DDC Reviews | Glassdoor

B.R. McConnon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great group"

I have been working at DDC full-time

Pros

Tech team is open minded, with some great engineers on deck.

Cons

Sometimes the deadlines can get tight but there is always a willingness to re-adjust from management

Advice to Management

Trust the tech team more

"Ok I guess"

I worked at DDC full-time

Pros

Strong team ethic, people always willing to go out of their way to help you

Cons

The pay is on the lower end for public affairs sphere and is not consistent with the amount of work the younger, more junior members of the team take on. Certainly not consistent with comparable positions in other companies in the public affairs sphere. Could be the reason why employee turnover here is higher than average

Advice to Management

Look at what competitors pay their employees and make an effort to pay them what they're worth. Team members already deal with heavy workloads and giving them a bit of extra breathing room salary-wise would lead to lower turnover and happier employees

"Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - Client Facing in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Client Facing in Washington, DC

I worked at DDC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-close to the White House
    -good opportunity for solid "outside of work" relationships, especially for younger employees
    -good experience across MANY topics
    -the CEO and President seem to really care about the people that work for them, especially people who are very client-facing; other executives not so much

Cons

-turnover seems to be very high - I worked there for almost a year and a half, and there weren't many people who were there when I started that were still there when I left (except for senior level people)
    -pay is inconsistent and on the low end for DC
    -some senior managers need serious training on how to interact with others
    -be prepared to never stop working...work life balance is not a real thing here

Advice to Management

-managerial training
    -figure out ways to make the work/life balance more manageable
    -restructure your pay scale and bonus scale; many of your hardest workers (associates, etc) are being screwed over because their bosses are getting all of the credit

"Great place"

I have been working at DDC full-time

Pros

Talented staff and great management and benefits

Cons

Work life balance is difficult

"Too many egos in the kitchen"

I worked at DDC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great colleagues, decent office but good location, casual dress.

Cons

Hired for one position, then given tasks that should be in a different department of the company, let alone a different person on your aligned team.

Poor communication between departments leads to everything being a fire-alarm.

Since acquisition management seems to care only about the bottom line and padding their own pockets, while paying those below them and those who have worked there longer and are the true backbone of the company are left to feed on the leftovers.

Advice to Management

Remember how this company was started. Live those values, don't let your ego grow because you now work for Omnicom and have a prominent D.C. partnership with another company.

"Associate"

Pros

Some of the most intellectual and caring colleagues I've ever had. The opportunities are here and your manager will encourage you to pursue them.

Cons

The pay is on the lower end for the type of work and the city.

7. "Project Manager"

I worked at DDC full-time

Pros

Some great people work at DDC. Lots of fun to be around and most are very professional. DC location is nice and Metro accessible. Close to lots of bars and restaurants.

Cons

They should not call the job I was asked to do "project management". To do the role - which is to manage website builds and database setups, you need to do a little bit of everything and be ready to interact with clients and sales. More than anything, you are an action item taker, list check off person. The campaign team and sales are the only ones that are listened to. I'm not sure this is wise. They are quick to take credit, but many of their ideas go astray and they do not take the blame for it - ever. I left because I wanted to be a real project manager.

Advice to Management

Rename the project manager position as a web solutions consultant or similar so that you can position it correctly and get the right people. You don't need certified project managers, you need pretty junior people who are able to talk to clients and web designers and stay in their lane.

"Great company, great experience!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at DDC full-time

Pros

Incredible people who truly care about you as a person; very fun, team-oriented work environment. Definitely expected to take on your share of work, almost everyone is willing to lend a helping hand and welcomes you with open arms. Ideal work culture. Benefit plans recently changed and aren't quite as good, but this is a result of the company being acquired, which speaks more to the impressive benefit packages that were offered pre-acquisition. Human Resources department did a great of communicating these changes out and making sure the transition was seamless. Great PTO policy. Location of the office recently changed and they are now located a couple blocks from the White House, pretty cool digs!

Cons

Younger talent takes on much more work than upper-management. Many managers would benefits from training on best management practices. On the lower end of compensation offering in DC.

Advice to Management

Younger talent takes on much more work than upper-management. Many managers would benefits from training on best management practices. Could give a bit more consideration to the voice of their employees.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at DDC (Less than a year)

Pros

The only real pros I can say during my employment was the friendliness and camaraderie of non-managerial colleagues, and the occasional free happy hours.

Cons

No work/life balance and poor management. No surprise for the high turnover rate. If you are not in a supervisor role, be prepared to viewed as nothing more than a door mat. Compensation is low compared to other companies in area.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with potential hires and value the employees who are not in supervisor roles.

"After 2 weeks I knew I made a bad decision"

I worked at DDC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired on as a PM...I left after a short time. People were generally nice.

Cons

Sorry but after 8 years of work experience I was put in a 4x4 cubicle. While junior HR girls had nice offices??? Senior staff that have been there 10+ years were sitting in cubes too, While newbies had corner offices. Training was almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

Managers and people with seniority should be given spaces of their own. How can you have proper client calls or interactions when you cube mate is 2 feet from your face. Makes no sense.