DialogueDirect Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
DialogueDirect CEO Mike Wakeland
Mike Wakeland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I learned a lot from the people I worked with and the job itself" (in 10 reviews)

• "Helps build communication skills big time" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Aside from the physical demands of standing for long hours, it's definitely worth the opportunity to meet new people" (in 15 reviews)

• "Better be ready to bust, this job is not for the faint of heart" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"We Have Fun!"

Current Employee - Fundraiser in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a new-hire but so far so good.
    Great Energy! It's a hard job, but very rewarding and my coworkers are amazing.
    Lots of opportunity

Cons

It's a hard job.
    But they take good care of us.
    If I could make one request it would be.... creamer and bagels with the coffee.

Advice to Management

Allow us to also host fundraising events.

DialogueDirect Response

Aug 7, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Welcome to the team! We will make sure the feedback about creamer and bagels is passed on, you need fuel in the morning to be a great fundraiser. Great feedback on the events as well. Thank you for... More

2. "Don't let your dreams be dreams. Just do itttttttttttt! Make the world a better place, one conversation at a time"

Current Employee - Site Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Site Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It doesn't even feel like work... with opportunities for growth, travel, and financial freedom, what's not to love?

Cons

Sometimes you run into grumpy people who just don't get it

Advice to Management

Target system is cool. I get it, most of us do, however I feel that some people might take a bit longer to get comfortable with the job than is allowed. Someone who is willing to put themselves out there and ask people to help charity is hard to come by. Don't let them go

3. "SF Office- Great place to hone communication skills for motivated action takers."

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Excellent communication coaching from a passionate leadership team.

-Fantastic summer internship opportunity for those willing to expand their social comfort zone.

-Great pay for hard workers who can bring the charm, class and passion.

-SF City Coordinator creates a safe space for motivated team members of all walks of life.

-LGBTQ encouraged to apply.

Cons

-C-suite is out of touch with local office operations and culture.

Advice to Management

-Invest more into recruitment department as this is will unlock more canvassers walking through the door.

-Treat recruiters similarly to canvassers both in terms of coaching and competitive pay structure.

-Reorganize management structure to allow local city coordinators more scheduled weekly contact with the national recruitment manager.

"Amazing potential"

Current Employee - Canvasser in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Miami, FL

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This kind of work isn’t for everyone, but it’s overwhelmingly rewarding. You get to talk to amazing people all day. Coworkers are fantastic and the opportunity to grow is endless. The job has a lot of freedom and welcomes anyone that’s willing to learn.

Cons

the way that pay is split up is unnecessarily confusing. They work on a point system per donor and it’s just hard to understand. People can often be very rude so their is a lot of things you put up with as a canvasser. If you let even one comment get to you then it’s the death of you that whole day.

Advice to Management

In comparison to other street canvassing companies I have worked for this company is desperately lacking structure in the way we canvass. Coming up with your own rap and the way we talk to people directly affects donations. If there would be one clear concise message it would be more effective. Training could be a lot better as well; instead of just throwing people into the field it would be much more effective to baby step them into it.

"fundraiser"

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

it allows you to work on skill and give you an easy resume boost

Cons

The job takes a toll on you and from week to week. It is a very stressful job with low pay for the amount of work you will be require to put in.

Advice to Management

if you going to offer a job that requires you to travel you should pay for their transportation

"THIS IS A FAMILY AND A CAREER NOT JUST A JOB."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coming up on my 3 year Anniversary with Dialogue I felt it was important to reflect on my time here and finally write a review. Especially since I've been a leader here since my 3rd month on the job and I feel like I really understand the ins and outs of the company and the importance of the work we do.
    So here we go:
    1. Weekly Pay (Hourly AND Commission)
    2. After 90 days full health insurance benefits (vision , medical & dental)
    3. After 90 days PTO kicks in (20 days a year & 5 sick days)
    4. Skill share lessons every morning to get better at the job
    5. Super inspirational impact meetings as well to kick start every day on the right foot
    6. We play GAMES! Yes I said it! GAMES!
    7. LOTS of travel opportunities both national and international
    8. SO. MUCH. GROWTH. You are your only limit at this job otherwise there is no ceiling limiting you. It's not just a job it's a career, a lifestyle & a mindset. You will become a better PERSON just working here.
    9. You'll also meet some of the best people in the whole world at this job. I thought after I graduated from college I wouldn't be able to create the kind of close knit family relationships I made back then but I HAVE! Some of my best friends I've met at this job. We are a giant family here. You'll always feel like people have your back!
    10. And lastly, you are helping charities who need it and who's causes are really worth fighting from or!

Cons

You will need to build up a thick skin and not be afraid to ask for help. I see a lot of people write that the weather can be a con at this job but that's only if you make it one. I view extreme weather as a easy way to meet people who truly care and weed out the people who don't.

ADVICE: I can definitely say over my lengthy time here that one of my only regrets is not standing in the snow or rain but not asking for help MORE OFTEN and being less defensive when I'm receiving feedback. You are your own worst enemy at this job. If you live in your head your dead. Make sure you are OPEN to feedback and that you ask for help when you are stuck. Too much pride can be a downfall in this line of work. Just walk in our doors with a positive attitude and a strong work ethic and rely on our systems and structures to help you and the OPPORTUNITIES ARE ENDLESS!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what y'all are doing! Especially to my City Coordinator - I wouldn't still be here or be as successful as I am today if it wasn't for you believing in me! Thank you!

7. "Working at Dialougue"

Current Employee - Site Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Site Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay (for those willing to work for it)
    . Travel opportunities both nationally and internationally

Cons

. Working in awful weather conditions and having to remain positive throughout
    . Long hours to begin with and a lot of learning before you receive the benefit of the pay structure

Advice to Management

Look at more than just personal production in your leaders. Excellent fundraisers don’t always make the best leaders.

fair distribution of new starters to leaders based on performance and aptitude.

8. "Experience at DialogueDirect"

Current Employee - Entry Level Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Entry Level Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid hourly and commission , hours are get , and boss is great.

Cons

Pretty far from where i reside

Advice to Management

None the management is great .

9. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Boston, MA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team is great, this is the first job I've had where coworkers feel like family. The job can be challenging but the work environment is very supportive. There is definetly money to be made here just have a good work ethic, student mentality and attitude.

Cons

There are days when you doubt yourself and the public. Some people don't like adverse weather conditions.

10. "Great Way to Start Your Career Path"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Boston, MA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

-Build great relationships with the people you're working with

-Grow in communication and leadership skills no matter your background

-Have a sense of pride knowing the work you are doing is helping charities change lives

-This is a great way of building up job experience for people who are looking to start a career

Cons

-Sometimes you can get in your head and this will affect your performance, which in a job like this affects pay.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your staff, especially those who come in hungry for leadership.