Course Hero Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Andrew Grauer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you're looking for a place with work/life balance, Course Hero has it in spades (in 14 reviews)

• Organized, Very in depth internship, Work from home (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to know a lot of people or have a lot of connections in order to get people to sign up (in 7 reviews)

• Sometimes hard work is not followed through because it is difficult to get people to upload which means less pay (in 6 reviews)

"Course Hero review"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Lots of new things to learn & grow.
    * Awesome peers to work with.
    * 2 Days WFH policy - Flexible hours
    * Free Lunches & company fun events

Cons

Could hire more senior people.

2. "A Lot To Love, And Even More Potential"

I have been working at Course Hero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Team members are amazing. The people you work daily with are funny, passionate, and supportive. There is a lot of intelligence across the company.

- The pay, benefits, and perks are hard to find anywhere else. The new office is beautiful. They take really great care of their employees.

- The company has ambitious goals and an aggressive growth strategy. They want very badly to succeed, and they are willing to supply the resources to make success a reality.

- The work can be really interesting. You're typically busy without being swamped, and projects are generally very worth your time. It feels fulfilling.

Cons

- Management is this company's greatest weakness. The staff across the board is relatively young, and many of the managers just do not know how to be good managers. They're very insular and communicate often with EACH OTHER, but it's difficult to get support from other teams' managers when it's needed because, well, you aren't on their level. Everything from not making eye contact/saying hello in the hallway to not responding to questions that are necessary to do your job. They're smart people, but not great at creating a positive culture for everyone and not great communicators. Managers should spend more time listening to team members and clearing the path for their success in their roles rather than demanding delivery on goals that are sometimes created without potential impediments in mind.

Advice to Management

You have a great company here. Please just spend more time thinking about what it means to manage. You proactively listen at a large-scale level when you ask us for our feedback, and that's great. But when people are promoted because of their knowledge and *not* their ability to communicate or listen, teams breakdown. Management is more than knowing the field really well or telling team members what they need to do. You have to think about how to create an environment where team members can do their best work. While the large-scale culture is positive, the smaller team cultures aren't nearly as positive. A little more thought into effective management strategies (and hiring people to be MANAGERS, not contributors who tell other people what to do) will help so much.

3. "Taking Things to the Next Level"

Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time

Pros

-Intelligent, passionate employees
    -Inspiring mission and vision (it doesn't get better than helping students graduate)
    -Strong senior leadership team (they've been making great hires for the C-Suite lately)
    -Forward thinking engineering and design strategy (definitely thinking 5 to 10+ years down the road)
    -Smart funding strategy (they've only raised one round of funding and have been profitable since close to the beginning)
    -Great benefits and perks
    -Brand new offices
    -Numerous growth opportunities for those that excel (a true meritocracy)

Cons

-Working to hire subject matter experts to help with the shift from small to medium sized startup
    -Fast paced environment can be difficult for some
    -Location can be difficult for some to commute to (although there is a very accomadating WFH policy)

Advice to Management

Keep hiring intelligent, passionate subject matter experts at every level (including the senior leadership level). You are absolutely on the right track and if you continue to hire amazing people we will continue to achieve amazing results!

"Great People, Innovative Product, Inspiring Vision"

I have been working at Course Hero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Course Hero for ~4 years and it is by far the best Company I have worked for. Being a part of a talented team that has grown from 30 to 140 has been wild and fun ride. The team here is made of passionate, hardworking and collaborative folks that creates an environment where I'm often and find myself walking across the office to ask a question rather sending a slack message. There is no question that creating a platform that is helping to be a build a world where students graduate, confident and prepared is what gets me excited when I wake up every morning.

Also just moved to new office space and benefits are fantastic!

Cons

The last office space was a little tight for the number of individuals in the company (e.g. challenging to book conference rooms) - however the new office is almost double the space with plenty of room for growth.

"Fantastic people and fun place to work at!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, very friendly and engaging. Great work/life balance. The company is always soliciting feedback and looking for ways to improve and make things better for us. Feedback that was acted on from People Ops: we can work from home twice a week now, we have an extra paid holiday compared to last year, more vacation time, and wider variety of snacks. Also, monthly gas card!

Cons

We used to have more free lunches, but since there was a lot of waste from a lot of people choosing to work from home, the number of days was reduced

6. "intern"

Pros

get to have great benefits

Cons

too much sale, boring, no interacton

Advice to Management

more fun more interaction

"Please, don't waste your time here!"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Support Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Support Representative in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Course Hero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits package was one of the best I have ever seen, however, there are a lot of technicalities to each benefit, and participation varies by department.

The campus this office is on is extremely pleasant

Cons

Where to start? Onboarding for CS was a terrible joke. Being handed 500 pages of google docs hardly constitutes as training someone. Very little of the training was dialogue based or hands on.

The CS team was pretty much cold as ice, it was not very apparent to me that they were happy to be welcoming someone new onto the team. The other departments seem to have more fun, but very little to no collaboration exists between departments.

The role itself is a total energy suck--even as a Senior Rep I was consistently told that I needed to spend 75-80% of my time dealing with Tier 1 phone calls. 9/10 of these calls were simply issuing refunds. I had no control over my own schedule, and management often times felt manupulative.

The sense of ownership and strategy is sorely lacking in this role, and sorely needed for this company. Trying to get any positive movement within this organization was like pulling teeth, please spare yourself the misery and skip this all together.

Advice to Management

Your company needs more innovative, strategic, open-minded leaders.
    Without that, you will continue to struggle to establish yourself as a valuable and solutions-oriented product.

"Tutor Operations"

Current Employee - Tutor Operations Associate in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor Operations Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Course Hero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Peers and managers truly care about you and want you to succeed. CEO is a true dreamer and will get you excited about disrupting the tech education industry in all the right ways. Benefits are above industry standard and they have 401K match! If you want to work at a fun place that gives you autonomy to own processes while also supporting you along the way, Course Hero is the place to be.

Cons

Not much privacy in the open-concept office. However, there are couches and nooks to hide out when you need to churn out a lot of work. Company's rapid growth can hinder communication amongst departments and cause internal disconnect.

Advice to Management

Do not stop pushing your employees to question and challenge the status quo. It is important we do not lose our resourceful startup mentality in the tech education space.

"Amazing culture; tremendous potential"

I have been working at Course Hero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Course Hero has an amazing culture; it is truly a delight to work here. Teams are highly collaborative and there is a sense of belonging that is often missing in Silicon Valley companies.

Furthermore, the company has tremendous potential. Despite enormous success, they have an even bigger opportunity ahead of them. It's exciting to be at Course Here in this phase.

Cons

The "niceness" of the company/people can sometimes get in the way of difficult decisions. However, the company has recognized this and is working to find the right balance.

10. "Business Development Intern"

I have been working at Course Hero part-time

Pros

Takes only a few hours per week
    Recommendation letter
    Skype calls with a mentor

Cons

Hard to persuade students to use Course Hero at high-end universities
    Notes/documents on Course Hero are extremely disorganized, which discourages students from using it
    Not a real, full-time internship

Advice to Management

Better sort through the documents