DLC Reviews | Glassdoor

"Corporate Finance Consulting"

Former Employee - Finance Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to gain exposure to a variety of industries and build a huge network of contacts in a fairly short period of time. It was a huge boost to my career and I highly recommend putting in some time at DLC. I'm really grateful for the opportunities they provided. A professionally run and efficient company with talented management. .

Cons

Depending on where you live, commutes can get rough.

As with any sort of consulting firm, the quality of the assignments vary.

Sometimes it is difficult to stay engaged when on the bench.

Advice to Management

There is opportunity to build consulting teams with specializations, could be a growth area for the firm to build 'consulting teams'

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for DLC for 11 years now, and there are several reasons why I stay:
    1.) The CEO is awesome. He cares about every employee, and tries to make the firm feel more like FAMILY than a business.
    2.) Respect. DLC is a place where if you work hard, you will be rewarded. I'm a prime example. I do the work, and the company takes care of me....period.
    3.) Benefits: Full Benefit package including 401(k). How many Consulting firms can boast that?
    4.) The internal staff is easily the best in the business...anything and everything you need, they will take care of you.

Cons

Commutes can be a little long depending on where you live, however, there is a Commute "bonus" to help offset some of the negative here.

Advice to Management

Don't change anything...As I've stated, the firm has been there for me for 11 years, and has taken very good care of me. I couldn't ask for more from a place of employment.

3. "A Long/Enduring Partnership as a Consultant with A Professional Finance Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DLC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Employment security undergirded by employment contract with consultants; you are paid whether or not you are assigned to a client giving you peace of mind and stability.
    -Consultant force rivals the best in the finance arena; the majority are CPAs and Or MBAs from top tier schools
    -Variety of assignments with Fortune 100 clients including system implementation, financial reporting, process improvement, mergers/acquisitions, and backfiling of financial manager roles
    -Great benefits including vacation (reaches over 20 days after 5 years), health insurance, life insurance, bonuses for new business and new recruitment, firm wide bonus paid to 401K each year (matching not required)
    -Flat organization - all consultants have direct reporting relationship to CEO. -Engagement content and management is the client's responsibility, with DLC client liaisons responsible for securing engagements and engagement administration.
    -Commute compensation provided for long and/or lengthy commutes to/from Clients
    -Training for software skills, certifications (e.g. CPA, PMP, etc.) and others are provided
    -With the consultant staff approaching 200 persons in 3 locations (Southern California, Northern California, and Chicago opportunities will continue to abound.

Cons

-Some clients get use to great DLC consultants, and it is hard to pry them away leading to long engagements. This can make providing a variety of experiences with Clients challenging at times.
    - DLC consultant organization usually does not hire beginners, median experience is 5 years or greater
    -If you are looking for a way to climb the ladder in terms of position/salary, you should not expect this at DLC; consultants with long tenures at DLC had usually already been on the corporate ladder and already have a good salary base when they are hired in. This is a good place to get off the Corporate Ladder and still have great compensation and benefits.
    -Connectedness between management and consultants is challenging given that consultants are always at client sites.

Advice to Management

-Continue to improvement training offerings for consultants
    -Continue to improve connectedness and communication between staff, client liaisons, and consultants

4. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Century City, CA

I worked at DLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DLC provided an opportunity to work with multiple clients at various capacities. This was only a great experience in the development of my career and a great way to continue learning new areas in my profession. I had great support from the corporate staff. I had a great experience.

Cons

The only downside is you don't have a lot of control of where your next client is going to be located and could result in a long commute at times.

Advice to Management

I think you have a great business model, continue supporting the consultants and don't change a thing.

5. "Temp Agency in Disguise"

I have been working at DLC full-time

Pros

Decent pay for the work

Cons

Work that does not build skills or lead to a future

"Fake Reviews"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at DLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for a senior accountant or 1st year manager level
    Have relationships with several large companies
    Decent benefits

Cons

Most of the reviews are fake
    They don't really care about the candidate. They are in the business of trying to throw as many resumes at the client and hope that one sticks. So, they are a glorified Robert Half
    They will sell you on roles and prestige working at a company, but won't align your goals with the role. At the end of the day, you're a number and $$ for DLC.
    There are simply better firms to consult with.

Advice to Management

Understand what candidates want instead of trying to make a quick buck by placing them. It's short term and it will turn-off candidates.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Simply put: I have found for myself a unique work experience here at DLC, and it has been, so far, my favorite career opportunity. My position as a DLC consultant is a combination of the best aspects of my days at public accounting and industry. From public accounting, it allows me to utilize my client-service skills, it provides me with more opportunities for continued learning and skills-enhancement and it rewards me for business development. From industry, it offers me the opportunity to roll-up my sleeves and dive into the details when necessary and it offers me a better work-life balance.

Though I've been 100% utilized since joining the firm, I appreciate the consulting model the Firm has adopted where I will continue to receive salary while on the bench.

Cons

I personally don't have any. I do see others have "commute" listed as a con. Commutes don't bother me, as I knew going into consulting that commuting to various clients would be part of the experience.

"Skin Pushers"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Perception in the market place that DLC offers higher caliber talent

Cons

-Temp firm - Not a consulting firm
    -Management will try to hamstring you come contract time to protect their bonuses because managing directors are sales professionals and not true consultants
    -They use the production bonus (which is really overtime hours) as a sales pitch and then use it as a tool to negotiate against you if contract renewal is at a slow time (i.e. they say they won't pay your production bonus unless you do what they want). Pretty sure it is illegal to pay overtime consistently across the company and then say you are not going to pay overtime (excuse me, "production bonus") at contract negotiation time, that may backfire if anyone every calls them on it with the labor board
    -Engagements are truly temp in nature and hit or miss. If the engagement is horrible and you indicate you are looking for more interesting work they always say it is a "bad time". Clients can treat consultants poorly and DLC will do nothing but tell the consultant to stay put because they are collecting massive margins.
    -Oh yeah, if you get a client continually extended they collect the checks and you have to fight with them for your business development bonus. If you don't get the client extended the sales professionals act like something is wrong with you for not doing their job for them.
    -Career advancement is not realistic unless you create the opportunity.

Advice to Management

Can a leopard change its spots? If so stop making sales and your P&L number one and start treating your consultants with respect.

"Horrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

every now and then you'll be offered something interesting.
    benefits are ok.

Cons

Probably the worst of the consulting firms to choose from. They will low ball you with opportunities. Will say the pay is $65-$85/hour. What they don't tell you they are likely charging the client $150/hr. The Client Service Directors don't care about you. They treat you like a number and will tell you whatever you want to hear so you may consider taking the job.

Advice to Management

Just give up and close up shop. There are too many firms that do a better job at what you do. Being 4th fiddle in this space and lying your consultants will catch up with you.

10. "DLC's business model is amazing, both for the clients they serve and the Consultants they employ!"

Current Employee - Finance & Accounting Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Finance & Accounting Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above bar competitive salaries and bonus incentives. Personal career growth continuously and quickly obtained through the business structure.

Cons

Client commutes, which range, can sometimes be rough, but compensation for this only con is provided which again makes this firm one of thee best!!

Advice to Management

Thank you for the high level of communication and transparency, as well as organizing fun events for all to enjoy "outside" the office.