Citrin Cooperman Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joel Cooperman

Pros
  • The partners and senior management have an open door policy and are incredibly approachable and always willing to help where they can (in 8 reviews)

• A collaborative work environment - people are friendly and helpful (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Something to consider for the industry as a whole: You'll spend a lot of time in the office during busy season (in 8 reviews)

• This IS a public accounting firm (in 3 reviews)

1. "Citrin Cooperman White Plains"

Current Employee - Supervisor in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The primary "Pro" is that we actually like each other here. With the White Plains office you get the smaller office feel with the advantages of working for a fast growing regional firm. As an office, we are able to interact outside of work which definitely boosts morale. We socialize outside the office even when it's NOT a firm sponsored event, which says a lot. But we also have fun through many different firm sponsored events like the Corporate Fun Run 5k, Happy Hours, The Soft Ball, Bowling Tournament , Birthdays of the Month Celebrations, Holiday parties, End of Busy season parties, and many other events. We do work hard...this is Public Accounting after all. But there is a nice balance of work and play which helps minimize the stress of Public Accounting.
    Since the firm is growing so rapidly there are always new opportunities in practically every industry. The Westchester County area is a great market to work in. However we are also able to work with teams in other offices, in different cities which creates many more opportunities to explore any of the 24 service lines the firm offers.
    The firm as a whole has a sincere focus on the professional development of the staff which is proven by the amount of time and money they invest in our technical training and soft skill training. We are encouraged and supported in our involvement with professional organizations and networking groups.
    Finally, as I mentioned we do work hard, but our hard work is recognized. Whether its tickets to a sporting event, a free dinner, a cash award, or just a simple email of appreciation, our partners are great at acknowledging the work of the staff. As staff you feel like the work you do is important to the overall success of the firm, and that the partners are aware of the value of your work. There is a formal review process that happens twice a year, but it is nice to receive feedback on an informal basis.

Cons

The downsides of working here are the same as the downsides of working for any Public Accounting firm. Some things you just can not escape as long as you are working in Public Accounting, regardless of what firm you work for.
    Time entry is probably the most important factor in making sure the firm is profitable - yet everyone hates to do it. And we do get constant reminders and sometimes warnings about time entry.
    Also, typical of any Public Accounting firm, you work with different partners and reviewers who all have a different work preferences. It can be difficult to manage the varying expectations when you do work for so many different personalities. It can take some time to learn each person's preferences and you find yourself constantly adjusting. Once you build a work history with someone things runs smoother, but the time in between can be frustrating. Although the firm tries to institute uniform policies and procedures, the saying is true that old habits die hard. And of course when deadlines are approaching, everyone's work is a priority.

Advice to Management

None really...I think "Management" does good job at soliciting feedback from staff and attempts to make adjustments that make sense for the firm as a whole.

If I had to give any advice I would say to consider paying for the state CPA society fees.

2. "Citrin Cooperman"

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman full-time

Pros

Citrin Cooperman is a wonderful place to work. It provides so much opportunity due to the variety of business it services. There is always potential to move up as the senior staff is committed to teaching and training those newer to the industry. The company is filled with great people which makes working here all the more enjoyable. Everyone helps each other and the teamwork ethic is very strong- between teams as well as departments. I've been working here for 2 years now and have had a fantastic experience.

Cons

There aren't many downsides to working here at Citrin Cooperman. Public Accounting as an industry can be very demanding, however that is certainly no reflection on the firm.

Advice to Management

None - I think Management does a great job of making themselves available to the staff and truly care about the working environment of their employees.

3. "Current Employee Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, they are very good at monitoring your workload to make sure you are not overwhelmed. Flextime is offered and used by many people including myself to assist in balancing work & home life.

Cons

Promotions can be selective and not always based on achievements.

5. "Administration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers
    Open dialogue with partners/ceo

Cons

Growth only in professional accounting areas
    Increased workload without increased pay

Advice to Management

Development opportunities for growth with the administrative staff

"Director"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman (Less than a year)

Pros

positive people, great management, visible path for career growth, technical departments as sounding boards, uses the latest technology, excellent balance of minorities, age groups and female to male ratio

Cons

Practices and procedures could be more streamlined throughout the offices, standard community efforts

Advice to Management

Fantastic Management team. The firm always keeps the big picture in mind and tries to do what's best for all involved.

7. "Assistant Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The team and staff are very nice and they took time to teach you the things you need for your job.
    -They offer great training opportunities including classes at lunchtime, webcast training
    -If you speak up about the things you want to try, they will accommodate your needs. Some people have been transferring from audit to tax, from tax to business management team ect.

Cons

-Some of the partners or managers are very strict and can put you under a lot of pressure at work
    -The company is not that famous and only have offices at some cities

"Very disappointing. Very unprofessional."

Former Employee - Tax Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I made some incredible life long friends with some of the staff. After much thought, I can't think of another "Pro" to working here and I surely won't make up something in order to hit the 20 word minimum.

Cons

If you want to work for a company that handles mergers like the game of monopoly, then this is your place. They can't even manage the employees they have, but chances are tomorrow will bring a new merger with 50 extra employees shoved into your space. They will lie and say it will bring more money to the firm, hence it will trickle down to the staff. Not the case. Trust me, It tends to elude the people that deserve it the most. Funny how that happens. They spend more time and "merger" money giving employees bad reviews rather than putting them in a position to succeed. It was a horrible experience having to regularly witness partners talking down to much of the staff. Partners are disrespectful and unchecked. It was not a great environment and not great for morale.

Advice to Management

Promotions were interesting to say the least. They meant nothing to the staff and often times the most undeserving were promoted. Nepotism and
    b-nosing has been single handedly kept alive by Citrin Cooperman.

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Staff Associate in Livingston, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Associate in Livingston, NJ

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is amazing.
    The senior level managers, directors, and partners assist staff level associates with any questions they have.
    The benefits, salary and paid-time-off is better than ALL firms.
    Very prestigious firm to work for.
    Great work environment.

Cons

There are absolutely no cons that I can think of. I am very happy to work for Citrin Cooperman. If you're lucky enough to get a position with this firm, don't deny it.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! If your employees are happy, likewise the clients will be happy = more money for everyone!

"Review"

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman full-time

Pros

Really a great company all around. HQ in NY

Cons

not much to say at all

11. "Very poor environment, very poor leadership."

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time

Pros

There are some very nice people (speaking mainly of the partner/principal level. The staff I worked with were pretty great overall) here who are very knowledgeable and take the time to help you and teach. But...

Cons

There are also many partner/ principals here who I would say are some of the worst people I've ever met. Abusive to staff verbally, outright lie to staff, and will stab you in the back given any opportunity. They also promote people who know nothing and in some cases are incompetent so there's hope for everyone I guess. You can fail your way up.

Advice to Management

Management here should actually listen to the staff and their concerns instead of just repeating the same cliches about how they care so much about the staff. Bad behavior at the director to partner level here not only goes unpunished it is ignored. They get away with behavior that would get you fired if you were at the staff level. Management doesn't do anything so the staff believes they won't help and the management say well if nobody says anything what can we do? They can leave which is what I chose to do and what you will probably do after working here for a year or two if you mistakenly wind up here.