Cedaron Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Karen Bond

1. "Great company with unlimited opportunities"

Pros

Cedaron is a great company to work for with many career advancement opportunities. Success here is really up to the employee; hard work is handsomely rewarded regardless of position or length of employment. Management is always available for any questions or guidance and they understand the importance of the work/life balance. The location is fantastic along with the newly renovated building which boasts large windows, a state of the art kitchen, and employee locker rooms.

Cons

It is hard to get to know employees in different departments.

Advice to Management

More office activities would boost the environment and employee relations.

"Good Company with a friendly work environment"

I have been working at Cedaron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a current employee at Cedaron and have been for a few years. I really like the small company environment and open work space. I really like the location in Davis and we recently moved into a very nice building that was fully renovated by the owners.

CEO is in the office a lot and you can always go to her with any questions or issues you might have. She expects a lot of herself and is the same to the employees. If you can meet her expectations you will have a good relationship.

Management works well together and is willing to listen to any and all opinions. With a new COO things have been more organized and relieved a lot of the day to day responsibilities of the CEO. This should pay off in the long run so that the CEO can focus more on the selling and improving the product.

Being healthy is promoted and you can earn rewards for exercising with fellow employees. This also helps to build better relationships and a better working environment.

As others have said the break room is really nice but only a small factor in the overall ratings.

Cons

There has been a high amount of new employee turnover. With a lot of turnover employees that remain need to take on the burden of those leaving.

There are always a lot of daily items that need to be taken care of and it makes long term goals hard to achieve.

From time to time there can be a breakdown in communication between employees and management.

Advice to Management

Make it an emphasis to keep good employees instead of replacing them. Keep recognizing good employees when they go above and beyond.

More company team building exercises. It really helps to interact with other employees outside of the work environment.

Bring in more outside resources to train employees on new skills in all departments. Not a 1-2 hour meeting but a 4-5 part training that is really in depth.

"Innovating and Friendly Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Pros

I had a great experiance with Cedaron. I came to Davis from Silicon Valley where many companies seemed to have a revolving door approach to there employees and many companies only saw you as a number instead of a employee.

Cedaron is not that way... Cedaron saw me as a family member. It was a Very comfortable place.

I have to say, when your happy you dont usually write reviews, So this is new to me... But I see reviews on here from others that talk about people leaving and other negative remarks.... But my experiance is that I noticed Karen ( the CEO) is down to earth and is very interested in her employees lives. I have seen her very flexible and very understanding .
    I also know if your NOT ambitious or engaged or just want too skate by.... she sees no value in you. So of course i am thinking the angry or bad reviews you see on here are most likely those people.

Anyway, The leadership I noticed is always present and personable.
    I also saw great ideas were always always considered and the people were given the opportunity to shine. The team members I worked with were driven and very professional.

I cant tell you how many times I saw people getting promoted to higher positions and salaries.

Oh yeah, last of all... There lunch room is so stocked with food and healthy choices... its like no other break room I have seen at any fortune 500 company I worked for in Silicon Valley. That alone is +100 points for me...

Cons

My con comments are that I noticed that there is so many highly educated and talented people I think the company needs to work on new marketing and innovative ideas with a new progressive look to enhance its customer outreach. Very easy fixes with the right people.

Advice to Management

My advice is have more BBQ's, have more off site family events, and have a "Bring your pet to work day" ( I always wanted to work at a place that has that )

5. "Small Family Friendly Company with Promising Financial Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I have been working at Cedaron (More than a year)

Pros

I feel so fortunate to be working at Cedaron. The staff of 30 are friendly and collaborative. Management is very accessible and open to recommendations. Our software sales continue to increase and the company is positioned well for additional growth with several recently released applications. In this challenging economic environment, it is reassuring to work for a financially strong company with auspicious business
    prospects.

Cons

I live in suburban Sacramento, and sometimes the commute can be tedious at times with ongoing I-80 construction and traffic accidents.

Advice to Management

Communicate and celebrate the company's successes more often with the employees. Recognize employees who consistently go and above and beyond their job responsibilities.

"I am happy working here..."

I have been working at Cedaron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am a current employee and have worked here a while. I have seen that management is very rewarding to those who work hard and meet goals. Hard work and a job well done will be recognized and rewarded. I would say it is extremely fair working here; you will get out what you put in.

Working for a smaller company: I love working for a company that is not too big. This allows employees to wear different "hats" in their jobs. This keeps me immersed and engaged as I am not bored doing the same thing all-day every-day.

-Great benefits and different plans are offered which can be hard to find

Cons

The cons I would say are for those who do not deliver and for those who have the "big company syndrome". I am sure everyone has experience in one job or another asking themselves, "how did this person get hired?" Or, "how has that employee gotten this far?" Well that is not how it is here and I am glad! As hard work and delivering are acknowledged, poor attitudes and not delivering will also be acknowledged. If you are a person who wants a very easy job where you can slack or hide behind a whole department as one can do in a “bigger” company, this is not the place for you.

