Development Dimensions International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Development Dimensions International Chief Executive Officer Tacy Byham
Tacy Byham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I believe the company truly does care about it's people and as a result, work/life balance is great (in 15 reviews)

• The people at DDI really are great people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is an issue in some locations (in 7 reviews)

• Neither senior leadership nor HR stepped in to see if there was a better solution (in 8 reviews)

1. "Realistic Feedback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I was hired at DDI my manager eagerly supported my desire and effort to transform our team. Our communication was always driven towards this outcome. I did not worry about how others viewed my ideas good, bad or otherwise. It was exciting for me to feel like I had my career objectives under my own control. DDI gave me this control and did everything to promote it. Was everything rainbows and unicorns...uh...NO! but compared with the previous places I had worked, my view was that I could finally settle into a company where I actually felt appreciated.

Even when my Manager changed I continued with this effort and directly influenced their view of the DDI values. Believe me, not all my Managers understood the values in the beginning.

Many good people at DDI...sure not all are but those people tend to not last long here for various reasons. This in no way should reflect negatively on DDI as a company.

DDI has provided for me and my family and has become an extension of my family.

Cons

I took the time to read each and every review here until I wrote my own. It is amazing how so many negative reviews (people) just blame others regardless of which level of leadership they felt was the issue. Better attention should be made during the hiring process to identify this kind of mind set.

Not enough people working here that want to own their own success. Maybe they are just looking for a free and easy promotion path that does not take perseverance, hard work, dedication and determination. DDI's own hiring process could be improved to combat this.

Advice to Management

This is not your first rodeo so my advice is keep doing the things that will make the good people you have at DDI stay through thick and thin. Change is tough and some folks can't handle it. This is clearly evident in the reviews posted here.

Anyone who wants to nick pick reasons not to work for DDI any longer, or who slam you with bad reviews, probably don't share your vision and values. Since this is a privately owned company ultimately the direction the company will take rests on the decisions of our C-Level Executives and Company President. If this means layoffs then so be it. Some folks need to realize it is the way of the world and nothing can be done to change it and it's time to move on. If I was to be the next layoff tomorrow I have the confidence and skill set to find a new job. I also would not put blame on anyone else for it. That is what a true professional adult should do.

When the time is right bring back better raises and possibly profit sharing as we had in the past. Until then, stay determined to succeed.

2. "Administrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work there.

Cons

Manager makes ALL the difference.

Advice to Management

Get back to putting employees and clients first.

"Great, smart people, awesome talent...but"

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the department you are in, flexibility is a definite perk. Same goes with the culture. Within the right departments the culture supportive and enabling...if you are in the wrong department, it is tense and micromanaged by people who DDI has been their only "adult" job that they have turned into a career so the insecurity and pettiness surfaces when it comes to managing their subordinates. Fortunately I was in one of the "right" departments. Like every company, there are politics, but it isn't overly apparent. The PTO benefit is generous and you can earn it quickly. Change is always happening and it seems like they are doing the best they can to adapt and continue to grow.

Cons

The pay. It is NO secret at DDI that they typically pay below average for their positions, but the pay is balanced out by the amount of PTO and potential flexibility of work hours. Benefits have gotten a little better over the years, but at the same time the premiums can be painful depending on which plan you choose for medical. Pay increases are minimal, if you get one at all. Rarely is anything more than 3% giving and it is presented like you have won the lottery. Most times it just barely covers the cost increase of the insurance premiums each year. So really, you aren't getting a pay increase at all. The performance planning is a beating. Ask anyone that does them...most do not get much value from them. It is just another task that has to be done each year...now quarterly. It is supposed to be a frequent conversation with your leader to adjust the goals and development throughout the year, but with the amount of work and less and less people to do it...there is no time for the performance plan management, much less the time someone would need to take for professional development. The stress is much more than it has ever been, with revenue down and not in a growth pattern, as people leave...many times the positions are not filled and the people left are expected to take on more work and responsibility without any acknowledgement, additional compensation, or a plan to ease the work burden for the people left.
    Some of the decisions that are made regarding tools and processes are done without including the right teams to make sure what is implemented will work as intended. At the moment, there is too much change, too fast, with little regard to if it is actually functional. Moving fast is important, but moving fast without regard to the consequences of a faulty process or system is counterproductive and demoralizing to the people using it. Everything is entirely more complicated that it needs to be in the name of moving fast to implement better programs and processes. Many processes are incredibly obtuse and confusing. Asking a question is a joke, because you get different answers to the same questions, depending on the person you ask. Opportunities to move up and boost your career are available mostly to people in Pittsburgh...if you want to move up and around in DDI, you really need to be in Pittsburgh to do that.

