagues

Cons

Not willing to listen to sound ideas from anyone not in a C-suite position, impactful designs or product updates are placed on the back-burner for anything marketing related every time. Constantly putting the executive team first, even at the expense of tenured and skilled employees.

6 people found this review helpful