DUG Reviews | Glassdoor

DUG Managing Director Matthew Lamont
Matthew Lamont

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Duke Communications Assistant"

Pros

Really great atmosphere, great benefits

Cons

Management style can be hectic

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexible hours, great management, good communication

Cons

Current oil crisis has caused layoffs

3. "incompetent dictatorship"

Current Employee - Senior Geophysicist in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Geophysicist in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at DUG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very smart people work here

Cons

Management style is strictly "do as I say or else".
    Fire people very regularly just to keep up the fear level.
    Managing director has a very bad reputation, both inside and outside the company.

Advice to Management

The founders of the company should hand over control to those who know how to manage people.

4. "Very smart people, fun place"

Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at DUG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool tech to work on, very smart people to work with.

As IT, I found the geophysicists and administration staff to generally be above average users and enjoyable to support.

My initial manager was absolutely wonderful.

Cons

A bit ad hoc and lacking in process. This is also a huge positive, but it can be a bit overwhelming initially and may not be for some people.

Part way through my time there we (the department I worked in) got a new manager that I personally didn't get along great with, but to the best of my knowledge that manager no longer works at the company.

Advice to Management

Doing a good job as far as I can tell.

"Monarchist Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at DUG full-time

Pros

The ability to progress at your own pace without much involvement or direction from management. No strict dress code unless meeting customers. Higher than average salaries.

Cons

Zero to little direction or communication from the 5 head honchos in management. Often there is something sprung on you on the spot with no real opportunity to work through a well planned solution. Very short term focused.

Advice to Management

Communication of company goals to the rest of the employees. Nurture you employees, after all , you did hire them to help the company grow.

"Good people, but very disorganized"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Pros

Nice working atmosphere, helpful co-workers
    Good pay
    Interesting problems to solve

Cons

No any training whatsoever, sink or swim
    The pre-existing code don't have any comments or manuals, just dig though it and try to understand what they meant when writing it, very frustrating.

Advice to Management

You need to spend some time to reorganize your products - now it seems that there are just a couple of people in the company who knows your sofrware well. Imagine they leave you and you are left with enormous amount of code to work with somehow. It will only get worse as time goes by...

"project dateline is always too short and lack of professional training available in the company."

Current Employee - Geophysicist
    Current Employee - Geophysicist

Pros

working hour is flexible and there is no dress code need to follow. The company pay higher salary for fresh graduate

Cons

deadline for a project is always too short. Therefore, longer working hour is require even on weekends. Software is still in premature stage. People who want to join must have Linux and scripting knowledge.

Advice to Management

always taking good care, understand and listen to their employees are the keys for a growing rapidly company like this company.