Development Dimensions International Reviews | Glassdoor

Development Dimensions International Chief Executive Officer Tacy Byham
Tacy Byham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "work life balance is an issue in some locations" (in 7 reviews)

• "Neither senior leadership nor HR stepped in to see if there was a better solution" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great people and unheard of autonomy"

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

Management couldn’t be more committed to culture and employees. Have offered paid half days in the summer for years! Best part is the opportunity to work with smart and witty people, as well as the unheard of autonomy (at least in the field),

Cons

Pay currently not competitive for sales.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Appreciate the regular video updates

"On a Steady Course to Mediocrity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ten years ago, I would have been able to fill this section with "pros", but I'm hard pressed to find any. There are still some people left who are great to work with.

Cons

While integrity is a core value, it is not practiced by management. The worst offender is leadership in HR. We sell development, empowerment, and emotional IQ while we practice layoffs and "suggested" buyouts for our long-term partners before layoffs. A tough decision for some is eased by "You always have a place here and can come back when we hire again!" But when the time comes some were told that they are no longer welcome. The bottom line is valued much higher than the workforce. We used to be better than this.

Advice to Management

Get back to what made DDI, DDI. People are important. The stagnant, mediocrity that we consider success today is a direct result of dismissing the unstoppable innovation that comes when management appreciates and support their teams. Replacements need made and it starts with managers, not my valued partners that have been asked to leave, pressured to leave, or have become so disenchanted that they leave on their own. We are currently a shell of what I helped to build over the years.

3. "A Great company to work for"

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company values the employees contributions .
    Great colleagues.
    Accelerating technology footprint.
    Provides needed independence to get the work done.

Cons

possibly some employees are not as aggressive as they should in contributing towards company's growth.

4. "loved the company"

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Bridgeville, PA
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very professional outlook in corporate

Cons

There are a lot of layoffs recently

May 10, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to review. I’m glad to hear that you feel good about the outlook at corporate. Regarding your comment about layoffs, it is true that we had a round of layoffs about a year... More

5. "It was a good experience."

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

This was a good experience with both pros and cons. It was a good balance.

Cons

If asked if I would say I would there again.

May 10, 2018 – CEO

Thanks so much for your review! Glad to hear you had a positive experience here. -Tacy

"No longer the best place to work in Pennsylvania"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great PTO. Some good people to work with. You can pretty much do nothing or be incompetent and you won't get fired. Management has no clue if people actually do work or not so you can get paid for years and not do any real work.

Cons

Clueless managment. Middle management is completely incompetent. The technology is lagging behind its competitors, is dated, and poorly written. Scrum Masters have no idea how to develop software. All they can do is bark at engineers for not having their Agile cards in the correct columns. When the technology group rated it's own software below its competitors in the company's every 18 month pulse survey, the CTO said that that was alarming until he talked himself out of it and told us at a quarterly meeting that we didn't really mean it or understand it. We tell managment that there are problems and they ignore it. A lot of egos in the technology group. People actually bad mouth other people or teams publicly in meetings or privately behind people's backs. The group is clique-ish and only those who kiss up to managment get promotions and decent pay increases. Although most people are he,pful, there are a handful that put you down for not knowing things and refuse to help. Principal engineers look down at those at lower levels. Moral is low in the tech group and many walk around like zombies just waiting to be laid off.

Advice to Management

Focus on people not process. Stop demoralizing people with things that don't matter lime Agile cards. Listen to your people and stop labelin people as troublemakers or whiners or having bad attitudes just because they have ideas different than yours.

May 10, 2018 – CEO

I appreciate the time you took to write this review, and I’m glad you found the work flexible and many of the people good to work with. I don’t agree, however, that many of the people in our... More

"Company that takes it's culture seriously and practices what it preaches"

Current Employee - Product Development in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Product Development in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Devotion to preserving founding principals of the company while making big organizational changes. Work life balance is a big plus. I've been able to take advantage of paternity leave and the flexible work schedule gives me the freedom i need to relax and recharge when I need it, and give my work the focus and devotion it needs when required.

Cons

Agile/digital transformations can breed some discontent and inefficiencies, and at times consensus driven decision making slows progress. I have seen this steadily decline in my years here so progress is being made.

Advice to Management

Continue to push operational decisions down, and keep upper management focused on overall strategy.

May 10, 2018 – CEO

Thank you so much for your review. As we’ve been driving these big changes, it’s always our goal to stay true to our founding principles, and I’m so glad to hear that you can feel these principles... More

"Realistic Feedback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

Pros

When I was hired at DDI my manager eagerly supported my desire and effort to transform our team. Our communication was always driven towards this outcome. I did not worry about how others viewed my ideas good, bad or otherwise. It was exciting for me to feel like I had my career objectives under my own control. DDI gave me this control and did everything to promote it. Was everything rainbows and unicorns...uh...NO! but compared with the previous places I had worked, my view was that I could finally settle into a company where I actually felt appreciated.

