Consumer Cellular Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Consumer Cellular CEO John Marick
John Marick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Benefits, excellent Managers and staff" (in 24 reviews)

• "Company gives good benefits and coworkers are great" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have never worked in a call center before so maybe this is typical of what to expect" (in 25 reviews)

• "Attendance policy is way too strict" (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Senior CAA in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior CAA in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! Great Benefits, excellent Managers and staff. Fun work environment. Great Bonus structure and room for MAJOR advancement!!!! Love the Employee Lunch-in's and activities we can be involved in.

Cons

Shifts available currently at location - need more shifts.

Advice to Management

More shifts would be nice.

2. "TSS"

Current Employee - Tss in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Tss in Portland, OR

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i like it, it is good

Cons

weekend but they have one m-f

3. "A still Hell"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Somewhat okay shift selection
    Some helpful/ kind Team members
    Parking

Cons

Very strict attendance (not just in training)
    Poor communication with management
    Quick training
    No manager is consistent with call scoring rules.
    Most managers are not on the same page with rules for their teams.
    Monthly scores are weird
    Calls are back to back all shift

Advice to Management

When I started there were "Flex days" and they were very helpful but you stopped that and it was less helpful... Attendance was very strict with your "pont" or "event" system.
    Multiple different mangers will (and have) mark you down for different things on your call scoring.
    Training center far from perfect, there are often system issues (or more communication issues) that lead to not everything being covered and they will still just send you out to the main floor like that .
    Your monthly score can be effected by a another rep talking to a customer after you and then the customer gets an email for rate the call and Consumer has no way to identify if it was about you are not bit if the the call rate goes out with your name it will be on your score even if they talk 5 people that day only one will go review will be sent to the customer for that day, they don't bother playing the calls or checking your notes unless you really fight it, then you look like a bad rep for defending your self.
    You can get back from break or lunch and go into work and they can prove that one system bit if you miscode on another then they will Mark you down.
    Calls are back to back, like maybe 2 second s after a call ends. It gets annoying and you might need more time then that but oh well. They also want.you to check email often but don't be distracted from what the customer is saying during a call... They start off with saying sales isn't important and then push you to push sales for adding accounts and adding lines, phones and accessories don't count as a sale for you...

4. "Good training lessons but poor transition into calls"

Current Employee - Caa in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Caa in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with consumer cellular for a few weeks.

In training, trainees are given very detailed theory lessons on consumer cellular policies, procedures and cultural elements.

The trainers are very polite, patient, friendly and fun. They don't mind the overabundance of questions that I ask. I'm new to call center work, so I'm very inquisitive.

Cons

The transition to on the call work was very lacking. We went from a typical classroom environment, memorizing many varied, small factoids, to immediately being thrown out onto the floor with a pen and paper and technology we had no prior experience with. In my case, I had no clue how to put a customer on hold or to complete a transfer. The very first customer I had was very harsh and impatient. I was nearly discouraged from continuing this work. It just felt different than what they had described to us.

The training feels rushed. I have a strong memory and I remember almost all they've taught us... But it's always the small details which become important on call, details mentioned once in passing without the clarity needed to answer the customer's specific question.

Those details also freeze in my head when I'm under the pressure of a call. Consumer Cellular does no "nesting" or other processes to ease the trainees into their new roles. Instead, they give us access to an outdated database and expect us to search it for information before asking the trainers for help. The trainers are almost always too busy to help anyway. On top of that, we need to take notes on the customer during the call, read a newly updated script which is too long winded even for the senior citizens we cater to, and ensure that we stay on top of emails and scheduling changes. "Sink or swim, adapt or die" seems to be the silent motto.

Also, to parrot every other review, the attendance policy is very strict during training. You're allowed one 10 min tardy in the first week. In weeks 2 - 7 of training, you're allowed a total of two more 10 min tardies OR one 4 hr early leave/ absence. If an accident occurs, look for another job before you look for mercy.

Advice to Management

Give trainees more hands on training with the physical telephone system and have the trainers call the trainees one by one on those phone systems pretending to be customers. Or at least whrn you have trainees do role playing, let it be over the phone system with one being an agent and the other being a customer.

It was way too hard for me to be thrown directly into the fire from the cold classroom. It really stressed me out... So if happiness is really one of your core values, stop sending trainees out so unprepared.

5. "Amazing company"

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great!! Flex time makes life work balance easier, the atmosphere is perfect Management is helpful and understanding!

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to communicate with customers and not let their negativity and yelling get to you

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, continue being flexible!

6. "Ok Company"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free health benefits, monthly bonuses, employee appreciation events

Cons

Lots of favoritism, Micromanaging, and Short training

7. "Loved the job, metrics are a bit unreasonable"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redmond, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Redmond, OR

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers and my customers (for the most part). Good array of devices and services suitable for seniors.

Cons

Handling time metric is unreasonable.

8. "Was great"

Former Employee - Csr1 in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Consumer Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customers, and when you finally get your benefits they are also great

Cons

Dont value their employees. At all. They have very young and lazy supervisors who are quick to tell you to set up a call back.

Advice to Management

Remember the golden rule "Treat people the way you want to be treated" applies to management too

9. "consumer celluar"

Current Employee - CSR2 in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - CSR2 in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

alot of good benifits for empolyees

Cons

employees always telling something on each other

Advice to Management

n/a

10. "Horrible Company"

Pros

It’s a full time position

Cons

All management cares about is numbers, sales

Advice to Management

Care about your customers