"5 star reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Pros

Moving up is quick if you put your mind to it, at which point salary is more negotiable. The employees are easy to get along with.

Cons

As another reviewer noted that things are all smiles and laughs when the CEO sees value in you. Unfortunately, the honeymoon period lasts around 6 months on average, which is around the same amount of time you will see a completely new set of employees who are oblivious to the sham. Your value will be nil when you notice the CEOs constant lies, or the moment you say no for any reason: e.g. telling them it can't be done by their expected due date because they changed requirements 10 times.

If you need a job in the short term or are just starting your career, Cedaron can work. But be wary of these 5 star comments. I suspect they are not completely genuine, but rather "encouraged". If you decide to work there, I guarantee you will discover the truth if you work there beyond the honeymoon period.

Advice to Management

Change management. Sell the company.

"Good Company-"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I have been working at Cedaron full-time

Pros

Direct communication with owners, small owned company, no large corporate BS/politics, good work like balance. Most of the time I don't have to take work home with me. People are friendly. Nice location, easy to get to, espresso machine. You are encouraged to be active and lead a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

Potential market saturation. Value proposition potentially decreasing as larger companies get into the same market space. Limited marketing execution in the past, few customers have heard of the company. Leads not provided, but have to be generated via cold calling.

Advice to Management

More marketing and software features needed to keep position in marketplace. Pay good employees well/competitively to keep them from looking elsewhere. Provide high quality leads to help generate sales.

"High turnover says it all"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA

I have been working at Cedaron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- HUGE industry potential
    - Awesome customers
    - Kitchen with healthy snacks and drinks

Cons

- Cedaron has extremely high turnover with their employees (about a 90% turnover rate). Talent is coming in the door, but you can see the talented run for the hills after a few months.

- Although there are "Directors of...," or "Managers of...," mid-level managers have no authority, absolutely none. ALL decisions are ultimately made by the CEO and leads to frustratingly high micro-management in all levels of your work, and I do mean ALL decisions. No decision is too small!

- Management refuses to implement changes and isn't planning for the future of the industry. Since it is a small company, you are easily able to voice your educated suggestion, but they are quickly met with a "NO." Management will assign their ideas and won't accept any input from those who are educated in the field. When their ideas fail, your are reprimanded and scolded. The executives of the company think they are Google, but it's the opposite.

- Within the office, there are huge conflicts of interests and how internal and external business is conducted. There are many "cliques" and the staff as a whole is not on the same page.

- There is no true HR department. Most corporations have a HR department that is setup separately from the rest of the company to avoid conflicts of interest in HR matters. However, the CEO oversees the HR department....................

- Employees that put up with working here for more than six months, are bombarded and overworked. There is no appreciation of the employees they do have.

The previous negative reviews below are 100% accurate, trust the employees that have tried and tested.

Advice to Management

Either act like a big corporation, or act like a small family run business. You can't be both. Retire and sell the company.

"management"

Pros

Great industry, Decent products, Talented Employees

Cons

Too many to List. Management wants you to be accountable for their decisions and explain why things aren't getting better when they refuse to change anything. Any suggestion is squashed and berated no matter how valid. No trust in employees. Hires good people but does not allow them to do the job.

Advice to Management

Retire.

"North Korea is to the U.S. as Cedaron is to..."

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Davis, CA

I worked at Cedaron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The break room is usually stocked with drinks, snacks, a great coffee machine, and the occasional bucket of ice cream.
    - Engineering, Implementation, and Customer Support have some of the hardest working individuals you'll meet.
    - There are outings maybe a couple times a year.
    - The products have great potential.
    - If you work the system right, you can get bonuses for unremarkable achievements. Think of it as a retainer for your knowledge- the benefit of so few people doing so many jobs.
    - The customers are wonderful to work with

Cons

- Not a family-friendly employer.
    - Salaried employees get hours deducted like hourly employees.
    - Immature level of micromanagement, resulting in poor planning and decision-making.
    - Always hiring, but headcount stays the same (I've personally witnessed multiple systemic reboots).
    - Impulsive/reactive leadership.
    - Political oppression derived from favoritism or egotism in leadership.
    - As a result of all of the above, workload exponentially increases until burnout.
    - After 3 years of working 12-16 hrs/day, doing 3 jobs to pick up slack because of the turnover, and being reprimanded for not being able to perform all of them at a level equivalent to 3 distinct employees, I left the company. What saddens me is the effect this Cedaron "norm" has on those precious customers.

Advice to Management

- Make competitive offers to potential candidates, rather than try to hire as cheaply as possible, which leads to employee dissatisfaction when they become over-utilized.
    - Likewise, be candid with what the work expectations are.

*** Do not mislead potential or current employees by using employment as collateral in order to obtain a signed non-compete agreement. Non-compete agreements are not legally-binding in the State of California ***