DSG Reviews | Glassdoor

Anthony Varano

"Business Development"

Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Oaks, PA
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Oaks, PA

I have been working at DSG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked in commercial printing sales many years prior to joining DSG. DSG's approach to supporting sales is very different. The biggest difference is their generous Salary plus equally generous Commissions. You are an employee, with full Health benefits, 401K and PTO in addition to Car Allowance and T&E reimbursement; not detached like a 1099 sales contractor. You are supported by a team of skilled professionals who follow strict quality processes that ensure the work is consistently completed accurately, on time and on budget. The sales team is respected as the pilots who steer the company toward new opportunities and growth as industry trends change. DSG has remained financially strong since its inception in 1992

Cons

The industry we serve can be very demanding, but with significant rewards. This requires that sales people remain connected and ready to respond even when on PTO. I do not see this as a negative, but if you plan to unplug at 5:00PM or not respond to clients when they need you, then DSG is not for you.

Advice to Management

Up until six years ago, the CaseLink Printing division was focused on producing one type of product that was incredibly lucrative for a long time, but the market matured.. Times changed and Electronic Data Collection (EDC), began eroding this business rapidly. Many of our competitors left this business niche or closed. I presented a case to make some drastic changes to the operation, requiring an investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Our CEO provided the authority for me to purchase the appropriate equipment and technologies required to expand our capabilities, while continuing to support the same niche where our expertise would continue to be an asset. Resources are always available enabling our group to continue uncovering new opportunities within this highly specialized niche.

"Salesperson's Dream"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at DSG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My professional b2b sales career commenced in 1987. Joined DSG in 1999 and hit the ground running and never looked back. Why? If you've ever had management who continually tweaks your comp plan to prevent you from earning too much, you'll know. Not here, not at DSG. The sales comp plan hasn't changed in 17 years. Fair deal. You keep everything you kill, and as long as you retain the client, that's forever including repeat business until the end of time. For the driven entrepreneurial A-Lister sales pro this is in fact a dream come true. The comp package is higher than what most other companies provide based on how efficiently the company is run. The company does not compensate sales professionals for a service; DSG compensates sales pros for a result. If you say you can perform, and actually perform, you will be rewarded beyond CRO industry standard expectations with no one looking over your shoulder as long as you get results. The sales team is in fact a team. We help each other, have each others' backs collaborating and having fun with the work. Management listens and cares, wants us to win and win big because when we do, everybody wins. A simple straightforward premise and how every sales organization should function, but again, since 1987, this is the first company where management thinks exactly the way I described and what I had always sought, and never found, until DSG. Win-win. Sales team wins, management wins, all our many colleagues win, and the clients win. This is how things ought to be and at DSG, it is how things really are.

A casual come-as-you-are-everyone-welcome environment as you would expect of a software company. Fair compensation. I'd say fair is a major keyword at DSG. All treatment from management, and interaction between employees with each other, is truly fair, collaborative, like a family environment. In families you have many different personalities, but everyone sits at the table at the same time and finds that we all actually get along. We learn new skills and new information every day. We are ahead of the competition and it happens organically because innovation is our culture, it is baked into our DNA. No two days are ever the same. We have picnics, chili competitions, everyone gets a little something on their birthdays. It's one flat team with everyone including the CEO accessible to all, a team for whom an effective sales person is proud to work hard. In turn, the family works hard for the sales pro and will never let sales down. The team always delivers.

Cons

there are no cons to working at DSG.

Advice to Management

no advice.

"Excellent environment to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at DSG (More than 10 years)

Pros

DSG provides and excellent opportunity for all to voice their opinion and be involved in a team environment. The company fosters independence in a casual and relaxed atmosphere where there is fair treatment and incentives based on performance. DSG allows you to really grow as an employee where you can learn new skill sets and be involved in the current and future direction of the software products and services. The long term benefits of working at DSG are very rewarding.

Cons

I have been here for over 11 years and DSG has allowed me to grow independently as a professional while working in a team environment. There are no cons in my experience.

Advice to Management

DSG management is one that listens and takes advice and suggestions implementing the best of the employees feedback. The employees at DSG are fantastic and really fosters a team environment among the co-workers with regular parties, lunches, picnics and other activities. One great idea would be a team building trip to Hawaii. Aloha DSG

"HR/Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

I have been working at DSG for almost six years in the accounting/finance department and it has been a great experience. I have had the opportunity to take on new challenges and grow within the company as many of my co-workers have too. The long tenure of our employees is evidence that DSG is not just a job to many, but a place to develop their career. 30% of our workforce has been with the company for more than 10 years and 60% have been here more than 5 years. DSG is a great place for those first starting out in their careers as well with an internship and co-op program that has provided many full time positions after graduation. The CEO is also the founder of the company and he has always been very involved in the organization to ensure fairness and a very collaborative environment.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Collaborative Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at DSG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an entry-level employee, I have had the opportunity to take on a wide range of job responsibilities. I have worked directly with the CEO, as well as the sales management team on a multitude of projects. These are opportunities I may not have received working in a big corporate environment, but at DSG your voice is heard by the CEO/management. Many team members have been here for 10+ years- DSG is a very collaborative environment. Nice company picnics & great coworkers.

