Dieste Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dieste CEO Greg Knipp
Greg Knipp

1. "A good sense of community, co-workers that feel like friends"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dieste full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Breakfast Tacos, Tacos, TACOS. Cake for your birthday, and fun, really stress releasing company events. Great benefits and (mostly) flexibility to advance in your title if you ask. Mostly flexible work-life balance, despite harsh deadlines during crunch time.

Co workers are friendly, and never cut-throat. There is no reason to battle each other, or have an "every man for himself" attitude, and when it's time to work or when time is tight, employees are always asked what can be done to help accommodate their workloads. Upper management has always remained relaxed but attentive, but very resourceful when offering advice.

All in all, most of people who work here are down to earth, experienced at what they do, open to feedback, and good to work with. Everyone is mostly level-headed and easy to talk to. You can't have a company without the people, and Dieste excels in that regard.

Cons

Overall, the biggest issue is communication, both with upper management and client lead management-- and though it's not a deal breaker, it adds unnecessary discomfort and doubt to a potentially simplistic work life. Better understanding of workloads and how people execute their own work between departments.

Advice to Management

Pump the breaks on some of your business practices, more communication with employees. Get more people to talk about agency culture/who are doers and executors, not overthinkers. We're all in advertising because we overthink, we come to work to find clarity in our ideas. Just a little food for thought. Settle on an idea for what agency we are, and make sure your employees are on page.

2. "breakfast tacos... and more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dieste full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dieste offers a great work-life balance, with a very generous PTO plan and flexible work hours. They demand that the job gets done and that deadlines are met, which sometimes requires late nights and weekend work. In exchange, they give employees a tremendous PTO plan, monthly breakfast tacos (with guacamole... who doesn't love that?!) and birthday cake, and frequent company celebrations with employees gifts, libations, food, and frolic.

Bonuses and Raises are given as allowed by account.

Dieste supports several worthy non-profit organizations and encourages the employees to participate as able, either with time or money. Not only does this benefit the organizations, but also builds comradery among employees.

Cons

There could be better company communication regarding org charts, which are sometimes vague.

Advice to Management

For the love of everything holy in this world, please let teams sit together. They are doing it anyway, by gathering in clusters from their assigned desks. It causes confusion and makes it impossible to find people when you need them.

"Focused on creativity and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dieste full-time

Pros

Amazing culture and family atmosphere. Focused on creating creative work for clients which is important to me.

Cons

Should look into getting additional quiet spaces for employees to work.

"Culture is Everything"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dieste full-time

Pros

Culture is everything here. Camaraderie is unparalleled due to the close-knit size. Everything is fairly organized via online systems such as basecamp, and it seemed that most everyone has the opportunity to step outside their roles to expand their horizons and take on more responsibility. Creative feedback is welcome in meetings across all departments, regardless of whether you're in account, planning, or art direction.

Cons

Roles are not outlined according to position. Many different accounts have completely different expectations of juniors vs. directors. Not always are objectives explained in order to employees to advance - almost seems like promotions/raises are more tenure-focused and less accomplishment-based.

Advice to Management

Continue promoting the great family-filled atmosphere at the company, but lay back on the heavy dependence of awards to indicate whether your agency is producing great work. Cannes Lions and other awards are not the only indicator of success, and once everyone comes to terms with this, respect will be more evenly dealt through all the hard workers in the company.

5. "One-of-a-kind Culture"

Former Employee - Texas in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Texas in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dieste (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people who make up an engaging and vibrant culture. This is a creative place that thrives on the interaction of employees and their cultivation of ideas. It's really a fun and exciting agency to work at. If you enjoy learning and making creative contributions (regardless of your job title), you will thrive at Dieste.

Cons

It's big and public, which limits your ability to earn a big promotion or a sizable raise. But I guess that can be the case anywhere...Obviously, your opportunity is what you make of it and if you kick butt and stand out, you WILL be rewarded...

Advice to Management

Keep driving the culture to collaborate and create. It keeps the day-to-day experience more interesting and rewarding.

"Casual and Comfortable"

Former Employee - Digital Strategy in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Strategy in Plano, TX

I worked at Dieste (More than a year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere and super friendly employees throughout the organization. Senior leadership genuinely cares and it shows. Regular company meetings provide transparency on client accounts. Leadership does a good job of keeping employees in the know with current industry trends and topics.

Cons

Outside of senior leadership the company is filled with extremely young staff with a good amount of inexperience at every position and there seems to be no effort expended to locate employees with real agency experience. If you smile and say hello to everyone that will be enough to keep you in solid employment.

"Dieste cares about their employees, and works hard to develop a culture that keeps people interested & motivated."

Current Employee - Account Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dieste full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people that work at Dieste make the place special. There is a real sense of belonging.

Cons

Monetary recognition & promotions don't always seem to be awarded based on merit.

Advice to Management

Work at further cultivating & growing the junior people that excel, and be fair to them with adequate promotions & raises in a timely manner.

"Not a place for longevity. Just a pit stop on your way to something better."

Current Employee - Creative Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Dallas, TX

Pros

Blue Chip clients
    a decent launching pad.

Cons

Account Executives set the schedules. Even the most inexperienced are allowed to set timelines...why?
    Upper Management too busy trying to look cool, rather than guide and learn more.
    NOT DIGITAL SAVVY. They let go the only professional that understands the digital landscape.
    Directors are not experienced enough to make informative decisions.
    Steals from clients. Over estimates, cash grabs the clients.

Advice to Management

Start over. Clean house from TOP to bottom.

9. "Art Director"

Former Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dieste full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks like real advertising agency

Cons

More training needed for growth

"Nobody has a clue."

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dieste full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were friendly, atmosphere is relaxed. Work life balance was pretty good when I was there.

Cons

I guess a lot has changed since I was last there, but I don't know if things are any better because of it. When I was there, I could not understand how this place stayed afloat. The creative department was made up of a lot of incompetent people who were friends of the CCO, and had been there for a long time. A lot of creative directors who didn't even have teams to direct. The amount of work was ridiculously low in comparison with other agencies I've been at, and there were people there that, to this day, I had no idea what they ever did, if anything.
    A lot of creatives were just dead weight, lazy, and well paid. The AT&T account is what was keeping this agency's head above water, and only one team worked on it. The other people did pretty much nothing except take up space. The agency hadn't won any new business in a long time, no awards, nothing. Just coasting. They axed the CCO shortly after I left and replaced him. I found out they fired a lot of the CCO's friend's who did nothing, but some still remain. They replaced the CCO with someone else and hired a bunch of young people paying them peanuts, but as far as I know, there really hasn't been much in terms of results. No new accounts, or significant awards. This agency is going nowhere.

Advice to Management

Pay more, for people with experience who know what they're doing. Ease up on the hiring of people who need visas just because you can exploit them and pay them lower than industry standard wages. In the round of firings, I know you fired a lot of people who were some of the few that worked hard and were good at their jobs (along with the ones who were dead weight). It seemed the firings were done indiscriminately regardless of people's performance and they were just done arbitrarily. Win some new business for crying out loud and stop doing the fake ads. Nobody cares about that and everyone knows they're fake. Win awards with real work, that's what real agencies do.