Cosmopolitan Magazine Reviews

Updated Oct 27, 2021

Found 41 of over 87 reviews

4.2

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "I learned a lot about the publishing and communications world and I feel it helped better prepare me for my future in writing!(in 4 reviews)
  • "Staff was great and treated the interns like people unlike some internships .(in 4 reviews)
  • "Hers Magazine was a great place to do my first internship.(in 4 reviews)
  • "friendly people(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Great place to work

Oct 27, 2021 - Freelance Writer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great editors and team--I felt like I could pitch ideas freely and felt supported by my editors.

Cons

I enjoyed working here. No cons.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fun Experience

Oct 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I definitely think that being a photo or art intern was one of the best internships at Cosmo. We got to spend time at photoshoots and contribute to the magazine in more ways than other interns I'd say. Going to photo shoots was fun and we got to take advantage of some of the happy hour/events that they'd do in the office. And the best part is definitely the free table of products that have either been reviewed or shot for the magazine.

Cons

No payment, which is typical but still sucks.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

love it

Nov 23, 2020 - Social Media Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

great work enviorment and great people

Cons

I have nothing. bad to say

4. 2.0
    Former Employee

say they support women but don't practice it

Oct 21, 2020 - Writer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

free beauty products, swanky office

Cons

long hours, unsupportive management, serious lack of diversity and constant racism

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great

Feb 26, 2019 - Social Media in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cool! I loved it, literal dream

Cons

None! It was really great

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Work here, but be prepared for the abuse.

Mar 29, 2018 - Designer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

They do have an incredible creative cultivation. Their high bar for design as an ambitious brand is a great place for young designers to learn how to create great things under pressure. Raises the level of nonsense you are able to deal with in an office environment. If you read cosmo and fit into that culture, you will most likely enjoy your time working there. It is a great place for a very specific culture of people to thrive.

Cons

Abusive supervisors (gas-lighting, verbally abusive, bullying, general cattiness). Managers are hired internally based on how good they are at ingratiating themselves to the Chief Editor and not based on actual experience managing a team or dealing with the skill-sets of said team. There is absolutely no director of operations so almost all of the computers are at least 1-2 years out dated, which can have a huge effect on employees who have to work with incredible speed.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

A Cog in the Wheel

Dec 26, 2017 - Art Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you get a National title to work with, the talent level is top notch

Cons

Don't expect too much appreciation from corporate for your efforts.

8. 2.0

Like the Devil Wears Prada without any of the glamour

May 18, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

You learn a lot about the industry very quickly because you have to to survive. You get to see the inside workings of how a magazine is run.

Cons

If you are in a lower level position you are treated terribly. No one acknowledges your work and you will always be the first in last out. 75 hour work weeks are normal. You will be told to just figure it out, and have impossible expectations to meet.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0

Welcoming Environment

May 15, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really great group of women and men who are more than willing to impart knowledge, fast-paced environment

Cons

A lot of changes were happening in upper management during my time

10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Hearst is an incredible parent company

Apr 24, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's an incredible collection of talented, smart women.

Cons

As soon as traffic dropped (through no fault of anyone's), it became a very difficult place to work.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 41 Reviews

Cosmopolitan Magazine Reviews FAQs

Cosmopolitan Magazine has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 87 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at Cosmopolitan Magazine to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Cosmopolitan Magazine employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Cosmopolitan Magazine. This rating has improved by 11% over the last 12 months.

78% of Cosmopolitan Magazine employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cosmopolitan Magazine 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Cosmopolitan Magazine to be management, benefits, career development and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, work life balance.

Popular Careers with Cosmopolitan Magazine Job Seekers