DataSift Reviews | Glassdoor

Tim Barker

"Ex employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DataSift full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and work environment.

Cons

Multiple RIFs have affected morale.

"Arrogant Management, Poor Culture, Unclear Future"

Former Employee - Area Sales Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Area Sales Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DataSift full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hot space, product works, agreement with Facebook

Cons

No front end on the product requires client to be a big data specialist and as such can't be used at the desk across the business easily. Horrible culture, arrogant managers, cast system mentality, overpriced, several unqualified managers that are flat out comical

Advice to Management

Get real with yourself; you got punched in the gut by Twitter and you had no fall back plan. You caught a break with the Facebook deal; but cleaning house on the ground floor doesn't change the fact that you've got more than one person in key positions who know next to nothing about the space you play in and the clients you serve; that's considering you know who you should be focused on; which is questionable.

Jan 22, 2016 – CEO

I don’t know when you left us, so it’s hard to respond to your specifics without this context. You are right, that 2015 was a big year of transition for us, with Twitter departing as a partner and ... More

"An awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Catered lunches Wed and Friday
    Great benefits
    Fun employees
    Yummy snacks
    Great work environment
    Work with smart/talented people
    Opportunity to work with different teams within the company

Cons

No cons come to mind

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Apr 27, 2015 – Head of HR

Thanks for the feedback. If there is ever anything we can do to improve, please let us know!

"Rapid growth is the first order of the day at DataSift"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DataSift full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team oriented collaborative culture is the secret to our success, along with fully engaged, energized and forward thinking supportive leadership; and great people. Plenty of autonomy to be creative and innovative in my job.

Cons

None unless you don't take well to a fast paced open environment where continued change is a certainty and opportunity is plentiful for innovative thinker/doers.

Advice to Management

One of the most critical and challenging parts of management is deciding who makes the team and where you play them. Let's keep bringing in great people and using them to their fullest potential.

5. "I Love DataSift"

Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DataSift full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is definitely a rocket ship, growing like crazy and will be public company one day. Love working with incredibly smart, fun hard working people on really interesting work.

Cons

The DataSift culture is pretty intense and fast moving. If you are looking for a slow day job, this probably isn't your place.

Advice to Management

More free lunches!

Jun 24, 2014 – Head of HR

Thanks for the feedback and advice for more free lunches. I will pass it along to Senior Management and gauge their "appetite."

"Exciting to be on the team of one of the top ten start-up companies in big data"

Current Employee - Head of Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Head of Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DataSift full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* DataSift has been named as one of the top ten start-up companies in big data.

* Datasift is igniting the next generation of social insight and changing the way enterprises, companies and teams turn social data into strategic advantage.

* Great Leadership: smart, experienced and transparent

* Great people working with amazing technology!

Cons

* Expect your basic start-up chaos.

"DataSift Thoughts"

I have been working at DataSift full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Exec team and a fun space

Cons

Made some mistakes in the past that have hurt the business

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with the team!

"Dodge this bullet ... failing start-up"

I worked at DataSift full-time

Pros

Use to have good culture.... Use to have a good product (until Twitter removed their contract with the company)

Cons

I write this since I learned to protect people from joining. It once had a good product, but since the Twitter cut off and new product changes, the product is now a "nice to have" than a "need to have."

Lack of trust, management, incredibly high turnover (10 people quit in 1 month alone). Last I heard 50% of the company was laid off in 2015. Serious money concerns, no innovation, broken product, and did I say lack of trust? No loyalty to employees, execs are in it for themselves. 3 CEO's in 1.5 years. Need I say more?

Advice to Management

Not sure anything can help this sinking ship.... Until then be good to your people, for example don't force them to hang out and drink and promote activities late at night or during peoples personal time. Be honest and transparent.

Jan 8, 2016 – CEO

In the spirit of your advice of “be honest and transparent”, as CEO, I felt compelled to respond to your review. I will tackle them, one by one. Leadership/Trust As (newly appointed) CEO, I ... More

"Fun and Challenging, lots of Opportunity"

I have been working at DataSift full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the more interesting places I've worked. Lots of opportunity to carve out what you want to do - a young company without a lot of bureaucratic overhead. If you're looking for a place with rigid oversight, keep looking. If you're interested in somewhere you can explore new aspects of your career and learn quickly, then you'll be happy here.

Work/life balance is taken seriously here. If something comes up that needs your time or attention away from work, HR and Management will support you. Managers are encouraged to keep employees from burning out, and there's always something fun going on (Friday socialization in the office, monthly outings, etc).

Folks here are great about personal growth, training, and continuing education. If you want to learn something new, they'll support you. This is a big plus in my book.

Cons

The challenge of working with teams in the UK, New York and San Francisco can mean some days are long, or sometimes meetings fall at inconvenient times. Communication is email-heavy, but that beats 7am conference calls.

As the company grows, growing pains are natural. Some roles can feel like they need just a bit more than one person, but not quite two, and that's tough. Sometimes it feels like there's nothing to do, followed by a wave of far-too-much. But that's life in a startup, right?

Advice to Management

Keep the culture strong as we grow. Keep focusing on hiring the right people. Don't be afraid to take risks, but make sure we all know why you did.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at DataSift full-time

Pros

* Smart people who are great to work with
    * Team oriented
    * Strong market position
    * Exciting product prospects
    * Great technology
    * Growing fast

Cons

* Coordinating multiple timezones
    * Challenges of early stage company
    * No 401k match
    * Construction by office in San Francisco

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Mar 16, 2015 – Head of HR

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Look for changes to the 401(k) contribution model later this year. Your feedback is consistent with what we've heard before and we are listening. ... More