CipherCloud Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pravin Kothari

Pros
  • Excellent opportunity to build the Cloud Security industry and a great company (in 11 reviews)

• Great work/life balance with plenty of onsite amenities (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "Interesting product - company needs improvement"

I worked at CipherCloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent people, interesting and promising product, room for growth, compensation wasn't bad

Cons

Issues with the product, processes were slow moving, executive politics (I got stuck in the middle of execs taking credit for sales)

Advice to Management

Give more genuine transparency, need executives to work as a team

"Good people...no direction"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at CipherCloud full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice, and the San Jose office is a great building in a great location.

Cons

The company can't commit to a direction, and take the pain of paying down technical debt.

Advice to Management

Have a long term plan that you stick to, instead of thrashing about continually.

3. "Staff Accountant"

I worked at CipherCloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of freedom. Your work matters. Understanding managers

Cons

A lot of churn. When I was there, there was 2 people a week joining. It was crazy and a ton of people leaving. It's a shell of what it used to be.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Sr Principal Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at CipherCloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- New technology
    - Cloud Security

Cons

Management can be better
    Product management is not focussed

May 23, 2016 – HR

Thanks for taking time to write the review. We appreciate it. We are happy that you like the technology, the domain in which we work. Our focus and vision of the products has remained the same ... More

"GREAT!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at CipherCloud (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture! Great work.
    Surely would recommend others.

Cons

Not a big company.. so needs to hire more employees

Apr 4, 2016 – Sr. Director, Legal

Thanks for taking time and writing the feedback. It would help us if you can be specific on what you like in culture and work it will help us in retaining / improving them. Thanks once again for your ... More

"Who's driving this thing anyway?"

I worked at CipherCloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great view from the HQ office and they do a pretty good job with creating a positive culture overall.

Cons

While it may not seem as if anyone is at the helm their heart is in the right place. Unfortunate turn out.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing the good people out and you may want to put some ice on that black eye you have in the market.

Apr 24, 2016 – HR

Thanks for sharing your feedback on CipherCloud. We appreciate your comments on our positive culture, but also take your concerns seriously. Our employees are key to our success and we will do ... More

"Great Space. Great Technology. Needs Better Leadership."

Current Employee - Support Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at CipherCloud (Less than a year)

Pros

Leader in the space. Only CASB company really making any meaningful money. Great install base with a large number of loyal customers in the financial and healthcare space. Stellar leadership and team in Services, Support and Product Management.

Cons

Lack of execution discipline. Too many projects which engineering is unable to get their arms around. Culture of mistrust. Even at this stage promises are made on features that have no resourcing or plans with them.

Advice to Management

Focus on go to market execution and the top line. As a startup focus on spending for mindshare and not be fixated on the bottom line to the extent you are. CEO should stop micro managing activities of individual contributors and instead hold top management accountable on goals. Streamline HR policies and act like a mature product company.

9. "Cloud start-up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at CipherCloud (More than a year)

Pros

This is the first company where nearly everyone is a nice person. It feels like one giant family. Wonderful people to work with.

Cons

There are same issues as in any start-up company. Luck of robust organization and chaotic managerial process. In a sense it reminds a swarmed beehive. People are leaving and coming all the time. If you not used to it, it maybe uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Get on with the procedures and policies. Get it organized! It's a great company - keep improving it!

"In recovery and regrowth mode"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at CipherCloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some truly great minds at CipherCloud. In my part of the organization, I was lucky to work with very patient and very creative leaders as well as incredibly dedicated and smart teammates. The leadership is laser focused on recovering from mistakes of the past. If you focus not on what was and rather on what can be, you'll find this is a pretty good place to work.

What makes it good?

Not sure about others experience, but compensation is strong and benefits are good. There are exceptions like sales roles, but even there, they're trying to figure out a way for commissioned employees to earn their OTE.

Good work/life balance if you set expectations right. They generally let you come and go so long as you manage your time and get your work done.

There are a lot of changes coming, and so long as you understand the situation you are joining, there's plenty of upside ahead if you believe in the objectives of CipherCloud.

This is not an excuse, but the competition is hitting the same wall that CipherCloud did last year. This is a hard problem to solve, and while CipherCloud hit the skids first with product problems, they should also be the first to solve them and solidify their place in the market.

Cons

There is a lot of negative feedback on glassdoor, and as a snapshot in time, it's all entirely warranted. The company made decisions in 2013-2014 which inflicted tremendous amounts of pain which are being felt now.

And, at the end of the day, it is still a startup and the size of the market opportunity is creating a lot of competition. Anyone reading this should be aware of the downsides:

Turning around the ship could take a long time. They are expecting the same people who engineered a poor product to produce different results a second time around.

The workplace culture is a work in progress. While this change will happen organically and over time, the fact remains there's a lot of middle and director level management who behave as though CipherCloud is IBM and have no business at a startup.

For the time being, the company is extremely frugal. Since they do not appear to have the capability or appetite to raise more VC funding, you'll see this manifest in the lack of investment in employee satisfaction or internal activities.

The primary cloud protection product is not mature. Everyone will have to accept the ups and downs of working with customers for a while until the vision is realized in the product. That means a bit of unpredictability regardless of whether you're in sales, engineering, product or services.

This leads to the score I give CipherCloud today. If there is movement in the right direction, this would be a 4 or 5 star company. Likewise if they stumble and don't implement the necessary changes, they could end up more deserving of 1 or 2 stars.

Advice to Management

Streamline the organization even more, there are far too many politicians at the director/VP/SVP level who are holding the company back. Be more transparent in communications to employees. Hire more A-grade engineers at HQ.

11. "Technical Consultant"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at CipherCloud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely exciting space to be a part of.
    Vibrant team
    Great use of open source technology
    Friday company sponsored lunches, snacks, fruits

Cons

Lack of processes
    A little too much politics for a small organization
    Lacking in product vision and roadmap maturity

Advice to Management

This organization needs to be refocused with better eyes on engineering and QA processes.
    Flatten structure by eliminating unnecessary and artificial hierarchies.