Community Healthcare System Reviews | Glassdoor

Community Healthcare System Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Community Healthcare System President, CEO, & Vice Chairman of the Board Donald S. Powers
Donald S. Powers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall great co-workers, and good exposure to learning different diagnoses with 2 month rotations through the floor units (in 4 reviews)

• Nice office building to work in, people are nice, and it was close to home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I wish there had been more room for advancement and a better sense of team work (in 2 reviews)

• I have written a review on a prior position, and the only thing I can say I think could be better would be health insurance (in 2 reviews)

1. "Patient Rep"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Hobart, IN
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Hobart, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is nice and friendly

Cons

Communication issues between employee and management

Advice to Management

Listen to the complaints and concerns of employee

2. "Patient accounting/registration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Lake, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Lake, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for , room for growth if you are committed depending on what department you work for. Benefits are great!

Cons

Patient accounting including registration department have power trips and operate separately from the rest of the system. I've been within and without the department of pfs and for some reason that department has its own rules apart from the rest of the system. My mistake was transferring into pfs, I should have stayed where I was at. They want to control everything and intelligence is not a pro in this department, if you are smart management is threatened by it. Once you see half the management team you wonder how they got their job, 1/2 of them are not knowledgeable but are expected to lead a department, the director is happy with having them as her puppets and will hire you if you are intimidated by her. Your attire and vacation rules are separate from the rest of the system if you are with pfs. I did learn a lot on my own but had to leave as I could not go to my superiors for anything and could no longer handle all the bs rules the director placed on everyone who I assume since she signed every policy sent out. One silly rule is if you have less then 40 hours pto you are not allowed to request any time off. Ha, that is my time earned do not tell me I cannot use it. This is an example of how petty the department can be yet are not concerned that registrars cannot do something as simple as verify an insurance.

Advice to Management

Make sure supervisors know the job before you expect them to lead an entire department. Maybe require continuing education for them or test their knowledge. Lead by example don't expect your employees to know things that you do not. Do not rely on other employees to train, have a designated superior. Instead just monitoring employees, monitor management as well. If a department is failing look at their leader it is not always the employees at fault.

3. "Fitness Pointe Employee"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer & Group Fitness Instructor in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer & Group Fitness Instructor in Munster, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The position is a very rewarding position due to being able to inspire and motivate others to achieve healthy lifestyles. You get a free membership for being an employee and there is a 50% reimbursement for CEU's.

Cons

The raises and bonuses are measly and there is a lot of work, research, studying and phone calls that you have to do during your own personal time. There is no reimbursement or extra compensation given for certain licenses that some instructors have to maintain in order to teach certain classes.

Advice to Management

Invest more money into reimbursing your trainers and group fitness instructors. Most of us do it with passion and conviction and need to be supported and appreciated and reimbursed financially and more regularly. It is frustrating to see overpriced furnishings and duplicate equipment while the raises I have been given have been averaging 1-2% an hour. Don Fesko is the CEO. Donald Powers has been deceased since 2015. Please update on Glassdoor.

4. "RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Crown Point, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Crown Point, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The system has a good vision and provides the tools necessary to complete your job. Community is very busy so job security is good.

Cons

Although most co-workers are great, some can be simply lazy and it doesn't get recognized. Pay for staff RNs is a little low and the same across all scopes/depts. There is no differentials for intensive care, cath lab or surgical type nursing...

Advice to Management

Stay down to earth and look at the big pictures.

5. "Provisional Staff"

Former Employee - Provisional RN in Munster, IN
    Former Employee - Provisional RN in Munster, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A constant flow of work by a great staff pre-op and post-op Leadership at the CSC were a decent group of individuals.

Cons

This part of the organization should have stayed independent........they ran a good operation

Advice to Management

?

6. "SPD Tec"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits and pay were ok. new facility was very nice. new equipment and machines are very nice. new floor plan and the flow of department was good.

Cons

Management does not listen to everyone equally. They also don't listen to experienced suggestions for things that would make things run smoother. They play favorites and don't teach new employees very well. Manager also does not know how to do the things he asks his employees to do. (Ex. run sterilizers, assemble trays and wrap.) and Human Resources sides with Management when it comes to problems in the department, even when they see it for themselves and are told the same issues by numerous techs.

Advice to Management

get new, experienced, forward thinking management and team leaders who want to help make things positive and have things run smoothly. LISTEN to the everyone equally.

"Great place, lack of updating to current times"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Munster, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours 8-4:30, benefits are great, plenty of vacation time, very few weekends and only 2 holidays yearly. Overall great co-workers, and good exposure to learning different diagnoses with 2 month rotations through the floor units.

Cons

Expect high caseloads on both PTAs (15-18) and PTs (10-14). Poor communication with supervisory staff. Lack of ethical mindset with charges for certain staff. Unreal expectations at times.

Advice to Management

More staff, more willingness to set protocols, improve communication, willing for updating system with new research

"Biller/Customer service Representative"

Former Employee - Follow Up Team/Customer Service Representative in Saint John, IN

I worked at Community Healthcare System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice office building to work in, people are nice, and it was close to home.

Cons

Managers and team leads were to clicky, felt like you were walking into high school all over again. Also the team leads and most supervisors really didn't kniwnhownto manage their departments.

Advice to Management

Speak to one another and be . The same page across the board, meaning all the different departments within the building need to follow the same rules and that everyone knows all the different instructions that are given to all departments. Examole : changes in protcall.

9. "Data Analytics & Informatics - Absolute best department in system!"

Current Employee - Data Analytics & Informatics in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Data Analytics & Informatics in Munster, IN

I have been working at Community Healthcare System (Less than a year)

Pros

I transferred to DAI after spending several years in another area. The work and projects are diverse and interesting, and there is a lot of interaction with hospital and patient care-centered teams. I also could not ask for better department management. They are visionary and very focused on long-term goals and making a meaningful impact from both an operational and quality perspective.

Cons

I have no complaints about working in DAI. I have written a review on a prior position, and the only thing I can say I think could be better would be health insurance.

"Would NOT recommend as a job opportunity...RUN!!!!"

Current Employee - Medical Records in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Medical Records in Munster, IN

Pros

Can't think of any, this place is horrible with people.

Cons

Horrible place. Unless you love Nazi like structure and like to be paid less than (same department, same position and they had less experience) your co-workers that come in a month behind you then by all means work here. No organization between departments, no sense of privacy from management when they leave personal documentation on printers for all to read, no training - sat in my department for almost 3 months with no training on what I was suppose to be doing day to day, 3 months of busy work. Everyone thinks they are better than you here and you have to kiss butt in order for someone to notice you and say hi and this isn't even in my department. This is just saying hi in the hallway in passing. Atmosphere here is snobbish, stuck up and not worth it. Go elsewhere.