Dedicated Computing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Don Schlidt

1. "Good Job but not a Career"

Current Employee - Production Technician in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Lots of technical knowledge can be learned from just about anyone there. Very friendly environment with visible upper management. Overtime readily available for people who want it.

Cons

Management does what it can to save a buck. They don't try to keep top talent around, they're more than happy to let talent leave and just hire a new person off the street. Even if that means they have to increase hours. They also require a lot of background experience for entry level positions that don't really need that experience. Not a lot of room for growth.

Advice to Management

Keep your top talent around. A lot can be solved by keep your best employees happy instead of bringing in a brand new employee and trying to make it work. Good help is hard to find.

"Poop Show"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers that I worked with. BYOD cell phone reimbursement if you were in the right positions ($90 for everyone at the poo on level, and $210 if they liked you and you were always in the office).

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE. They take advantage of everyone and everything they can. I was in the engineering department (Formally Tushaus), and my first manager was great, then he was gone, then had a new manager every month for the next couple of months. Then had THE WORST MANAGER IN THE WORLD! He would ask me to work on something, then hover over me as I did it. If I had an idea, that he didn't link, he would tell everyone why it was so bad. It got to the point when the team had a meeting, he would ask for ideas, everyone would IM each other with "Quit" or "Don't ask us". He would throw us under the bus every chance he could. I was triple booked by him, and he said, "you'll figure it out", and I end up calling all 3 customers to vetting out what was most critical. After that, I got reprimanded by him for contacting the customers and telling them I would have to be in hours late or the next day.

Then the new ERP system started. The poor person who started as project manager was doing what he could. A higher up person wanted to cheap out on stuff, and led the whole project down the wrong path. Then they fired the project manager when they found they wasted 3 million on the wrong path, and people started to lose jobs. They fired many good hard working people, only to keep the snake and traders that were stealing from the company. One person was in direct competition and would work on his own business and tell his customers "Dedicated is going down, and they shouldn't use them", but that person go to stay because he kisses more behind than the guy that prompts the company.

They would spend thousands of dollars for some gimmicky tech, and not increase anyone pay.
    Bottom line, do not work at or with or near Dedicated Computing if you are a hard working, good person.

Advice to Management

1) Start thinking about security, I know of two people that walked out with a complete list of customers.
    2) Make all employees part owners, and you will get more dedication from them. Or at least just tell everyone that the director levels are part company owners.
    3) STOP PUSHING SHAREPOINT ONLINE, it's to slow for what they did in manufacturing.

3. "Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent for position

Cons

Pay needs some improvement and high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Make pay scale higher with education

"Toxic Environment and Unprofessional Slave Drivers"

Former Employee - Enterprise Network Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Enterprise Network Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

None. See the Cons for an explanation.

Cons

Believe all of the negative reviews. Below average pay and benefits. Lookup reviews of Tushaus Computer Services, it's the same pig with new lipstick.

I've had a couple bad jobs and bosses before but this company takes it to a new level. The more time and skills I gave, the more they demanded. I was working 70-80 hrs a week and rarely got the performance bonuses that were dangled in front of me. When I was hired I was promised that there wouldn't be any overnight travel required. I ended up being gone more nights than at home.

I took vacation time to move and my boss demanded that get a project done while on vacation. I completed and submitted it to him, only to find out weeks later that he never gave it to the customer and then he blamed me for it being late.

Advice to Management

They promote the absolutely incompetent and my former boss is a perfect example. (You know who you are if you read this.)

Management makes promises they can't (or won't) keep to both customers and employees. Then drive the employees into the ground trying to deliver.

This is the worst management I have ever had to work for. They put on a really good show before they hired me. Please do the right thing and just quit, you can probably sell used cars or bag groceries. Stop killing employees and disappointing customers. I can't believe this company is still in the consulting business.

"An okay company, but could be much better."

Former Employee - Web Developer (Front-end) in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Web Developer (Front-end) in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

Dedicated had good benefits, good hours, and some nice people to work with. The two locations I worked at are in very nice locations in the area, so there was never any stress on getting to and from work.

I rarely took work home, and if I did, it was to fix minor issues, answer some emails, or finish up a project before meeting with a client.

The current (as of 2015) CEO, Don, is very good at keeping the business going, and the global reach Dedicated has is very impressive.

If you're looking for a stable company with a good location in Wisconsin, I'd recommend this place.

Cons

A little history: I have a specialized skillset in web design, something that Dedicated liked about me when I was first hired.

Pay was decent for one of the first jobs I held, but below average for someone in my position when compared to other companies.

I was tasked to do things way outside the scope I was hired on to do. For example, a manager 'encouraged' me to work at Dedicated's Helpdesk with little to no training beforehand.

I was told there were several other developers doing what I was doing. That number turned out to be just one - myself. The other developers hadn't even touched HTML - they had other specializations suited for databases or servers. So for the most part, I did projects alone.

