CounterPath Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"CounterPath"

Current Employee - Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CounterPath Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Core team believes in the product. World recognizes the client as premium Unified Communications & Collaboration in the market. Excellent team atmosphere.

Cons

Geographical disbursement of various offices can be challenging, but... Bria helps to minimize this challenge.

Advice to Management

Stay the course with Enterprise (Financial, Government, & Healthcare) strategy; build SMB business via freemium model.

"Vibrant small company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

As a small company, Counterpath doesn't have many "management only" managers, and not much office politics. Most managers/team leaders are very technical hands-on, I feel this ensures that most engineers working here are good at what they do. I have been in this industry for more than a decade and have worked with a lot of engineers, some of Counterpath engineers are the best I have met. It's always great to work with the best. Time management is fairly flexible, as long as the job gets done in time. Many different technologies are involved in company's product, if interested, one has plenty chances to become expert in some areas just by doing his/her daily job.

Cons

Long hours, it's not easy for small companies to survive, so everyone is expected to do a lot. Technical wise is demanding, and you have to keep learning constantly to stay competent for your job, not for everyone. Benefits could be better.

"Grown technically and creatively while working on industry leading products"

I have been working at CounterPath Corporation full-time

Pros

Work on industry leading products for unified communications from the ground up -- real time audio/video media stacks, user interfaces, device management, back end servers, etc. Motivated individuals can have a big impact in a friendly working environment. Horn your skills with latest tools and technology. Management and culture respect work-life balance and family time.

Cons

It could be daunting to get up to speed with all the technology.

"Good technology, great people, good compensation, debates that never end"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Cutting edge technology, everybody can participate in business planning. Very good compensation and benefits package for a start up.

Cons

Lack of structure -- both your time and the company as a whole. A little too corporate for a small company.

Advice to Management

Referee internal debates -- listen, then choose a course and insist everybody follow that course. Too often people with good ideas that are nevertheless in opposition (or at least not coordinated) are allowed to pursue the separate courses to the detriment of the company. This is a leadership issue.

5. "Stay far far away!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at CounterPath Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with time throughout the day

Cons

Lack of direction, management is a bit clueless, revolving door of staff, letting talent go all the time, decreasing sales, shareholders over staff well being

These are just to name a few. You have to realize that this company has had over 10 years of straight quarterly losses. Go check the record (they are publicly traded under CPAH and PATH). How does a company like this survive? Constant injection of capital from a well funded chairman of the board. The products they sell are also over priced which makes the job of sales a tough gig.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take a hard look at themselves and the company. They need to ask themselves if their leadership team is really leaders or full of fluffy words and little action. Because frankly management can't execute.

"Worked 10+ years; wish I could stay even longer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at CounterPath Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Right size. Each satellite office is small, where you personally know everyone like in a small startup; but overall company size is big enough to offer sense of stability
    2. Competent co-workers. Everyone is dedicated and helpful to each other. No politics
    3. Flexible hours. Except for team meetings, you can come/leave at quite flexible time
    4. Reasonable management. My boss gave team members enough room for self control. This in turn yields better team result. You may call it macro-management; but CEO knows everyone
    5. Learning opportunities: the company has a platforms for various technologies - server, desktop, mobile (iOS, Android, BlackBerry) etc. Within the company, you have opportunities to broaden your skillset
    6. Stability. I worked there for more than 10 years, still quite many longer than me. Layoff did happen occasionally, but comparing with other similar companies, it is comfortably stable. You don't worry about it if you reasonably perform

Cons

Nothing to complain. Left reluctantly due to family reason

Advice to Management

Never read comments for CounterPath when I was employed. I'm outraged to see some negative comments that I strongly disagree by 10+ years personal experience inside the company. You have done an excellent job, especially in employee's well being side. Keep going and don't be affected by subjective non-sense comments, some of them I'm sure are in every company's reviews because no company can please 100% employees.

"Operations"

I worked at CounterPath Corporation full-time

Pros

Flexible workplace
    Flat org style allows access to leadership & high levels of visibility into projects & company goals

Cons

Because it's a small company, priorities shift quite quickly & it's challenging to plan more than 3 mo in advance.

Advice to Management

Regular feedback & performance reviews would help align employee efforts with larger company initiatives.

Oct 31, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We’re really thrilled that after 15+ years, we have been able to maintain a flexible workplace and a flat structure that allows us, as you said, to have... More

"Facts about this company, no more PR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at CounterPath Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let me think, i guess that would be foosball, coke, TV, is that 20 words minimum coming now?

Cons

I don't want to say anything personal or subjective here. Just google. Google Donovan Jones CounterPath, say in the last few years. This president is drawing almost $1 million per year (google the compensation), for virtually making this company bankrupt (check the financials). The company under him is reporting losses every quarter, every year. The investors are not impressed, the founders are not impressed, employees are not impressed... Google the stock price history charts. Google CounterPath Yahoo message board.
    Also note that most positive reviews about this company are created by the company marketing employees (or VPs, the fat cats). This is a bit of subjective/personal note, sorry.
    Please note that the HR responses to every negative feedback here are, hmm unusual, part of the one big PR.

Advice to Management

Please fire the president and replace with someone that can manage a company.

Oct 31, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Employee experiences are of utmost priority to us and we continuously strive to improve them. As a growing tech company, like any other, there are learnings that can be... More

9. "Customer Software Engineer"

I worked at CounterPath Corporation full-time

Pros

Good relaxed culture with nice benefits and fun working environment

Cons

Product needs to be updated and keep up with the times

Oct 31, 2016 – HR Manager

Hello and thanks for reviewing us! We love our relaxed, results-focused culture, too. It makes it easier to get tasks done when the culture within is a positive work environment. Thanks for your... More

"Exciting, fast-paced tech company with a fun culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at CounterPath Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Staff members are warm and welcoming; they're quick to jump in and help if needed, especially if you're a new hire.
    - The company strives to lead the market with innovative and high-impact communications technologies (VoIP softphones, IP-PBX solutions), so the work here is always exciting and fast-paced with lots of learning opportunities.
    - Positive and fun work culture: people are hard working and very passionate about what they do. The CEO and HR recognize this and reward staff with fun perks + benefits. Head office is in a great location - right in the heart of downtown Vancouver amidst the hustle and bustle of the business district.
    - Management doesn't micromanage you; instead, they empower you to take ownership and become high-performers. Support is provided to ensure successful onboarding of new staff members, as well as continued growth.
    - The CEO (Donovan Jones) brings a lot of enthusiasm, high-energy and genuine passion to the company, which is very refreshing to see. You can't help but feel just as excited as he is about being here!

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing to encourage a fun and collaborative work environment. Keep the Town Hall meetings because it's a great forum to hear company updates.

Oct 31, 2016 – HR Manager

Hello and thanks for your review! We are so glad to hear you’re having a positive experience with us. Although HR and the CEO work hard to recognize staff with perks and benefits – the culture you’re... More