Consumer Technology Association Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Consumer Technology Association President and CEO Gary Shapiro
Gary Shapiro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance offered is second to none (in 15 reviews)

• Exciting events, wonderful coworkers and innovative work environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • High-turnover rate for entry-level positions because of the lack of mobility (in 4 reviews)

• I honestly believe Consumer Technology Association is a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

1. "Terrific place to work!"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CTA provides an exceptional benefit package, dynamic and friendly culture - and a collaborative work environment. Leadership values employees and is open to ideas and improvements.

Cons

I cannot think of any at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive momentum going!

2. "Overall, a great place to work"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, good benefits package, comfortable work environment, casual dress

Cons

Preferential treatment for some employees based on title and seniority

3. "Manager"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the location is great

Cons

the leadership can be difficult to work with

Advice to Management

be more accessible and available and more transparent.

May 16, 2018

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I’m so sorry your experience with CTA has not lived up to the culture we intend to provide. We care, and would love to understand... More

"Premier Employer with Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CTA is an excellent place to work. CTA has a fabulous Glassdoor rating while my last company had a rating that hovered around 2.5 stars. From experience I can tell you that your work life is vastly better at a company like CTA with that type of employee satisfaction. I have seen and lived the difference - you want to work at a place with a high Glassdoor rating.

CTA is a collaborative environment. I appreciate the people I work with because they are smart, strategic and the top in their fields while being nice and easy to work with. Sure, just like every organization there are issues and challenges that arise (that's why we call it "work" and not "play") - but the team rises to address them in positive and productive ways.

The Intern program is quite impressive. CTA brings on 30+ interns a year across a range of departments for internships that last 6 to 11 months. Sure part of the intern's job include some admin functions but it is balanced with real opportunities to work on projects - these spots are a far cry from "answering phones" and "stuffing envelopes." Some interns get hired, but all of them get the opportunity to learn and get that all important first job on the resume.

But let's talk benefits, benefits and then more benefits. CTA is an employee focused organization:
    - 6% – 10% 401K contribution
    - Telecommuting 1 day a week plus flexibility for doctors and other appointments
    - 35 hour work week (sure many folks work more but it is a FAR cry from places where 45-50 hours is the norm!)
    - All types of insurance - from health insurance to pet insurance, a wide range of options
    - Commuting subsidies
    - $25,000 forgivable home loan
    - Onsite gym

If you are reading this far than you should just stop reading and start applying to work at CTA. But you should also expect real interviews - not fluff questions. CTA has great people because they interview to get great people.

Cons

You have a busy season - CTA manages the 180,000 person CES show every January so the nature of the work means that for many employees the Oct-Jan period is busier than other times of the year. I compare that to a Baseball player who has a busy summer or a Football player with a busy winter. As much as the baseball player may want to stretch the work out evenly through the year, the fans only show up in the summer and for CTA the conference attendees are only there in January. Partner this with summer Fridays, telecommuting options and a 35 hour work week most of the year and it more than balances out.

Advice to Management

You've created a great work environment - keep investing in the business to keep it that way!

5. "Senior Trade Show Accounting Coordinator"

Current Employee - Senior Trade Show Accounting Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Trade Show Accounting Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours, Half day summer fridays, 6% 401k match pushing to 10% if bonuses are met.

Cons

Long hours during the winter period prior to CES

6. "Work environment and benefits hard to beat!"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time

Pros

Very busy and goal-oriented work environment with lots of collaboration and team projects. You are given the resources you need to get your job done and the staff is friendly and helpful. Benefits are fantastic and offer something for everyone from those just starting out to those nearing retirement.

Cons

None come to mind at this time. Well run organization!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your staff and listening!

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

Pros

CTA is the most collaborative and employee focused place I've ever worked. The leadership are approachable, make strong business decisions and care about staff. I love the people I work with because they are smart, strategic and the top in their fields while still being nice and easy to work with. I came from a culture where if a mistake was made people would point fingers and blame others so coming to this culture where teams pull together to fix problems rather than condemn people has probably been my favorite part of the CTA experience.

Cons

Free food from the many catered lunches and holiday gifts can creep up on you if you're not careful :)

Advice to Management

You've created a great work environment.

Nov 16, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We really appreciate the feedback as it allows us to understand where we are succeeding and where we may need to make some improvements... More

8. "Great benefits and gives back to community"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time

Pros

Supports many great causes like environmental sustainability around CES and has a foundation support seniors and people with disabilities

Cons

I don't have any major cons

Nov 16, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of CTA and we are happy to hear your approval of our community investments. CTA works very hard to be a strong community member both locally (through... More

9. "All-Hands On Deck Culture"

Current Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Leadership is so strong and approachable. They engage with alll staff.
    - Togetherness/Team-like culture.
    - CTA is a learning and listening organization.
    - All staff members are super smart and well-educated.
    - No one gossips or bad mouths anyone. It is frowned upon across the organization to be part of such conversation.
    - The culture emphasizes work life balance and encourages all staff to focus on health and well-being everyday. CTA has their own gym, daily personal trainer, and boot camp at 4:30 Mon - Thursday for all staff and the CEO goes!

Cons

There really aren't any.... CTA does everything the right way... all the best- business practices that you read about... CTA does it and lives it! It's not talk.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

10. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time

Pros

Tons of opportunity to make an impact. Management is open to new ideas and ways of approaching a challenge. Great team. People are very friendly, respectful, smart and always wanting to help for the benefit of the company and our members. Awesome benefits and work/life balance is better than anywhere else I've ever worked.

Cons

I really don't have any. It's a great place to work if you want to dig in, work hard and make a significant impact. I would highly recommend.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing to inspire your employees to do better. You are respectful to your employees. Please continue treating them well and they will always work as hard and as smart as possible for you.

Oct 31, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR

We were so happy to read this review and wanted to thank you for taking the time to write it. We agree that the people here are what make this such a great place to work. CTA has been able to... More