Compunetix Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Giorgio Coraluppi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Small family company, in a tough field."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Compunetix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a fun place to work, good people for the most part. You are generally given what you can handle. Benefits are great, relaxed environment, some interesting projects.
       Salary is lower, but it's made up for with retirement, and incentive programs when things are going well.

Cons

Small company, advancement opportunities are limited. For the product they provide, they are competing with some big names, in some niche markets. Very much a niche market, with niche market thinking. Development can be slow, and domain knowledge tough to find (often learned). In a tough time I feel.

Advice to Management

Look for new markets. Look at the technology, and find ways to use it for ways that don't fit the pattern. Get ahead, and stay ahead once there. Avoid letting the fiefdoms take over. Don't be too comfortable, push.

2. "Went downhill fast.. Loved the first several years, became quite miserable"

I worked at Compunetix full-time

Pros

None of the pros from my time there are any longer relevant. I once would have said "Great place to learn, invests in training, respects employees." That doesn't happen anymore.

I once would have said "Stable place to work. No fear of losing job." But in the past few weeks several of my former colleagues have been let go. Even when I was there as recently as 2014 layoffs were starting to occur.

Cons

Unstable
    Nepotism
    Family dysfunction amongst the owner and children and between his children
    Outdated tech. When I was there in 2014 still using Rational suite, waterfall, it was just bad.

Culture is old fashioned. Some people get chewed out for leaving 10 minutes early. Some come in when they feel like it and nobody cares.

At the time I was there no work from home policy.

Mandatory overtime for salaried employees. Compunetix pays worse than any salaried job I've ever had and required more mandatory overtime than any salaried job I ever had. I make 33% more now and have a much less hectic schedule.

Advice to Management

Go out and hire some actual leaders that understand the evolving technologies. Stop wasting money on failing technologies. Learn to let go of failures instead of clinging on because they are the pet project of upper management/ownership.

Stop micromanaging. Develop an agile methodology and hire engineers and leads that you can trust to manage your cycles. Stop insulting your employees by obsessing over who leaves 10 minutes early or who wears a t-shirt to work.

Treat your employees like assets. Give flexibility on dress code, working from home, etc. It's 2017. Act like it.

You will only get employees as good as you want to treat them. Adapt. Or keep losing your top employees to better employers.

3. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Compunetix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good leadership and management in my division. Have been here about a month and have been treated very well. Everyone has been pitching in to get me up to speed with everything. Very good family type of environment.

Cons

Have not had anything negative happen since I have started. I love pretty much everything about the company.

Advice to Management

Keep investing into R & D and growing for more advancement opportunities.

"Marketing"

I worked at Compunetix full-time

Pros

Near Pittsburgh, good place to work 25 years ago, very much like a municipality, if you got in years ago you can ride it out until you retire.

Cons

Underwhelming management with little vision, market awareness or inspiration. Unfortunately resist listening to employees, partners or outsiders who offer advice. Lack of performance by long time managers close to CEO rewarded. Managers consistently find others to blame for dwindling sales when the products are out dated, non-competitive and too expensive.

Advice to Management

Consolidate some organizations, eliminate duplicate products, replace some management, focus on service side of the business and for heavens sake attend a market seminar.

5. "Dissappointing"

Pros

Liked my manager. Thought he was fair. They know how to throw a Christmas party. Nice picnics.liked seeing the old man once in a while.

Cons

Hated my trainer, employees treat each other like enemies. It's awful how they talk about one another. Pay was not good.

Advice to Management

You might want to hold on to employees who work, and purge the place of people who read their kindles instead of working.

6. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Engineering in New Kensington, PA
    Current Employee - Engineering in New Kensington, PA

I have been working at Compunetix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place for just a job. Laid back environment, free coffee and parking garage

Cons

low pay, no opportunity for advancement, hard work is not rewarded nor recognized, it seems like most of management is just coasting by waiting to retire. No real retirement plan.

7. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Compunetix full-time

Pros

I've been here for about 20 years now. The people and the work is great. Lots of good projects. The company has had its ups and downs but the turn around as far as employees is extremely low. The pay if fair (not awesome) but fair. What they make up for in salary is a family oriented style of business where you matter!

Cons

Fair salary. Not a lot of opportunities for advancement. You can sometimes feel pinned down to a certain tasks for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

Just start adding more opportunities for advancement.

8. "Not a bad job, but little room for advancement and earnings . . ."

Former Employee - Production in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Production in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Compunetix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work environment is fairly casual. Management is not unduly demanding of workers. High-tech industry might offer opportunity for advancement if business climate improves.

Cons

Not much room to move up and earn more. Not enough emphasis on developing new business. Not enough diversification--too dependent on a few customers.

Advice to Management

Employees would appreciate greater emphasis on career development. Employee reviews tend to be too brief and without enough feedback throughout the year.

"intern"

Current Employee - Hardware Design Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Hardware Design Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Compunetix (Less than a year)

Pros

good people, interesting projects, good learning experience

Cons

slow growth, slow pace of projects,

"Chill place to work, but inexperienced developing software"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Compunetix is a great place to work if you are in your mid-late thirties and have a family. They provide a relaxed work environment with good job security. A lot of the employees have been working there for 10+ years. You can ride this company out until you keel over if you want to. Overall, it's a nice place to work, but I can really only speak about software engineering. It's pretty laid back and they don't require too much of you.

Also, they have free coffee -- it ain't the greatest, but I'm not about to turn away free.

Cons

Management does not have a firm grasp of the software development process. This is probably their biggest weakness. Most project managers know nothing about software, yet their projects are 95-100% software development efforts. If you are wondering how you can effectively manage a software project with absolutely no knowledge or understanding of the software development process, well.. you can't!

They don't push their employees. Employees don't work very hard -- to the point where this is part of the culture. Employees are not pushed to learn and grow as software developers. Minimal effort is acceptable, and often preferred, even when it leads to larger, more time consuming problems in the long run.

Advice to Management

Learn about the software development process! Encourage and enforce good software development practices. Documentation, design, code reviews, unit tests - these are standard procedures in the software industry and Compunetix would do best to embrace them.

I gave a thumbs down to Dr. C, not because I think he is bad at running the company - I think he is exceptional at this. I just feel like he has a poor grasp of where the technology his company produces (and wants to produce) is heading. He also tends to micromanage a little bit too much.