Direct Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Badar Khan

Pros
Cons
  • Although they believe in a work life balance, it is sometimes hard to leave at the end of the day (in 10 reviews)

• Door to door has been banned by govt so selling is more challenging (in 6 reviews)

1. "Senior Risk Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Risk Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Risk Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid-back environment with good employees. The benefits were OK but below what competitors offered. The atmosphere was great for collaboration.

Cons

Salary increase was somewhat lagging and there were some layoffs sometime back. There was a hiring freeze in the department that suggested growth issues but has since been resolved.

2. "Category Manager"

Former Employee - Category Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Category Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible working environment with open communications

Cons

Upward mobility for workers to enter into management

3. "Good Starting Point"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct Energy has a very unique culture within the call center that allows for individuals to be themselves. There are support groups for LGBTQ and Women as well as fun sales contests within the teams. Starting pay is fair for the work. Benefits package is competitive and even allows for domestic partnerships to be covered. PTO is on an accrual of x amount of hours per week depending on length of service.

Cons

Bonus structure changes often and well educated people find themselves aching for a chance at advancement with very little available. Those that do advance often just move to a different department doing very similar tasks for minuscule raises in pay. Moving outside of the call center whether it is for advancement or just remote work puts you at risk for the lack of training and support that comes from existing as a home agent which can lead to reduced performance and morale. I would recommend DE as a good springboard job, but not a company to grow with.

Advice to Management

Get Workday together and provide better channels for advancement. Many people come to DE loving what we stand for, however leave for more supportive opportunities.

"Finance is not a meaningful development opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits - health, 401k, and new unlimited vacation policy. Flexible work was a positive - providing opportunity to get the work done on time from home as needed. I had a great manager, plus the next-up manager was accessible and great to work with. Most individuals are good to work with and helpful. The company is trying hard to compete in a very challenging industry by restructuring. Pretty innovative with new ways to create value for the retail energy customer.

Cons

This is strictly a job until you land somewhere else. The primary problem is the hyper competitiveness of the industry, tight margins and low manager maturity. This results in regular restructuring. But, in fact, it causes teams to relearn the processes and then fix issues repeatedly. Thus, it is hard to make long-term progress in improving processes and results. There is limited career progression for a couple reasons. First, in my humble opinion, some senior managers are either inexperienced or plain bad people managers. Secondly, HR doesn't have a seat at the table and therefore the managers don't get the benefit of best practices. There is a bit of the Dilbert mentality in management - some people get promoted very fast or probably too fast, beyond there competency, others languish and then leave. Promotions are not really based on competency, more on favoritism.

Advice to Management

Set a path and then stick to it. Spend more time developing people. CFO and Finance Leadership need to create and deliver compelling messages that will motivate the entire team. Then consistently communicate and provide updates.

5. "What a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Learning and Development in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Learning and Development in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, culture, career, fun, inclusive, flexible! Best place I've ever worked.

Cons

We work in many different systems and in a matrixed organization. This can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard as we always have to keep the strength of our great culture alive! Great to work with you all.

6. "great benefits and environment"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

big company, room to grow and move to different depts, great benefits, lots of opportunity , access to career training etc

Cons

political as most corporations are, the customer gets lost in the big picture - shareholders come first

Advice to Management

listen to some calls, understand your customers

7. "It is a great company!"

Current Employee - Digital Conversion Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Conversion Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and everyone is very helpful

Cons

Everything is perfect i wouldn't want to change anything

Advice to Management

Nothing

8. "HVAC Installer"

Former Employee - Installer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Installer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, worked all the overtime hours I wanted during most of the year, my coworkers were awesome, and all training was done on the job.

Cons

Less than ideal management in some departments, it's a relatively seasonal trade that slows down a lot more in the winter months.

Advice to Management

Respect and honesty towards employees goes a long way.

9. "Growth Within"

Current Employee - Texas Inbound in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Texas Inbound in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company will promote within, great benefits, everyone knows everyone, family oriented and team motivators

Cons

Too many opportunities in the company

Advice to Management

Stick to the roots of the business and hire off experience not interviews

10. "Tempe Call Center"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Site Director who just left was amazing! He tried hatd to make it fun place to wor . Community involvement. Birthday And anniversary cards from Site director.

Cons

Senior Dire to doesn't u detstand u . New pay meetings last week were terrible. Pay plan robs top performers. Supervisors are getting pay cuts. Need our Site Director back! He cared--really. Stop sending our calls and jobs to vendors. It robs us. The building is empty because we outsourced our jobs.

Advice to Management

Please bring our Site Director back. Change Senior Director/VP. PY us the right pay on time. I can't miss more bills.