Cub Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Cub Foods President Mike Stigers
Mike Stigers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling especially because I was in college and overall a great part time job for the time being (in 16 reviews)

• It's union so the union gives you benefits even when you're part time (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very hard to get full time work and the benefits that come with it (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management is ruining this company (in 12 reviews)

1. "Pretty Typical Not-Great Summer Job"

Former Employee - Clean Team in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Clean Team in New Brighton, MN

I worked at Cub Foods part-time

Pros

- You get to work with other high-schoolers working at Cub as a summer job
    - Fresh air when you're pushing carts
    - You don't have to run registers if you don't want to, though you get a small raise if you're trained to do it

Cons

- It's either very boring or very demanding, not much in-between.
    - The shifts are entirely random, and the worst if you're the most recent hire in your department.
    - It's kind of a bottom-of-the-barrel starting job. I personally wish I looked harder to find something more interesting or engaging.

Advice to Management

- Do more to engage your employees
    - Think about employees more like, well, people. If they feel respected they'll do better work.

2. "I wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Eagan, MN

I worked at Cub Foods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At least you get paid weekly.

Cons

Everything is based off seniority and NOT merit based. I would work harder than 90 percent of the people there and since they were there longer they would get the extra hours or the better opportunities.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees more. Let them know what they can do for better opportunities if possible.

Stop trying to stay under the hourly budget at the expense of your employees.

3. "The Training is nonexistant"

I have been working at Cub Foods part-time

Pros

Pay is okay and the flexibility of scheduling s good

Cons

You are not trained and will crash and burn for the first couple of weeks

4. "I like my job for the most part"

Current Employee - Cashier in Savage, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Savage, MN

I have been working at Cub Foods part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working with the public . I am a great people person.

Cons

not enough hours every week have a babysitting job on the weekends they cant give me hours if

they wont give me hours if

I can not get enough hours if Ican not work weekends I have a babysitting job on the weekends.

5. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Cub Foods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours, good starting pay rate, friendly managers and co-workers, good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Very hard to get full time work and the benefits that come with it. Sometimes very random shifts. New Automated scheduling system may save some time, but the issues it has REALLY need to be ironed out.

Advice to Management

If anything, I would say more full time opportunities should be opened up. I realize this is a corporate issue but I think those who are considered great employees should be rewarded for it and not just given random hours with no benefits.

6. "Good high school or summer job"

Former Employee - Liquor Store Clerk in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Liquor Store Clerk in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Cub Foods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They put the customer first, so expect a super friendly and social atmosphere.
    Employees aren't micromanaged and are given a little bit of independence, which I liked.
    Everyone is very friendly.
    The job is usually low-stress.

Cons

It was a little boring, there wasn't always so much to do.
    They had a computer training program which was extremely tedious and unnecessarily long.
    You might have to work late hours.

Advice to Management

Sometimes they were a little unprofessional, but for the most part I would say it was pretty good.

7. "Clean Team Member"

I have been working at Cub Foods part-time

Pros

Being part of a union and having higher wages as a result was nice, but the company largely suffers as a result.

Cons

Most coworkers were not motivated and took a toll on morale. Stores are uninspiring and not fun to work in.

Advice to Management

There's nothing Cub can do really. Supervalu needs to get its corporate culture and its bottom line in order first for its stores to benefit.

8. "More of a part time job not full time"

Former Employee - Cashier in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Cub Foods part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good ones were the 10% discount, Friday freebie, sometimes would feed us, co workers were somewhat nice, handful of managers were nice also. Regular customers were nice to see everyday and helping them made your day go by faster. Weekly pay (every Friday) was a awesome deal, able to take vacation whenever and can accumulate a lot if you put in some years. Flexible scheduling especially because I was in college and overall a great part time job for the time being.

Cons

Corporate does not care about its employees! They walk in some days just to bark at everyone in the departments about something wrong. They are really snotty and would yell at you for everything. Management of the store was also bad, intentionally start arguments with workers so then they would quit. The store director in my store would always bark orders but doesn't do anything to help the store. In general, they would hire people and not train them. So they rotate the same people and work them to death (especially me). Very repetitive and sometimes management would schedule outside your availability without checking with you first. No offer of full time and after a certain amount of years your pay max out . You could only get 40 hours a week if you were a manager, other than that you could get less than 35.

Advice to Management

1. Put more effort into caring about your employees (corporate and management talking to you!)
    2. Find a better way for customers to sign up for the rewards card
    3. The registers up front need updating , BAD ! Sometimes the register would just turn off in the middle of a order. Seems like the computers are running on 2003 software.
    4. Pay raises need a change. As in , don't wait 2 years to give your workers a raise if they are doing a great job.
    5. Prices on the shelfs need to be updated so the customers can read them, one too many times the price is different from what's on the shelf.

9. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Rosemount, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rosemount, MN

I worked at Cub Foods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, easy to learn, nice for takings days off, union

Cons

The managers don't communicate well with each other

Advice to Management

Communicate to your other managers

10. "Cub foods"

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Stillwater, MN
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Stillwater, MN

I have been working at Cub Foods part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay once you work your way up the pay scale. Holiday and vacation time after a year of employment.

Cons

Corporate is constantly in the store nitpicking. Management plays favorites; reprimands people of something, but not others who do the exact same thing.

Advice to Management

Moral sucks, don’t beat us into the ground, build us up.