DialogueDirect Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
DialogueDirect CEO Mike Wakeland
Mike Wakeland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This job is a great opportunity to make money and gain experience (in 6 reviews)

• Develop phenomenal communication skills (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Aside from the physical demands of standing for long hours, it's definitely worth the opportunity to meet new people (in 11 reviews)

• 10/hr base pay for an incredibly exhausting job--physically and mentally (in 9 reviews)

"Great opportunity and learning experience."

Pros

I've learned more about communication and marketing at this job than i have in earning a bachelors degree.

Team/Family oriented culture where you genuinely feel like everyone wants you to succeed

The people that work at DialogueDirect are incredible, an opportunity to make life long friends

If you have a student mentality, work hard and focus, you will be successful

You actually feel like you're making a difference in the world.

Work Trips are the best and so much fun!

Cons

This is a face-to-face canvassing job where you will be standing for 8 hours a day asking people for sustainable donations under any weather condition.

It's amazing how terrible some people on the street are

Advice to Management

This job at times is mentally and emotionally draining. A few people i know have gotten verbally/physically assaulted by the public and not much compassion was shown from upper management. You tell these kids that "it's a mindset" but it comes off more like "repress it". And some of the stuff that we have dealt with is not okay to just tune out. I understand its a job, be these are also the people that make you money.

Stop advertising this job as "brand ambassador" or "Marketing Specialist"

Sep 11, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback and review, on both the good and the bad. We are always trying to find the best description of the position, because what we do is so unique. We agree that support for our... More

2. "Charity Brand Ambassador"

Pros

Management promotes an honest and close knit culture that is exciting to be a part of. Your coworkers genuinely care about the charities they're fundraising for and you're doing good work. You also meet the best kind of people out on the street. Skills wise, this job helped me sharpen my communication/networking skills. Patience is key.

Cons

You're expected to work unpaid overtime and the job can be physically and emotionally draining. Management is unsympathetic to you being harassed both verbally and physically on street and there is also a high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Do not advertise this job as a "Charity Brand Ambassador", this is street canvassing job. This is not your typical marketing job. Also chose a more diverse set of sites to canvas. Some sites have been overused and rarely produce anymore donors.

3. "Overall okay"

Former Employee - Direct Fundraiser in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Direct Fundraiser in Chicago, IL

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool people to work with, very patient

Cons

extremely tough work and flawed leadership

Oct 30, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your review! We'd love to get more detailed feedback from you in the future.

4. "DO NOT RECOMMEND"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

The people you work with tend to be pretty laid back and nice.

Cons

The hours are long, pay is crappy, you stand on your feet all day in ANY weather conditions. This job is physically exhausting. They will kick you to the curb in no time. It is like a revolving door at this company. They fire and then hire.

"Having fun while making change"

Current Employee - Fundraiser in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a street canvassing job
    Meet new people
    You can be creative
    Fun team builders
    You will be helping charities

Cons

Standing for 8 hours a day
    High turn-over rate
    They'll ask people to write reviews
    Sometimes people can be jerks
    People who quit quickly give the job a bad rep

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with the office and team dynamic. When the size or transitional times of the team fluctuates, its good to keep a positive outlook and not blame workers for not caring. The managers are amazing but more TLs are in need for starting an office. It keeps a variety of opinion.

Sep 11, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your work and your review! We hope to see more of our Team Leaders grow and build their own offices, as well!

We do encourage fundraisers to write reviews, but we find that anonymous... More

6. "This organization needs a better handle on HR"

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

-learn sales skills that can be easily adaptable to any future position
    -not a desk job (for those who are not interested in being in an office!)
    -get your foot-in-the-door in the nonprofit world

Cons

This place is an HR nightmare. There is no line drawn between personal and professional life at this company.

Oct 30, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for submitting a review. We'd love to hear more detailed feedback on your views regarding our company culture. We think that our team-oriented atmosphere is a strength, but we're always... More

"Tough Skin, good skills"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job, helps a person become more professional. The people here are AMAZING, you get to make a difference and it truly shows. A chance to go to different cities to make a difference.

Cons

It's canvassing, you will stand outside in all kinds of weather. There is some passive aggressive comments, make sure you have tough skin.

Advice to Management

Don't compare people who've been there for months/years then days/weeks. Good things take time.

Aug 17, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your work and your review. It does take mental fortitude to be successful here, thank you for your advice to applicants. We agree that good training and the building of skills takes a... More

"A true opportunity to love your work!"

I worked at DialogueDirect full-time

Pros

First off i want to say ive had many jobs after Dialogue Direct and its taken me years to finally find a place as much as i loved Dialogue Direct.

Co-workers are very friendly and supportive!!

Ive never had a job that i really felt like i was making a difference besides this one!

There are also so many career growth opportunities. It really is a job that rewards hard work and in no time you can establish yourself!

Cons

It is an outdoors job but hey that could also be a pro!

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on finding great people to help make our world a better place to live!

Aug 7, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your work and your review!

"Great growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Site Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Site Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's amazing place that offer training everyday, they will help you grow more than just professionally but in a life aspect too. They offer travel trips and other great opportunities

Cons

It can be a hard job in the beginning but worth the work. End the end there are not many cons to this job it is just about resilience.

Aug 7, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your thoughtful review. The work is challenging, and without determined, passionate fundraisers like you, we couldn't do what we do for charities. Thank you for your dedication and... More

"Great First Job"

Current Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DialogueDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to talk to all kinds of people, Get to know your city, Travel opportunities, and meet nice coWorkers.

Cons

Lots of sunscreening, it's tough if you're prone to stage-fright.

Aug 7, 2017 – Public Relations Coordinator

Thank you for your review!