ComPsych Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
ComPsych Chairman and CEO Richard A. Chaifetz
Richard A. Chaifetz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is focus on work-life- balance at ComPsych that I feel is important in order to stay fresh and at your best" (in 22 reviews)

• "Snacks were good and the bagels on Fridays were nice" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "The benefits are expensive for a family" (in 20 reviews)

• "No bonuses if you're not in the call center, low pay and a low percentage raise yearly" (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Making a Difference Every Day"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have gained many skills while working here that have allowed me personal growth, as well as professional growth. I am committed to working in this field and I enjoy being able to support our clients on a global basis. There have been many improvements internally. I have seen HR put a new focus on employees as a whole and there is a noticeable difference, including many opportunities to do things with colleagues that are work sponsored.

Cons

Insurance is costly
    No real opportunities for frontline employees to interact with other departments and learn the entire business in a holistic way. I think more would be engaged if they had opportunities to network with colleagues in a meaningful way.
    Pay could be more competitive. I think employees would stay much longer if they felt fairly compensated.

Advice to Management

Solicit feedback from your teams and show them that you are listening by making things happen when possible.
    Kick-Off is such a great event every year and not all employees can attend. This event is so informative, inspiring and gives an insight into the company goals for the next year. Recording this event for all to access would be fantastic and make everyone feel included in the vision!

ComPsych Response

Mar 15, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and you absolutely 'make a difference every day' and it is so appreciated by ComPsych leadership and our customers!

And thank you for your suggestions. We are currently... More

"Guidance Counselor"

I have been working at ComPsych full-time

Pros

Great support, flexible, great job if you’ve recently graduated or have not graduated just yet

Cons

A little organization goes a long way, pay could be higher as well

ComPsych Response

Jun 1, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and for your contributions to ComPsych EAP customers! We will continue to review our pay and benefits to align them with the market. If you have any specifics you'd like to... More

3. "Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The are abundant opportunities to learn and grow at ComPsych! If you are hungry for career challenges, and want to grow quickly, this is a great place to work! You'll have an awesome set of coworkers and the culture fit me very well. Also have to love the free snacks and juice and breakfast on Fridays!

Cons

Benefits package is pretty good.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on creating a winning culture, and promoting excellent performers from within!

"High stress, low reward"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn alot while working her

Cons

Understaffed, underpaid, underappreciated, not in a hurry to hire anyone, management is slow at getting back to you if they get back to you at all

Advice to Management

Hire more people

"Customer Service"

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Communicate with people from different regions, coworkers genuinely appear to be helpful, able to learn new information.

Cons

Repetitive work, glued to a desk all day long glaring at a computer screen, alternating between work groups are limited, clients are sometimes clueless and can be rude.

"FMLA Source"

I worked at ComPsych full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn about FMLA
    Co-Workers
    Benefits

Cons

Everything else. Management is defensive and vindictive. Pay is low, but you have to start somewhere.

"FMLA"

I have been working at ComPsych full-time

Pros

Only good thing is Location

Cons

No diversity in upper management no opportunity to grow within without kissing up some departments are better than others micro management poor training upper management doesnt care about overall employees concerns all about a dollar

Advice to Management

Listen to staff do away with bonuses upgrade training diversify upper management recruit from within retain good employees

"Say "NO!" to Guidance Resources"

Current Employee - Clinical Counselor (Also Called Guidance Counselor) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ComPsych full-time

Pros

- Meeting and working with some amazing, supportive, hardworking coworkers
    - Location

Cons

- The Clinical Counselor position (also called "Guidance Counselor" or "GC") is NOT a clinical counseling position.

- Don't be fooled by the title, talk about clinical experience gains or opportunities for advancement, new offices, unhealthy free snacks, or the occasional fake positive review posted here - this is a customer service call center job.

- The bulk of the work involves basic customer service tasks including creating new client records, transferring calls, gathering minimal intake info, providing brief support and crisis intervention as needed, scheduling appointments for other departments, and completing search assessments for things like apartment, child care, or financial hardship assistance.

