DC Prep Reviews | Glassdoor

Emily Lawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Love DC Prep"

I have been working at DC Prep full-time

Pros

A great school doing right by kids, with a really wonderful team of adults working toward the same students-first goals.

Cons

The extended school day means long hours, different positions can face different challenges and differing workloads

2. "Early Childhood Special Education Teacher"

Current Employee - Early Childhood Special Education Teacher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Early Childhood Special Education Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The children are the most joyful aspect of working at DC PREP.

Cons

After transition of principals, the culture from leadership has changed.

3. "Decent"

Current Employee - Data/Enrollment Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data/Enrollment Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Prep full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Non-profit organization that focuses on child development. Employees are working hard toward bridging D.C.'s educational divide. Teachers care about their students

Cons

The culture at DC Prep is outdated. There isn't a strong and accepting culture that allows employees to feel comfortable

Advice to Management

Learn new techniques to keep employees happy. There is a high turnover rate.

"No People Skills"

Pros

Lots of embedded professional development
    Lots of room for growth because they're trying to create a number of new schools in DC, and the high turn-over rate of mid-level leaders means that there are tons of spots to grow into
    Results first
    They try really hard

Cons

Senior Leadership/Home Office Staff does not accept feedback well and do not consider alternative instructional strategies (my way or the high way)
    Huge turn-over because they hire young teachers, burn them out, and recruit new ones (hello, early career TFA) and the machine keeps working as long as they have replacement cogs
    Results first means students as humans second and you as a human last.
    Creating so many new schools means that leadership is of poor quality.
    Poor diversity, even poorer diversity of thought
    At some campuses, the lack of trust is palpable. Lack of trust is a direct reflection of the inauthenticity of it's leaders.

Advice to Management

EQ is everything. Value your people. Be authentic.

"Warning- Read this"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at DC Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being around the children was always a positive experience. Their love of learning had not been squashed yet in the younger grades by DC Prep's undifferentiated expectations.

Cons

A warning to anyone reading these reviews- DC Prep IS the kind of work place that looked at their Glassdoor reviews, saw they had a rating where only "32% would recommend," and told their current employees to spend their PD one Friday writing a positive review. That is the kind of place that DC Prep is- they falsify information and data to make themselves look good by bending the rules (rather than breaking them), so they get away with it. I personally found DC Prep to be an incredibly toxic work environment that stayed with me for almost a year after I had left. People were constantly unhappy/complaining, admin was incompetent and racist (there's a reason all of the admin at Benning Middle are white), children were mistreated, and everyone was micromanaged stemming from Emily Lawson.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I guess I would just say that your false, cheery exteriors are easy to see through. Emily- maybe spend five minutes in a classroom actually getting to know the students you are serving.

6. "DC Prep is the best place for kids and staff in DC!"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my many years in education, I have never worked for an organization that truly lives by their mission every single day. As cliche as it sounds, DC Prep really does put students first, and everyone who works here is aligned to that mission. The results speak for themselves -- DC Prep is doing great things for kids in the District. I love my co-workers and feel I am surrounded by the smartest people I have ever had the pleasure to work with -- I am challenged to do better each day.

The management is receptive to your strengths and growth areas and really work with each staff member to create goals and plans to grow in your role and into the direction you desire.

DC Prep has also taken intentional action steps to increase the diversity of staff and that is very evident. The diversity of staff in the last year has increased tremendously, and beyond just their hiring practices, we have been deep into professional development and conversations around race, equity, and cultural competency -- this has made me feel more comfortable and accepted working here.

Cons

This is really difficult work and there is so much to be done. You often feel like the work is never done, and that can be challenging when you are really committed to this work. DC Prep is working hard to create sustainable roles and a greater work life/balance and that is definitely appreciated.

Advice to Management

Continue the work on diversity initiatives and continue to be thoughtful on your growth plan -- quality should always trump quantity.

7. "DC Prep Review"

I have been working at DC Prep full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had a lot of freedom and flexibility in my role. Leadership is interested in my perspectives and my growth, and there are great PD opportunities. Perhaps most important, the students and families are amazing.

Cons

DC Prep has a strong culture of working very hard. Almost everyone comes in early and stays late. I like this atmosphere, but I realize it's not for everyone. There is also a strong emphasis on character education which at times can come across in a strongly disciplinarian way.

8. "Great People, Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Department Char in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Department Char in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Prep full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reflection and Refinement is the name of the game!- Leadership is always asking for feedback and taking the suggestions and thoughts of the staff seriously.
    Mission-POSSIBLE- we have a lofty mission statement but every decision comes down to what will help us reach that mission as soon as possible.
    People first- everything about DC Prep puts people first. Our leadership team is constantly looking for new and better ways to support our teachers and staff. Our staff works tirelessly to provide opportunities to our parents to be involved in the school and classrooms. Most importantly everyone associated with the organization but the needs of our students first! We offer multiple small groups a day that allow students to work with others on their level and continue to push and grow regardless of where they started the year.
    Best of all THE PEOPLE! I work with many of my closest friends and it makes every day a little brighter!

Cons

This work is hard! Closing the achievement gap is serious work and it takes dedication! So the hours are long but they are worth it!

Advice to Management

Continue to hire people who believe in our mission and are looking for a place where they can make a different and change lives!

9. "Mission-Driven, Growth Mindset"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at DC Prep full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission is compelling and truly drives the work of the organization.
    Amazing coworkers - hardworking, smart, flexible, supportive.
    Opportunities for growth - ability to be creative and solve problems for students and for the organization.

Cons

Growth with quality is a mandate for this team - not a con, just a challenge to be aware of and be excited to help solve.

Advice to Management

Thanks for your focus on students, families, and the growth of all employees.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Prep full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dc Prep is very mission aligned. Everything is done with students academic and social needs first and foremost. DC Prep has done a lot of work with race and equity over the past year. This has greatly impacted the work that we do in bridging the educational divide. Dc Prep supports students after they leave to go to high school and support with navigating college.

It is also not uncommon that DC Prep promotes from within. DC Prep is growing and as we grow, we also need leaders. DC Prep has an intential leadership development program.

Cons

Teachers have long days. There is a lot of work to do and often not enough time to do it in.

Advice to Management

Think about ways to make days shorter for teachers.