DialogueDirect Reviews | Glassdoor

DialogueDirect CEO Mike Wakeland
Mike Wakeland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Aside from the physical demands of standing for long hours, it's definitely worth the opportunity to meet new people (in 12 reviews)

• There is an extremely high turnover rate (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"We Have Fun!"

Current Employee - Fundraiser in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a new-hire but so far so good.
    Great Energy! It's a hard job, but very rewarding and my coworkers are amazing.
    Lots of opportunity

Cons

It's a hard job.
    But they take good care of us.
    If I could make one request it would be.... creamer and bagels with the coffee.

Advice to Management

Allow us to also host fundraising events.

Aug 7, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Welcome to the team! We will make sure the feedback about creamer and bagels is passed on, you need fuel in the morning to be a great fundraiser. Great feedback on the events as well. Thank you for... More

2. "philly office"

Current Employee - Dialoguer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Dialoguer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some of the best people ive ever worked with!
    valuable skills taught
    good pay/heath benefits
    always potential for growth in the company

Cons

working in all types of weather! but youll get ised to it!
    some negative nancys that can easily throw off your mindset

3. "Dialogue Direct Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fun group of people to work with
    -commission!!!
    -you're making a difference while getting paid

Cons

-long hours, working outside
    -you'll get rude comments/looks from passerby-ers

4. "Communicating with the public on the streets of New York City on behalf of a non-profit organization"

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

Great team environment allows for performance improvement

Cons

Competitive pay based on signups

5. "A once in a lifetime oportunity"

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

Paying for my Harvard course tuition became an issue after my mom decided she didn't share my perspective of life and therefore wasn't going to cover any of my expenses. Being the persistent person I am I immediately started looking for a job that would allow me to pay the amount I had to gather in less than two months. So I came across a Dialogue Direct ad on the internet and realized that helping others (fundraising) was among the things I strongly supported. I wanted the job but there was one tiny little problem; People skills was not one of my strengths. But I was determined to give it a try and as I always say; Be the best version of myself. I went to the interview and to my surprise Sara, the manager, was more than polite with me. She made me feel like I mattered, so after talking for a while she told me that I got the job.

At Dialogue Direct they made sure I had everything I needed to develop my skills. My superiors provided me with innumerable opportunities to help me achieve the growth I was looking for. Their support meant my success, and consequently after three months, I had not only attained my monetary goal, but made twice that amount (over $6000).

What I love the most about this company is that anyone who is willing to put some effort into their performance will see the results. I was also thrilled by the fact that I could make as much money as I was willing to work for. My growth depended solely on my determination to work for it, and the company made sure I knew they had my back. In Dialogue Direct not only did I thrived at doing something I didn't knew I loved, but they also gave me the opportunity to travel and visit other cities. Dialogue Direct made me grow not only as a professional, but as a person as well.

I could go on and on about my experience at Dialogue Direct but it can all be reduced to one word "EXCEPTIONAL".

Cons

The only con, if I can be called like that, is that nothing comes for free. You can make as much money as you want but in order to do so you will have to work for it. By "work for it" I mean the usual 8 hour-working day and not a minute more after that.

Feb 2, 2018 – Public Relations Coordinator

Wow, thank you for this heartfelt, stellar review! We are a great place to work because of passionate people like yourself who have worked so hard to make this place your home, and we're proud to... More

6. "Street Fundraising Superstars"

Former Employee - Site Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Site Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly Paychecks
    Clear Performance Bonus Structure
    Hourly Wage
    Simple Promotion Structure
    Monday-Friday job
    Opportunity for travel

Cons

You will work in all types of weather
    People on the street
    High turnover of staff

Advice to Management

I do have a few ideas:

1. While I understand the importance of individual office cultures- I would have loved to have the opportunity to connect with all of the dialogue employees. I also think that executive staff should get a shout out during orientation/ maybe an email after- so that new staff can know about other roles (a good example that I can think of is Eden and table events- which was mentioned right here on Glassdoor by a former employee)

2. The travel trip that I went on was very unorganized; last minute planning is never good for pet owners, family-driven employees or people like me who simply need more than a day to research area weather and then pack. Give people a bit more time to prepare to leave.

3. Every office should have an office assistant/ human resources person. I was told there was a former role that did this sort of thing. It should come back. Not only do I believe it will improve the efficiency of your city coordinators, but I believe this role can also empower recruiters to perform better as well.

4. Create structure and a culture that allows for negativity and criticism to be expressed. For many people- the constant need to be high energy and happy and "blue" is really draining and leads to burn out for even some of the best fundraisers.

Jan 18, 2018 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your thoughtful and well written review. This is excellent feedback, especially points 3 and 4. We appreciate that you took the time share your thoughts and we will be working our... More

7. "Dialoger"

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It does you allot about funderaising and sales. Its a great stepping stone to a carear

Cons

Everyday different which is a benfit and a postive.

8. "Overall Nice Experience"

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

Getting paid commission for sale will never be bad

Cons

A lot working in outside weather, which can be problematic for business.

Jan 11, 2018 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your work with us and your review!

"Meh"

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

Fun Team
    Valuable Skills Taught
    Good Hours

Cons

Passive Aggressive Leadership
    Uncomfortable space for POC

10. "They falsely advertise themselves and what they stand for (they are for profit)"

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Easy to get hired
    -Hourly pay is decent
    -Helps build communication skills big time

Cons

-They cleverly avoid advertising the job as "canvassing" even though it is (so physically demanding)
    -Must travel to sites, yet no compensation for transportation costs (including parking).
    -They seriously are either violating or finding loopholes in overtime laws. If you do not meet quota you are asked to work overtime yet YOU ARE NOT PAID FOR IT! That's right, you are paid by the hour yet they stop the pay at 40 hours even when you work beyond that. I left as soon as that was demanded of me. Others did it as they needed the job that badly.
    -Terrible HR, city coordinators have no one to answer to.
    -They are FOR-PROFIT!!! This is not a place to truly be involved with charities and non-profits
    -Unrealistic expectations. I rarely saw people meet quota and bonus pay (the pay they advertise with). They have expectations for donors even though few meet it, virtually none consistently.
    -There are no protections for LGBT individuals. So be cautious if you live in a more conservative area. And my goodness, they want to say they are about caring and being progressive? Unreal in 2016-7.

Advice to Management

There really needs to be a much clearer picture of what the job entails when advertising it. Also, you must have better HR. City coordinators can be tyrants (as mine was). He/she was very demeaning and rude. He/she even demoted two team leaders via text despite having a team leader meeting that morning. Unprofessional. Also, I received hostile reception when my CC found out about my sexual orientation. No violation of company policy there. I guess LGBT people are not welcome with the company. Very unfortunate.