Advice to Management

Slow down, be mindful of the changes being implemented. Quit complicating processes because there is this imaginary need to more fast to keep up with the market place. The industry knows you are flailing and scrambling to keep up. They are seeking out your talent and fairly confident they can offer better compensation in a similar work environment and less complicated processes to get something simple accomplished. ASK the end users when considering updating software. Quality check before converting to a new system to prevent months of downtime for essential systems. Make certain that employees feel fairly compensated for their time, effort, and dedication to the company goals. Do not make a 1.5% raise is generous and a crazy amount. That isn't even enough to cover inflation and cost of living increase each year.
    Continue to allow flexibility within the teams and encourage leaders to be more than "bosses." The mentoring and coaching that some leaders provide is valued. It allows people to grow and challenge themselves.

Nov 20, 2017 – CEO

As a member of our team for more than 10 years, I appreciate that you took the time to give your feedback. While I’ll try to address them as best I can while keeping this relatively brief, I want you... More

"Wishy Washy Management"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people outside the box thinking people you will work with. In IT, they tend to pay fairly. If you are in development side of the house, probably a good chance to make a good salary and have quality work life balance.

Cons

Some of the middle management doesn't seem to have a clue what they are doing. Case in point. Meeting with my leader, “you should step on people’s toes!”. Next meeting, “why are you stepping on people’s toes?”. Later meeting, “Who cares what employee X did, anyone could have hit the button!”. Month later, employee X wins the most prestigious award at DDI, for you guessed, hitting the button.

Wishy washy management at best. Maybe they are too busy trying to protect themselves to actually provide quality mentor-ship and leadership to subordinates. I don’t know.

Advice to Management

Peer reviews where the leader can select who can review them isn’t really a honest peer review. They will only select people who will give them good reviews, and then of course the favor would be returned. Probably why in my opinion DDI is top-heavy with folks you wouldn’t miss if they left tomorrow. They know how to play the DDI system.

Nov 20, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. I completely agree that we have great people who are creative and show excellent out-of-the-box thinking. I’m also happy to hear that you feel that people have a great... More

"Laid off with little to no information forthcoming."

I have been working at Development Dimensions International part-time

Pros

Flexibility, nice people, free parking.

Cons

No transparency or information on the ongoing layoff (5 weeks now). Keep getting told by managers that they don't know anything. Office is just a shadow of its' former self. Fosters a lack of trust and confidence in the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Be honest and informative. Since a lot of us contributed to the company's success for years we deserve to know if there is a future for us there or should we move on to something else.

Oct 11, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your response. While we do call on many of our part-time workers on a variable basis depending on our needs, you should expect and deserve clear communications about where things stand at... More

"Great company!"

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture and people are amazing! Such a great company to work for. Everyone is so helpful, development is always on the radar. Challenging interesting work. Love it!

Cons

the pay is not competitive. yes the other benefits and culture go a long way, but it doesn't put food on the table to send my kids to college.