Cons

New employee orientation could be more comprehensive

"Great Environment, Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at DSG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity is given to those who take the initiative. DSG provides good learning experiences and chances to work on new and innovative projects are always available, which is great since anyone can step up to the plate and try to take the challenge. Rewards are also given commensurately to those who demonstrate that initiative, and so whether or not DSG is a fit for you really depends upon your personality type.

You can choose to do the regular 9-5 gig and do that kind of work if that's your style, but for those who want more, this is the place to be. They're always looking to improve their processes and figure out more efficient ways to do the tasks on hand, which lends itself nicely to those who want to get involved in something bigger.

Cons

Business Development/Management can be a bit too obliging to some customer requests that are a bit too out there, leaving the project teams to fend for themselves in the actual implementation of some of those items. With that in mind, this has been improving in the past few months and there's a more open channel of communication there, so hopefully this is a moot point going forwards.

Also, marketing efforts to bolster the product lines' visibility in the industry need to be improved a bit more. The products themselves are great vs. counterparts in the same space, but market awareness could definitely be improved and will definitely help.

Advice to Management

Keep the process improvements and positive trends going!

"Casual Work Environment and Excellent Growth Oppurtunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at DSG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company promotes a very casual work environment, be it in how you dress up for work or how you interact with your managers, even to the top level management. There is very little red tapeism and to get your thought across, be it an idea or a suggestion, the doors are always open.
    A lot of emphasis on team and great attitude from co-workers, a very helpful bunch. From my experience, even though the culture is not perfect anywhere, here you end up making real good friends at work.
    A lot of opportunities here and quite a few employees take advantage of the options to work across departments and learn new skill set and become cross functional. For instance, here you get opportunities to work directly with the client if you are interested in doing so and working along with the BA / Project management team, be it gathering requirements or being part of the project implementation team, even though technically you belong to the Software Engineering team.
    Team is always encouraged to use the latest technologies and very easy to grow into a role where you can take ownership of different modules or even products and one really can make a difference than just being pigeon holed into just coding.
    The salary and benefits are pretty decent and above the market averages. Even though everyone gets an annual increase, what they get in terms of the hike and bonus are based on performance and that is a big morale boost. There is always appreciation for good work and you know this is a company that you can grow with. There is a lot of wisdom and experience with the management team and they are almost always ready to guide you in your career as well as personal and professional front.
    Another perk is the frequent free lunches and parties, especially everyone looks forward to the Christmas party where we gets gifts, usually great ones like Xbox ones, laptops, Beats headset etc. Also any employees who stays here for more than 5 years gets great anniversary gifts like iPads, Bose Sound System etc and these along with the bonus and perks will surely make you feel appreciated.

Cons

Even though we have a great team and great products, sometimes there is a feeling that the marketing efforts aren't sufficient to get the message across.
    Since we work as a team, the reluctance of management to let go of people who doesn't perform and the gesture of giving second, third and fourth chances to those sometimes affects the morale of those who perform. In many ways, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Sometimes these employees instead of being grateful for getting these chances, even when they mess up big time, end up looking at it as they were entitled as they didn't face any consequence and expects the same for the next mess up and also ends up spreads negativity once they leave.

Advice to Management

Overall, the management is doing a pretty decent job and also doing a great job in expanding our products and services itself, but we lack in putting more focus in marketing our products and the company, so others know how great we are too.
    Also, we have a great multi-national team that works very well, but one area we could improve is with the interaction between our different offices and staff in different countries.

"Great and Impressive Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Very caring upper level management

Cons

Training of new employees could be better

DSG Response

Feb 1, 2016 – CEO

Please let me know why you think the training of new employees could be better! All and any comments to improve the process would be appreciated.

"Wonderful place to work at"

Current Employee - Contractor in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Contractor in Malvern, PA

Pros

DSG is a wonderful place to work at. They are very career orientated and it is an entrepreneurial environment. You are rewarded for diligent and hard work. Additionally, you are provided the opportunity for career advancement when you are excelling within the organization.

Cons

I do not have any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Wish I didn't leave....."

Former Employee - PM Associate in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - PM Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at DSG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DSG was the first job I had after completing my MBA. My co-workers and PMs that I reported to were always helpful and encouraged my career aspirations. I do wish I stayed because my current company clearly doesn't offer the opportunities and collaboration as dsg. Management was always supportive and rewarded my efforts at dsg and I miss that....

Cons

I thought a title change and working for a bigger company was worth the change, but after reality set in I really miss DSG's culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!!!!