DC Prep Reviews

Updated Jan 5, 2021

3.1
DC Prep Chief Executive Officer Laura Maestas (no image)
Laura Maestas
Pros
  • "Professional development, at all levels of the organization (including the central Home Office), is a huge focus(in 8 reviews)

• "Seems to be well funded - there were always people in classrooms wondering what the "magic" was - with great PR(in 3 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Good organization with good people getting good results"

I have been working at DC Prep full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Track record of results Adults are smart, kind & committed to children

Cons

People push themselves hard because they see the importance of the work

2. "Okay"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Prep full-time

Pros

Care about teacher development and student development

Cons

Very strict on students and very specific expectations

3. "Valuable experience"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Prep full-time

Pros

A lot of teaching practice!

Cons

No work life balance and support from parents was minimal

4. "Kind People, Tough Standards"

4.0
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at DC Prep full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture among teachers is friendly

Cons

Student culture is strict. Wide variation between campuses.

5. "Very well-organized and structured school system!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at DC Prep full-time

Pros

Great instructional coaching and growth opportunities; Team-oriented adult culture

Cons

Sustainability; High expectations/demands for educators

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Academic Specialist

I worked at DC Prep full-time

Pros

Wonderful place to work

Cons

None at all . I had no issues

"It’s not about the education, it’s about the rules."

1.0
    6th Grade Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at DC Prep

Pros

My coworkers were the reason I showed up. They really cared, but it’s because we were all struggling together. The kids mean well, they just don’t thrive in the system and that makes them mad.

Cons

DC Prep lures you in by claiming to have “best practices” for students and a true understanding of educational inequity. After short time it was obvious that this is a typical charter fueling itself on test scores and administrators that don’t know anything about helping their employees. The school burns you out in weeks and then gets mad when you aren’t running at 100% every day. They say they care about wellness, but give you no time to have it. There are no supports for the high stress environment and when the systems in place do not work they tell you it’s because you’re not holding the bar high enough for students. When you ask for support they don’t provide it. They give you what is pre-scripted to support you and never follow up. If they do follow up it’s in a bulleted email that says you aren’t meeting their expectations. Administration is not held accountable. The kids hate being there, and so do most of the teachers. Turnover is alarmingly high and not surprising. You get no freedom to change your curriculum. This is a problem because it is unusable. The person who made it doesn’t even test kids on the things that are written in the curriculum. One of the units focused on main idea for 2 and 1/2 weeks straight and then tested the kids on author’s point of view (the tests are pre-made). They didn’t do well, but for the sake of preparing for more testing, they had to take it. Unless you work well under a highly structured system do not work here. It’s not actually about education, it’s about upholding the rules, and there are a ton of them.

Continue reading
  8. "Truly Mission-oriented"

Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at DC Prep full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you really want to help kids learn and succeed, and be surrounded by people who share that goal, DC Prep is an excellent place to be. You will also learn and grow a ton, both professionally and personally.

Cons

Working at DC Prep is demanding; however, the leadership tries hard to train and support each employee.

"High Stress and Emotionally Exhausting Work Environment"

1.0
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at DC Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

- DC Prep's kids are amazing - Supportive families - Hard working colleagues - Health Insurance

Cons

- Admin lack empathy - Top down approach to teaching - Lessons/Curriculum are not culturally responsive - Work days and demands are not sustainable - Pressure put on kids The work day is incredibly stressful. Administrators only care about test scores and put student concerns aside if it means hurting their PARCC projections. I had so many colleagues develop mental health issues after working at DC Prep, and some stated those issues felt more manageable after leaving. It's bad when a student of mine even apologized after a stressful observation (which happens weekly and sometimes without notice) when admin suddenly walked into my room, incorrectly live coached me, and stressed the entire class out. The student said they wouldn't want to be a teacher if that's what they would have to go through, which is very sad. I say avoid this school and take your practice to a place where you can grow professionally and personally as an educator.

Continue reading
  10. "Long hours, little pay"

I have been working at DC Prep

Pros

Hold high standards for students academically

Cons

Demanding hours and intense work load

Viewing 1 - 10 of 54 English Reviews