Development Dimensions International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Development Dimensions International Chief Executive Officer Tacy Byham
Tacy Byham

Pros
  • I believe the company truly does care about it's people and as a result, work/life balance is great (in 14 reviews)

• My favorite thing about working at DDI actually was the opportunity to advance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • no work-life balance anymore despite it's one of our values) (in 6 reviews)

• Neither senior leadership nor HR stepped in to see if there was a better solution (in 8 reviews)

"Great place to work. Unique autonomy."

Former Employee - Invoice Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Invoice Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent life and work balance. They provide generous personal time. Amazing coworkers. Strong leadership. The highest standard of workplace integrity.

Cons

Interdepartmental communication can be difficult. Everyone had a voice which is great but it made it difficult to create and enforce procedural policy.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve accountability of individuals.

"Again, don't drink the juice."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flex work schedule is wonderful

Cons

Don't ever ask a question.
    Management does not want to hear that they may have made an error or shown favoritism. That is not the DDI way. It is more do as I say and not as I do, and again, do not question any manager.

Advice to Management

Wake up. See that competition is lapping you and DDI has not caught up yet.

3. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are great to work with! They believe in feedback and listen to their people! I wish I didn't leave...

Cons

Too many layoffs in recent years.

Advice to Management

Give good people, like me, another chance...

"Fake positivity"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- flex time
    - skill development opportunities
    - some individuals are professional and nice to work with

Cons

- low pay
    - huge workload
    - disorganized operations
    - layoffs all the time
    - no advancement opportunities
    - low retention and motivation
    - top down style since new management took over
    - groupthink
    - lack of innovation

Advice to Management

It used to be a great place to work. Not anymore but they want employees to think it's the best workplace in America.
    To the manager who said "Employees don't know how good they have it"... PLEASE! Stop blaming employees for things that you're responsible for. Start listening attentively. Understand the Key Principles and practice what you preach.
    To the long tenured senior consultants and salespeople who posted heartwarming stories...PLEASE wake up and admit the truth. The company is not that rosy place anymore. Talk to staff and newly hired people. They'll tell you a different story.
    My advice tot upper management is: listen, hold your leaders accountable and recognize people for their efforts and achievements, including monetary rewards.

6. "Change is coming, slowly."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

DDI has a great work-life balance and a culture of inclusion and just friendliness. The product and services we provide are high quality and the work is usually interesting. The company is highly regarded within the industry.

Cons

There is a lot of siloing and a lack of innovation. The culture is really risk averse and I think that's hurting the brand and competitiveness as the market consolidates

Advice to Management

If you want to be independent, you need to innovate and give people the tools and freedom necessary to be creative and innovative. Reduce those silos too and do something about the clunky knowledge management.

"DDI POV"

Former Employee - Sales in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reputation stellar years ago, some very talented people still employed.

Cons

Outdated products and services, top heavy with executives lacking true leadership skills, particularly in sales.

8. "Great company to get some broad experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Development Dimensions International (Less than a year)

Pros

DDI offers a vast array of opportunities for someone new in their career to develop and learn about Talent Management at a broad level.

Cons

There is limited upward mobility once you've been promoted to Senior Consultant. DDI also tends to pay less than other consulting firms.

"Shockingly poor leadership"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people were great. I always felt like I was surrounded by an incredibly smart and supportive team. We approached challenges together and solved them through collaboration and teamwork.

Cons

I was an annual star performer during my tenure there. But out of nowhere, I was handed a pink slip. There was no explanation, no performance discussion - nothing. I later found out that I was the collatoral damage of a fight between two leaders within the organization. Neither senior leadership nor HR stepped in to see if there was a better solution. I loved my position there and looked forward to work every day. And I would have been happy to change behavior to resolve the differences between the two leaders - had I been but asked to do so.

Advice to Management

Really? After all of the focus on effective leadership and the rep as a thought leader in Human Resources? I will never forget the lesson I learned - the DDI leadership team cannot be trusted. And too bad for you - you lost an excellent employee in the process! So much for DDI Values.

"Review"

Current Employee - Assessor in Bridgeville, PA
    Current Employee - Assessor in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility is the only good thing about this job.

Cons

It's a temporary part time position. The hours are without a guarantee.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent.

"People leave managers, not companies"

Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting clients and projects, decent benefit package, opportunities to deal with different offices and international corporations.

Cons

DDI expects you to work to the bone and all departments are always understaffed. The workload is tedious and extensive due to inefficient internal processes and outdated tools. Very little to no innovation. They're always playing catch up with competitors.

Managers are two-faced and don't seem to understand how to motivate people. You need to be buddy with your boss to get a promotion.

Very low salaries. The annual pay raise is extremely low as they try to convince you that it is because the company had a bad financial year. They target young and eager employees and attempt to charm them with lots of flashy looking things, just as they do with their clients. When you take a closer look, you realize they're just a great looking empty suit.

You'll have to work on tasks and projects that are higher than your job description says. They say it's for your development but in reality it's a masked way to get more profits by relying on cheaper labor.

Stay away from this company!

Advice to Management

Review salaries and rewards! You can have the best culture in the world and nice benefits, but if you don't compensate your people adequately and don't recognize their achievements, they'll eventually leave.
    Senior management could hold their front-line and middle managers accountable for their lack of authenticity and power abuse.