Day Wireless Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Gordon Day

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great family-owned tech company"

I have been working at Day Wireless Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, Support, Leadership, Pay, Benefits.

Cons

It's a great place to work for hard-working, positive people. It's a great place to work for people with poor attitudes because they seem to stick around too. :(

2. "Abusive and toxic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secret Town, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secret Town, CA

I have been working at Day Wireless Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good work colleagues.

Cons

Penny pinching, vindictive. Manager is a egotistical tyrant, one day sullen, the next manic, if you didn't bow down then you were guilty of insubordination. If the manager didn't like something about you then you would be placed on LOW (Lack of Work... unpaid time off) as a form of punishment, it happens all the time. Nothing is ever discussed, nothing ever followed through it's the same old thing, no communication, no consistency. After tolerating a period of bullying, a formal complaint was made to HR, they went through the motions, held interviews with staff and declared that everything was now ok, the manager had been told to alter his behavior. The person who made the complaint was told all would be fine, no recriminations. 6 weeks later he was "let go" after being subjected to snarky comments, emails, periods of LOW. Reason given was that their work was not up to standard, but not once was that person given any negative feedback on their work or given the chance to rectify anything that might be wrong. It was the manager getting revenge, plain and simple. Don't take a job here unless you're desperate.

Advice to Management

Listen carefully to what your workers are saying, not what sycophants tell you.

3. "Best in the west. Could do a lot better to treat customers like they are the ones feeding the bottom line."

Former Employee - Apprentice Radio Technician
    Former Employee - Apprentice Radio Technician

I worked at Day Wireless Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers, they are the best. Even if they are the worst.

Work is rewarding, unless the 'churn n burn' style is used by your management/sales. Meaning, a sale is made and the customer is almost never contacted again unless something major happens. In my experience a lot of customers would purchase more or feel better if you at least make an effort to show them.

Variety of work, from installation of dispatch consoles to distributed antenna systems. A tech thrives on variety and challenging work develops and sharpens proficiency.

The industry allows for you to always learn something new. If you are an old techie from days back when they had tubes, you have a plethora of new digital equipment to learn. If you are a newer generation there are always new products coming out.

The pay is good if you bring something to the table. It's great if you have skills nobody else has.

Latch onto senior techs that have the ability to teach and unlock their willingness to do so.

Cons

Lack of support. This is either a 'get the job done regardless of the lack of materials' or 'you cant have one of those to get your job done, borrow like everyone else.' Personally I have run into jobs where a lift is needed (30' ceiling) or 60'ish up the exterior of a building and being told to attach an antenna without a lift. There is always that one person brave/dumb enough to do unsafe things. How long can you count on these people to be alive if they are consistently put in unsafe situations just to save a buck or increase your profit margin because it's the end of the month?

At its best it can be fast-paced as well it should be, since production and efficiency drive profit. Although this is good to keep techs busy, it can burn them out or turn them against management when your techs are running around with little to no information about the next job, or are given tasks that take longer than the time alotted.

This a pro with a hidden agenda; Tech jobs pay well and this company is competitive when it comes to paying its technicians. In my experience they will hold your pay against you. ie 'my son is an assistant manager at (insert fast food place) you should feel so lucky'

The apprenticeship program is more or less kind of a joke. It relies on too many people that are just simply focused on other things. Not everyone is great at leading and/or mentoring. Not to mention some ppl feel threatened you could replace them. You have to constantly adjust to people that are not great at teaching anything, especially if it's a task they know how to do but not necessarily understand it. You tend to run into people that are good at faking their way thru tasks and can't offer anything beyond the how. Consider yourself self-guided if you fit into this category.

Front office people that think it's ok to make professional contact thru facebook.

Advice to Management

Take care of your subordinates and treat them like you work for them instead of the opposite. Management that treats people poorly might find half of its employees gone.

Contact the customer and always ask pertinent info. Not much is worse than driving an hour or two to a location and the customer is asking why you are there or they dont have the parts because of a mixup of info at the front desk.

Trust your techs. Try not to micromanage them into magically completing a project fast and then yanking them into working slowly because t/m.

*If you have half a dozen people leave a single shop in less than one year, you might want to do some checks and balances of how you operate as a human being.*

4. "this company is perpetually stuck in 1985"

I worked at Day Wireless Systems full-time

Pros

There are some profession people who work there, however, most of them flee after experiencing the daily high school drama of the operations

Cons

High turn over rate due to the gossip and drama of the family owned business that has not graduated from the year 1985

Advice to Management

Wake up, its not the 80's it's not okay to judge someone because they are not physically fit or good looking. Judge people on their abilities not their looks.

5. "Going well so far"

Pros

Friendly staff and informal atmosphere.

Cons

Clunky database and time entry system

6. "Great Management"

I have been working at Day Wireless Systems full-time

Pros

Fun environment, steady schedule, good management, a lot of learning opportunities to increase your sales opportunities. Low pressure sales floor.

Cons

There are some very inefficient systems in place that can waste time. Can be a steep learning curve for some.

Advice to Management

Take care of your sales people because they are the driving force behind the company's growth and profitability.

7. "Purchasing"

I have been working at Day Wireless Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and casual work environment [at warehouse]

Cons

Can have some slow work days

"A decent, but dead end job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Day Wireless Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training, decent benefits, a ton of variety in work. When I worked there, I had a lot of autonomy. When a new project came in, they would ask me how much time I needed to complete it, and would only be held accountable to the time I said I could do it in. Also, management would usually defer to the expertise of the employees. We would be handed a project or job by the management, and put in our own parts and labor estimates. If it was profitable and competitive, they would give it to the customer If not, they'd sit down with you and work the numbers until it was. I had great admiration and respect for the manager and assistant manager at that office. Probably the best managers I've ever worked with.

Cons

The pay was frustrating. Everyone's salary was a secret. I found out that another, less productive employee made $3 more than me, so I approached management. They raised my wage even higher than I asked for. Right before I left, I found out that a long-time technician I worked with occasionally made even less than I had originally.

the other thing was that 90% of the work was with government agencies, but somehow, didn't qualify for prevailing wage labor unless the agency specified that it did. But by state law labor carried out for the government , outside of maintenance work, should be considered prevailing wage, or if federal, covered under the Davis Bacon Act. We were told that our benefits put us over the wage threshold for prevailing wage, but everywhere else I worked, prevailing wage was prevailing wage. If they just paid prevailing wage all the time, I'd probably still work there.

Advice to Management

Standardize your pay system. Nothing makes employees angrier than finding out the guy next to you gets paid more for doing the same job. You also need to come up with some way to provide incentives for high performers. Having career development planning wouldn't hurt either. Day Wireless could be Such a great company to work for if you just made a few changes.

"Sales Rep"

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Great people to work with

Cons

Minimum Wage Base Salary (If you have a bad month in sales and you won't be able to pay your bills), must make a $5,000 minimum in profit before commissions are paid.

"TBO - Day Wireless"

Former Employee - Project Manager/Principal Staff Engineer in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Principal Staff Engineer in Salem, OR

Pros

Motorola Solutions largest partner in the PAC NW.

Cons

No Flex hours - strictly 8 - 5.

Advice to Management

Update enterprise network - Allow for flexible working hours to accommodate folks who have over an hour commute.