Even when my Manager changed I continued with this effort and directly influenced their view of the DDI values. Believe me, not all my Managers understood the values in the beginning.

Many good people at DDI...sure not all are but those people tend to not last long here for various reasons. This in no way should reflect negatively on DDI as a company.

DDI has provided for me and my family and has become an extension of my family.

Cons

I took the time to read each and every review here until I wrote my own. It is amazing how so many negative reviews (people) just blame others regardless of which level of leadership they felt was the issue. Better attention should be made during the hiring process to identify this kind of mind set.

Not enough people working here that want to own their own success. Maybe they are just looking for a free and easy promotion path that does not take perseverance, hard work, dedication and determination. DDI's own hiring process could be improved to combat this.

Advice to Management

This is not your first rodeo so my advice is keep doing the things that will make the good people you have at DDI stay through thick and thin. Change is tough and some folks can't handle it. This is clearly evident in the reviews posted here.

Anyone who wants to nick pick reasons not to work for DDI any longer, or who slam you with bad reviews, probably don't share your vision and values. Since this is a privately owned company ultimately the direction the company will take rests on the decisions of our C-Level Executives and Company President. If this means layoffs then so be it. Some folks need to realize it is the way of the world and nothing can be done to change it and it's time to move on. If I was to be the next layoff tomorrow I have the confidence and skill set to find a new job. I also would not put blame on anyone else for it. That is what a true professional adult should do.

When the time is right bring back better raises and possibly profit sharing as we had in the past. Until then, stay determined to succeed.

May 10, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for putting the time and effort into your review. As someone who has been with DDI for more than 10 years, we deeply value your views on how the company’s changes have affected the employee... More

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work there.

Cons

Manager makes ALL the difference.

Advice to Management

Get back to putting employees and clients first.

"Great, smart people, awesome talent...but"

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the department you are in, flexibility is a definite perk. Same goes with the culture. Within the right departments the culture supportive and enabling...if you are in the wrong department, it is tense and micromanaged by people who DDI has been their only "adult" job that they have turned into a career so the insecurity and pettiness surfaces when it comes to managing their subordinates. Fortunately I was in one of the "right" departments. Like every company, there are politics, but it isn't overly apparent. The PTO benefit is generous and you can earn it quickly. Change is always happening and it seems like they are doing the best they can to adapt and continue to grow.

Cons

The pay. It is NO secret at DDI that they typically pay below average for their positions, but the pay is balanced out by the amount of PTO and potential flexibility of work hours. Benefits have gotten a little better over the years, but at the same time the premiums can be painful depending on which plan you choose for medical. Pay increases are minimal, if you get one at all. Rarely is anything more than 3% giving and it is presented like you have won the lottery. Most times it just barely covers the cost increase of the insurance premiums each year. So really, you aren't getting a pay increase at all. The performance planning is a beating. Ask anyone that does them...most do not get much value from them. It is just another task that has to be done each year...now quarterly. It is supposed to be a frequent conversation with your leader to adjust the goals and development throughout the year, but with the amount of work and less and less people to do it...there is no time for the performance plan management, much less the time someone would need to take for professional development. The stress is much more than it has ever been, with revenue down and not in a growth pattern, as people leave...many times the positions are not filled and the people left are expected to take on more work and responsibility without any acknowledgement, additional compensation, or a plan to ease the work burden for the people left.
    Some of the decisions that are made regarding tools and processes are done without including the right teams to make sure what is implemented will work as intended. At the moment, there is too much change, too fast, with little regard to if it is actually functional. Moving fast is important, but moving fast without regard to the consequences of a faulty process or system is counterproductive and demoralizing to the people using it. Everything is entirely more complicated that it needs to be in the name of moving fast to implement better programs and processes. Many processes are incredibly obtuse and confusing. Asking a question is a joke, because you get different answers to the same questions, depending on the person you ask. Opportunities to move up and boost your career are available mostly to people in Pittsburgh...if you want to move up and around in DDI, you really need to be in Pittsburgh to do that.

Advice to Management

Slow down, be mindful of the changes being implemented. Quit complicating processes because there is this imaginary need to more fast to keep up with the market place. The industry knows you are flailing and scrambling to keep up. They are seeking out your talent and fairly confident they can offer better compensation in a similar work environment and less complicated processes to get something simple accomplished. ASK the end users when considering updating software. Quality check before converting to a new system to prevent months of downtime for essential systems. Make certain that employees feel fairly compensated for their time, effort, and dedication to the company goals. Do not make a 1.5% raise is generous and a crazy amount. That isn't even enough to cover inflation and cost of living increase each year.
    Continue to allow flexibility within the teams and encourage leaders to be more than "bosses." The mentoring and coaching that some leaders provide is valued. It allows people to grow and challenge themselves.

Nov 20, 2017 – CEO

As a member of our team for more than 10 years, I appreciate that you took the time to give your feedback. While I’ll try to address them as best I can while keeping this relatively brief, I want you... More