ClearOne Reviews | Glassdoor

Zee Hakimoglu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

I worked at ClearOne full-time

Pros

Great team and work environment

Cons

small office space and sometimes it is difficult to work that close together

"CEO thinks sales is a "necessary evil""

Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ClearOne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has created some excellent products and I had great co-workers at the lower level. My salary was in line with competitors and benefits were good. Would have loved to stay here except for the CEO.

Cons

Terrible to work for a CEO who has no idea how to run a company, except into the ground. She lies to the stockholders in order to remain as CEO and thinks that the company's salespeople are overpaid, when they are the ones bringing in the actual revenue.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and let her have her golden parachute, then hire someone to run the company who understands that 1) fear is NOT a successful motivation tool, and 2) paying the people who sell your product is not "throwing away money."

"If you don't ever want to see your family again- work here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at ClearOne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of mandatory overtime so your paycheck might be big.

Cons

Dismissive, insulting CEO who lets her dog relieve himself indoors. She insists that people 'roast' eachother at the most inappropriate times. IE- birthday parties, hiring anniversaries. Her behavior bares a striking resemblance to GOB Bluth in Arrested Development.

PLMs that are only concerned with helping themselves. Constantly blaming others for their mistakes.

Constant environment of anger, blame and misery.

Poorly engineered products

Releasing deeply flawed products, just riding coat tails No innovation.

Illegal workplace practices.

Constantly cutting bonuses and benefits and making up for it with terrible office parties

No vision for the company

Little chance for advancement and promised bonuses and raises may fail to materialize

Advice to Management

Take a management class- ANY MANAGEMENT CLASS.
    Listen to all employees, not just people who tell you what you want to hear.
    Don't jerk lower level employees around. They are not slaves.

"Not well managed"

I worked at ClearOne full-time

Pros

Middle Management down a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Extremely poor communication at the Executive Management Level. Unrealistic goals, no actual analysis or understanding of the resources required to complete the goals established. Inefficient activities performed with no actual value in order to receive High Level Executive approval. I believe the military acronym is CF

Advice to Management

Try actually listening

"Worst Engineering company I have even been at..Bar None!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at ClearOne full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Its very hard to find anything good about this company. I am looking for greener pastures as soon as I can, learn from my mistake. A plus is we can work from home a lot, we can come and go as we please during the day. Easy to push projects way past our deadlines without any big penalties. Other then that, nothing good.

Cons

Pay is OK, benefits are really poor, SVP of Eng is belittled by CEO constantly. Will not stand up for his staff but will throw you under the bus in an instant. Managers are a bit better but not much. Teams fight all the time. SW vs FW. Bonuses, raises, and stocks are only for those at the upper level. Seems we are always chasing the competition and pointing fingers at other cubicles. No direction. I am just tired of this place. Seems to be a cash cow for those at the top. Products are terrible.

Advice to Management

The stock holders or the board really needs to look at CEO and other top VP's, there is little to no management skills at the top. They know nothing about leading and blame everyone else for their mistakes as they can do no wrong. Moving products and jobs to China, why?

"Company lacks leadership"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

Pros

Good team of Field sales people to work with

Cons

Let us do our jobs, Mis managed by president and her leadership team, Tech support in USa is not fully capable of handling problems with the complete product line.

Advice to Management

Hire and keep a national sales manager, Product managers and financial should not be setting up team goals and expectations. The President needs to get out of the way and stop making the company a reactive business

"Not worth your time, moving everything to consultants, sales dropping, new products stink"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great people, not the CEO or SVP's or PLM's, everyone else is great! They don't have lives outside the company and think everyone else doesn't deserve one either.

Cons

Stopped giving bonus and raises, outsourcing many positions or not hiring to fill people that quit, so you have even more to do. CEO is always telling managers to get their people to work longer and on the weekend.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like people not slaves! And get rid of that dog! Stop yelling and treating people like they know nothing and you know everything.

"Needs more compensation"

Pros

The co-workers are great to work with, and they hire fantastic people

Cons

The benefits package is poor, and there are no more bonuses

Advice to Management

Either have bonuses or better benefits for their people in order to make employees motivated to stay.

9. "Great atmosphere"

Pros

Smaller but very effective teams. We worked overtime twice per year max. Mostly spacious offices and cubicles. Plenty of celebration parties

Cons

A few team leads chose to undercut each other rather than work together. My team lead was one of the more "ambitious" ones which lead to many wasted hours of political maneuvering.

Advice to Management

President Zee Hakimoglu does a fine job of welcoming and encouraging employees to do their best. I'm not sure if it is possible, but I think it would help if ClearOne found a way to encourage team leads and VPs to play nicer.

10. "Associate Software Engineer"

I worked at ClearOne full-time

Pros

- good company with decent benefits
    - gives time to learn new technologies
    - good for freshers and entry-level

Cons

- low to average pay scale
    - management sometimes takes scary decisions
    - very few insight in the overall executive level decisions