CareerPlug Reviews | Glassdoor

CareerPlug Reviews

Updated Nov 11, 2019

4.4
CareerPlug President Clint Smith (no image)
Clint Smith
  1. "Solid Engineering Team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at CareerPlug full-time for less than a year

Pros

We are a growing startup. Around a third of the engineering team was hired after I was last year. I think the company does a good job selecting for people that are both smart and down to earth. It is a joy to work with people who are continually striving to improve themselves and willing to collaborate. Everyone at the company from the CEO to the Product Manager to the Engineering Team Lead is very approachable... and leads by example. This is a terrific place to work and I would recommend it to any engineer looking for a new company. The company is growing, yet still small enough that everyone has a say in the product and how the engineering team is run.

Cons

I would say one downside is that the team is growing and the current procedures from code reviews to meeting cadences will need to evolve with the team.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company by finding the right people, taking care of them, and having them feel connected to the success of the company! I think you're doing a good job Clint! He is the head honcho. :-)

CareerPlug2019-11-12
  2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Client Success

I have been working at CareerPlug full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks, small office setting, company lunches and happy hours, flexible schedule, unlimited PTO

Cons

management is very secretive and communications get dropped among departments

Advice to Management

Be more open and honest. Don't wait until a problem becomes a big deal to address it.

CareerPlug2019-09-13

"Amazing place to work in great location in Austin, TX!"

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at CareerPlug full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited snacks and drinks. Flexible working hours and ability to work from home. Great location in Austin. Employer sponsored medical insurance and unlimited vacation (they make you take a two week minimum)! Really amazing and friendly people work here; I felt right at home on Day 1 -- even the president of the company came to my desk to introduce himself! Company social events and volunteer time-off.

Cons

Smaller company (~50 people) so the benefits are not as robust as you'd find at a larger company in Austin. PC computers.

CareerPlug2019-04-10

"Good career start, but no room for growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at CareerPlug full-time for more than a year

Pros

CareerPlug offers great benefits such as unlimited PTO, employer paid health insurance, and 401k match. There are amazing people who work at CareerPlug, and I looked forward to working with my coworkers everyday. There's also free snacks and free lunches frequently. When my position/team was dissolved, higher management was very supportive and offered assistance in several ways which isn’t always the case in these... situations. Overall company culture is fun, driven, and laidback yet hardworking.

Cons

The quote "people quit their management, not their companies" applied to my experience at CareerPlug. CareerPlug overall is a great and hardworking company that I enjoyed contributing to, but there were issues with management that was detrimental to my work experience and environment. For the majority of my employment, I did not receive professional development or genuine support/check-ins from direct management.... Even after bringing my concerns and painpoints were escalated, it was never directly addressed or appropriately handled. I have never had a job drive me to the point of tears until I worked here. The morale on my team severely dropped which was acknowledged, but also never appropriately handled. Another con was lack of growth in terms of position and salary - despite positive performance reviews, I never received a pay raise during my 2 years there and there was no room for promotion.

Advice to Management

When handling employee relation issues, focus on leading with more accountability, neutral stance, and integrity. Address employee issues head on when they are first noticed and reported rather than sweeping it under the rug to avoid it bubbling into a larger situation. This drove myself, and my team, to feeling voiceless and no longer valued.

CareerPlug2019-01-09

"Bootstrapped Austin company does right by employees"

I have been working at CareerPlug full-time

Pros

- growing business, but growing in a stable, sustainable way. - everyone is approachable, including leadership. - very deliberate about helping you attain your career and personal goals. - relaxed office. Low stress place where people are expected to have a life outside of work.

Cons

- location is a little way from downtown (but managers understand if you need to leave early to avoid traffic). - used to be able to bring dogs to work, but the new office doesn’t allow dogs.

CareerPlug2018-12-16

"Wouldn’t recommend"

I worked at CareerPlug

Pros

Free snacks, employer paid insurance, and great people!

Cons

Salary is extremely low considering how expensive the cost of living is in Austin, and raises are non existent. The stress and workload is unbearable. I never had a job where I would leave the office just to cry in my car. Management refuses to listen to employees concerns, which resulted in high turnover. The software is unintuitive and extremely difficult for most clients to understand. People with client... facing jobs have it extremely hard, as they get yelled at for things which are out of their control. Some clients have multiple one on one trainings, but are still unable to utilize the product correctly. With this being said, there is one UX designer on the product team who’s amazing, so hopefully things will get better soon!

Advice to Management

Don’t make your employees believe there’s room to grow within the company when there isn’t.

CareerPlug2019-01-23
  7. "Great opportunity for growth, supportive environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at CareerPlug part-time for more than a year

Pros

I started as an intern and have moved up to part-time, there has been so much opportunity to grow and learn. I've been able to work with teams outside my own, and take on more responsibility.

Cons

You need to take initiative if you want to move around, ask for more opportunities, show that you are interested. The pay was low for my intern year, but is better now.

Advice to Management

It took a while to really be recognized for my efforts, but I so appreciate all the support as I've grown.

CareerPlug2018-09-20

"Great leader, great product, refreshing team atmosphere!"

I have been working at CareerPlug full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coming from another 10-year old company of the same size, this has been a fresh breath of air on many fronts. Their hiring process alone was standout, creative, professional and extremely through. As though leaders in the world of hiring, they are walking the walk! From the President of the company down, this team is comprised of high quality humans who work hard and care deeply and equally about their employees,... their product and the success of their clients. Every company has growing pain points, but this team is now at a really impressive point of scalability and growth. Humility and intelligence come from the top, while everyone gets a voice and has input into decisions. There is deep trust in leadership and an understanding that we all work together and win together while serving our clients with the best we can offer. The sheer longevity of employees in this company tells the story. This is a great place to grow yourself professionally and dig your roots into a solid team for the next chunk of your career path.

Cons

There are a few gaps in non-industry related expertise that have been identified as we scale, but leadership is very open to solving those immediately and bringing in the talent and/or resources to close those gaps and ensure we are serving our clients well from a solid place of internal infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Keep leading with the posture you do and continue being hungry for constant improvement. You guys have so much to offer the talent pool of Austin as an employer and I believe that you will continue to thrive with the solid foundation you've built over the last decade. I'm happy to succeed alongside you all.

CareerPlug2017-07-31
  9. "A place for smart, motivated, good-humored people"

I have been working at CareerPlug full-time

Pros

I have worked in in a variety of companies – large corporations and small startups – and CareerPlug has been the best fit so far. Your input is valued and your hard work is appreciated and acknowledged. The right balance of work hard, play hard. You are encouraged to affect change and contribute to company innovation. No idea is too small. Great people who make sure you feel plugged in.

Cons

Definitely still a startup, so some processes are still being ironed out

CareerPlug2017-03-09
  10. "Nice Company Culture"

I have been working at CareerPlug

Pros

Positive and accommodating work environment.

Cons

Somewhat limited growth opportunities.

CareerPlug2016-12-11