- Heavy emphasis is placed on call times, call numbers, and ever increasing call quotas. The work is repetitive and tedious, and assisting multiple dissatisfied or at-risk clients per day can be very stressful.

- Increasingly high turnover in the department (supervisors included) is due to lack of support, disillusionment, burnout and little to no effort made to recognize good work, or to retain experienced employees.

- Pay is low, PTO is low, health insurance is expensive, support from management is poor, no professional development training is offered, the bonus system is convoluted and difficult to achieve, and the push to deliver the best possible customer support is in direct conflict with the constant tracking of call numbers and reminders to decrease call times - all of which is pretty ironic and disappointing for an EAP.

- LPCs/Counselors in particular - beware. Forget the recruiting pitch - the work and supervision do NOT count toward any direct service hours required for LCPC certification, and there are no opportunities for advancement here unless you are a social worker.

- GCs absolutely do not feel valued or heard. HR and management occasionally go through the motions of requesting GC feedback or ideas, but it rarely results in improvements that favor the staff. In the past 6 months, it has also become clear that management no longer considers basics like team meetings, sharing positive customer feedback, or offering reviews for longer term employees, or exit interviews to be necessary or important.

- BOTTOM LINE: The GRU department morale is very low. I can honestly say the majority of GCs deeply regret accepting a position here, and are actively seeking employment elsewhere.

"Just another call center job"

Current Employee - FMLA
    Current Employee - FMLA

I have been working at ComPsych full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagels on Friday's (if they remember to order them)
    Snacks (could also be a con since there's really no variety)
    Extremely nice co-workers.
    Nice location
    Schedule 7:30-4:00 Mon-Fri

Cons

This company truly does not value its employees. For a company that administers different leave plans for other companies certainly does not have many options to care for its employees other than FMLA. HR is not responsive to employee concerns and when you ask for help, it almost seems like you're inconveniencing them. Don't be fooled by the fake reviews that HR puts in to boost up their ratings. They are not hard to spot as most are extremely generic. Management does not interact with its employees unless you do something wrong or need you to take calls. There is really no development for employees. Pay is not at all competitive for the work we do and they certainly don't take past experience into consideration. There is a lot of favoritism when it comes to promotions. Goals are unrealistic and nobody except upper management know how bonuses are calculated. Turn over rate is astronomical and when they can't fill positions fast enough lunches and breaks have to be cut short. Benefits package SUCKS!!!!

This company makes sure that it advertises daily snacks and juice but most of the time they are not even stocked. They may put out 10 juices a day for an entire floor of 50+ employees.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I have none. Have expressed several concerns and nobody seems to care. What's the point?

"Boring! But if you're interested in Health Services, this is the job for you I guess."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ComPsych full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff were super friendly and super helpful. The staff members that I worked directly were super nice and really helped me with questions I had. My boss was also super nice and super helpful throughout my training. There's snacks and juice throughout the day and bagels on Fridays.

Cons

I literally sat at my desk and stared at a computer for 7.5 hours a day. Most of the work I was assigned had to be done on the computer. I got frequent headaches and my eyes were always burning because I was always sitting at my desk using the computer. The office environment is super quiet---everybody just remains in their cubicles the whole day. The staff in Network Services were cliquey at times. The work itself was very boring to me. I didn't have a background in health services so it was really difficult for me to stay focused, stay motivated and stay AWAKE. I'd always just watch the clock and figure out ways I could pass 7 hours in the office each day. There is also little to no opportunities for upward mobility. I was told in my interview that you can't move up, but you can move around. I've met some employees during my time there that have been there for 20+ years and have worked all the positions there were in Network Services. That's kind of creepy and very depressing to think about.

Advice to Management

Provide more incentives for the work employees do each day to keep them motivated. I feel that would improve the retention rate somewhat. Free bagels on Fridays won't suffice for long!