Course Hero Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 3, 2018

2.4

SEO Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (Redwood City, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online and got screened within 1 week. The HR was very friendly and provided me with all the information. Upon telling them that I am actively interviewing with other companies, they made sure that my application was accelerated and kept in touch with me to ensure I am still available and what my timeline looked like.

The phone interview was followed by a technical discussion with a team member first and then a video call with the CTO. The conversation was technical mostly.

I was then invited on-site, Given a tour of the office and then further interviewed by 5 people for 45mins each. It was a good mix of casual conversation, technical discussion, checking alignment for culture fit, etc.

I felt very welcomed on-site and everyone was very accommodating.

They confirmed next business day that they would like to have some references checked and upon completion of that the offer was rolled out.

The entire process took less than a month. I have interviewed for 20+ companies in my career and the process and follow-ups of Course Hero was by-far the best among them. The way they treated me throughout the process made me give them preference over other employers and I happily accepted the offer!

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero.

Interview

First OA, then a hiring manager contacted me to set up a 60 min technical interview using skype. The interview was first about some behavioral questions then online coding on CodePad.

Interview Questions

• What is your technical weakness?
      What is your super power?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Course Hero.

Interview

Not really so much of an interview as a job walkthrough. Basically only asked if I could do this and that and taught me how to market the site. Not much else to the process.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Application by HandShake, 10/14/17
    Step1. Online code challenge, 10/23/17
    Step2. Skype phone interview (1h) , 11/10/17
    Step3. Skype video interview (30 min non-technical + 1h technical + 15min HR wrap up), 12/1/17
    Declined, 12/7/17

Interview Questions

• I will focus on the final round since the first 2 steps are the same as before.
      Non techincal:
      1. Tell me about yourself
      2. What you have learnt from other students
      3. What you have taught other students
      4. What is your favorite project and what is the biggest obstacle   1 Answer
    • Technical
      1. What is your favorite project?
      2. How can you improve your project if you can remake it?
      3. Why do you want to work as a software engineer intern?   1 Answer
    • Algo 1. give a list of alphabets, output all combinations of their upper class and lower class
      eg
      [a, b] -> [ab, aB, Ab, AB]   1 Answer
    • Algo2. give a array of number, verify if there is a subarray, whose sum is equal to the target   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Course Hero.

Interview

- Phone screen with live coding
    - Onsite with 3 technical rounds and 2 cultural rounds. Lunch was provided at the cafe :)

The entire process was really fast, and everyone was really friendly. I enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• Given a string that looks like this: Fall2014 BIO110, return 4 pieces of information:
      Season - Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
      Year - 20XX
      Subject - BIO, ENGR, etc
      Course number

The season and year cluster may be space separated. Season always comes before year.
      The subject and course number cluster may also be space separated. Subject always comes before course number.
      The season/year and subject/course clusters are always space separated.
      You are guaranteed that season/year cluster comes first.

Season can also be given like this:
      W = Winter
      Sp = Spring
      Su = Summer
      F = Fall

Years can be given without their prefix of "20". So if you're given Fall14, you should be able to extract a year of 2014.

Subject and course number come as they are. You are guaranteed that subjects are purely alphabetical.

Examples:

Subject: BIO
      Course #: 340   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Course Hero (Berkeley, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online through job board. Fast response; was given 1 week to do a coding challenge. 2 coding questions in 70 minutes (an easy and a medium level question). Did not make it to the next round.

UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero (Redwood City, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very well organized and smooth. Their HR and recruiting department does a great job to set up everything. The interview went as planned and all interviewers were friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Could you show me a project in your past experience to showcase your design process?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Course Hero (Redwood City, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Hacker Rank, Assignment, beam interview and then on site, hacker rank was tough, string manipulation was solved by me using regular expressions. The interviewers were collaborative and showed excitement. They look for short code.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation, handling duplicates, load balancing, SQL queries, Permutation of string
      security attacks, how to identify security attack?   1 Answer
    • weakness, conflict with the manager, what kind of team do u like?
      why course hero? CSV file manipulation, .   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Course Hero in August 2017.

Interview

I had applied after being asked by the recruiter, however the process was a mess. It started by being of great importance to being a bit chaotic from organizing the first interview with the recruiter and then the hiring manager. When talking with the hiring manager, unfortunately, it became clear if the role was really not that important because her focus was all over the place. Which didn't really allow me to focus either. While the glassdoor reviews are generally positive here you do have to go with your gut on what you think is right or not.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Course Hero.

Interview

Applied online and received an email to set up a time for a phone interview with the VP of analytics. Phone interview included a few technical SQL questions. After the phone interview, I was told the next step is 4-6 hour data case study. After spending a lengthy time on the case study, I was told a week later I would not move forward. It is unfair to ask a candidate to spend personal time on a case study that early in the interview process. Felt like a huge waste of my time.