Comtec Europe Reviews | Glassdoor

Simon Powell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Pros

Joined the company in March 2017 and was made to feel really welcome by HR and Admin who gave me a tour of the building and introduced me to the other departments.
    My head of department was so helpful and really put me at ease on my 1st day.
    Since I have been here there have been so many social activities that I have been involved with - sporting tournaments, bbqs, lunches provided etc.
    Coming from a motor industry where there isnt much social activities provided this company is a welcome change.
    The business is part of a group that has won a lot of new business recently so there is a real buzz about the place.

Cons

None at all this is a great place to work as you feel part of a family.

Advice to Management

Great Place to work

"Avoid if possible"

Former Employee - Senior Dev in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Dev in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Comtec Europe (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fellow colleges are grate and very helpful, the people you work with is what makes this place.

Cons

CEO’s come and go like clockwork, redundancies are common place typically amid as QA and support roles. Head of management and head of the architects are so set in there way they will never listen or be open to new ideas. You hardly ever get any praise but are always help accountable when something goes wrong. You tend to get micro managed a lot. Appraisals are just a tick box exercise you will find it very, very hard to get promoted here as they don’t have the budget or the room unless someone quits (which is a lot but even then you will have a hard time unless you threaten to leave and even then you only got a 25% chance). If head of development and head architects were to leave this place would be soooooo much better. Its well know they are the root cause why so many people leave and it’s a running joke between devs. If you work here your soon realise this is a stepping stone to a better job elsewhere at most.

Advice to Management

fire head of development and head architects and make a lot of people happier

3. "Good people bad direction"

I worked at Comtec Europe full-time

Pros

Good environment with skilled individuals

Cons

Far too many changes in direction
    Keep trying to adapt to catch up but ignore recommendations for innovation

4. "Right place, Wrong time"

Former Employee - PMO Officer in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - PMO Officer in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)

I worked at Comtec Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent team spirit and togetherness. Exciting industry and company are continuing to build after some recent strong foundations have been set

Cons

Lack of opportunity at the time I had there, due to requirement of cost-cutting exercises.

Advice to Management

Ensure structured communication to the business takes place regularly

"Good place to work"

I worked at Comtec Europe full-time

Pros

Location is good
    Free fruit
    Good people
    Senior team is starting to show a real drive and commitment to developing a world class product
    Big market presence
    Well established
    Solid process and governance, which sets it apart from some other companies in the same industry
    Social Events

Cons

Based over two floors, and the office, in some parts looks a bit drab - however it depends on what you are used to, and all the kit is functional.

Advice to Management

One floor, new carpet, establish solid marketing strategy

"perpetual uncertainty"

I have been working at Comtec Europe full-time

Pros

healthy balance of coworkers, free parking, fruit, some work can be fun, casual dress, square location is good

Cons

company direction follow a broken compass. hypocritically claim to be less reactive, yet this has brought us to where we are. lack of internal listening, need new kit, office needs a new can of paint, open an office, close an office, open an office close an office, but no warning for those affected.

Advice to Management

there was a reason an interim CEO was brought in. all he has done was for naught. company unraveling at the seams, your best talent is leaving, or you are pitting us against our friends. SMT needs to be revamped and brought up to speed with the difficulties of the business. everyone is brawling with ideas, but none are listening. might not be a final solution.

7. "A constant struggle dealing with ever changing direction!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)

Pros

Pay market rate, casual dress, free parking

Cons

3 different CEOs in 18 months, each one un-doing what went before and throwing staff into an ever increasing downward spiral of confusion. Almost yearly redundency runs (usually just before Christmas) significantly in 2008, 2010, 2011 sometimes involving up to 10% of staff going. Long hours working culture. Directors constantly changing (entire board replaced between mid 2010 and end 2011). In all, directionless, confused and poorly equipped to meet market challenges, a very frustrating place to work.

Advice to Management

Devise a market-driven customer-responsive strategy and stick to it!