ColdLight Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

ColdLight Solutions President & CEO Ryan Caplan
Ryan Caplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Software Engineer"

Pros

Nice people to deal with..

Cons

I cannot find cons by my short experience

Advice to Management

Keep doing the same job.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I have been working at ColdLight Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Work Life Balance
    - Part of a larger company now, great access to benefits and career dev
    - Relaxed Atmosphere
    - Direct Manager really cares about the team and how our Morale is fairing

Cons

- Silo'd groups
    - Intra-Team communication

Honestly, all the issues that I have noticed are stemming from people not communicating with other teams. Lack of intrateam communication really puts a damper on progress

Advice to Management

Understand what you are selling, to who you are selling, and why you are selling.

Selling for the sake of providing a solution, rather than a useful tool/platform can lead to issues with clients/partners

"Eyes Bigger then Stomach"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ColdLight Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like most small companies, close knit community and strong feeling of working together for common objectives. They were recently acquired by PTC though, so not sure how that's changed.
    Overall, very good people to work with. they really believe in what they do.
    Flexible work hours. A lot of hours are required, but typically they can start and end when you want them to. Additionally, vacations were respected (most of the time).

Cons

Despite billing themselves as data science / machine learning experts, most of the staff are either not familiar with the discipline at all (i.e. more traditional developers or data warehousing backgrounds) or have academic back grounds but no experience with production ready systems.
    As such, though they can speak a big game and make great pitches, the Neuron product itself is pretty far from as promised. And worst of all, not entirely sure leadership can tell the difference or ID the gaps in technology. All in all, execution is hampered by a severe lack in product vision and understanding of the market place.
    Additionally, compensation was at par or lower then comparable companies, but was made up for by equity participation plans. Post acquisition, they're going to have to find some way to close that gap.

"A Focus Towards Employees"

Pros

Caring CEO, fast paced, creative environment with growth opportunities, light administrative burden, flex time, free snacks, access to free gym and smart people that work hard! Employees take ownership of their work and are loyal to getting the job done. All ideas are welcome to help the company succeed. Recently, ColdLight has made a commitment towards further improving the quality of the work-life of its employees and is making a dedicated effort to enhance the employee experience.

Cons

Unlimited vacation...wait, is that a con? Not for me! But some people like the formal PTO policy.

Advice to Management

Increased internal communication. ColdLight is moving and changing at light speed--pass the good news along as it comes in!

"Great company, bright future. Moving FAST!"

I have been working at ColdLight Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the culture here is great. Lots of like-minded nerds working hard to bring this technology to the market and grow. There is a noticeable lack of negative workplace politics.

Cons

King of Prussia area traffic is a drag

"Used to be a great place to work"

Pros

Hard-working, self-motivated employees. Free snacks and unlimited vacation (as long as you work on your vacation.)

Cons

Unethical – executives lie to customers to get them to sign checks or contracts and expect employees to parrot the lies. I spoke to seven other employees in three different departments working with several different clients about how they and their clients were being treated and they said it was the same.

Lack of caring about employees - employees are expected to work nights and weekends in order to make unrealistic deadlines set by executives. Your personal life is of no consequence to them. You have flex time to deal with your personal life as long as you meet the deadlines! A coworker aptly said that employees are no longer motivated to do a good job through loyalty, but now are motivated through fear of losing their job.

No desire or respect for diversity – all the executives are white males. If you are not a white male, you will only succeed by being subservient.

"Everyone Contributes to and shares in Success"

I have been working at ColdLight Solutions full-time

Pros

ColdLight is an awesome place to work and everyone here is pretty much in agreement about that (we did recently vote it as one of the best places to work in Philadelphia).
    All great companies (and ColdLight is a great company) have good culture, opportunities for advancement, good benefits packages, and strong leadership.

But here's what I think makes ColdLight more than just great:

* Everyone's voice is heard. We try to work collaboratively (the new, beautiful, open office has plenty of space for that). We have company meetings as a group to discuss where we are going. The CEO even takes out a handful of employees to dinner every few weeks to get feedback and bounce ideas around.

* Everyone works hard; when a particular team or individual achieves something great (which happens often), we celebrate each others' success. Everyone has the potential to have direct impact on what we do, which is highly motivating.

* We are growing fast, doing something unprecedented, and generating a lot of buzz. We all share pride in what we do.

* People here are brilliant. You could learn something from every employee. If you want to, you can do just that - people are always willing to teach each other and help one another grow.

* ColdLight cares about the wellbeing of its employees with great healthcare benefits, gym access, great pay, perks, vacation policy, and even fun company outings.

* People work here to have a impact and, because we are truly inventors, creativity is encouraged. ColdLight is not "just a job" for any of us and the energy and forward momentum is palpable.

Cons

Initial training here is a lacking a bit because we grow so fast and are inventing our own way of doing things along the way. Some basic, introductory training or training materials would be helpful to introduce all new employees to who we are, what we do, and where we are going.

Advice to Management

Some of the management team travels a lot talking about ColdLight to potential investors, current investors, trade show attendees, clients, potential clients etc. I think it would be excellent to do a summary of trips at the end of each month to further keep everyone in the loop on the big picture.

"Neuron changes everything and we know it."

Pros

The technology is great, leadership is awesome and the market is starting to take note of what we are doing. The new office is really nice. We do fun stuff often as a team (which is hard to do when you get north of 50 employees). We have an open vacation policy...take it when you need it!

Most of all, the entire team is laser focused. What we are doing is changing the world and we see it and hear it every day. Larger companies are taking note so that is really cool.

You'll work with super smart people who are open to all ideas and approaches to solve problems. We solve things together and not in a vacuum. What we are doing is not easy - but we are making it easy.

Great funding and partnerships with Intel Capital and Kayne Partners.

Cons

There are sometimes long hours but no one really minds. Some of the executive team have to travel a lot. But for the most part, the team is centralized. We need more company meetings to keep the entire company on the same page - but, this doesn't impact our focus for the most part.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, try and keep the core essence of the culture in tact. More clear, communication downward on a more frequent basis would be very welcomed.

"Fast growing company, fast paced work deadlines, great culture and environment..."

Pros

The work is very interesting, and you'll learn a lot working here. The diversity of industries served by Coldlight almost guarantees that you'll learn new things.

The culture and workplace environment is great. Everyone is friendly, and management respects it's employees. Decisions are made through reasonable discussions, and is everyone is encouraged to offer opinions and suggestions.

Cons

Sometimes the company grows too fast placing a burden on its employees to get solutions done in time. However, I'm not aware of any team that hasn't met a deadline, which is more a testament to the dedication and quality of people that work here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in growing the company, but try to think through whether the workforce is prepared for the new work rather than growing the workforce under pressure.