Codeware Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 3, 2017

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The never ending cycle of fixing problems"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Codeware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company itself is not bad. The pay is decent the benefits are good as far as retirement and insurance. The 1 star isnt for the company, its for the job/QA group

Cons

Very monotonous job that is a never ending cycle of addressing customer’s problems with the software, looking into ASME Codes and documenting changes, testing bugs and features.

Year after year it’s the same thing.

Management/Owners want new features added, software developers scramble to add features before the end of the year, which reeks havoc on the existing software version. After features are added its working to fix the issues caused by the new features as well as testing new features themselves. Then looking at the bugs found by the customers which almost always leads to more changes to the software and more testing.

When a new addenda of ASME Code is released we pour through it to see what has changed and then invariably looking at how those changes affect our software.

The only time when engineering is used in this position is when a new feature is added and the calculations are needing to be verified or if the software developers change something within the build that causes changes in the calculation results.

Coworkers are all very nice outside of work, this is an important detail, while at work the small talk and chatting are near zero. Just a small office space with a bunch of closed doors and little to no human interaction all day. So if that is important to you, this company might not be the right place for you.

There is little to no management as the management structure is very flat, which means there is no chance at any advancement. Most managers have been there almost a decade or more.

Work can be very stressful as you are expected to document as many bugs as possible before the newest software build is released as well as test as many customer found bugs as possible. Many times you are far along testing different bugs and you are pulled off by one of the department heads and put on another project which can be very frustrating as all momentum is lost.

Advice to Management

Not really sure

"Nothing like the job posting"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Codeware full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relatively high pay, good bonuses if they give them out. Some good "fringe" benefits. Somewhat flexible schedule (work from home)

Cons

No career advancement (flat management structure), No training or standard work processes cause problems and confusion between departments, poor communication from managers to supervisor to workers, not really an engineering job its more of a customer service/IT position. Always busy with menial tasks to do the work that is really needing to be done

Advice to Management

Communicate better, its not a big company. Quit wanting to add features so late into the build. Stop having unreasonable expectations

"New Business Development"

Pros

Fantastic team of dedicated and driven professionals offering a top of the line product to their customers. I loved working for a pioneering company doing work that added real, tangible value to the field. I see nothing but success and growth in their future.

Cons

Every company has room for improvement but I think Codeware genuinely cares about their employees.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and growing from the ideas of your staff. You have assembled a great team.

"It's a rare and wonderful company!"

I have been working at Codeware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Codeware for over 7 years. Based on previous work experience all I can say is that this is a rare and wonderful company to work for. The engineering team members are trained as engineers and encouraged to advance their skills. The team I work with collaborates together and has our clients’ best interests at heart. The pay is higher than average with great benefits. Working here allows me to use my engineering degree. I still have all my text books in my office because I reference them often.

Cons

I do not have any cons about this company. I have been able to develop my Engineering skills since I began my career here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and forward thinking. It is great to be a part of a company that doesn't stop at "good enough".