Consumer Technology Association Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Consumer Technology Association President and CEO Gary Shapiro
Gary Shapiro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CTA is an advocate for a healthy work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits and exciting trade show in Vegas every year - where all staff have opportunity to attend (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • High-turnover rate for entry-level positions because of the lack of mobility (in 4 reviews)

• From my experience there are no cons (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Organization"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming Environment - very willing to help the new guy get up to speed and avoid any possible pitfalls. Everyone was willing to answer questions.
    Smart Organized People - watching the precision, training and organization that goes into the annual show has been truly impressive. Having worked for companies in the past that conducted conferences and events, it was always a circus. CTA really has their act together.
    Fun Interactive Environment - CTA offers many ways for employees to get to know each other and acclimate to the company. There has been no shortage of fun activities (the gym, bootcamp, yoga classes, quarterly meetings, luncheons, wellness fairs, training sessions) where everyone was always so welcoming and genuinely interested in getting to know new hires.
    Amazing benefits - When I came here, I got $500 back in my pocket a month. Between them paying for my commuting expenses and more affordable healthcare, I got a larger raise than at many prior companies. In addition the 401K Match and bonus system is incredibly generous.
    Exciting Industry - It has been amazing to work for a company that is so "in the know." The Research department keep the entire company up to speed the latest tech advances, challenges and policies. The conversation is free flowing and as long as you are interested, there is always someone willing to discuss, debate and deliberate the merits of the industry and things that impact it.
    Love working with smart, hungry, innovative, hard working people and the tenure here proves that this really is a great place to work.

Cons

So far, I haven't identified any. I really have been enjoying the people and my time here. I have even been able to recommend a few changes and seen them implemented.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees. After reading several of the prior comments, it is clear that management has taken some of the feedback to heart and addressed concerns.

2. "Great culture, clear mission, creative benefits"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time

Pros

There's a strong sense of collaboration and entrepreneurialism. Every employee is encouraged to develop new ideas and programs. Lots of energy across the organization. Phenomenal benefits including mortgage and student loan assistance and great wellness program. Also, a clear mission to promote innovation that helps align projects across the organization. The organization is in a strong financial position.

Cons

I think the biggest challenge is the workload in that the organization continues to take on big, new and exciting challenges - which keeps it fun and always different - but these additions often come without subtracting legacy programs and without adding staff. The staff is dedicated but stressed and stretched thin.

Advice to Management

Discuss workload with junior and mid-level staff to gain a better understanding of the workload stresses. Explore opportunities to alleviate in part by shedding legacy programs.

Sep 18, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this very valuable feedback. Finding ways to add new and exciting projects without over burdening the staff is a growing challenge and one we take... More

3. "Great culture and work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Consumer Technology Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great organizational culture and work-life balance. Benefits are among some of the best in the area. There are a lot of opportunities for advancement among entry-mid level employees. There are some bad apples as everywhere, but generally you get the feeling the CEO and leadership value and respect employees (which shows in their benefits/employee programs like boot camp, 10% 401k contribution). Pros also include working in an exciting industry with awesome member companies. Attending CES is a nice bonus! If the job fit is right, this is a wonderful place to grow your career.

Cons

It's honestly difficult to come up with many cons. Internally, different departments have different quirks and/or challenges and as with everywhere a lot depends on your particular position and reporting structure. I definitely think some teams could do more to foster better collaboration, but it's not a widespread issue.

Aug 28, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review of CTA. We appreciate all this valuable feedback and are incredibly proud of the benefits we are able to offer our employees.

We will... More

4. "Great people, Great place to work"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time

Pros

Open door policy, flexible work schedule accommodating family and school life, variety of wonderful benefits for everyone, great friends and colleagues. Structure that allows collaboration throughout the organization.

Cons

Top heavy with many higher position employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the wonderful job of keeping employees happy, safe and enjoying coming to work.

Aug 17, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback and we are so happy you enjoy working here. If you have any additional ideas on initiatives that would keep CTA a great place to work - please don't hesitate to bring... More

"Great mission, people and culture!"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time

Pros

Best place I ever worked. The focus on innovation changing the world is inspiring. The people are bright professionals but they cooperate and genuinely like each other. The culture is healthy living, balanced lives, continuous education and open to new ideas.

Cons

No stock options, non profit salaries (but incredible and unique benefits).

Spoils people who have limited experience and they think every job will be as good. Lots of boomerangs...employees return after working elsewhere.

Advice to Management

The focus on customer service ratings and concern about complacency is spot on. May want to consider investment in big data.

Jul 31, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. CTA strives to build a culture of intention and workplace of choice, so we read and appreciate all feedback. While we do have some... More

6. "Sr. Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

Great work-life balance, intelligent and fair management, great intern program, interesting work

Cons

Event is in January so holidays are busy

Advice to Management

none

7. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

Amazing work life balance, clear and straightforward leadership, growth opportunities, positive and kind environment, exciting & innovative industry

Cons

No cons yet. Truly a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote a positive work environment and encourage innovation among staff.

"Great Employer!"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Their policies on work/life balance are great, some of the most progressive I've seen. Telecommuting, 35/hour work week, and a good amount of PTO.

Cons

There can be limited mobility for entry-level staff. They should offer more growth potential.

9. "Exceptional Assistant"

Current Employee - Specialist, Technology & Standards in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Specialist, Technology & Standards in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The association is a fantastic place to work, they provide outstanding leadership and learning opportunitites

Cons

There are no down sides of working at the Consumer Technology Association

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Great Company, Great Industry!"

I have been working at Consumer Technology Association full-time

Pros

There are always new and exciting projects in progress and opportunities to participate in teams and grow your skills. Mentor program helps new staff get acquainted with the organization (how to get things done) and existing staff can grow professionally when paired with someone outside their department who can add to their perspective and assist with skills development. Benefits are generous!

Cons

Trade show closely follows the Christmas/New Year's holiday and it's an all hands on deck event. The timing is necessary due to business and product cycles. (This is not really a con but something to be aware of as a prospective employee).

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage the sharing of information cross-departmentally. Find more ways to get ideas for future projects from all departments and positions.