Course Hero Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

1. Featured Interview

SEO Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (Redwood City, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online and got screened within 1 week. The HR was very friendly and provided me with all the information. Upon telling them that I am actively interviewing with other companies, they made sure that my application was accelerated and kept in touch with me to ensure I am still available and what my timeline looked like.

The phone interview was followed by a technical discussion with a team member first and then a video call with the CTO. The conversation was technical mostly.

I was then invited on-site, Given a tour of the office and then further interviewed by 5 people for 45mins each. It was a good mix of casual conversation, technical discussion, checking alignment for culture fit, etc.

I felt very welcomed on-site and everyone was very accommodating.

They confirmed next business day that they would like to have some references checked and upon completion of that the offer was rolled out.

The entire process took less than a month. I have interviewed for 20+ companies in my career and the process and follow-ups of Course Hero was by-far the best among them. The way they treated me throughout the process made me give them preference over other employers and I happily accepted the offer!

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (La Jolla, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The phone screen was around 20 minutes long. I was asked what I knew about Course Hero, why I am interested in the position, and mainly what skills I had that would make me excel in the role. The next round should be a phone call with the hiring manager, a Skype interview and then an on site interview with a case study.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example where you had to deal with quantitative data? What 3 skills do you have that will help you in this role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (Redwood City, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Disclaimer: This was the interview process as it was about 2 years ago. Keep in mind that it has probably changed since then.

The first thing to start off the interview process included an initial screening interview with the manager for my department. I was asked a few questions about my resume and the typical "why are you interested in this position" type questions. I was then given three written response questions; an example is included here and other questions included my leadership experience and my experience leading others.

After turning in this initial batch of written questions, I had another quick phone call to set up the in person interview. The in person interview was at HQ and was conducted with one person. I met some others from the team but overall not a very taxing process; half a day at most.

After this in person interview, I had another quick phone call and was offered the position. Overall pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in joining the Course Hero Team? And what caught your

attention in terms of who we are, what we're doing for education, or what we provide? (2-4

paragraphs)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (Redwood City, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The first step was a phone interview with a recruiter, who immediately moved me onto a call with the hiring manager. After that call, I was asked to create a presentation/case study. After I submitted that, I was asked to come to the office for a full day of group interviews, presentations and lunch with some of the employees. It was a great experience, but unfortunately did not end up with an offer.

It came down to experience and background at the end, but everyone was so kind and enthusiastic during the interview, it seemed a bit like I was being groomed for the position. Nevertheless, it was a positive experience, and you can tell they care about hiring the right candidate since they spend a lot of time through the thorough interview process.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with criticism or negativity from a manager?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (Redwood Shores, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

After talking for a bit I was called in for an on site interview which had me on their campus for about 6 hours. The questions included topics from algorithms, relational database design, and web security. I was also asked about previous experiences from internships and how I have dealt with problems I have encountered. There was also a decent amount of time for me to interview them. I had lunch interview with a couple employees that allowed us to just talk about how they feel and address any concerns as well as my interviewers being open to questions after their bit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Course Hero (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter and thought I'd give the interview a try since their product sounded interesting. Did a phone screening with 1 engineer then did an onsite interview with about 3 engineering teams (1-2 engineer from the teams) + the CEO. Overall I think it went well. They had a laptop to do coding technical questions on.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers. In constant time find if two numbers add up to another number in the array.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Course Hero.

Interview

- Phone screen with live coding
    - Onsite with 3 technical rounds and 2 cultural rounds. Lunch was provided at the cafe :)

The entire process was really fast, and everyone was really friendly. I enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• Given a string that looks like this: Fall2014 BIO110, return 4 pieces of information:
      Season - Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
      Year - 20XX
      Subject - BIO, ENGR, etc
      Course number

The season and year cluster may be space separated. Season always comes before year.
      The subject and course number cluster may also be space separated. Subject always comes before course number.
      The season/year and subject/course clusters are always space separated.
      You are guaranteed that season/year cluster comes first.

Season can also be given like this:
      W = Winter
      Sp = Spring
      Su = Summer
      F = Fall

Years can be given without their prefix of "20". So if you're given Fall14, you should be able to extract a year of 2014.

Subject and course number come as they are. You are guaranteed that subjects are purely alphabetical.

Examples:

Year: 2015
      Subject: BIO
      Course #: 340   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

My interview process consisted of three interviews. The first interview was conducted over the phone and was non-technical. The second and third interviews technical interviews on Google Hangouts. In the technical interviews, the interviewer and I worked on coderpad.io. I was given a few small coding challenges and was allowed to choose which language to use.

Interview Questions

• Make a program that returns true if an input string is a palindrome, or false otherwise.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Course Hero (Charlotte, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

There were two rounds in the process. First round was coding in hacker rank, questions were related to algorithms, and time complexity in any of the language. Second was technical skype interview with software engineering manager with coding in python, javascript and PHP. Questions were related to solving in algorithms and data structures.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Then I was asked to finish a online coding challenge. The challenge is held on the HackerRank platform. Three coding tasks, two simple selection questions and one behavior question. The time given is enough. The challenge is easy and I passed all the test cases. But I got a rejection after two weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1.Determine valid parentheses 2. Find a value in a BST. 3. Cut the sticks   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview itself wasn't too difficult but the process took way too long in my opinion.
    It should not have taken so long for an internship interview. The recruiter messed up once and did not get back to me with a confirmation time for a phone screening.