Collette Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel Sullivan Jr

Pros
Cons
  • Like many family run business you have family members employed (in 4 reviews)

• Benefits are OK, but 401k match is pretty low (in 2 reviews)

1. "Fun Atmosphere, Free Tours is a Huge Plus, Management is Trained Well"

Former Employee - Group Sales in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Group Sales in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Collette full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collette has a culture that encourages you to grow within the company. After you've been with the company for a few months management will schedule you with meetings in other departments in order to learn more about the company and the industry. Management makes quite an effort to ensure that employees are happy with events every month and the celebration of major holidays within the office.

Another huge upside about working here is the opportunity to go on the tours for free! I myself haven't been on one, but employees who have worked at the company for a year or more are able to apply to be selected for tours all around the world. If you spend your career here you could easily visit all 7 continents on tours.

In my personal experience I received great constructive criticism. Any time I was talked to about something that I needed to work it was handled very well. When you are doing well they let you know as well as when you need to improve.

Employees are trained very well.

Cons

Compensation for entry level positions is mediocre, and the raises aren't very good. Your future within the company can be somewhat ambiguous, at least when starting in the call center.

Advice to Management

In the call center we were routinely told how important we are to the company, yet our pay did not reflect that sentiment. Increase compensation or raise prospects for lower positions.

2. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Collette (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company culture
    Laid back environment
    Paid internship

Cons

No benefits
    Work could be tedious at times

3. "Engaged Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Collette full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really exciting things happening where change was needed. I like the openness of senior leadership and knowing what's going on across the company. Communication to employees has never been better.

Cons

Some still don't like all of the changes and these situations need to be dealt with so everyone is on the same page. We need to embrace the direction of the company and get excited that we will all be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Lots of good people but the CEO and corporate culture make it hard to be happy."

Former Employee - Tour Manager in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Collette full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many good people working hard for the client. That aspect makes you want to work hard for the guests. It is a Tour Company, so traveling with the guests has lots of benefits, such as visiting great destinations. A Tour Manager is likely to work in many destinations, including internationally.
    Support for charities locally and around the world.

Cons

Too often there was more focus on sales numbers than quality of product. As costs went up, sometimes too many cuts were made, that hurt the quality of the tours. It was hard to justify that to unhappy guests. While the company has at times shown great support to certain individuals and the staff as a whole, it is inconsistent, and a number of managers were not supportive of certain staff members. Inconsistency in professionalism. There was too much focus, in recent years, on advanced degrees to the exclusion of experience and talent. Training was minimal, and almost exclusively focused on new internal systems and procedures. Real professional development opportunities were non-existent for Tour Managers.
    There were many instances of rolling out programs to guests without communicating to staff. The Tour Management Department leadership was not staffed enough to ride a long with Tour Managers, so reviews were strictly based on guest surveys. Every survey from every tour counted even if there was a major problem with the tour that was completely out of your control. Pay is not very high and there is not much encouragement for guests to tip.
    They use the charity support for promotion so much that it makes on question the true motivation for it.
    As a Tour Manager expect to lead tours to places you have never been and consider yourself lucky to ever get any destination training. You will be "sold" as an expert in the destination, even if you have never set foot on the continent.

Advice to Management

Be more open with your employees.
    Ask for everyone's input on a more regular basis, not just a select few.
    Incorporate more destination training and professional development for your employees.
    Hire enough staff in the Tour Management Department so that they can ride with each TM once during the probation period, once per year for the first two years, and every other year beyond that. Reinstitute the policy of dropping the lowest and highest evaluations, to balance fairness.

6. "Great organization that cares about their clients and strong social responsibility!"

Current Employee - Client Care Center in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Client Care Center in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Collette full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are well catered to and the clients are adored. Time off policy is generous. A lot of the people working at collette really do want to see the company grow.

Cons

Parking is a bit congested. It is complimentary and you get to know your coworkers this way.

Advice to Management

Looking forward to an incredible 2017! Keep listening to staff.

"Mixed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Collette full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free wellness center on site, travel benefits if you are in the right position, some departments have good management.

Cons

Family-centric, hard to find upward mobility in most positions, going through a lot of transition/turnover right now, office working environment outdated.

Advice to Management

Promoting people for reasons that don't make sense sets a negative example for all the stellar employees who are really doing the work.

"Decent JOb"

Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Pawtuxet, RI
    Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Pawtuxet, RI

I have been working at Collette (More than 3 years)

Pros

travel industry is kind of interesting but not a lot of opportunity

Cons

Kind of boring and the management are always on you to push push push the product

Advice to Management

treat your employees with more respect and pay them better

"Great company, occasionally falls short of mission statement"

Former Employee - Tour Manager in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Collette full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people truly believe in the industry and it is growing rapidly. Office employees get a lot of holidays and in-house perks. Great benefits with matching 401k and health insurance. Plus you are selling the dream of travel...that is a perk in itself.

Cons

The company is growing faster than the leadership can effectively manage, jobs are constantly created and eliminated. They are often penny-pinching the departments, making it hard to deliver the 4-star product they advertise and pay employees what they deserve.

Advice to Management

Employees that are paid well perform better and stay longer.

"Great people, poor business decisions"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Collette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are very nice and you'll make genuine friends. No complaints about the work environment. Great benefits. Opportunities for travel.

Cons

Micromanaged, pay significantly below industry average, no upward momentum, do not utilize the talent in house, believe the best solution is to bring in bring in outside people. Do not take suggestions from the younger employees, always looking to cut corners and the customers know it.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to understand the talent they have and work with it. No one wants to do the same thing for years and years without the possibility of moving forward. A 60 cent raise? Come on....that's embarrassing. Especially when that is for a what you consider a "top employee". Who would want to stay??? The people are great and so are the benefits but it's not enough. They are losing an entire generation who have thousands of dollars in student loans they need to pay back and can't afford to be making pennies with no hope for advancement. The decisions they're making to cut corners are making people run. If you're looking for a family friendly environment with good benefits, Collette is for you. If you're looking to make money to support yourself or your family, I'd look elsewhere.

"Great Outside Sales Team!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Collette full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Collette for over 10 years and I have to say it is a GREAT outside sales team to be a part of! The leadership is recently moved to a "coaching" strategy and is intersted in the full development of the sales team. They are very fair in the commission and compensation package. It is a fun and exciting product that you can be passionate about selling! Who would not love to get to travel the world so that you will know the product that you are selling. I love that they are almost a 100 year old company and have great financial stability!

Cons

I have no cons about working with this company, but if you are not someone that wants to give 100% to thier careers...then it is not for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to move away from micro-management and toward developing us as leaders. Allow us all to be part of the process in the decision making about product, marketing and all policies.