Development Dimensions International Reviews

3.4
Development Dimensions International Chief Executive Officer Tacy Byham
Tacy Byham
Pros
Cons
  • "The senior leadership at DDI has their head in the clouds as to how great the company used to be and still thinks they are in the same position(in 9 reviews)

• "Terrible work/life balance was the result and way too much stress for the salary(in 8 reviews)

"Lived up to the hype."

5.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a truly wonderful company which literally helped me become a better person during my years of employment. I would love to work there again if there was a role I could do, but they seldom have hired since around 2014/15's hiring freezes (and since 2016 I haven't seen too many technology job postings officially listed). Most employees spend a decade or more at the company (even the IT/development staff) and the company shrank from the period of 2012-2016 so only a handful of new hires I recall in the period. There were also a number of senior management retirements in 2015/2016 with a few other senior members leaving since then as I have noticed on LinkedIn, so I imagine it would be a bit different than in my time than today. Tacy and I were not friends but I did know her as she worked her way up from I think VP to SVP to CEO. She did not have an easy task coming into the role due to the company's situation, but it has not been sold (as I expected) and is still in business so I'd say she's doing something right. If you apply for a job there you will be put through several layers of assessment and interviewing, at least two online tests, a phone screen, and a Targeted Selection panel interview. Not the easiest place in the world to get into, I only got in due to a minor miracle. Vacation time was generous as were other benefits (inc education reimbursement which was 10K a year). Other departments are friendly to work with and were frequently staffed with master's or doctorial level psychologists. Generally speaking your boss will listen to you and implement constructive suggestions. Management used to survey us frequently anonymously for opinions but this seemed to drop off around 2015/2016.

Cons

People stay there for a long time and once you're in you tend to get pigeonholed into a role for a long time before there may be an opportunity for change or advancement. Career progression was slow to nonexistent which management acknowledged at the time and may have corrected since 2016. If you're looking to break out of a technical role and become a supervisor or manager, your chances are slim to none as nearly everyone around you has many more years experience and an MBA or PhD to boot so you won't be considered. Health insurance plan wasn't very good at the time.

Development Dimensions International2019-09-06

"For Agility, Creativity, Integrity...Look Elsewhere"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

Genial, diligent employees; not much organizational politics; comfortable physical office space including field offices; long-legacy reputation; sound, solid, high-quality products; top-notch past and current client list; strong offerings in the executive and leadership development markets; international presence provides opportunities to learn about global implementations; I found it to be an excellent place to gain foundational HR consulting experience, for several years.

Cons

Severe and rapidly accelerating talent deficit - 90% of the best people I worked with while there have left; excruciatingly slow decision making - endless dithering and indecisiveness takes a massive toll on motivation; employees are burned out and stressed out, seeing little connection between their efforts and success, due to consistent challenges over the last decade (even before COVID); family leadership structure creates an impermeable black box about why decisions are (or aren't) made; many years - and many dollars - spent on technology that only allowed the company to, at best, stay 3-5 years behind its competitors; far too many products leading to far too much spreading-around of limited resources; business model, culture, and solution set all work against success in a post-COVID business environment.

Development Dimensions International2020-05-24
  3. "Challenges ahead"

Former Employee - Manager in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The associates at DDI always made things pleasant.

Cons

Difficult time now at DDI because of the industry challenges. Major layoff in April where many senior associates were laid off. Culture has changed not for the better. Decision making used to be done at lower levels but has risen back up to the senior leaders over the past 4-5 years. Autonomy to perform job has been decreasing over that time.

Development Dimensions International2020-05-26
  4. "Good culture"

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Work/life balance Summer hours

Cons

Salary is lower than average

Development Dimensions International2020-03-14

"Semi-Positive outlook, Poor mechanics"

Current Employee - Service

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people. Flexible hours. Lots of vacation. Positive career growth.

Cons

NEGATIVITY POCKETS: Culture of negativity (hidden from upper management) has stifled growth resulting from a desire to not actually implement change PROCESSES ARE NOT FOLLOWED: There is a push to process work without having the correct paperwork in place to secure revenue. This has gone one for over a decade in my tenure here. You simply need to complain high enough up the corporate ladder. DISCONNECT: People are very specialized in their roles. This works to an extent (and in great benefit for the most part) but there is no overlap. This means work is delayed because you have departments telling other departments what needs done when job duties are not properly assigned or the work in questions does not fit under the skillset of the position tasked with the assignment. This holds up a lot of work and/or creates flimsy patches to fix the issue which morph into bigger problems month or years down the line.

Development Dimensions International2020-02-01
  6. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing culture with both career and financial growth in sales role. PTO is great. Autonomy. Industry reputation for leadership solutions and research is unparalleled. Heavy investments For Innovative products in recent years. Recent reorg has put the company in a great position to grow. High value meaningful work.

Cons

Internal processes can be very complex to learn and navigate. Heavy focus from leadership on CRM and forecasting although systems are challenging to use.

Development Dimensions International2019-11-23

"Good Company"

5.0

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good Pay -Fun office events -Management cares about their employees -Heading in the right direction

Cons

Not many Cons as things are changing

Development Dimensions International2019-08-19

"Basically good company"

Former Employee - Project Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility w/work hours; small, private (not huge corporation) company

Cons

Significant changes and additional responsibilities put on employees with no input from or no increase in salary

Development Dimensions International2019-07-23

"Sales"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Used to be great company with good people

Cons

The fact the the CEO feels compelled to respond to every comment posted here on Glassdoor is a prime indicator of just how out of touch the management of this company has become. You will notice the degree to which every negative comment is turned back on the commenter that they “should have come forward” and that she’s “sorry they feel the way they do”. Defensiveness, arrogance, and disingenuousness abounds and is the MO of the company’s management. This is a sinking ship and has been for many years.

Development Dimensions International2019-04-12
  10. "Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Data Science Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time for less than a year

Pros

- New team - Many things to learn and explore - Very welcoming

Cons

- There are some cons associated with the startup culture, like the lack of direction at times. But the management is very understanding and approachable

Development Dimensions International2019-03-06

Development Dimensions International Response

March 27, 2019CEO

Thank you for taking the time to review! I’m glad you’re finding your experience at DDI very welcoming and interesting. As we’ve been around for almost 50 years, I’m not sure what you mean by your comments on our start-up culture, unless you’re working in one of the pockets of our organization designed specifically for innovation, which has a little bit less structure to encourage exploration into new ideas. I’d be happy to hear more from you about how you envision things, or you can share with your leader. I’m glad to hear you’re having a good first year here at DDI! -Tacy

Found 198 reviews