Citrin Cooperman Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Joel Cooperman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The partners are friendly and have an open door policy (in 11 reviews)

• The Company accommodates employees in establishing a work-life balance with opportunities to apply for flex-time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Definitely felt underappreciated even while leaving after a majority of the staff during busy season (in 11 reviews)

• This IS a public accounting firm (in 6 reviews)

"I never thought I would miss public accounting"

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Audit Senior in Providence, RI

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Providence Office:
     - Excellent professional staff, the opportunity to establish professional relationships with all departments and levels of employment.
     - Plenty of opportunities to find your own expertise. I was regularly asked if there were any other industries or areas I would like to try working. If you happen to get lucky and find clients and industries you enjoy early on in your career, you are given the opportunity to continue with those clients and continue to develop professional relationships with specific clients. During my career, this resulted in clients specifically requesting of management that I be assigned to their engagements or special projects.
     - Recognition for your work efforts, and product - I personally preferred working long days and a lot of hours on my engagements. I was continually thanked for my efforts, and commended for my work product. I am not the conventional accountant stereotype, however I was welcomed and afforded the ability to work on clients in industries that interested me, and many opportunities to further my career.
     - Work/Life Balance - Personally, I am an avid sports fan, and management respected my time so when I wanted to attend a sporting event, or coach or play in local leagues, I was free to do so.

Cons

As in any employment where employees work with one another, occasionally personalities do not mesh with one another. The senior management always handled these situations efficiently and professionally. Unfortunately, sometimes people chose to separate themselves from the firm, however patience and effective communication often resolved any issues.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I love my new career, however, I have told friends and family members multiple times how much I cannot believe that I actually miss public accounting. It might seem miserable while you're in the thick of it, especially during tax season, but the professional staff and management within the firm leave a lasting impression and I hope to continue the professional relationships with them in a different capacity.

I recommend the firm to friends and associates looking for new career opportunities very often, both when I was employed, and since I have left.

2. "manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a good place. they try to make the workplace as pleasant as possible . Good training and CPE. The majority of the people are really nice and helpful but there are a few social misfits as would be found in any firm.

Cons

Too much micromanagement .

"Professional, Congenial Workplace Where You Can Grow"

Former Employee - Tax Staff in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Tax Staff in White Plains, NY

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Culture
    - Diversity of work and exposure at entry level
    - Professionalism
    - The people of the tax department.

Cons

At times, it was slightly too warm in the office.

Advice to Management

Continue taking the necessary precautions to preserve the culture that you've built during growth.

"Getting Too Big"

I have been working at Citrin Cooperman full-time

Pros

Benefits, dress policy, bonus pto

Cons

The firm is getting too big and becoming unmanageable. Hr becomes more disconnected because there are too many people to keep track of. The white plains office has lost its family feeling and some of the other offices are becoming like nyc.

Advice to Management

Stop growing as you cant handle it.

"Excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

World class partners & management team who "gets it". My direct reports advice & patience helped propel my CC career.

Cons

Zero, was a positive, once in a lifetime experience

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and support to your staff

6. "manager"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no good reasons

Cons

Too much politics and political correctness; they hire too many Asians and Indians.

Advice to Management

Close your practice

"Nice packaging, but it's what's inside that counts"

Pros

Nice office space.
    If you are a person who wants to be directed, but is not interested in thinking, this would be a great fit for you.
    If you prefer relationship-building to technical development, this might be a good fit for you.

Cons

The description of the role during interview was incredibly inconsistent with the actual work.
    Initiative and creativity are discouraged.
    Bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy is the name of the game.
    There is an air of arrogance and superiority among the majority of firm staff and partners, and ironically expertise is treated with disdain.
    There is no cohesion across practice lines. It's a very disjointed firm.
    This is probably the only position I've had that did not feel at all welcoming or inclusive. In fact, the sheer fact of my newness seemed to be cause for distrust and venomous looks.

Advice to Management

A new hire is a rare opportunity for an outside, honest perspective. Be open to that perspective, and humble yourself in the face of criticism. When facts present themselves, even if they are uncomfortable or inconvenient, it's best to face them and adjust your path. Avoidance will lead to problems sooner or later. Close attention to detail and astute observations should be encouraged and rewarded, not stifled and treated with skepticism. Hire the right person for the right job - review your job descriptions.

"...steer clear of PROVIDENCE office"

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time

Pros

Citrin Cooperman as a whole, is a wonderful firm...top notch leaders that do care and provide an excellent learning environment. However, beware of office locations that were not an original location (i.e. Providence) as these were NOT individuals hired by Citrin but formally a smaller local firm constantly losing top employees and clients that Citrin came in and bought.

Cons

Highly unprofessional. No strong leaders. Management in this office does not care about their employees nor do they provide any strong learning opportunities as management themselves have NO clue as to what they are doing.

"Valet driver"

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time

Pros

None to speak of.

Cons

management needs to be almost completely replaced.

Advice to Management

Fire nick.

"Don’t waste your time here"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Providence, RI

I worked at Citrin Cooperman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start out of college if it’s your only choice. Providence location is nice but expensive parking (can’t really think of any Pros)

Cons

Bad management
    Don’t really care about employees
    I’ve been at audit clients with senior management. I was embarrassed by the superiority complex displayed by the principal on the job...

Advice to Management

Go back to college and take some leadership courses