There were a lot of issues with how sales and other developers interacted with one another. I didn't hear anything about certain client requests until days later, and one sales rep actually FORGOT to mention a concern I had to one client, which set our team back several days trying to fix things.

Management wasn't really present part of the time I worked there. After one of the managers left, we did pretty much everything autonomously. For me, I found it confusing as I had been told there would be a bigger presence with management at an all-company meeting.

Finally, the main reason I no longer work at Dedicated was because they were unable to find work for me. Work that, ironically, they had plenty of when I was hired. What happened?

Simply put, sales reps could not understand the importance of a modern, more responsive websites, and were unable to communicate that to the clients. We also priced our work far too high - $145 an HOUR! Average rates for WI are considerably lower. That was the primary reason people turned us away, and why I had nothing to do for nearly a month before I was terminated.

If you have a very specialized skill set and this company is looking for you, I strongly suggest you turn them down.

Advice to Management

Please consider lowering your hourly rates for client projects. It's way too high for what you guys can offer.

7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Staff in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Staff in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None to speak of from a professional standpoint. The coffee is hot...sometimes.

Cons

Just don't understand the big picture, specifically in regards to promoting the company image/products/services. They believe everything can be compensated for by cold calling. The good accounts are given to the old guard and the new-bee's are left trying to make something happen against Dell and HP. Since no one outside of the host city knows them from Adam, they are failing miserably at what they are doing. Every other month there is a different way of attacking the same problem which points a finger at the incompetence of the guy with the real estate degree at the top.

Advice to Management

Get someone who has a business degree to run the company, not a real estate degree.

8. "Company with a good outlook"

Former Employee - Production Technician in Greenfield, WI
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Greenfield, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Good people to work with
    + Good place to develop technical skills/knowledge
    + Fun working environment
    + Safety is practiced and encouraged
    + The CEO is a great guy!
    + Prioritizes promoting from within
    + Company is growing b/c of providing superior service (compared to Dell and HP) and product to clients.
    + Supervisors are good at encouraging excllence in a positive manner.

Cons

- Leave your Saturday mornings open during certain times of year. You may or may not HAVE to come in on short notice.
    - Sub-par pay
    - Quality of work environment heavily depends on which manufacturing cell you are a member of and your compatibility with that team.

Advice to Management

More focus needs to be put on training cell members in more efficient technical troubleshooting skills and recovering from setbacks caused by faulty components and extraneous events, and less focus put on basic assembly line efficiency training. That training is great when everything in the cell is running smoothly, but redoing the same training in a slightly different way when numbers still aren't good isn't necessarily the answer. I found that the biggest blows to productivity were often issues that were not due to the mistakes of any cell members but to faulty hardware or software and other factors outside of technicians' control. It often took too long for the cell to discover what the issue was, and by the time it was discovered the cell was already way behind on numbers for the week.

"Would be very careful before thinking of joining this company."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers were great to work with.

Cons

They don't invest in the employees or value them. There is a lack of leadership in general. Salaries are below what the market range is. Very high turnover in employees and customers. That says a lot.

Advice to Management

Focus on what the company is good at. The global enterprise dedicated side of the business. You're failing in the consulting side and that has been evident ever since Dedicated bought Tushaus.

10. "My time at Dedicated has been very enjoyable, with plenty of opportunities to expand my knowledge."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance...not too strict about time
    Everyone is available to ask questions, and most people seem to be in a good mood
    The CEO will get to know your name
    Executives, Directors, etc. don't act like they're better than everyone
    Haven't been here very long yet, but I can imagine myself being promoted
    Frequent meetings to let employees know how the company is doing and events to get involved in
    Opportunities to attend conferences, tradeshows, etc.

Cons

Pay is a little below market rate
    No middle management, which could be good, but it also shows that it could be hard to get a real promotion.
    My onboarding/orientation was a bit lackluster

Advice to Management

More defined path to promotions
    Offer a program in which office workers can spend time in various areas of the business to get a more complete knowledge of how the business operates, and the integral role of every employee.

11. "Poor environment of micro management and leadership blind spots"

Former Employee - Manager in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has leading edge technology that can address large marketplace issues. There is a large collection of knowledge at all employee levels. Overall there is a strong work ethic among the teams and individuals.

Cons

There is a consistent shifting of executive priorities that causes huge disruptions in the operation. Most individuals feel undervalued and even though they are asked - feel that their ideas do not matter. Leadership does not want to hear the truth and is known to "kill the messenger" to stay the course.

Advice to Management

Modify execution plans with lessons learned and actual market feedback
    Search for actual root of the problem and then support the cost of resolution
    Examine and significantly improve the leadership style starting at top
    Realize there are unintended customer consequences to all $ decisions