Cartesian Reviews

3.7
Cartesian CEO Jim Serafin
Jim Serafin
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Effort by leadership to ensure healthy work-life balance (for strategy consulting standards)(in 5 reviews)

• "small teams, great flexibility, minimum traveling, interesting projects(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lack of appreciation for junior staff by senior leadership(in 4 reviews)

• "Long hours, when commuting time is included(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great team and projects, exciting growth opportunities

Oct 14, 2020 - Senior Business Analyst in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, hardworking, and fun group of consultants in the Boston strategy office. Lots of exciting projects in relevant and trending industries. Work-life balance for junior analysts is strongly emphasized and important to management. It's a great place to start your career, as there are many different opportunities to grow professionally.

Cons

Management has not been as transparent in the past, but has definitely improved in the last year. Work can be challenging and late nights do happen occasionally as we are committed to a high standard for client deliverables.

2. 4.0

Fantastic Place to Start or Accelerate a Career

Oct 14, 2020 - Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Cartesian as an analyst out of college and saw it grow and change in many positive ways over 5 years, in part due to the well formed criticisms and the passion of the Cartesian family to continuously improve itself. I've since gone on to work at a larger consulting firm, which has given me an appreciation for many of the things that Cartesian has gotten right: - They hire well rounded and enthusiastic people that foster a positive atmosphere - They trust their employees and create a safe space for fast-paced learning and failing while still striving toward a standard of excellence - They grant outsized client-facing responsibility to entry-level roles - They promote talent quickly and have a tangible rubric for professional development across hard/soft skill criteria - They develop great client relationships and have a solid business model - They treat every project like it's their most important, and foster a culture of continuous brainstorming, iterating, and reinventing in their problem solving - Overall, they maintain above average work-life balance for professional services

Cons

I wouldn't trade my time with the firm for anything, but there are a number of dynamics I observed that I wish we had done a better job of addressing while I was there: - We had no upward feedback or way for consultant+ leaders to identify and address their blind spots, which is critical when your business model is contingent on developing talent and promoting from within - Staffing decisions were made largely out of convenience and rarely prioritized development priorities / variety of experience for the analysts/consultants - There were only a few managers and mentors to learn from (albeit high quality) - There was a culture of apprehension toward challenging the status quo and speaking up among more junior employees, which senior leadership could have done a better job of addressing - Company growth vision was poorly communicated and at times inconsistent - Career trajectories and opportunities were ambiguous beyond Manager level - We did not have any programs or make concerted efforts to help employees self educate, communicate, or contribute to wider societal issues (e.g., sustainability and carbon footprint, diversity and inclusion, gender inequality) - Company outing events were few/far between - Budget for perks/office social events was low and often self-funded by a handful of employees - Senior leadership had a difficult time making and following through on commitments to the rest of the company (e.g., bonus payments)

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting opportunities, great people

Oct 9, 2020 - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cartesian employees engage with clients on a wide variety of exciting and relevant challenges. My mentors and coworkers have fostered a welcoming environment in which I can push myself to learn new skills and tools for analyzing complicated datasets and problems. Even through the pandemic, Cartesian organizes online events so that I have a space to socialize with my coworkers. However, my favorite thing about Cartesian is the foundation of teamwork and collaboration that permeates all aspects of day-to-day work - my coworkers and I are given ample opportunities to share and present our work and new tools we've learned with the company outside of our teams. This promotes my own growth as an analyst and problem solver, and also widens my professional network, opening doors to start conversations inside the company when I am interesting in asking questions one-on-one with someone who has experience with a skill or tool I am looking to learn.

Cons

Sometimes there are hard burns - a handful of consecutive days pushing past 8PM to get the perfect deliverable out to a client - those days are hard, but managers always keep an eye out for those times and make sure their team members aren't staffed in an unsustainable way

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to start your career

Oct 8, 2020 - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'm so glad that I chose to start out my career at Cartesian. The Boston strategy group is relatively small, which allows for dedicated focus on each member of the team. You'll be exposed to a variety of projects and clients, and there is often flexibility for analysts to focus on an area of interest, such as analytics or due diligence projects, as time goes on. Leadership is genuinely interested in the professional growth of analysts and consultants. In my time at Cartesian, I regularly received constructive feedback and was given several opportunities to work on certain deliverables or projects to challenge myself for the sake of my professional development. And most importantly, the group is tight-knit and fun. My coworkers and I often stayed late after our work was finished to hang out, and we enjoy spending time together outside of work as well. The Cartesian network has been extremely valuable to me in the time since I've left.

Cons

The strategy group is a unique, small portion of the larger company - it can feel siloed/like a separate company at times.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Favoritism, lack of women in leadership, long hours

Nov 9, 2020 - Student in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The younger BAs were great

Cons

There was a lot of favoritism. Long hours, not much reward. There were few (if any) women in leadership.

6. 2.0

Severe Management Changes Needed

Aug 22, 2019 - Systems Administrator in Overland Park, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

They pay on time. WFH is possible sometimes if you're lucky.

Cons

Horrible management, No clear business vision. Worst benefits I've ever seen. Rude, pretentious leaders who think way too highly of themselves for a company who is the smallest fish around. At times, unethical, and borderline discriminatory.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0

Mismanaged

Jul 29, 2019 - Senior Business Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people that work with you

Cons

The management's general lack of competence

8. 3.0

no direction

Jul 23, 2019 - N/A in Elizabeth, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

smart people who are dedicated and take pride in their work

Cons

no strategy, no direction, and leadership needs an overhaul

9. 4.0

Excellent place to work

Mar 27, 2019 - Senior Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

kept me on contract for more than 11 years

Cons

portfolio could be a l little more diverse

10. 5.0

Great Place To Work...But Markets Change

Jun 12, 2018 - Consultant of Stuff in Overland Park, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

While I was there, management gave me an open door to opportunity. Work was challenging. Great peers to learn from and build skill sets. Management was very understanding of personal life/work balance. Recognized staff for extra effort and sacrifices made. Close knit teams that could easily collaborate..even when dealing with time difference with the London office. I am even employing methods we used at Cartesian in my new position. Cartesian gave me a chance. They gave me room to run with things and build my skill sets. They have an incredibly smart staff. And upper management was always interested in the staff. Great technology company. Maybe not always cutting edge. But, cutting edge isn't always a good plan. But, they do embrace solid and proven technologies and solutions.

Cons

The market of telecom changed. Maybe the sales force was not able to keep up with the fast changes. And some of the clients consolidated or went through significant cost cutting. So, projects got back burnered. Maybe the product offering could be better. Telecom is tough now.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 64 English Reviews