ClearOne Reviews | Glassdoor

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ClearOne Chairman, President, and CEO Zee Hakimoglu
Zee Hakimoglu

"CEO thinks sales is a "necessary evil""

Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ClearOne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has created some excellent products and I had great co-workers at the lower level. My salary was in line with competitors and benefits were good. Would have loved to stay here except for the CEO.

Cons

Terrible to work for a CEO who has no idea how to run a company, except into the ground. She lies to the stockholders in order to remain as CEO and thinks that the company's salespeople are overpaid, when they are the ones bringing in the actual revenue.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and let her have her golden parachute, then hire someone to run the company who understands that 1) fear is NOT a successful motivation tool, and 2) paying the people who sell your product is not "throwing away money."

"If you don't ever want to see your family again- work here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at ClearOne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of mandatory overtime so your paycheck might be big.

Cons

Dismissive, insulting CEO who lets her dog relieve himself indoors. She insists that people 'roast' eachother at the most inappropriate times. IE- birthday parties, hiring anniversaries. Her behavior bares a striking resemblance to GOB Bluth in Arrested Development.

PLMs that are only concerned with helping themselves. Constantly blaming others for their mistakes.

Constant environment of anger, blame and misery.

Poorly engineered products

Releasing deeply flawed products, just riding coat tails No innovation.

Illegal workplace practices.

Constantly cutting bonuses and benefits and making up for it with terrible office parties

No vision for the company

Little chance for advancement and promised bonuses and raises may fail to materialize

Advice to Management

Take a management class- ANY MANAGEMENT CLASS.
    Listen to all employees, not just people who tell you what you want to hear.
    Don't jerk lower level employees around. They are not slaves.

"Worst Engineering company I have even been at..Bar None!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at ClearOne full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its very hard to find anything good about this company. I am looking for greener pastures as soon as I can, learn from my mistake. A plus is we can work from home a lot, we can come and go as we please during the day. Easy to push projects way past our deadlines without any big penalties. Other then that, nothing good.

Cons

Pay is OK, benefits are really poor, SVP of Eng is belittled by CEO constantly. Will not stand up for his staff but will throw you under the bus in an instant. Managers are a bit better but not much. Teams fight all the time. SW vs FW. Bonuses, raises, and stocks are only for those at the upper level. Seems we are always chasing the competition and pointing fingers at other cubicles. No direction. I am just tired of this place. Seems to be a cash cow for those at the top. Products are terrible.

Advice to Management

The stock holders or the board really needs to look at CEO and other top VP's, there is little to no management skills at the top. They know nothing about leading and blame everyone else for their mistakes as they can do no wrong. Moving products and jobs to China, why?

"Not worth your time, moving everything to consultants, sales dropping, new products stink"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great people, not the CEO or SVP's or PLM's, everyone else is great! They don't have lives outside the company and think everyone else doesn't deserve one either.

Cons

Stopped giving bonus and raises, outsourcing many positions or not hiring to fill people that quit, so you have even more to do. CEO is always telling managers to get their people to work longer and on the weekend.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like people not slaves! And get rid of that dog! Stop yelling and treating people like they know nothing and you know everything.

"Software"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ClearOne (More than a year)

Pros

Great location. Flexible work environment. Great products. Not regimented.

Cons

Not regimented. No structure to your design responsibilities. You can be doing the right things and not know it.

Advice to Management

Take a more classic approach to engineering with requirements, design, design review and testing.

"The single worst work environment I've ever experienced"

I worked at ClearOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The regular non-management try hard, are good people.

Cons

The CEO brings her dog to work and it is allowed to bark and wander the offices freely. It constantly pooped and peed all over the offices. The CEO has the shortest fuse of anyone I have ever met. She will scream at the top of her lungs multiple times a day, and can be heard down the hall even with her door closed. She berates employees, micro-manages in things she shouldn't even be worried about. Upper management is rude and not effective. They also degrade employees, ask for the moon on impossible deadlines, and don't communicate effectively. HR is powerless to do anything, because they are afraid of the CEO and the repercussions.

Advice to Management

The board should replace the CEO and upper management. We were told we were expected to do the job of 3-4 people each to keep the overhead low, and the company profitable. Its' a toxic environment that stifles creativity, innovation, passion, and excitement for the job, I was never happier to quit a job than I was here.

"Most toxic environment ever"

Former Employee - Engineer in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in West Jordan, UT

I worked at ClearOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This has been a great resume builder since I have been doing the job of about 4 people.

Cons

This is the most toxic environment I have ever encountered. The CEO is sure that everyone is stealing intellectual property and that nobody is working. She expects 12 hour days and weekends from salaried employees, while at the same time limited hourly employees to 40 hour work weeks. There are cameras everywhere. She closely monitors the cameras to see if people are working. She has a terrible temper and screams at her employee in such a way that it can be heard throughout the entire floor. She is very demeaning and insulting.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO. Get someone who knows something (anything) about technology. Improve your product. Treat your employees better. The CEO drives all the good people away.

"Horrible work environment. No direction. Treated like trash."

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ClearOne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck as someone else stated other then that nothing. CEO has poor people skills, her dog gets better treatment and respect. Lack of any leadership.

Cons

Poor pay, no benefits, no respect, almost everyone is looking for a new job, once found they run. CEO hides important information needed by management to move the company in a positive direction. Fire the PLM's they lack any type of management skills.

Advice to Management

Board should get rid of CEO and find someone who understands technology rather then stealing the competitors ideas, CEO should lead not disrespect employees.

"It was 2 years of a total degrading grind that was so poor that it was difficult to even learn any lessons."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ClearOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool view of airplanes landing at SLC airport

Cons

The CEO - brought her dog to work everyday
    HR - no support of employees, just catered to CEO
    Culture - Any monkey can do your job

Advice to Management

Board should finally get rid of CEO if they care about moving the company to the next level

"do not do it"

Current Employee - Negotiator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Negotiator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at ClearOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of management if it is a pro

Cons

like the wild west, have people lying and cheating creditors. acting like they are the customer

Advice to Management

buckle up, have goals based off of real settlements, not off of cheating negotiators who lie, cheat, and steal. And management knows it and rewards it