Advice to Management

pay people more, they will stay and be loyal through all the changes

Sep 11, 2017 – CEO

I agree with you – the people and the culture of this company are incredible. It’s amazing to see our associates constantly exploring new options, expanding their skills, and growing both personally... More

7. "Leading change in a VUCA world"

Pros

-DDI is the original leadership development consultancy and with the new strategy, unveiled yesterday, it will be the best.
    -It’s refreshing to work with associates that listen, use empathy, and provide feedback.

Cons

DDI is navigating the new digital world of business just like everyone else. The new strategy has been needed for years, and the new CEO has the passion and enthusiasm to get it done.

Sep 11, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I’m so proud of our long history, and it’s amazing to see that our Key Principles of interaction are put into use every day by our people across DDI... More

"Going down fast - so sad!"

Former Employee - IT Support in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - IT Support in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some smart and nice worker bees.

Cons

Clueless, abrasive, agile-obsessed middle managers (and now upper-level managers), with little/no real-world experience.
    Stifling processes.
    Many miserable employees wolking around like zombies.

Advice to Management

Clean house of middle managers.
    Promote knowledgeable worker bees to middle management.
    Replace open floorplan by cubicles.
    Reevaluate software product architecture- it stinks!
    Agile is not the answer- it is the problem.

Sep 11, 2017 – CEO

I’m surprised to hear this review because our IT groups have been producing truly impressive work. In the past few years since we have introduced the agile process to these teams, they have improved... More

"The Most Honest Review You'll Ever Get"

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

As noted by everyone, your co-workers (with a few exceptions) are some of the best and easily turn into friends.

Flexibility in work schedules and tools to work remotely.

Despite what some say, there are always opportunities to grow your skills, but you have to push and you have to have the right leader. (The moral of the story: If you're in a department with a poor leader, network and find a new place/position to make a business case for - either applying for an opening, or showing them what holes you can fill and value you can provide.

With a few exceptions, you can speak your mind. If you feel you can't, go to HR or one of the good leaders, and they will listen and provide coaching.

Seeing what else is out there, benefits are probably not quite as bad as their reputation (however vision would be nice). Change to PTO vs. designated vacation days, sick days, etc. has been good.

Cons

An increasing number of people don't feel empowered, don't have supportive managers (there's a lot of the Peter Principle going on), and -as noted in some of the reviews by front-line workers - they want the "old timers" out. Note to those people: A lot of them are not the problem and they could be excellent mentors, e.g., some of your innovative suggestions were tried years ago and they can tell you why they didn't work. Then together, you can try to make it work the second time around (or realize why it won't work).

You can get ahead, but it's typically on you to prove yourself and to push, push and push harder (and often you won't feel good after jumping through all the hoops). Promotions are inconsistent and it's not explained what you need to do to get one. Unfortunately now some less deserving people are rising to the top because they excel at managing upwards.

Cutting edge products are either not there or take way too long to get to market, and when they do are too expensive and complex to appeal to buyers.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices more and mingle with associate levels; you're missing out on seeing and hearing from some great ones and you're losing touch with the culture.

Stop being fooled by those managing upwards. How? Talk to more direct reports and teams of managers. Actually conduct 360s (where the manager doesn't get to skew results by picking themselves who it goes to). You are choosing to be advised and guided by people whom others don't trust or respect (and in the reorganization you just shuffled those same people around).

Get back to a "sometimes you have to spend money to make money" mentality. It might improve product quality and quality of life. Continued cut-backs will not get you back to being a leader in the industry and will further burn out the good people you have left. (You're at risk of losing your #1 draw for customers and employees.)

Sep 1, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for letting us know your honest experience. I think many people share your perspective on the push-and-pull between fresh new ideas and the wisdom of experience. You give great advice that... More

"Interviewer"

Current Employee - Interviewer in Bridgeville, PA
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Free parking. Work at home opportunities.

Cons

No opportunities or room for advancement. No pay raises.

Sep 28, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. Our part-time interviewer jobs are designed specifically with flexibility and work from home options in mind. For that reason, there isn’t necessarily a natural... More