CareGuide Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Philip Green

"Really good learning experience"

Pros

I learnt a lot about the business in a very short time. I was challenged but also given a lot of guidance to do my role. The atmosphere is very friendly and open and the CEO John has a open door policy which I really appreciated

Cons

The work is not routine and its more projects based

"Hustling for the sake of apperances"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at CareGuide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Given the opportunity to learn from some really talented engineers
    - Location
    - Some very nice coworkers who I still call friend to this day

Cons

- Unclear vision
    - Product takes a back seat to business growth and making the numbers look good to investors
    - Multidisciplinary teams was a bad idea
    - Favoritism and special treatment for a select few

Advice to Management

I can't pretend to know enough to advise management on how to grow a business. I can however tell them that I left Careguide feeling tossed aside. Do not promise a workplace where employee growth is a priority, when that isn't the truth.

"Culture is more than just visibility"

I have been working at CareGuide full-time

Pros

- Central and accessible location
    - Mostly friendly and helpful peers
    - Many coworkers are friends outside of work
    - Growth!
    - Genuinely wants to culture to be important foundation of Careguide

Cons

- Boasts an impressive culture but there is much room for improvement (See advice to management)
    - Nepotism: Making it impossible to point out errors or improvements for certain people. There have been multiple incidents of bullying but little change has happened as individuals still operate as they wish
    - Turnover. Some departures are announced and others are just swept under the rug. Everyone knows turnover is a lot higher than the senior team wants to let on publicly. Transparency is appreciated
    - Wide divide between the senior team and everyone else. Look at the people you are appointing as leaders. Some are great at their trade but terrible managers.

Advice to Management

The culture here doesn't suck but it feels precisely like a horse and pony show. The senior team is more interested in parading around the visible minorities they have collected to the startup community /investors than actually working on making Careguide an inclusive environment. We are people - not collectable tokens. Just because I work here as a minority, doesn't mean that it feels inclusive.

Visible diversity is great but there's no need to flaunt our progress in comparison to other companies who are doing less. Stop tooting our own horn, and focus on comparing to those who are doing more to create an inclusive workplace. Feels gross when stats about our diversity are posted publicly............. is that the only reason why I was hired?

Diversity and inclusiveness goes beyond skin. Religion? Sexual orientations? Neurodivergence? We seem to only promote/celebrate/discuss what can be assumed based on visibility. I shouldn't have to yell that I am "___" or have "____" in order to have a safe, supportive and respectable environment that embraces me as I am.

If you want to publicly boast about how inclusive and attentive you are as a company, have someone explain to the CEO why calling star employees "studs" does not show the sensitivity he claims to have. There have been other incidents where a lack of sensitivity showed (like using the unfortunate pop culture term "SAVAGE"). Nobody's perfect but don't brag about awareness and being a leader in diversity when there is clearly much still to be learned.

Glassdoor was Careguide's pride and joy and now we ignore it because it has negative reviews. How about taking the critiques and putting it towards making a better company? Replying to the less than perfect reviews would also be a notable step in better in the company.

"Honest Review"

I have been working at CareGuide full-time

Pros

A driven, intelligent and (mostly) friendly team powers Careguide's tremendous success. Company continues to grow rapidly with no end in sight.
    Great location, perks and flexible hours.

Cons

The vision is not clear... a red flag

We show off our 5/5 Glass Door reviews, but stop determining the health of our company's culture based on this site and listen to your employees to improve.

People joined Careguide with the promise of career growth, but not everyone feels that they are given the same chance as others to build a career path.

Advice to Management

Management is clearly looking to improve by opening up dialogue.
    Good start but read between the lines: the team doesn't feel comfortable being upfront and honest with the management. Nobody to be the one to burst the 'perfect culture' image we push.

"Who's leading what?"

I have been working at CareGuide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Select fun and outgoing individuals to work with. Some team activities. Some good leadership. Good location

Cons

It is difficult to work with people who refuse to grasp collaborative work and think they know better than anyone else. Some people continue to produce sub par work and have no open mind to changes. Very difficult to push ideas forward when there is no transparency and everything is based on lies. Little to no support or encouragement given to employees actually making an effort to help grow the company. A few silo individuals make all the decisions and the rest have to do what they say. There is no teamwork on changes and the product continues to suffer. How about Instead of focusing only on what drives revenue up, focus on what customers want. They will be more likely to buy if you build product they can use properly. Lots of micromanaging and not enough fluidity to trust individuals to do and excel in their work. Meetings, not focused on fixing the product or creating a plan to action. More talking and less execution on ideas. The vision is still unclear, and I have concerns about the future of this company.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of these reviews, and taking action on making meaningful changes on making this a good work environment that people will be proud to work at because if you don’t more people will leave and it will be of no fault but your own.

"Glass Ceiling"

I worked at CareGuide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The view, vacation policy, customer support, design, engineering, the foundational concept of the company is still one I believe in, autonomy, espresso machine, chairs, benefits and location.

Cons

Company lacks internal resources to deal with managerial problems, particularly those coming from leadership. Compensation is poor compared to industry standard. Senior management lacks interpersonal skills required for the teams under them to succeed. Product is not given enthusiasm, focus or attention. Departments are not equally valued nor resourced. Punitive measures are drastically skewed to favor special relationships over the needs of the rest of the employee base. Constant request for mentorship fell on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as equals. Do not promote dishonesty with social posts of 'next to zero turn-over' when 5 employees have left. It's very hurtful to those who have invested their time into your company only for you to act like we had zero impact. Do not slander employees to other employees, it is shameful behavior. Humble yourself – spend more time trying to improve internal culture rather than impressing outward tech community-based on an exaggerated truth. Oh, and it is possible to have A-players who don't operate as bullies with elbows-out.

"High performance startup with stellar culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at CareGuide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Diverse team full of ultra sharp engineers and high performers across the board creating a cohesive culture with a passion to perform

* Very strong business performance allowing the company to dedicate significant resources behind various initiatives (product, engineering, marketing, growth)

* Senior management's active focus on career growth and development within and outside of CareGuide

Cons

* Performance driven culture can sometimes result in a high pressure environment -- but hey, its a startup!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Call me McDonald's cause I'm lovin' it"

I have been working at CareGuide full-time

Pros

Everyone is very friendly. There is a great culture, and the work is challenging. There is flex hours, everyone works according to a schedule they are most comfortable with. Few people are also working remotely.

Cons

There is a lot of ownership to one's own work. If you not are person that can set targets for yourself and work independently, you won't do well.

"Customer Success Specialist"

Pros

People are great and positive! Culture is relaxed and engaging and the location is convenient, with so many great restaurants nearby. The interview process is very smooth with fast updates and people make you feel very welcomed here.

Cons

I can't think of any cons of working here.

"No better place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at CareGuide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking to grow your career and work with brilliant people, CareGuide is the place to do it. Each person on the team is intelligent and fun to be around. The company is ambitious, but patient; something you don't often see in other tech start ups. I know it's a cliché to say, but I look forward to Mondays.

Cons

Elevators are slow and seemingly sentient. The singularity is here and manifested in the elevators at 119 Spadina Ave.

Advice to Management

They grant employees autonomy and creative expression. Keep doing that.