Course Hero Reviews

4.8
Course Hero CEO     Andrew Grauer
Andrew Grauer
Pros
Cons
  • "People worried that they may get in trouble for uploading documents(in 18 reviews)

• "Finding all of the documents could be time consuming(in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting projects and high quality people"

Current Employee - Machine Learning Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Culture: The company has a collaborative and friendly environment. People actually care about the mission of the company and seem excited about their work. -Opportunity for personal growth: At least within the data science teams (both analytics and machine learning) there are many knowledgeable people to learn from and collaborate with. I've been especially surprised by some of the managers high level of technical knowledge.

Cons

Our brand is not well recognized but we've just started putting more effort behind it.

Course Hero2019-11-18

"Great business opportunity & culture"

Current Employee - Director of Growth and Campus Operations in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Plenty of business opportunity and potential for further growth - Passionate co-workers who are motivated by the mission - Humble, thoughtful leadership - especially during COVID-19 - Generous benefits for the stage of the company

Cons

- Location in Redwood City requires most people to commute through Bay Area traffic. However, there is a quite flexible WFH policy (2days/week)

Course Hero2020-05-21

"Genuinely living by people-first values!"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The company has great values - The employees and managers all proactively engage, encourage, and live by these values - Everyone is super supportive and kind and constantly edifying each other, but not as empty praise - Very sharp, brilliant people here, all doing what they love - Fantastic and well-presented onboarding content (company-general, with deep dives into each area of the business for full coverage) - Small company size means big impact for every employee

Cons

I can't think of any cons, but I can see areas for improvement in the CM process, though I come from a more stringent background, and with fewer cooks in the kitchen, it's possible to stay relatively stable with less stringent CM/release practices. But, as the company scales, potentially this will need to improve, and I'm sure it will. People here are forward-thinking and planning for the future, from what I have seen already.

Course Hero2020-05-14

"Challenging in a good way, lots to learn, fast pace, great benefits, and a company with a wonderful culture and values."

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots to learn, fast pace, challenging in a good way, plenty of ways to grow in your career, wonderful culture, great benefits, and a company that values their employees well being and happiness.

Cons

Well, I don't have any cons so far. Right now I see the company in between a stage of a startup type of environment to the very early stages of a mid-size company environment. I'm optimistic we can learn how to adopt and take the best hybrid of both worlds. The company has done a fantastic job of taking care of their employees safety and well being during these strange times.

Course Hero2020-05-11
  5. "Love the CEO, love the company's mission"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great onboarding program, really strong product folks and the mission is as important as ever as we endure this pandemic.

Cons

Can't work at the office

Course Hero2020-05-21

"A refreshing change from the typical Silicon Valley company"

Current Employee - Machine Learning in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for less than a year

Pros

I just joined not long ago but even through virtual meetings you can already see that this company has very clear communications and lays out all its difficulties in plain sight so everyone can try to help work on it. The executive team is considerate and empathetic. You can really see the difference this makes as it trickles down to the management and ICs like myself. Management here often hold weekly one-on-one meetings to help employees achieve their best. During the Covid-19 pandemic, the company took good care of its employees and finds all sorts of ways to keep people happy including extra holidays and work from home perks. Weekly fireside chats with CEO etc to understand the business and Q&A sessions. The business is growing quickly and so is everyone's careers who work here (employees are considered for promotions every 6 months).

Cons

The company is not the largest player in the industry and has plenty of places for a new hire to add value including fixing previous tech debt. I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary I have found yet.

Course Hero2020-05-04

"Awesome place to work!"

5.0

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super friendly colleagues, exciting work, decent pay, amazing perks, very positive workplace, supportive management, really good tools.

Cons

Nothing I can think of haha.

Course Hero2020-04-28
  8. "All a facade"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Course Hero full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Well crafted communications by leadership - Incredibly well paid - Excessive benefits - Flexibility, few hours of work/day - Relaxed environment

Cons

If you're looking for somewhere happy, easy, and well-paid to work, Course Hero is excellent. However, all of these positives are there to create an incredibly well-crafted facade of paid "best places to work". When Course Hero has to make difficult decisions, such as creating real work challenges, holding everyone accountable to performance, or protecting against harassment and sexual assault, Course Hero will always take the easy, most favorable route for themselves vs. being good people. This is hardly surprising of a business but is surprising of a company who boasts a culture of the complete opposite. Beneath the surface, they go directly against the culture they try to promote. They have some ugly secrets but most won't have to get to the point to see them anyway.

Course Hero2020-05-14

"Awesome Company!"

Current Employee - Recruiting in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for less than a year

Pros

GREAT - Leadership, Collaboration, People, Growth, Benefits, Perks, Trust, Respect, Thoughtfulness

Cons

There are times where too many people are involved and therefore decisions take awhile to be made. Basically, we get in our own way sometimes when there's over collaboration so there needs to be a reasonable balance of collaborating and it depends on the situation.

Course Hero2020-03-31

"Amazing culture and People"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time for less than a year

Pros

People , People and People. Everyone is willing to help beyond expectations Great benefits and compensation

Cons

Can be more organized as company is going through hypergrowth

Course Hero2020-03-30