Clover Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2020

3.5
Clover CEO John Beatty (no image)
John Beatty
Pros
Cons
  • "First Data partnerships makes on boarding a bit complicated but this has been improving over time(in 5 reviews)

• "Growing pains transitioning from "start-up" to a mid-sized company(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company culture, hardworking and sincere employees"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Clover full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture and friendly atmosphere. Experienced and hardworking engineers.

Cons

commuting to office is difficult

"Growing pains"

I worked at Clover full-time for less than a year

Pros

Part of a larger company

Cons

Making all the post-start-up mistakes

3. "I had a good experience working there"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Clover full-time

Pros

lots of projects, can change a team/technology good perks, good work/life balance

Cons

big company already, but sill had a startup culture in management when I left

May 4, 2020Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are glad we could change a team and technology within your time with us at Clover. We are sorry to have seen you leave!

"Very poor scheduling capabilities"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Clover full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, catered lunch and dinner, some autonomy within the job

Cons

• Schedules are unknown to Clover, so you never feel like you've done any valuable work. Poor communication between software and hardware product managers, so you often end up getting negative feedback from some hardware PM after a launch because they never had any interaction with marketing. • Management is underwhelming and authoritarian, which is quite odd... • Changes are VERY slow and seems that only "important" people (?) can affect change. • Way too much gossip about petty things

May 4, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for taking time to share your review with us. We don’t quite understand what you mean by the scheduling piece whether that is your specific schedule or release schedules and would love to dive deeper into that! We have implemented manager training in 2020 to help grow and develop all managers. We enjoy our flexibility and autonomy on the job as well. If you would like to share more information on your specific situation please email hr@clover.com.

"Not Growing Very Well"

2.0
    Former Employee - Product in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Clover full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great health insurance - decent work/life balance - nice people

Cons

Clover was great as a smaller startup, since being acquired by First Data and Fiserv, they are doing a pretty poor job in scaling. Instead of hiring competent HR, they decide to promote from within someone who has no idea what they are doing nor fit to be in a position. They are a fan of promoting from within those who are "grandfathered" into the company, but those people lack the experience and training needed for their new positions. Company culture is extremely clique-y; if you're not in one of those cliques, you are made to feel like you don't belong. There is an extreme lack of good management. A lot of empty promises and people being led on over months. Some of the product managers are also incompetent, leading to a lot of projects that were due yesterday. Clover used to be a very transparent company that is becoming less so year by year. It's a good place for a first job, definitely not somewhere to stay to grow your career.

February 3, 2020Head of People Operations

We're glad you approve of the CEO and had a decent work/life balance. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We have been working on expanding our HR department since July of last year and we agree that people should be promoted based on merit, not just longevity. We're especially sorry that you felt it was clique-y. We strive to have an inclusive culture and be transparent. We are working to share all changes in a more "heads-up" way so that people feel in the know. If you have other feedback to share please email hr@clover.com.

"Senior Software engineer"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Clover full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits (which are steadly disappearing)

Cons

Highschool clique culture, where competence doesn't matter for growth. Several inept managers play games to stop talent from growing, thus securing their position.

May 4, 2020Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! We believe our benefits are some of the best in our industry as well. As an HR team, we work to take both the pros and the cons back to leadership and continue to help grow and evolve our culture and employee experiences. We are diving deeper into some of the challenges listed below and we offer every employee an opportunity to voice feedback during their exit interview as well. We welcome more feedback at hr@clover.com.

7. "Great company and leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Clover full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ability to grow and further your career. Leadership and others that care for your well being, reward your hard work and allow for work-life balance.

Cons

Acquired by a large organization and harder to navigate.

February 3, 2020Head of People Operations

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We're glad you felt cared for and able to grow your career while also having good work/life balance. We agree that trying to navigate with a new parent company is a work in progress. We're sorry you had to leave. If you have any other feedback for us please reach out to hr@clover.com.

8. "Good, not great"

4.0
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Clover full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Senior management is great. CEO and COO have earned the respect of staff. The culture is engineering focused with little bureaucracy. For Sunnyvale employees, the health insurance is top notch. Unlimited PTO. It's awesome to see the product in wild at merchants across America.

Cons

Clover wants to play in the same league as big tech, but its parent company is reluctant to make required investments. Open office can be loud and distracting. For some employees, work-from-home means nap-at-home. A few engineering middle managers are technically inept.

February 3, 2020Head of People Operations

Thanks for leaving a review. We'd love to hear more on what could make us great in your opinion. We'll give a shout out to the CEO and COO as that's nice to hear that you felt Senior management is great. If you'd like to share more info please email hr@clover.com.

"Exciting growth company"

Current Employee - Vice President in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Clover full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth. Interesting product and customer base. Interesting technical stack and problems to solve. Super nice people.

Cons

Growing pains. Need to iron out some things with parent company.

February 3, 2020Head of People Operations

Thanks for leaving this review! We agree there are lots of growth opportunities, real problems to solve and super nice people. We're working towards understanding and working through our growing pains with our parent company. If you'd like to share any other feedback feel free to reach out to hr@clover.com.

"Don't work here!"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Clover full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of my co-workers are really smart. There is a high degree of work/life balance.

Cons

Not enough senior devs or accountability to make sure you are completing tasks or learning new skills. If you aren't extremely self motivated or perhaps new to the field in general, you can fall through the cracks. Each engineering manager is managing 20+ people so you can't get any sort of individualized attention, even if you ask directly for guidance. Some co-workers can abuse the lack of accountability to do basically nothing which makes it hard to work with certain people. Since being acquired by Fiserv, there has been a HUGE reduction in benefits. For example, instead of having a winter holiday party last year, they decided to have a conference called 'CloverCon' which was supposed to be in January, then March, then May before it was eventually cancelled. There are obvious reductions in the catered lunch, happy hours, the commuter program and bonuses/promotions. I would be very surprised if more benefits weren't removed in the coming year. Overall, would not recommend working here now unless you are simply interested in collecting a paycheck & not growing your career.

February 3, 2020Head of People Operations

Thanks for taking the time to review. We agree there are a lot of smart people working here and glad you like the work/life balance. That being said, we hate to hear that you don't want to work here and wish we knew more about what is driving that. Transparency is important to us, however in some situations there are pieces that are shared with individuals vs the entire company. We are implementing a new organizational structure which might help with some of the issues you mentioned on accountability. We do hope however that our employees are self motivated to learn and develop their skills. We'd love to discuss some of your other points if you're interested please reach out to hr@clover.com.

Found 57 reviews