ComPsych Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

ComPsych Chairman and CEO Richard A. Chaifetz
Richard A. Chaifetz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is focus on work-life- balance at ComPsych that I feel is important in order to stay fresh and at your best (in 24 reviews)

• Free juices, snacks, bagels on Fridays and great holiday parties (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The benefits are expensive for a family (in 20 reviews)

• Was not initially told that it is a call center (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive work environment - great company mission."

Current Employee - Information Technology in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the most positive professional environments I've worked in. Interesting backstory and mission. Good pay, location, and benefits. Stable, successful company - growing like crazy. Supportive management and good work-life balance.

Cons

More health benefit choices would be good. Deductibles can be high considering it's a company sponsored benefit.

Advice to Management

May want to make the benefits more competitive to attract talent given that the employment rate is low at this time.

2. "FMLA Operations needs a overhaul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, schedule, the people I work with and the wealth of knowledge that I've learned on the job.
    While agree with many areas that others were not satisfied about, I don't feel that it is a horrible place to work.
    In many ways I feel that a lot of other employees whom left the company and have posted here were disgruntled and no I'm not in HR. But I've been with the organization for 3 + years.
    I've also seen many people in the organization that tend to socialize and surf social media instead of working. I've seen many employees get promoted and personally they've worked hard and deserve it. So yeah, you won't get promoted by staying on FB or Instagram.

Cons

Benefits are expensive, not enough social events for employees to interact outside of work, Pay increases needed across the board.
    Making sure that possible applicants have a clear understanding of what type of work we do and yes this is a call center. However, a very unique call center.

Advice to Management

My advice to managers and upper management would be making removing certain responsibilities from the managers plates so they can properly manage their teams and hold management accountable for their teams development.
    Increased the pay and responsibilities of the Experts so they can oversee some areas on operations.

"More Com(puter) than Psych."

I worked at ComPsych full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location. Most of the people are nice and friendly. Very agreeable office space and setting. Many of the employees are people with similar backgrounds in counseling.

Cons

It is a business and it is run like a business. That can be pretty shocking when you come from a mental health or Human Services background. You really don't use your clinical skills as much as they suggest. I do believe the supervisors often treat the clients much better than they treat the employees - which is sad for a supposed Mental Health Service Company.

Advice to Management

I know it is difficult and perhaps not customary, but find a way to assess how supervisors are treating employees who work under them.

4. "Guidance Consultant"

I worked at ComPsych part-time

Pros

- Significant training prior to taking calls
    - Great way to increase clinical skills
    - Super supportive coworkers
    - Convenient location
    - Comfortable workspaces
    - Complimentary beverages and snacks daily plus breakfast on Fridays
    - Opportunities to grow/upward mobility

Cons

This job isn't for everyone and I only found that out through directly experiencing it. Accepting cold calls and knowing their is significant variability in the product/service/referral that is being requested and that there is a separate procedure for each is pretty anxiety provoking. Being p/t, I wasn't able to build a rhythm and really struggled. I think this position is much better suited for those that can dedicate f/t hours because of the repetition that is required.

Note these cons are skewed towards my experience as being a part-time employee and do not reflect the experience of a full-time employee:
    - As a p/t GC, it's very difficult to follow the same learning curve as a f/t GC and maintain progress in decreasing how long it takes to locate a file, assess a client, offer a referral, etc. There are so many types of phone calls you can receive in this role and it's very overwhelming when you don't have the ability to take calls five days a week and can build the momentum early on. If you do take a p/t position, try to arrange your schedule to be available to go in full-time the first two weeks following training.
    - As a p/t GC, there really doesn't feel like there is a lot to aspire to because you aren't eligible for benefits, bonuses, etc.

"Simple enough job made complicated"

Former Employee - FMLA Claims Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - FMLA Claims Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks were good and the bagels on Fridays were nice. The building, festivities, location, some coworkers were good. Good work life balance. Met a lot of good people even though most ended up leaving fairly soon.

Cons

Pay could be better but it wasn’t the absolute worst. Health benefits weren’t great and the copays were high. The training was inconsistent which made things hard and stressful. There was a lack of growth potential.

Advice to Management

Better pay and more consistent training would help employees stay invested

6. "Customer Experience Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free bagels on Fridays

Cons

Just about everything; if I could’ve given them less than one star I would’ve. This company is so corrupt and functions in a completely unethical manner. The pay isn’t even romately worth the work that you’re doing. Considering this is a company focused on employee wellness, they couldn’t care LESS about the wellness of their own employees. They promise you weekly bonuses that you’ll never see. They find just about every excuse possible to disqualify you from getting any sort of bonus and are in the process of making it even less attainable. The management is so poorly run and has no real structure. No one ever has a clear answer for anything which is concerning considering we’re speaking on and administering the law. The CEO is a glorified frat star that honestly might’ve convinced himself that he is God. steer CLEAR of this company if you care about your mental and overall wellbeing. Any good reviews on here are likely written by the HR department trying to recruit unsuspecting newly grads.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and know your stuff. It’s pretty ridiculous that they hire so many people to be managers that have no idea what they’re doing or taking about. The structure of team leads and experts is incredibly messy and could definitely use some work.

"Customer Experience Specialist"

Pros

Transferable job skills and health insurance.

Cons

The company doesn't pay their employees enough for what they do on a daily basis. Employees at ComPsych are underpaid. The majority of employees that I talk to are not happy with the company and are seeking other job opportunities that are willing to pay more for the same thing. The company wants everyone to have a degree, but they don't want to pay you for having a degree. Another issue with the company is micromanagement. I think that having meetings every two weeks on top of weekly quizzes and emails notifying you of how many calls are holding can be a bit much. The office bathrooms are disgusting. The cleaning service does not clean the bathrooms the way that they should be cleaned. I have walked in the bathroom numerous times and have never seen the cleaning crew use bleach or any type of disinfectant spray to clean. I have only seen them check for tissue, soap, and paper towels.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a better salary and you will notice a lower turnover rate. If you want quality then you must pay for quality.

"Good Place"

I have been working at ComPsych full-time

Pros

good management
    nice location
    friendly staff
    Awesome service to clients

Cons

pay could be better

Advice to Management

n/a

"FMLA Claims"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reasonable applicable work experience with transferable skills

Cons

They hire attorneys as account managers since attorneys are a dime a dozen nowadays, and then the account managers bully and belittle the people under them to exert their intelligence and power since they’re insecure in their roles. There are AMs who nitpicks the silliest things and embarrass and belittle those under them by calling them out for unnecessary details. I really have to say that 90% of the honest reviews are negative, and HR submits positive reviews to cancel out the negative. They also urge people in mass emails and one on one meetings who they think might have positive things to say about the company to leave reviews on glassdoor. Just a lot of power hungry people who like to be condescending to those under them. Management also likes to blame their problems on those under them, and then other managers will back them up so that management as a whole looks solid while the operations team takes the heat for mistakes. They are masters of manipulating their employees to do the most amount of work with the least amount of pay.

Advice to Management

Treat those beneath you with respect, and stop blaming all the companies problems on the operations teams. Most of the time management makes the mistakes and look for those beneath them to point the blame at, so that they aren’t embarassed in front of their clients.

"This is not a counseling position. It's a customer service call center masquerading as a help line."

Former Employee - Guidance Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides health insurance, which can include vision and dental, and snacks. There is little else that is a benefit to this job.

Cons

Has no actual counseling. You have call quotas, systems training, supervision that is about as useful as an AIM chatroom, and you are just a number to them.